Are books irrelevant because of the internet?

I thought about posting this on /lit/ but this topic is better suited for the IT guys at Jow Forums.

Are books and libraries irrelevant because of digital storage? Why do we still keep public libraries around?

Take the survey strawpoll.com/y2fhweah

Attached: ls.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newstatesman.com/culture/books/2018/09/palaces-people-how-shared-spaces-improve-lives
huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6762674
huffpost.com/entry/print-ebooks-studies_n_6762674
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No while I love my ereader having a physical book is way better than something digital.

The things they keep in the public Library can hardly be called books. It's basically one big categorized WikiHow, complete with bizarre traced images.

If you want to see real books then you're going to have to try a private or academic library. The vast majority of these remain undigitized and each contain more well-researched information than the entirety of Wikipedia.

burn 'em to the ground

Attached: 110917_LGRV-4703.jpg (384x256, 41K)

>THERE'S NO INTERNET TO FIGURE OUT WHY THERE'S NO INTERNET

don't forget the 80% trash mass-produced cookie-cutter novels. if your public library isn't full of that shit then it's at least slightly more useful than many.
The best public libraries I've found are usually old ones that have books regarding local history. Other than that, they are mostly full of junk

If I start to read an e-book and get into it I buy a physical copy. Between my wife and I we have about 2500 books, some very rare and expensive.

We also have over 5000 CDs, over 500 LPs, roughly 350 DVDs and about 1500 Laserdiscs. Piracy is for poor people.

>The vast majority of these remain undigitized and each contain more well-researched information than the entirety of Wikipedia.
That's interesting. There is a whole ecology of books in these collections waiting to be studied.

If libraries are to be relevant in the digital age then they need to refine their search engines. Add a quote finder as a start, we have the technology to read typed words from pictures.

Google's already been doing that for over a decade. The problem is putting things randomly in a database doesn't do anyhting because nobody knows what's there. The traditional schemas and network of shared knowledge and reference that researchers and academics had for pulling up the knowledge of the past has, at this point, almost entirely been lost to time unless they happened to have been mentioned in the footnote of someone famous like Nietzsche or Newton.

irrelevant and outdated.
Encyclopedias were written by a single arrogant boomer that was in charge of the whole thing and sources were gathered from local university professors who are also incorrect arrogant assholes and everyone involved is so high on their own shit fumes they don't care if something is written wrong or incomplete as long as they can keep jacking off to their title as "britanica chief editor" or whatever trinket title they were handed.
You want an idea of how full of shit these companies are, look at the fake ass words they added to the dictionary in the name of social justice.
There is not a thing you can do with a written book that you couldnt do better and more accurately with the internet.

have sex

cant cause the encyclopedia didnt tell me how XD

because Animal Farm and newstatesman.com/culture/books/2018/09/palaces-people-how-shared-spaces-improve-lives

t. boomer

I don't understand the appeal for digital, it hurts my eyes so much. With a real book, I can read for hours and my eyes will be just fine.
I guess using one of those amazon ereaders partly solves that problem tho.

I am a poor person, user. Thank you for your moral support.

>Why do we still keep public libraries around?
you might want to look up the calendar of events at your local library to understand their function
also be sure to check out the electronic benefits they can provide

Eink is something you should look into then.

Now this is peak boomer posting

Yes.
All should be digitized.

huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6762674

huffpost.com/entry/print-ebooks-studies_n_6762674
Sorry, this is the right link. All studies indicate that you don't learn shit when reading stuff on the screen. Print will never die.

Some books are deliberately undigitized to keep their information scarce and their price high.
Others are undigitized because they're old or physically hard to find.

The future is going to be deepfaked to high heaven, so having physical proof of history is going to become more and more important. A digital book can be altered without leaving much of a trace, except for scattered copies in local storage, and with DRM it may even be possible for those copies to be redacted by a central source. Though I think it's more likely that "books as a service" will replace downloadable ebooks, and soon piracy will be the only way to have a locally stored digital book.

Those are all idiotic reasons.
Actually, it's going a bit far to call them reasons. That would imply they have a logical explanation. They're emotional preferences or whims.

Huffington post is a tabloid and they provide no sources. They just pulled these "reasons" out of their ass.

That sounds like a hoarding problem desu

one big catastrophe and a world without books is so fucked lol
all these programmers sitting around trying to figure out how to reinvent basic niceties this shit would turn into mad max in less than a year.
No new production, a few tinkerers trying to keep the old shit running, society way too violent to keep from imploding in on itself fighting over what's left.
it would be hard enough to recover WITH libraries. Without them impossible.

and that's not even getting into the cultural problems. One day someone decides that all your literature wasn't PC enough so "poof" there it all goes in one nasty sweep of the internet.

*erases all your books*
psssh nothing personnel kid

Attached: 1566890902909.jpg (1300x731, 218K)

Steve's job is chasing birds and stealing wood

then we're all fucked anyways
where's the scenario for all the books getting vaporized but the electricity coming back on

The internet is filled with trash and misinformation. Books at least have a modicum of credibility.

>where's the scenario for all the books getting vaporized but the electricity coming back on

If all books get vaporized by some solar event, then it's unlikely than anyone would've survive.

>modicum
something tells me you might be on the lactose intolerant spectrum.

something tells me you're a faggot

soi cope

>Are books and libraries irrelevant because of digital storage?
Books are in no way influenced by digital storage they simply have to exist if you want to transmit knowledge.

The claim that "most knowledge is available on the internet" is true. But not because the internet has "superseded" books, but because you can find most books on there.

That said, there have been multiple instances where there was some information that I could only find in the library (University library that is), once you get into specialized knowledge it can get quite hard to find anything relevant to the subject or even concerning specific questions.
Also I find it much easier to read physical books then digital ones.

Not sure about libraries, but I love book stores. And the reading experience of an actual paper book is way better than anything in digital form.
Yes, I actually buy books. Offline, in stores. Shit is so cash (it really is because I live in Germeny where we pay actually still that way).

Fuck those other fags, that sounds awesome. Do you do tours?

The fuck happened to my spelling and grammar in the second line. I'm not that illiterate. Pls halp!

you have a sóy dick

Nah, internet's good but it's mostly shallow facts, not knowledge.

Real in depth stuff you tend to only find in textbooks and they're not necessarily online.

Ever heard of The Library of Babel? That's where the internet is heading. Hope you trust google.

>Nah, internet's good but it's mostly shallow facts, not knowledge.
>Real in depth stuff you tend to only find in textbooks and they're not necessarily online.
That is literally what I said.

Nice blog

DIGITAL TEXT HAS ARRIVED
FUCK YOUR PAPERBACKS

The entire world let google scan every book in existence (copyright my ass) so fuck books and fuck google

how does your wife's son feel about it?

stupid boomer

For me the better question has been recently: have podcasts/online debates made books obsolete?
Books are made mostly by one person. Thus you can get a very deep understanding of that persons view, but it is very one sided and biased. But when you listen to debates, you get arguments from different sides and are more likely to get closer to the truth on the matter.

The internet only goes as far as the most trivial and superficial shit. You will not find a good read on advanced subjects 90% of the time on the internet, you'd have to get a book.

anything people argue about on podcasts has nothing to do with the truth

You heard it here first Jow Forumsuys, don't read books they are old tech

>Are books irrelevant because of the internet?
no
>Why do we still keep public libraries around?
some libraries are really good, some should be shut down. depends on where you live.

Lol larping hoarder, I’m not a reader but the few books I’ve read and was into made me see these people are probably all full of shit. Why do you keep a book after you’ve read it?? If you read it you no longer need to keep it unless it’s a reference book of some kind or other. You’re a hoarder, having all this physical shit that would literally not lose any quality if it were backed up into hard drives does not make you cool it just makes you a hoarder.