"full documentation for this package is available as a GNU info page"

>"full documentation for this package is available as a GNU info page"

Attached: 1023.jpg (300x218, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/documentationchapter.html
mandoc.bsd.lv/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is the gold standard for writing software documentation still DocBook?
catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/documentationchapter.html

nobody uses GNU info besides GNU

i've used linux for 15 years and never touched gnu info

Nowadays I think you're more likely to see a lightweight markup language like Markdown or AsciiDoc (which is based on DocBook) for simple stuff. And otherwise I think DITA is seen as superior to DocBook nowadays.

>download cli-only program
>no man page
WHY

>thing: unrecognized option '--help'
>thing: unrecognized option '-h'
>No manual entry for thing
oh, it's one of those things which only prints its help when you run it with no arguments
don't teach people to just run your program without reading its options first!

it's fine when the program requires at least one argument
the problem is when it doesn't need an argument you gotta type random options that don't available to trigger the usage of the program
command -wiqegisadgisadeohreowrhoewr

Why would any program not support at least `--help`, if not also `--version`? These two should be the basic flags, no matter which other arguments (`-h`, `help`, `--list-flags`, help when without arguments, …) it also supports. Also pretty much guaranteed not to clash with other options in their long form.

and that's a good thing. gnu info pages are fucking awesome. Probably because the documentation for info pages are usually way richer, with explanation and examples. you can also use tldr to get a quick overview.

>write something that converts info to man
>ship same documentation in manpage format
why do distros not do this?

unix philosophy doesn't have --long-option
--long-option is GNU thingy

What's tldr?

Yes, and? Long options are well-established nowadays and it wouldn't even be that horrible to special case argv[1]=="--help" even if your flag parser can't handle that normally.

unix autists would still refuse to add that shit
just look at BSD's ls

Too bad, their time and incomplete/flawed common practices are obsolete in today's world. Refusing a change for the better is silly.

I started using info once I made the switch to emacs. It's very natural at that point. Some good stuff in there, too.

>using Esc Meta Alt Shift Control
do you look like pic related? :^)

Attached: droctopus.png (2000x2311, 1.61M)

usually using man "command that only has info" opens info directly, and info "command that only has man page" opens man directly
A neat package that resumes man/info stuff in a few lines with examples and stuff

just write man with the mdoc(7) model

Gnu are a special kind of cunt sometimes

What kind of pager is that info thing using anyway

Lucky you

TLDR: tl;dr but a command

I wish more stuff used info. manpages are usually supposed to be small and brief stuff, info is full of details, even history and shit. Reading info pages is always fun. I learned a bit abouy roff through groff's info pages. Also, navigation in info is nice. It's even better if you use emacs.

>do I look like a guy in a latex gimp suit

>emasc

based

Mandoc is a drop-in replacement for groff, and supports in-terminal hyperlinks even in the manpages you use every day. mandoc.bsd.lv/

navigation is hot garbage in info

it's even worse than HTML