Why didn't Linux become a mainstream alternative to Windows and Mac on the Desktop? Will it ever happen?

Why didn't Linux become a mainstream alternative to Windows and Mac on the Desktop? Will it ever happen?

Attached: linux-mac-windows.jpg (983x368, 53K)

Because Linux is a kernel, you need a full operating system to make a valid comparison.

who it isn't?

>will it happen?
No

shut the fuck up

Based

i think the only two reasons are
1. no marketing because no money behind it
2. many distros make it confusing for normies
other than that, from a technical standpoint, we all know it's the best os.

Happened like 2002 at my house.
I don't know what's taking the rest of you retards to catch on.

Linux is for people who have no hobbies or friends so they have the time for messing around with your operating system and fixing its bugs constantly.

because free software

>1. no marketing because no money behind it
why didn't some company build desktops/laptops preinstalled with some distro? isn't there a huge market for that?
yes because there's little support for it and few programs. I'm asking WHY that is

stop projecting prandeep

As it turns out, having an illegal monopoly on OSes is extremely profitable for a certain company, and hurts all other companies. Who could have thought?

>why didn't some company build desktops/laptops preinstalled with some distro? isn't there a huge market for that?
Chromebooks

Because open source is really bad at coming up with coherent UIs that normal people can use. Mainly because everyone wants to do the cool backend stuff and no-one wants to spend the time doing the boring repetitive frontend stuff. So its crap and ordinary users don't use it.

didn't Dell sell some laptops with Ubuntu for some time?
Chrome OS is a retard version of Linux, no real replacement for Windows/Mac
>open source
nobody stops a company from taking Linux and releasing their own version, or am I wrong here?

because they don't like installing operating systems, and linux distros are rarely default
you don't see people change chromebooks to windows do you
it's nothing to do with quality it's just whatever comes preinstalled

>Will it ever happen?
No.

Attached: 1553818437479.jpg (4000x5000, 3.76M)

Linux isn't user friendly. It's a niche hobby for nerds, not for typical consumer users or businesses. When people want to get stuff done without having to debug their own computer, they use Windows or Mac

Every company that makes an android phone releases their own version. Dell is still selling their Ubuntu laptops, lookup the XPS developer edition.

>didn't Dell sell some laptops with Ubuntu for some time?
Ubuntu_Causes_Girl_To_Drop_Out_of_College.webm

Yup, and the only good products based on open source that have a halfway decent UIs are backed by a for-profit company (osx, chrome). The free software community can't be asked to code UIs properly.

If you want a UI that is tailored to your liking then pay someone for it. You are not entitled to free labor from the free software community. I find the Windows and MacOS UIs to be horrible, and unlike in Linux/GNU/BSD territory, I am not allowed to patch them to fix the issues.

>The free software community can't be asked to code UIs properly.
laughs in KDE

>thinks KDE is actually good
You're funny.

Not with that useless DE called Gnome

True. But then if that's the mentality the free software community shouldn't also complain why normal users don't use Linux in desktop when they don't want to do the work to make it usable.

Microsoft couldn't have fucked the dog any harder than with 10. If it doesn't happen now it's never going to happen ever.

>tfw last gf fucked her dog
>tfw my best friend fucks his dog

1. Windows cornered the mainstream by getting public schools to do their marketing, effectively forcing businesses to use it if they didn't want to teach new hires how to computer
2. Apple cornered the hobbyist market back when they were actually better than windows, then used those funds plus all the money they saved from no longer giving a shit about quality to market aggressively to retards who don't know better and businesses with more money than sense
3. Linux is not marketed at all and if the only options were Wintel/Mac products that delivered an electric shock to the user every 30 seconds and GNU/Linux distros that made the device stop shocking you then people STILL wouldn't use GNU/Linux because they treat computers like voodoo wizardboxes and would rather receive physical pain than learn a scary new operating system, let alone one they haven't heard of every second of their life.

better a dog then a nigger

ChromeOS. The problem is it's on utter shit hardware and doesn't allow installing new OSs like UEFI/x86-BIOS does. Also, the current gen of normies didn't yet fully switch to muh cloud meme and still uses regular desktop apps. Wait a few decades for boomers to die so that a generation shift happens and you'll have Linux dominating desktop space unless FuschiaOS is actually good.
Also, Microsoft is still buying their way into the education systems.

just marketing, a proper company and marketing doing it and it would be

the recent rise in MacOS is due to persistent marketing windows was just 'first' to market. Its not really complicated