/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ thread!
KVM consoles edition

Last thread ---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want. You can check out the following sheets and sort by price.
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

>Links & resources
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

Let's discuss homelabs and setups!

Attached: lab.jpg (3024x4032, 1.49M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3560G-24TS-S-Catalyst-3560G-Series-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch/183843179550?epid=0&hash=item2acde84c1e:g:iCMAAOSwNOFc~q9y:sc:UPSGround!60645!US!-1
ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-2x-MNPA19-XTR-10G-SFP-Optical-Network-Card-1x-SFP-10G-gigabit-cable-3M/302754779598?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-Power-Supply-PWS-920P-SQ-1U-920W-Redundant-Power-Supply-used/273960074484?epid=783418910&hash=item3fc94afcf4:i:273960074484
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i350-t4&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are there sufficiently high pressure Noctua fans for me to make a 2u case quiet? I've got a Supermicro 825TQ-R700LPB and it'd be really cool to have around but it's too loud for me to live near.

Attached: 51+vnuq8K2L.jpg (500x500, 44K)

Hi all looking for some beginner advice

I'm interested in getting started with a home media/ data hoarding server since my new desktop is already getting filled up. Would you guys recommend just buying a NAS enclosure or should I build my own?

I'm leaning towards building my own/ repurposing my old Laptop since I'm keen to learn more about servers and networking (already have some pc building and linux experience) - Any recommendations on how to get started if that's a viable option?

I'm a beginner to home servers too so maybe I can help you out a bit. I might be mistaken on some of what I'm saying though.

For home media/data storage, it depends on how much you wanna store and also what you wanna stream to.

If you got a Synology or QNAP NAS and set it up for plex/emby/jellyfin, that's definitely one option and it's apparently easy to do, but the specs on the older, cheaper, ones aren't the best for streaming video to higher resolution screens, since they're not cut out for transcoding video well (Like adding subtitles, changing the resolution, or converting the video format).

Personally I've gotten an Odroid HC2 and I'm playing around with it as a NAS/Plex center, and it works fine for direct play to 1080p monitors around my house, and I've played around with it once for remote streaming, but it only holds 1 drive and scales like garbage. I also fear for if it has to transcode anything to stream to a higher resolution screen.

If you build your own server out of an old computer, that's easy to do and probably familiar to you. Then it's just a matter of setting up the right OS for your purposes and putting on whatever you wanna host on it. If you get a specialized rack, I have no clue how to set those up though.

test

In order to push the amount of air required for enterprise hardware designed for the datacenter with a cold to hot isle design is going to be loud. Adding your commodity fan will not help. Stop being a retard and put your enterprise hardware in another room.

Hi All,
I am also a beginner, looking for some advice. I've looked into the used enterprise gear, the QNAP/Synonlogy boxes, HP microserver, and SBC - Odroid HC2/XU4. I'm still not fully satisfied with which one I should go with, and wanting to do more research.
I've come across HDD cages and backplanes. Any idea if those can be used in /hsg/. Main purpose is NAS to store media files and stream them. Transcoading not required, there's no TV in my home to stream it to, will just be accessing by laptops.
Also another dumb question, if I get HDD with backplane having multiple SATA output ports, will I be able to fix them in the motherboard in fewer slots? I understand that should cut down the bandwidth and I will not get full output speed of NAS, but just wanted to check is that even viable option.

Thanks for reading my blog, have a nice day. QT for your trouble.

Attached: 1552727076396.jpg (432x768, 56K)

did you really tape on a photo of your desktop for work kek
you aint fooling anyone

I'm afraid to plug any servers into the internet let alone access them outside lan.

Harden them appropriately using Lynis to audit them, them port forward only what is necessary. Or skip the port forwarding and use OpenVPN to get into your LAN.

>finally got rutorrent working properly
>finally got plex playing nice with other things
>everything just works
I have reached enlightenment

Is it a good idea to just go to guitar center and buy one of these rackmount fight cases for my server(s)?

Attached: chrome_2019-08-26_15-53-18.png (1237x524, 425K)

You're not going to get ventilation out of that. Most music equipment have a fraction of the power draw as server equipment.

they are not full depth. Verify server fitment.
Also I'm not sure why you would run one of these if not for autism, they are designed to be run with both covers off, so you wont get any benefit for noise reduction.

I aske last thread but no one answer.

I need a good hba card to support four drives and work perfectly with zfs/freenas.
alternatively I could use the shitty dell perc5 in my server bud I dont know if it passes smart data and whatnot for zfs.

whats a good place to get a cabinet(ideally with wheels) on the west coast.

Honestly noise isn't that much of an issue but ventilation might be

Craigslist for my area is empty as fuck and its full of old people trying to sell ball-mouses

Attached: 404.jpg (250x250, 39K)

home depot, lumber section.

or amazon, or sf bay area craigslist

where's the mouse

You can get the SuperQuiet fans for them and they'll generally do a decent job of cooling as long as you dont have a onboard intel x540. The part number is 9S0812P4F051. DESU the PSU fans will make more noise than the chassis fans, although supermicro makes SuperQuiet versions of them too. i have the 920 watt models and they're very quiet.

youre a retard, please remember that when you go to sleep tonight

theyre all crap

they're generally too short, supermicro makes short depth cases but they're pointless for the most part

lsi9207-8i

ebay with local pickup

there is a trackpad you retard.

>home depot
oh damn, i had a trip due for this Thursday too
Didn't know they sold rackmount shit
thanks

Attached: 1548092867489.webm (1122x800, 2.97M)

Is that setup in a basement? Poor fucker is screwed if it ever floods.

r710

ez and done

>lsi9207-8i
oh brilliant, I found the official recommendations guide I should have looked for by googling that info.
Only concern is it may be a bit long to fit in place of the perc 5/i which goes on some weird riser extension thing in the 1950iii chassis. I'd rather not take up the expansion port in case I want to stuff a gpu in there for compute.

a lot of dell cards are lsi rebrands that you can flash lsi firmware on to

Sweet. I am currently re-doing all of the drywall in my house, and I am running conduit to at least 2 spots in each room and wall mounts. I picked up ( everything pictured ) $150, total. Not real happy with the patch panel ( I have 2 of them, still new in the box ) because they aren't rack mountable, but, whatever. I can make them work. I am lucky enough that I have a closet that is almost dead center in the house and it's an odd shape, so that's gonna be my " media area ". Already cut some vents and area for fans. Thanks for the info!

Attached: yLmGOrbvQSyJogxoamb8Og.jpg (1204x903, 111K)

>rackmount netgear

Please stop.

It was $20. Idc.

>trusting a $20 (but actually $100) switch

Again, it is just to get crap going in my house and it was cheap. I still don't care :) Go ahead, talk crap about the other gear too hahaha.

>being this sensitive

I'm sorry, kiddo.

you could have gotten a cisco for that much you tard
ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3560G-24TS-S-Catalyst-3560G-Series-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch/183843179550?epid=0&hash=item2acde84c1e:g:iCMAAOSwNOFc~q9y:sc:UPSGround!60645!US!-1

>ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3560G-24TS-S-Catalyst-3560G-Series-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch/183843179550?epid=0&hash=item2acde84c1e:g:iCMAAOSwNOFc~q9y:sc:UPSGround!60645!US!-1

And another $25 for shipping.

>being this poor

Well, what about the other equipment? Was that a rip off too? I obviously don't know what is any good or not.

Yeah, cause not all of us can live being a NEET in mom and dads basement.

>if I get HDD with backplane having multiple SATA output ports, will I be able to fix them in the motherboard in fewer slots
Eh? You can get enormous numbers of ports from PCI SATA or SAS controller cards + optional FIS based port multipliers.

I don't think there is any chance you'll start with so many drives that this will be an issue even on cheaper consumer hardware.

And so far it sounds like you might not even need anything more than a Rock64Pro with two 8-10TB drives.

> r710
Not a good idea for a 24/7 server - they're available in huge numbers for this cheap because the inefficient power guzzlers simply cost too much to operate.

>stucko walls
>not being in a boomers basement

active directory at home, is it worth it?

yes

>his electricity costs more than $0.06/

Well yes, that's rather common. Your price is half the US average, I think. And thus a lot below the average elsewhere.

You also should observe that these machines and their business weren't gobbled up by server farms in your place - there is probably a decent reason for that, too.

And even at that price, the 90W idle or whatever these power guzzlers consume still add up to like $50 even without any amplification by AC, so arguably it may just not be the greatest idea regardless.

where can a nigga find a couple 10 Gigabit PCIe cards for cheap

is gigabit ethernet teaming worth it for a high-IO multiple-client server

Is anyone using jellyfin on Roku? This is the one piece holding me back

Yes
Apart from getting super lucky at company clearance sales or some shit, I think there's nothing cheap out there yet

ebay for one, though depends on what you consider "cheap". If you want $5 cheap then probably nowhere, if you want $30 cheap from China you can find some for sure.

i keep buying poweredges, racking them and not using them. help

what are some safe bets for some 10G Chinese NICs then

Mellanox Connect-X 2's seem to be somewhat popular. I have 2 myself and can't really complain, though the one in my server is a bit slow for a reason I've yet to diagnose (about 8.5Gbps in iperf). I don't think the card itself is to blame.

where did you get yours? got an aliexpress link or something so i dont get chinked?

appreciate the help

The exact listing I got was this one IIRC. If you look around you should find them cheaper too.
ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-2x-MNPA19-XTR-10G-SFP-Optical-Network-Card-1x-SFP-10G-gigabit-cable-3M/302754779598?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It's not very easy to get chinked on ebay, in my experience at least if you don't receive the product or receive something broken ebay will almost always side with you in a dispute.

Yeah the power supplies that came with this server are super loud. Sucks that most of the Supermicro power supplies I'm seeing are getting up to and above 200 dollars. For that much I might just build an enclosed rack and soundproof it as best I can.

Not sure what PSUs a SC825 takes but if you had the far more common SC826, the SuperQuiet PSUs are cheap

ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-Power-Supply-PWS-920P-SQ-1U-920W-Redundant-Power-Supply-used/273960074484?epid=783418910&hash=item3fc94afcf4:i:273960074484

pci-x works in pci 2.0 right..

Attached: Sieppaa.png (815x462, 324K)

why would you do such a retarded thing?
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i350-t4&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

my pci-e slots are full

>pci-x works in pci 2.0 right..
>my pci-e slots are full
then why the fuck are you asking if pci-x works in pci-e

because i'm bit of a retard
also that one doesn't seem to work after all

Attached: Sieppaa.png (776x530, 40K)