/gtg/ - Jow Forumsternet general

What is Jow Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
Jow Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, totally disconnected from the clearnet.
It will be a combination of DIY meshnets on a city wide basis, and a platform for interconnecting these city wide meshnets over p2p openvpn bridges and high powered wireless dishes for City to City relays.
The Inter-Meshnet part of the project will allow any existing DIY meshnets to join our network by adding a bridge node or a city to city relay.
The short term goal is to have a few anons set up their own local meshnet and link them together using the bridges as a proof of concept.
A long term goal is gain a large enough user density that we can disable the brige nodes and have our own decentralized network idependent of the internet.
>tl;dr we're gonna connect city meshes through the internet until we have enough people to disconnect from the internet entirely

Talk about:
>Finding friends to link with
>Linking meshes over VPN
>Decentralization/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications
Please try to keep names/logos to a minimum.

Links:
>Map (for finding all your Jow Forumsternet pals and establishing nodes): DEAD, please help setting a new one up
>IRC (contains news, it's the best way to talk to the dev): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet (nonactive)
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today (not up to date, please contribute)
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.gternet.me
>Previous threads: qt.catbox.moe/4c6fb8
>Pastebin: qt.catbox.moe/638937

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this.

Attached: _g_meshnet.png (1265x807, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Logo
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Deploy_Meshnet_Node
hopglass.berlin.freifunk.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does it have a logo yet?

Not anymore, they used to but now the files are missing
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Logo

interesting

brb making one now

good luck running a trans Atlantic cable

Well, true. That shit is expensive so that we need to make it in communities and introduce it to other people so they can join. Maybe some people and/or organizations will donate money for this, but right now it's more experimental.

There is definitely funding available for projects like this, a transatlantic cable will be expensive and difficult but there are easily a couple thousand I know of and maybe even a couple dozen I know personally that would contribute to a project like this (contribute connections and capital, not $20 for a lord of the flies type of deal educational non-profits)

Nice, it just needs more recognition, more updates, and more people to join to be successful.

bump out of interest and support, I will spread the word on other tech forums

Bumping out of interest while i read into it, what can a hobby sysadmin do yo contribute?

I've got a fiber connection 1gb up/down no cap and a bunch of usff i7's with 16gb of ram sitting there idling on ubuntu server, give me some sort of package or something to install and you lads can use my bandwidth / that hardware. 2lazy2readeverything.

Well, you can join and create nodes, and introduce people to it. Just make sure you have some equipment that and/or the people that are interested, such as radio transmitters or cables. Then host a node.

mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Deploy_Meshnet_Node
Here is the guide. Make sure to let people join with your cables as well.
Also, we need a map since the old ones account for frozen, so if you are willing to host a site to display a map of where nodes are, that will be gratefully appreciated and help the project grow.

>What is the difference and advantage to something like dn42? What problem does this try to solve?
Answer please.

thanks user I have ((AT&T)) fiber, is there any port forwarding I need to do as well, ATT modem is pretty kiked down as far forwarding and such goes.

Actually don't know. It is decentralized so you probably do need to.

>>What is the difference and advantage to something like dn42? What problem does this try to solve?
>Answer please.
It is focused on anonymity, while dn42 is based on exploration of the technology

(Please note, while the project does not focus on anonymity, the protocols help the user become anonymous)

I'll make the logo

But we already have Freifunk. Why not just expanding the existing Freifunk network or build new ones where they not already are?

Is there any IRC channel of your project that isn't dead?

Freifunk is not fully decentralized, while Jow Forumsternet is.

How?

It is a meshnet, reliant on the centralized internet. Jow Forumsternet is just a replacement of the internet.

Just use baudot and a ham radio. Or sit a coupling model next to the mic and one on the other end.

Oh, ok. Are you planning to actually write custom software for automatic handling of your network or maybe leave it as it is (manual OpenVPN work)?

what kind of hardware would you even need for a meshnetwork? One with actual range. Could I use one of those huge ass dish antennas?

AFAIK any kind of connection between two PCs is enough to form a meshnet. You can even use WiFi routers for that purpose AFAIK.

Once I get a proper laptop I will contribute. Right now I can barely do anything with it.

Nice. I might take a look if it's worth to contribute after I finish my own project. Good luck.

yeah i mean i get the whole concept but what's the point of it if you can't connect to it without physical access?

if you dont build ontop a new tech and just plain copy what already is there you just building a bubble network with bridges to the internet
wow its nothing
no special usecase and no technical challange since it has the exactly same problems the internet needs to solve

oh wow there are acually mesh dishes. You guys think i could repurpose my old ass huge fucking tv dish for that ?

think about it as your own pirate radio station but instead of that it's a whole pirate network with your own rules

The idea is to temporarily use tunneling to simulate physical connections between machines, and when then mesh is big enough and has enough resources we start slowly building physical infrastructure replacing the temporary connections between the nodes.

Freifunk is also decentralized and can operate on its own. Only the exits and nodes that cannot be reached via WiFi are connected via VPN tunnels over the internet. But things like syncthing or bittorrent with DHT and LPD would work as always.
In Berlin they have a pretty big meshed network hopglass.berlin.freifunk.net/

>build vpn to bridge physical link
>replace vpn with parallel physical links

freifunk does that on the physical layer
tor does it on the wiith anonymity

Attached: Un+wat_47acc1_5504800.jpg (390x220, 16K)

freifunk seems way to official

>seems
it sure is still summer here
if you dont even know freifunk why are you even thinking about trying to setup anything else then your wifi password?

did I trigger your tism incel?

dont worry about it
i just for a moment thought you might be a person who knows what he is talking about and not an hyped undergraduate

Attached: c655eabfe6ea872b0b7814fd45b00569.jpg (235x369, 14K)

and how do you think you can build a meshed network with actual Hardware the "unofficial" way? Just placing antennas on random people roofs?

so thats all you have "planned"? Pathetic.

Checked, but I can't understand what you are trying to convey. I know this is the internet but please try to make your comments legible.

this + it's one huge honeypot. Op is just as retarded as that zeronet fag which is quite disappointing.

>comparing this to fucking zeronet

So, the IRC is dead, whats another way we could communicate?