You are right. It's not GNU/Linux, it's actually JUST GNU. Don't believe me...

You are right. It's not GNU/Linux, it's actually JUST GNU. Don't believe me? Install Debian or Ubuntu and take a look at it.

You see that desktop environment? It's a GNU project. You see that toolkit? It's a GNU project. The core utilities? GNU. The C library? Also GNU. The compiler, assembler and linker? GNU, GNU and GNU. The bootloader? You guessed it. And this is just a fraction of all the GNU shit present in your system.

And what is the "Linux" in this OS? The kernel. Period. Wew, lad.

GNU made this. Linux put the cherry on an already baked cake. And this is why my operating system is the GNU Operating System.

Attached: 1200px-Heckert_GNU_white.svg.png (1200x1173, 97K)

remove Linux and nothing of these works anymore

Attached: 1512864316596.jpg (645x729, 81K)

How's The Hurd coming along? Will it be ready by 2050?

so wait, if i install cygwin on windows, does that make the whole thing gnu?
nah man, gnu is just a bunch of programs running on top of the linux operating system

You can run all this on top of another kernel just fine. Debian has a BSD version. You can install a HURD OS. Hell, you could even run it on top of windows if you really wanted.

What does your kernel do without any GNU shit?

>*crickets*

we'd just run it on BSD, linux kernel is expendable

>What does your kernel do without any GNU shit?
>what is Android

HURD is the living proof that without linux, no one would be talking about GNU

Attached: 1511730115983.jpg (221x250, 5K)

If you took all the GNU things on a normal """Linux""" installation and got them running on top of the NT kernel, of fucking course it would be a GNU system. What names the OS? The 80% of the project (GNU) or the kernel?

>BSD, HURD
hobbyist project

>Linux distros, Android
successful project

Learn the difference

Attached: 1463497404895.jpg (302x302, 86K)

>Android
Exactly. Why isn't it called Linux instead of Android? Because Google built an OS on top of a kernel. The kernel does not name an OS when another people made the majority of the work.

the operating system is the program which brings the machine to a state where it can run user programs, and handles disk I/O, processes, and hardware I/O
linux takes care of all of this
gnu is a nice set of programs to help make linux useful, but the parts used on linux isn't an operating system

>What names the OS?
the official name, not your personnal arbitrary and autistic vision of the life

Attached: 1463077074278.png (304x366, 231K)

>Why isn't it called Linux instead of Android?
because it's a specific larger distribution of software
same reason you'd call a system "ubuntu" or "gentoo"

because Android is the official name choosed by Google to sell their product
see

Are you retarded? There's no "official name".

>there's no official name
>so you must call it

Attached: 1486296803667.jpg (640x720, 152K)

because you aren't talking about a single product but about a whole family u retard
Ubuntu is Ubuntu
Manjaro is Manjaro
Linux is Linux
GNU is GNU
Ur mom is a whore

More like

>there's no official name
>so you must call it by the name of the 90% of its base components

if there's no official name, then fuck you i'll call it niggerdicks if i damn well please

>You see that desktop environment? It's a GNU project.
But my desktop environment is KDE which isn't a part of the GNU project, neither is the Linux kernel. They are compatible with their license now but they didn't originate from the GNU project. Those two are a large part of the system when you think about CPU cycles during actual use.

GNU is bloat. Compare the source code of GNU coreutils to the OpenBSD coreutils. OpenBSD coreutils are usually 1/10th the length of their GNU equivalent and the code is elegant and beautiful.

Unless you're using HURD, you're retarded at best, dishonest at worst.

Your pussy ass operating system had to use Linux because you fucknuts could not develop your own.

Even now a true BSD user will note that even your punk ass cursor stutters more during multitasking.

BSD is clean, no bullshit and it what you wish you understood.

But your not a Unix man who understands the *nix philosophy your just a Unix boy is should I say GNU boy?

Peeper in your coke old Russian joke!

Attached: Reddit.png (800x480, 212K)

You can run GNU without Linux
You can run Linux without GNU
GNU/Linux is a useful term to describe a system where they ARE working together (most distros). But as an umbrella term it doesn't make sense.
The only umbrella terms that really work are "*nix", which is a bit too broad and "free software" which is not always accurate.

b&r

>remove Linux and nothing of these works anymore
What do you think Debian/kFreeBSD and Gentoo/kFreeBSD is?

Also, you think Gnome and KDE doesn't run on FreeBSD?

Ok thanks for todays flamebait, Microsoft. I'm off back to my Linux activites now. Bye.

Attached: adorable clickme.jpg (217x250, 9K)

Read the post, retard.

>he says, even though GNU/NT is a thing and more widespread than GNU/Linux

nice b8 m8 i r8 8/8