Your digital life is spread across all kinds of accounts, apps and services

Your digital life is spread across all kinds of accounts, apps and services.

Every one of them does only one thing and is controlled by someone else. They work great, but they're really just big, dystopian toys.

The limits of these fake, single-purpose computers are clear. People deserve better.

urbit.org/primer/

Attached: 1200px-Urbit_Logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbit.org/primer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

p2p decentralized networks is the future really, this is a cool project OP, you should check out "Blockstack" aswell.

Still have no idea what this does. It stores my Facebook data? Wtf does that even mean?

Do I get a VM from this? Do I have to have a VM running this? What does it do?

It doesn't really do much yet desu. If the project works, you'll eventually be able to use it to do whatever you would do on a computer now, except without 3rd party meddling. It's ancap software-- bottom-up organization, privacy by default, robust to censorship.

Yeah you get a VM from this

I can do that now though. Self-hosting is a thing. And I don't need all the memes Urbit comes with to do it.

Find a better logo

Attached: 1566803586961.jpg (2000x1193, 209K)

urbit had it first reeeeeeee

The idea is to make an ecosystem where everyone is self-hosting and not just some lonely autist. Not just self-hosted individuals but self-hosted social networks.

i don't like scrolling entire pages of blank colours with 2 words on them
tl;dr on what the fuck it is?

> You own it on Ethereum – no one controls it but you.

> you own this abstract information that you associcate with yourself and you can control it remotely...
> except the concensus of miners with the most compute power concentrated in china and the logic we wrote into the software that can be changed with a fork :^)

so basically a worse blockchain?

so much time and potential wasted, looks useful just like yet another unix distro

instead of picking the standards (btc or eth blockchains) and improving them

>urbit.org/primer/
sounds like 2nd life to me. Is it a fork of second life?

>The basic idea is, you need someone to sponsor your membership on the network. An address that can't find a sponsor is probably a bot or a spammer.
>probably

> everything written custom with no reason
> years and years of time before deliver
> a whole website and no clear explanation

yep this belongs to Jow Forums - the autism home™

>Azimuth is virtual land on Ethereum
Stopped reading there. Advertise your shitcoin somewhere else. Nice buzzword usage though.

Attached: 1565204512421.jpg (400x400, 16K)

Not a friend of Ayn if you catch my drift.

everyone is so keen to jump on the "muh datums" bandwagon and make all these flashy diagrams while deliberately avoiding to explain how this would fit into the real world. the main thing no one has been able to explain, is how exactly do you retain full ownership of your data when it is passed over to third parties?

inb4
>it's ancap sofware, there is no third parties
no you fucking nigger, if you're the only one who can see the data and there's no actual exchange, then you're not technically doing anything with it and it is useless. it has to be transferred to another party in some way for it to be of any use.

>muh encryption
encryption can only be used to prevent eavesdropping. your data needs to be decrypted at the recipient's end and once it's decrypted, someone else has it. they can copy it and there's nothing you can do about it. the only way to prevent it is for the data to never be decrypted in the first place, but cases where that's feasible are rare and most likely already have working implementations (e.g. PayPal).

>muh blockchain auditing
as above, once decrypted, data in text form can be replicated/copied and no form of transaction signing, watermarking or other kinds of auditing can ensure that you can prevent access to it once someone else has it.

This is how their explanation goes:
We built some community shit. Rich people buy from us what we call "galaxies", you buy a planet from someone who has bought a star from a galaxy owner. So far this is second life shit we are talking here. Buying digital real estate. renting real estate etc. Now what do you do with this real estate. You advertise your prescence and all hook up for a jamboree where we sing all the songs about picnics and holidays and sunshine. Wtf is it for? What can you do with it? Well that's up to you but we envisage IBM sending a bunch of highly skilled role players to show you shit n shit, oh did we mention our linux distro? basically you pay us to stick your shit on your own server and then we charge you for linking your server up to other servers hmmmkay that's all

>the data I give to companies is data that's in their database
Wooww brooo so deep bro pass the blunt bro le botnet bro woah can't wait to post this epic epiphany on readit brooo woah bbbrrroooiii

Attached: 1524290391278.gif (800x371, 193K)

>people deserve better
says who? fuck off with your morality bs

>an ecosystem where everyone is self-hosting
is this supposed to be a good thing?

>The idea is to make an ecosystem where everyone is self-hosting
See the thing about this is that it sounds great on paper. It's a neat idea, self-hosting is great.
But the reality is that, to this day, only a very small minority of internet users even have connections fast enough to support it.
And even if you solve the speed issue, you still have the issue of ISPs insisting on using GCN which practically disables any sort of self-hosting on their network without paying for a public static IP.

This is yet another novel idea that only lonely autists will make use of because the vast majority cannot.