Is programming without IDE a meme? why would anyone waste their time when it comes to programming?

is programming without IDE a meme? why would anyone waste their time when it comes to programming?
I can imagine maybe doing that with Python but let's say C++

Attached: 220px-Peter_Griffin.png (220x320, 59K)

IDEs are more complex than they need to be. Programming C++ with just a text editor, compiler, and CMake is arguably pretty simple.

Dont list to this guy, guaranteed he's never worked a day in industry because everything he said is completely fucking retarded. Grow the fuck up and get off this board kid.

You don't need to work in industry to code. In academia you have a lot of people developing in vim + cmake

I find that IDEs tend to be better for object-oriented languages like C++ and Java. The exception is ruby, for various reasons. Even so, I've used vim to write changes and bug fixes to open source software, when I only wanted to do something simple, in those cases, it saved me time and effort.
The benefit of using vim for me is that it stays about the same over many projects. So if I am doing a one-off job or working on something small, rather than screwing with an IDE I'll just stick to what I know well. For larger projects, an IDE usually becomes necessary, so it's worth setting one up, or if it's an old project you are taking up work on, hopefully there is already an IDE set up that you can use.
I'm looking forward to neovim becoming capable of integrating into IDEs so that you can get the best of both.

I do science and work mostly on remote clusters, ergo I have to write and compile code on said remote machine. Emacs+Tramp+gcc/gfortran+CMake is pretty much all I can (or want to) do. Plus, our codes don't tend to be THAT large, most algorithms are somewhere between 5k-30k lines. My lastest beast is about 7k in Fortran2008, spread across 15 files or so, and it took me about 8 months to get it where it is now.

Makes sense. In academia, there's no pressure to be productive.

Oh, the opposite is true. You don't have time to click through colourful menus when you're running an experiment at cern and you need to debug your data acquisition system that was "finished" just in time. I'm not talking about the large ones, but the smaller ones involve a lot of hacking. Of course, if you have a job where you come at 8, leave at 4 and have several 20 minutes breaks, you don't feel like clicking shit wastes your time.

I've heard so many people say that they use vim or emacs because they are working on remote computers. What I don't understand is why they are running the editor remotely. If you have remote access, then you can edit the file using a local editor. There are plenty of ways to do so. I personally use vim, I don't really know emacs, but vim has the ability to edit files over ssh and ftp. Even if emacs has no such feature, you can use something like SSH FUSE.

I've been memed into using emacs. Setting the thing up was very frustrating and I'm not finished, although it was a fun experience. It was surprisingly useful in a Scala project I've had, and that's a IDE heavy language. Now I'm using it for c and it's pretty comfy.

Not sure if I would recommend it though

>If you have remote access, then you can edit the file using a local editor.

No, not if remote forwarding is disabled and a firewall closes all ports except 22 and a few niche ones already listened to by some daemon.

I think ssh access (on port 22 or wherever) is enough for sshfs or whatever.

Not without port forwarding.

If you can SSH in then you can edit locally.

But why use vim/emacs locally with ssh forwarding when the exact same program runs on the remote host?
>setting up
I've never used emacs, but if you spend more time configuring your editor than coding, you're doing something wrong.

Using Vim or Emacs over SSH requires zero configuration.

We have deadlines in academia just as you do, and meeting those deadlines and producing deliverables is important for continuing to receive funding.

>academia
>deadlines
lol you lazy fucks receive funding for doing nothing all the time
you should all be dead

I see you have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about.

If you don't produce papers, you don't get funding.

Also if you have a bad reputation, you can't just go to another company. Everyone knows everyone in your field.

The only IDE I use is Notepad++

winbabby

Back in the day it was certainly doable and even preferable (due to graphical UIs being laggy), but now, with autocompletion and as-you-type syntax checking, there's no good reason not to use an IDE. If you're using a proper statically typed language, just autocompletion on its own saves you so much time that you would have spent looking up API documentation. Nevermind all the good stuff that's expected to come with IDEs (graphical debuggers, refactoring tools, etc).

Oh wow, you mean those gigantic projects in academia that are thrown away and never maintained after the paper is submitted? You must be an expert in software development then.

You have been visited by Vixen Dyatlov.

This thread is currently reading 23 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 107K)