Where were you when India revolutionised batteries?

Where were you when India revolutionised batteries?

>A research team from India's IIT (Institute of Technology) Madras has officially developed the world's first iron-ion battery, which promises a low-cost stable alternative to the existing mainstream lithium-ion battery.
energytrend.com/news/20190826-15033.html

Attached: Battery-624x468.jpg (624x468, 27K)

Ib4
>gets patent locked and we never heard of it again for 30 years, when china starts producing cheap knockoffs

>the research team’s findings have showed that it is only capable of 150 cycles of charging and discharging for the time being. At the present stage, the energy density of the battery is also only able to reach around 220 Wh/kilo, which is only around 55-60% of the 350 Wh/kilo of energy density for lithium-ion battery.

Attached: 1546001906239.gif (600x800, 241K)

They don't give any numbers and I don't feel like researching it. Iron is over 135 times cheaper than lithium by weight. Obviously, lithium is somewhat rare while iron is fairly abundant. Iron batteries would be heavier. It sounds like it's just a matter of R&D until they can compete, but that's always the game. We use lithium ion batteries because that's what someone found to work and that's what we know. For iron batteries to take over they need to put serious money into making them worth buying. Personally I'd rather have some cheap & heavy iron batteries than expensive lithium batteries. I imagine that companies like apple will stick with lithium to keep their products light and expensive.

we'll probably see china find some way to sell iron batteries and call them lithium

>At the present stage, the energy density of the battery is also only able to reach around 220 Wh/kilo, which is only around 55-60% of the 350 Wh/kilo of energy density for lithium-ion battery.
Looks like Tesla isn't bankrupt and finished just yet.

Just license the patent you incel

>150 cycles of charging and discharging for the time being
>only able to reach around 220 Wh/kilo, which is only around 55-60% of the 350 Wh/kilo of energy density for lithium-ion battery
into the loo it goes

that's not too awful, especially if the price is reduced more than that

So it's cheaper and less efficient. Awesome, more waste. Thanks India!

And nobody will recycle those either.

>IIT (Institute of Technology
Why the fuck do """reporters""" do this? If you're gonna acronym, acronym. If you're not, don't. All you've done is added more text than necessary.

they meant POO Institute of technology

How much cheaper is vanadium though, isn't it pretty rare?

It's iron, it recycles itself.

They can do this yet they can't code worth shit or put out some public toilets so people don't shit in the street.

Sounds like an excellent replacement to zinc-carbon batteries. Different batteries have different applications you fucking sperglords.

i didn't see that they are using vanadium. that shit costs 1.25 million per ton. It's out of my depth to know how much they need in proportion to the iron but i doubt it can be cost effective when you consider that. Cobalt is $33k per ton, Manganese is $2k per ton. Nickel is 13.5k per ton. If it's got to be iron-vanadium, then I think they are fucked.

>150 crycles
shit
>60% energy density of LIon
excellent! that's probably better than SLA, probably comparable to nicad.

There's literally a "new revolutionary battery technology" every couple years, yet we still seem to be using li-ion for just about everything.

Learn english you cretin

It is awful.
There's no way you could market such a battery in the current landscape because it has no advantage.