I can't decide whether to be a SysAdmin or a Web Developer

I can't decide whether to be a SysAdmin or a Web Developer.

I'm slowing going insane.

Please advice me.

Attached: 1565860308832.jpg (500x459, 39K)

go totally insane and then decide

well if you are already slowly going insane you'll turn into a web developer eventually

then he will decide to write his own operating system

Huff chlorine until the literal voice of god tells you to build the third temple into an operating system.

bump

Attached: do-the-pink-pepe.gif (450x506, 3.34M)

Don't become a webdev

Sysadmin. Comfy. Plus web devs are bottom of the barrel trash tier.

in javascript

do you enjoy programming?

Is sysadmin actually a good job or is it just a meme?

sysadmin HOWEVER make sure you're more useful than just "I run the server". Management will see that you're idle 90% of the time so ensure you have a least an elementary understanding of like PC hardware so you can troubleshoot. Or learn a programming language that can help you in your server endeavors (C++/Python). Sys-Admin is slowly disappearing as a PURE sys-admin. You don't want to take on too much responsibility unless the pay is fantastic because management will then lay people off and load their work on you. But you still want to make yourself difficult to replace.

t. Sysadmin who does all of the above and the place slowly went to hell in a 2 week span because I was out on medical leave while my co-admin was on vacation

Management will swear you do nothing, but as soon as shit hits the fan, you're their savior. The best admin is the one you never see. If you see your admin running around, shit has well and truly hit the fan and splattered everywhere.

Attached: 1566124221863.jpg (500x509, 27K)

Really depends on where exactly you work and if you like what you have to do.

This is genuinely good advice.

This unironically makes me appreciate my sysadmins more. I hardly ever see them.

Why not both? Get the RHCSA cert and continue on with with web development

Not a sysadmin but I agree. Use many different technologies and make proprietary scripts that you obfuscate before using to deploy servers and what not. Make yourself impossible to replace to where the whole operation will fail without you. When you want to leave you can train someone else or give up obfuscated source code.

sys admin pays less and is boring automation

web dev means you can work

combine programming and sysadm skills and become devops

>sysadmin vs webdev
Choice is clear: sysadmin
>sysadmin vs backend dev
Not as clear cut: I lean towards backend dev, as low level as you can go (think basic algorithms data structures and compilers).
Although NDAs tip the scale over sysadmin.
It sucks to be a developer and your hard work and thought is locked behind NDAs.

>devops
What is DevOps?
No really, I don't get it

Sysadmin, easy choice

Drop them both and go Network Admin/Engineer

They're kinda like the EMT's. The only time you ever really see them working is when things have truly gone to hell and people are hurt. Most under appreciated of medical field
>proprietary scripts
This is actually why shit went to hell by me when there was no sysadmin on site due to my medical and my co-worker's vacation. We both have out own set of scripts and we audited each other's to ensure they won't conflict with each other. When we go home for the day, we take pretty much stop our scripts and automated processes, "unplug them" and let the next person use theirs.

Also management is usually cool if they're around your age. We had a time where on our normal day off, the sys admins were called in to completely turn shut down all services and servers for an entire server room overhaul/new hardware. So we had to do full images, recover those images on the newer hardware, restart all services to make sure they work right, etc. Me and my co-admin have like 75% of the shit automated now so we got shit done in record time and once one of the servers was fully operational and updated, co-worker and I setup a Quake Arena host. Manager caught us when he came in with pizza and had no complaints other than wanting a turn. This is the same manager who is a hardass on all the upstart 21 year old "code prodigies" who pushed straight to master and didn't make/request backups of anything.

Its a bullshit new trend to minimize wages. Basically, your dev is also your system admin for a given project. You're fucking everything but get paid the same.
Enjoy even more work, liability, and chance to get called in in emergencies.

>Network Admin/Engineer
Hey that's what I am.
Isn't this sysadmin though?

>The best admin is the one you never see. If you see your admin running around, shit has well and truly hit the fan and splattered everywhere.
This, so fucking this. A few years ago when I was working in maintenance, the company's owner himself kept saying it would make him happy to pass by our office and see every single person in there, and advised us to always walk to situations, and never run, especially if there were clients visiting the factory.

Well shit, that sucks

It very much is, and unfortunetly you have 20 something retards out of school who want to prove themselves a programing rockstar and end up doing these jobs without appreciating that they'll but fucking burnt out by their 30s, but since their is always a fresh batch of dumb fresh out of collage kids, they're is always your replacement down the line when you can't take it anymore.
If you have self respect, don't fall for the devops meme

>burnt out by their 30s
How you avoid burn out?

by not making work your God. I know people who have avoided family outings, not gone to friend's weddings, ignored their own fucking birthday (like not even beers after work), all in the name of giving Shekelberg more hours of their life in exchange for money. All for the good of the company, always chasing that promotion or bonus, etc.

If you're about climbing the ladder as fast as you can and have no life, have a blast. Otherwise you have to remember that WORK is WORK, nothing more. Also don't become one of those faggots who are defined by their job. I know so many people who brag about where they work and how much they make, but have no hobbies or personality.

Don't work jobs that have a high chance of being called in, you'll always feel on edge on your time off knowing you could have to work at any second.
Don't work beyond 40 hour work weeks, if a job is non stop asking for overtime you need to hop ship because their structure is fucked. If you're needing to work over 40 hours a week due to finances that is a money problem that you need to fix (stop spending so much fucking cash, live cheaper). You need to have free time to be a balanced person.
Don't take on jobs that should be more then one person to preform said job, devops being a good example but there any unfortunately many ones out there
Try to engage with your coworkers, an environment where you can have a laugh every now and then but still get shit done is more enjoyable

Attached: 1564069017724.gif (500x500, 1.79M)

>Tfw don't actually care about my company
>still better than most programmers at company
>still help fellow employees because while I don't care about the company entity I don care about my comrads
>Still finish work on time cause I have work ethic

I absolutely hate the le sacrifice personal life for muh project, these people really aren't thinking with their misguided goodness that in the end does them no benefit, or at best gets them 20% more raise
Fuck company, the CEO is making fat stacks and paying employees with 20% cash and 80% praises, awards(read: papers) and smiles.

Attached: increment.jpg (621x600, 71K)

>by not making work your God.
It's not my God but it's a good social replacement. I get to talk to people there
>I know people who have avoided family outings,
We don't have those
>not gone to friend's weddings,
I don't have friends
>ignored their own fucking birthday (like not even beers after work),
Birthday is always miserable for me, could I celebrate my deathday instead?
>all in the name of giving Shekelberg more hours of their life in exchange for money.
I'm working because it helps me forget and appear normal and dependable responsible.
>All for the good of the company,
I don't care really anymore for the company, it's an unethical souless entity
>always chasing that promotion or bonus, etc.
I don't really care about bonus, because I don't have anything to do with more money, social aspects of work and learning stuff is better
>If you're about climbing the ladder as fast as you can and have no life, have a blast.
I have no life but I don't have a blast either.
After work hours are cruel and weekends savage, I'm a night walker
>Otherwise you have to remember that WORK is WORK, nothing more.
Yeah I do
>Also don't become one of those faggots who are defined by their job.
No,
>I know so many people who brag about where they work and how much they make, but have no hobbies or personality.
I have no hobbies or personality

Well fuck

Sysadmin here

Don't do webdev, fucking don't.

This job sucks, but cranking out garbage cookie cutter websites with the same "framework" a million fucking times is much worse.
Also javascript still exists.

>You don't want to take on too much responsibility unless the pay is fantastic because management will then lay people off and load their work on you.
This person is an actual sysadmin.
This is good advice.

SysAdmin full time, Web Developer as side hustle