Windoes

Hey windows users, do you like steam?

Your computer is now a part of Russian teenagers botnet and all your private information is being auctioned off on a tor marketplace along with human organs and low grade meth.

That's right - there's a vulnerability in Window's steam client that lets attackers gain admin privileges onto your computer.

Don have windows 10? Doesn't matter windows 7 and 9 are also affected. Have Windows L-STD? Then your extra screwed because LTSC was never supposed to be used with steam so they won't even check for the vulnerability there let alone patch it.

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/22/microsoft-windows-10-steam-gaming-windows8-windows-7-warning-upgrade-windows/#6a3f43a1606d

By the way, that latest update is no longer compatible with Bluetooth speakers.

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/24/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-bluetooth-warning-upgrade-windows-10/#7daf149a67f2

Windoews, just werks!!!

Attached: Steam windows client.png (728x380, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/22/microsoft-windows-10-steam-gaming-windows8-windows-7-warning-upgrade-windows/#6a3f43a1606d
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/24/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-bluetooth-warning-upgrade-windows-10/#7daf149a67f2
steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1602638506845644644
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking
steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864980277856935367/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whatever nerd
it just werks

>Hey windows users, do you like steam?
>Your computer is now a part of Russian teenagers botnet and all your private information is being auctioned off on a tor marketplace along with human organs and low grade meth.
>That's right - there's a vulnerability in Window's steam client that lets attackers gain admin privileges onto your computer.
>Don have windows 10? Doesn't matter windows 7 and 9 are also affected. Have Windows L-STD? Then your extra screwed because LTSC was never supposed to be used with steam so they won't even check for the vulnerability there let alone patch it.
>forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/22/microsoft-windows-10-steam-gaming-windows8-windows-7-warning-upgrade-windows/#6a3f43a1606d
>By the way, that latest update is no longer compatible with Bluetooth speakers.
>forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/24/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-bluetooth-warning-upgrade-windows-10/#7daf149a67f2
>Windoews, just werks!!!

Attached: OP.jpg (800x491, 73K)

Hahah! This is so him!

nigger

ok nerd.

steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1602638506845644644 ok

>steam
This is Jow Forums, not /v/

>That's right - there's a vulnerability in Window's steam client that lets attackers gain admin privileges onto your computer.
oh honey no, you're in over your head
when you install any untrusted software into windows, this is what happens, it has nothing to do with steam

the only thing steam is facilitating is the installation, there is still no "attacker", you are just installing trojans and complaining that you've install a trojan, sweetums

now how about you go get a glass of warm milk and go to bed, my dear
you have school tomorrow, this is finally going to be the year you pass remedial english, i'm sure of it

>when you install any untrusted software into windows, this is what happens, it has nothing to do with steam

When you install trusted software into windows a user can use links to gain admin privileges?

what?

how many of you smooth brains are on this board?

>Windows's steam client
Good thing I run GNU/Linux instead.

>When you install trusted software into windows a user can use links to gain admin privileges?
baby boy, yes
there's many sources, not just rootkits like the epic store

so, assuming that I've only purchased legitimate hentai RPG games and no Russian free-to-play malware games on Steam, am I fine?

that's fucken terrifying if true

>Reads up on vulnerability
>It's not a remote vulnerability

Op is fag.

yes and that's windows, user privileges only work until you press "accept" and use software
that's why users shouldn't be allowed to install software and need to defer to the administrator

Yes
OP is making a mountain out of an anthill

1 any vulnerability can be a remove vulnerability because any computer connected to a network has the potential to be accessed remotely by a hacker

2. I don't use steam but as I understand it you gotta be hooked up to the internet to use it and most of the servers are unofficial servers mean you don't know who the admin is

your understanding is poor, either research it or be silent

Wrong, this isn't a hack that can work via remote in the slightest.

You have to login as a user and use Steam as just a user, and this hack elevates Steam's privilege to admin and must be done by the user.

That's it, this is literally as threatening as "invoice.pdf.exe"

Damn, the chinks are fucking desperate to do something about steam

when do they resort to just outright trying to murder people for using it?

Nigger your english is retarded, cease this retard posting.

>2. I don't use steam but as I understand it you gotta be hooked up to the internet
Stop it stop right there faggot... you're being mentally impaired... by your own retardation!

nigger if you are using steam you are using sessions

how hard would it be for someone to expoit that to get into your computer and then use the steam client to get admin access to your computer

if would be fucken easy espeically if it's the voluteer admin of the server doing it

Attached: NOU.jpg (640x454, 49K)

>how hard would it be for someone to expoit that to get into your computer
you would need to install a remote access trojan for this to happen
steam itself is not one

the rest of your post is not relevant, be silent till you learn what you are talking about
if you aren't going to be silent, ask questions, you do not have knowledge so stop trying to share any

Please learn how to write in English before spouting nonsense.

Steam is a storefront and as such it is held to a higher standard of security or else there's liabilities to be had in court and money for , but since your pants on head retarded on:
>MUH UNKNUWN UDMINUSTRATUM BEHUND DA INTERWEBZ

You will never be able to get your point across.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Windows is a piece of shitshow but your talking worse shit.

Those applications require admin rights to install but the application being run has rights of the current executing user. Any exploit like this was usually used by governments because they are so incredibly rare and cost so much.

Gaining rights by symlinks is one thing but becoming root through sumlinks shenanigans is insane even for Windows.

>you would need to install a remote access trojan for this to happen

no you don't if you can access their steam session to get onto their computer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking

>windows 7 and 9
>9

>Any exploit like this was usually used by governments because they are so incredibly rare and cost so much.
past tense?
steam has been using these commonplace methods for 90% of the years that windows has had user access control in the first place
it's all just to be able to access the fucking program files directory
if you have anything that can write to program files, then what you are running has insanely elevated privileges, but it is also a nigh requirement in order to get windows to behave

if it was an exploit, it would have been patched a long time ago
it's not an exploit, it's a feature, just a fucking dumb one

>no you don't
yes, you do
in order to attack remotely, you're going to need to have installed a trojan
steam is not the trojan, it is the installer
you still must run the trojan, it does not automatically run even if an installer has installed a trojan
we're not talking about chinkware here

so someone would have to successfully distribute a trojan via the steam store or another pirated piece of software, right?

or just use the cookie submitted between the steam server and your computer and gain access into the computer. can be doe through a public wifi or can be done if someone on the volunteer server team decided to be malicious one day

Good bait

Good thing i only play on console

When you edit the registry you can make it start a different program than what it thinks it was going to start.
How is this a vulnerability? If you can change the registry you are more or less able to anything you want already.

>so someone would have to successfully distribute a trojan via the steam store
yes
>or another pirated piece of software, right?
not relevant, if you run a trojan that you download it's user error, it has nothing to do with anything else that you are running

>or just use the cookie submitted between the steam server and your computer and gain access into the computer
there is no such animal

I hate windows 10 with a ceaseless burning passion but posts like yours just discredit the actual issues.
The first article you linked is by Gordon Kelly, forbes's primary anti-MS shill and even he recognized at the end of the article that this is on valve not m$:
>While a lot can be laid at Microsoft’s door for its recent mistakes and subtle deceptions, this one is on Valve

and this is wrong
>LTSC was never supposed to be used with steam so they won't even check for the vulnerability there let alone patch it.
the service branches still receive all security updates

Leave the misinformation out, there's plenty to criticize already and you're just discrediting your other valid points, like windows update being consistently broken.

>no such animal

steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864980277856935367/

Attached: KZJzICg.png (1920x1034, 340K)

>Windows 9

Attached: 1473402974808.jpg (516x600, 35K)

>playing gaymes

You deserve to be exploited.

Attached: 21ABC9FF-893C-4267-9467-1EB627F68203.png (1062x942, 301K)

please, stop being such an ignorant illiterate
you are a dangerous entity to humanity
you serve absolutely no purpose by being this way deliberately

just stop
you are not a position of authority, you are not a position of knowledge
please find your guardian and have them direct you to proper education services, you could be a boon to society but right now you are anything but

you are not connecting any dots here whatsoever, you are not providing any relevant information to remote access
all you are saying in the end is "if i use a trojan, i am infected"
every single thing is massive amounts of deliberate incompetence and willful self infliction of vulnerabilities

it cannot be defined as an "attack", when you do everything to yourself, knowingly

steam on windows: has it's own service for privilege escalation
steam on linux: just installs itself and it's games in your home folder so it doesn't ever need to escalate, it also has no client service. easy to sandbox

There are so many ways to escalate user privilege that an exploit like this is not Scarry much at all.

Infact, chances are you could prompt the end user for admin rights and 9/10 they will do it without questioning. Seeing how to pull this off you need to be running software on their PC anyway.

cope harder op

no that's not what I'm saying

what I'm saying is

1 go on unoffical steam server, server sends your system cookies as per normal process.

server admin can access your computer using the cookie.

and due to steam they have access to your computer

2 go on any steam server on a public network, have cookie intercepted, hacker now has admin access to your computer

Steam is a fucken online system, you use it online and you use it over servers that you don't know who it's run by

to pretend there's no risk of remote hacking from using steam is a willfully blind cope

Genuine retard.
This was fixed in the last client patch.
You absolute fucking brainlet. I know this is Jow Forums, but stop being so retarded.

Yet look at all the winfaggot shills in this thread who need to be back oin /v/.

You're late, retard-kun. It's already been fixed.

Yet it still tries to read /etc/passwd. Check it yourself with strace.

/etc/passwd doesn't contain passwords in any modern distro
/etc/passwd is considered public information

I need me a good botnet

mood

the user who owns the PC is the administrator you dumb fucking shitstain