Does anyone have a Unicomp board? Would you recommend it?

Does anyone have a Unicomp board? Would you recommend it?

(Isn't there usually a mechanical keyboard general thread?)

Attached: Classic104%20white1000x1000[1].jpg (1000x1000, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Main_Page
deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=15238
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Had a Unicomp, the typing feel is nice and feels like a Model M, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The keys are extremely loose and the chassis creaks a lot. You're probably better off just getting a Model M off eBay.

But...muh Windows key.

its been over what 20-30+ years since this keyboard came out? how about you look up reviews on whether or not you should get one. buy what you like you dumb zoomer fucking nigger lover

I got an Ultra Classic very recently, I'll repost my brief "review" from /mkg/:

My only big issue with the Unicomp Ultra Classic is that the case flexes and creaks a bit. Of course it isn't really something that you'd notice when using it regularly, so I suppose it's debatable on how much that matters. Otherwise this one doesn't really seem to suffer from the issues I've often heard about Unicomp, like problems with the molding, the text on the keycaps being completely misaligned (although as a user pointed out in the previous thread, the font is now narrower), or the switches feeling less smooth than an older IBM Model M. The cable gutter fucking sucks, though; you can barely squeeze the USB into this thing, unfortunately. Also, I wish it was all beige instead of a beige/black two-tone on the case. My black desk doesn't make this so noticeable, at least.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase. Maybe I just got lucky, but this is probably the most "consistent" recent purchase I've done; my FC980C for instance has a lot of weird inconsistencies about it that annoy me, and for a 260 dollar keyboard that was quite disappointing.

Don't have the loose keys problem on mine at least.

Attached: IMG_20190823_030535.jpg (1333x1000, 970K)

Very sexy looking keyboard you've got there. I don't have a problem with brand logos but the way they had it before was ugly.

how did you get the plain windows keys? did you buy them separate?

>purchase I've done

do you know how old you have to be to browse this site? your mother wants her 260 dollars back. picking a unishit over a leopold, fuck, why did you waste your time and our bandwidth typing that shit only to provide us with the revelation that you have clogs for fingers? you spanner.

I ordered a few blanks with the keyboard just in case. They're very cheap, so you might as well.

I recommend getting the 103 key versions if you grab one. The bigger spacebar is absolutely worth it.

Leopold makes nice keyboards, but their switch options are pretty bad. Cherry is garbage, and Topre is overrated. I'll probably keep my FC980C for games or something, but it really wasn't worth the money at all. I was especially surprised by how mediocre the caps were - the PBT is exceptionally thin and bend very easily. Aside from that, the stabilized keys were super loud which stuck out like a sore thumb on a keyboard which uses rubber. I opened it up and lubed it, but for 200+ dollars you'd expect better quality.

shit quality is the general consensus, and particularly when its a descendant of the keyboard known for its ridiculous quality, that's pretty unforgivable.

It's about the same quality as a blue badge M, which is the model that Unicomp used to make back when they were still Lexmark. Only the old silver badges and especially the silver square badges were known for their ridiculous quality.

>Don't have the loose keys problem on mine at least.
Cool. I did on mine though, hence why I returned it and never looked back.

They are decent keyboards especially for the switches, but if you aren't in the US I would hunt for an older M in your area, preferably one that hasn't been used too much. This is because Unicomp charges a lot for shipping, and if your model has a problem it will be a big pain

Their customer support is great but it's easiest if you're in the US

>for games or something
yeah you do that, I hope the something is sticking it up your ass sideways
>exceptionally thin
what are you comparing them to? GMK doubleshots? they are possibly .1mm thinner than topre caps,
>200+ dollars
perfectly fine quality and price for a niche product, hit me up when you get a moon board that creaks, then you can bitch

Reminder that Topre fanboys are the Applefags of the mechanical keyboard market. Imagine paying out of the ass for shitty rubber domes lmao

This is now /mkg/
previous bread:
use the search function to find the following:

"/csg/" for cheap shit and free links to aliexpress
"/wdg" for html4/5 code monkeys
"hpg" for headphones

copy paste this link for instructions on making your life a living hell
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Main_Page

Attached: 1.0x0.jpg (384x259, 17K)

Yeah, I just realized how very "works on my machine" my comment was.

reminder that mech fanboys are chads with offices of their own, lone working quarters and basements far away from their parents. imagine paying for some chinese clicky clacks just to become the most vilified person in the office, get a fucking job you neet

I've had mine for two years. The keys wiggle and there's actually a fucking problem with the control board not connecting properly so for the past two years, I've struggled with numerous keys working intermittently and some keys (namely the 'L' key, activating twice.
Recently however, I've figured that tilting it at a angle and pressing down on the control board makes it behave properly.

The thing itself is too long so using a mouse (particularly for gayming) can be annoying as you bash into it. I'd like to cut it down into a SSK form factor. Many people have done this mod and I like the results.

Summary, I cannot recommend it. But personally, I don't want to get rid of it either.

SSK MOD: deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=15238

Attached: SSK mod.jpg (3264x1836, 1.52M)

yes, yes

But someone else made an /mkg/ in the aftermath.

No. I have one and the build quality is shit. Phantom key presses everywhere. Don't waste your money on it and get a real Model M

That looks fantastic. I hate the way modern keyboards look with the awful fonts and garbage RGB

>The keys are extremely loose and the chassis creaks a lot
Exactly the same problem I had on mine. For a keyboard at the price they are asking this isn't acceptable. I stopped using mine and won't buy another one

You should just get a used Model M in good condition. Shitty build quality in a $90 keyboard is unacceptable.

I don't know why you didn't just return it. If there's one thing Unicomp is good at, it's repairs. I sent them my old SSK for a repair and they stitched it up for me very well, even cleaned the internals too.