What's the best way to stay anonymous and safe when torrenting?

What's the best way to stay anonymous and safe when torrenting?

Attached: BitTorrent.png (256x256, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.torproject.org/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
github.com/Tribler/tribler/releases
yro.slashdot.org/story/18/08/29/1434201/us-court-of-appeals-an-ip-address-isnt-enough-to-identify-a-pirate
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/bittorrent-users-beware-flaw-lets-hackers-control-your-computer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

only use other people's computers

Tor or vpns, also doing it on a virtual machine with linux

stop living in an authoritarian shithole

Attached: 1538858643100.jpg (1050x858, 150K)

Tor is a bad idea and VPNs don't work. most torrenting apps basically attach your information directly to the packets being sent so even with a proxy you still give out your IP

don't torrent

what loli collection you want to download i can do it for you

I2P. Don't torrent on TOR and VPNs are snake oil.

Use private or foreign trackers

>VPNs don't work!
>That's why people pay for VPNs that specifically advertise torrenting!

>Tor is a bad idea
>VPNs don't work
Explain???

yeah, because they're stupid
>homeopathy doesn't work
>that's why people pay for homeopathy that specifically advertises curing illnesses!!!

blog.torproject.org/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea

This explains it pretty well. It's a post that was linked by the Tor devs on their Q&A

>using tor for torrents
how new are you user

Attached: 1557962777611.jpg (307x499, 19K)

i2p

Join some private tracker circlejerks, disable DHT/PeX and force encryption in your torrent client settings. Otherwise get a Usenet plan, join private indexers and use it instead of torrenting when you can.

>That's why people pay for VPNs that specifically advertise torrenting!
People often pay for dumb shit. Specially if the marketing is based on fear. Before researching whether it makes sense or not, some scared zoomer or boomer will rather spend bucks on VPN and feel safe.

#1 by far

#2 if #1 isn't an option

Also generally try not to download the most popular shit that just came out.

That post is fucking 10 years old.
It's fine to use Tor so long as you don't give a shit about using Tor's bandwidth.
Any decent client supports sock5 proxies like Tor with no issues.
Stop spreading FUD.
Literally the only reason this keeps getting spread is they want to conserve bandwidth.
Fuck them.

Tor is compromised anyway.
They enabled javascript by default.

Attached: file.png (882x162, 16K)

Live in a country that doesn’t give a fuck about it.

>private tracker
>VPN
>burner laptop running a live Linux distro from a flash drive
>cron job to overwrite data if a deadman switch isn't refreshed every x hours
>connected to your insecure guest wifi
>transfer files via sneakernet

Vpn

Buy movies

> What's the best way to stay anonymous and safe when torrenting?

Tribler 7.3.0 is just out today, it has anonymous downloading if you are concerned about DMCA reports. Don't expect "bullet-proof" anonymity but it is good enough for casual public torrent downloading.

github.com/Tribler/tribler/releases

You don't need to use Tor network for torrenting. Tribler implements its own tor-like network with udp packet switching for anonymous downloading so it is better suited for p2p. You don't become an exit node by default so old criticisms about it are not accurate.

1. private tracker whenever possible
2. ip blocklist in your torrent client or on your router

if you're taking both approaches then anything else is overkill in most situations. torrenting through tor is guaranteed to be slow as fuck and it's totally unnecessary unless you're downloading shit that would probably get you thrown in jail anyway. torrenting through a vpn is unnecessary with the exception of scenarios like that as well.

>2. ip blocklist in your torrent client or on your router
fuck off retard

it helps. do you think qbt and transmission give you the option to use one for no reason? do you think the openwrt devs include features to manage ip blocklists because it doesn't help filter out unwanted traffic? you're the retard, and you've clearly never managed a seedbox or a public-facing server.

What are you trying to prevent exactly?
I can sill see your IP announced on the tracker, retard.
It does absolutely nothing but block legitimate peers.
You don't even understand how bittorrent works.

Blocklists are placebo. Anyone recommending or using them is retarded.

Don't try to inject other irrelevant shit about running a server into this either. You're full retard.

>I can sill see your IP announced on the tracker, retard.
but you can't connect to me if you're on my blocklist, faggot.

>It does absolutely nothing but block legitimate peers.
only if you're using shitty blocklists without inspecting them beforehand, moron. many people maintain their own lists as well.

>hurr durr he blocks bad peers and ip ranges he doesn't like so he must not know how bittorrent works
yeah, no.

don't try to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about, or that everyone has the same use case for blocking IPs.

>but you can't connect to me if you're on my blocklist, faggot.
Nobody needs to connect to you, you absolute moron.
I can look at the tracker and see that you've pirated some shit, and smack your retarded ass with a DMCA.

Let's say for some weird reason they do need to connect to you, they have the exact same list.
Why the fuck do they care if their ORG's internet is blocked?
They can spin up an instance of IP_GRABBER_9001 on any random VPS to fuck you over.
It doesn't matter.

>only if you're using shitty blocklists without inspecting them beforehand, moron. many people maintain their own lists as well.
They don't do shit.
They are never ever going to have all of them.
There is literally no point in blocking peers.
They DO NOT have to use their own IPs to gather information.

>locks bad peers and ip ranges he doesn't like so he must not know how bittorrent works
acting like this does anything at all means you fundamentally do not understand what is going on

>don't try to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about
see
>don't try to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about

>or that everyone has the same use case for blocking IPs.
Blocking them for other purposes is completely irrelevant to blocking bittorrent peers.

Glowing.

Prove him wrong.

I2P

You dumb cunt. There are valid reasons to block peers that have absolutely nothing to do with avoiding letters from your ISP. Even if this was the *only* reason to block peers in your torrent client, see here: yro.slashdot.org/story/18/08/29/1434201/us-court-of-appeals-an-ip-address-isnt-enough-to-identify-a-pirate So your argument that they do absolutely nothing or at best negatively affect the efficient retrieval and seeding of data, is plain wrong. They can help in that use case, even if only a bit.

This (avoiding threatening letters) being your only concern though, demonstrates that you have no clue what's going on. I often run a public-facing server from home, and though it has nothing to do with bittorrent, I add IPs that attempt to bruteforce into my server and/or my router to the blocked peers list in my torrent client as well. If I don't want them accessing my web server or router, then why would I want them being able to communicate with me via bittorrent either?

Let's say I'm spending a few days at a buddy's house, and I want to leave some torrents up seeding on my laptop. I don't have my router with iptables set up over there. Might as well block bad actors from accessing my machine there, or wherever else it might be sitting, even if it's just through my torrent client.

Oh, that's stupid? See this: arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/bittorrent-users-beware-flaw-lets-hackers-control-your-computer/

Why should one not take precautions that provide them with greater security, however low the risk may be? Why should I not block peers which I don't want connecting at home, at other locations as well? What reason would there be to *not* block the sketchy bogons and malicious IPs I do at home, when I'm away from home? Since you clearly need things spelled out, these are rhetorical questions.

You're obviously a glownigger, attempting to discourage people from taking preventative measures to increase their security.

there was a project called tribler that aimed to be a tor-like bittorrent client but it wasn't using the tor network, I don't remember whether it's compatible with public torrents or not but it's worth trying, I haven't used it more than once and it was years ago so you're on your own, good luck.

I asked
>What are you trying to prevent exactly?
and you didn't fucking reply idiot
I can only assume that you're using them for the same reason any other faggot is.

>I often run a public-facing server from home
I already mentioned this multiple times, it doesn't fucking matter. Anything else is irrelevant.
>I add IPs that attempt to bruteforce into my server and/or my router to the blocked peers list in my torrent client as well.
wow congrats you added some proxies to the list now anyone using the proxy can't connect to you
you're so much safer, wow

> then why would I want them being able to communicate with me via bittorrent either?
They are probably proxies or VPNs, my dear user.
If not they're part of someone's botnet.
You're going to get hacked by allowing someone to download the linux iso you're seednig?

>Oh, that's stupid? See this:
I'm familiar with that exploit, actually.
I knew about it when it was released, and it has nothing to do with peers connecting to you.
You have to visit a malicious site.
And you have to not set a password.
Did you just google "torrent exploit" and post an article you didn't read? What the fuck lol.
And why does that matter at all? If there is a torrent client 0day that lets you get remotely exploited, you're fucked anyway.
Same with any software you use.

>Why should one not take precautions that provide them with greater security
placebo

> Why should I not block peers which I don't want connecting at home, at other locations as well?
You're free to do whatever you want, no matter how stupid or pointless.

>What reason would there be to *not* block the sketchy bogons and malicious IPs I do at home, when I'm away from home? Since you clearly need things spelled out, these are rhetorical questions.
there isn't any reason to block peers at all
your torrent client (if you're using a webUI) should already ban peers trying to hack your shit
this is literally a non-issue
you're blocking peers for no reason

Seethe harder.
Cope harder.
Dilate more.

>*downloads placebo anti-DMCA list*
>B-BUT THE HACKERS
kys stupid kid

>all caps
>i'm using some bullshit anti-dcma list
>everything is placebo because you say it is
>you've refuted anything i said here:
alright bucko. clearly it's time for your nap.

>MUH HACKERS
>MUH BLOCKED PROXIES
>I RUN A HOME SERVER I KNOW EVERYTHING
>LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE I DIDN'T READ
lol pathteic

>look at me typing in all caps
>i really need attention dad
>seething this hard
you're a fuk'n joke with no reason to live

I'm quoting you, pathetic loser.
Why did you post an article you didn't read?

>fjfjgfhdf
>fffjfjkfujf
>fjfjkdfjfjfjd
That's me quoting you, braindead faggot.
Why do you keep typing when you're all fucked up and your shit's retarded? Why do you keep spewing gibberish when you'll never actually refute ? Oh, it's because you're a mindless cunt repeating things he read on reddit. Got it. Fuck off kid. Go back to your upvotes and shit.

Seethe harder.
Cope harder.
Dilate more.
Post more articles you didn't read.

See:
Already covered. But keep responding to shit you don't understand with nonsense you copy pasted from reddit. It's exciting.

Which reddit page did I copy paste my comments from?
I'm sure you're familiar with exactly which one.

WOW BURN
that means i win, right guys? reddit lol

You're obviously a reddit fag. Just search the web for the phrases you've been using in your posts. They're all over that site. It's uncanny. Have an upboat if it'll make you feel better though (^). There you go, you mong.

>even with a proxy you still give out your IP
then you're doing it wrong

We all believe you, user.

>we

All of us on the r/Jow Forums subreddit xD

What's the best country for the combination of general safety/QoL and internet freedom?

Attached: 1493833765459.jpg (547x402, 24K)

touché

Attached: 39461_A_ATMag_Web-232x300.jpg (232x300, 18K)

Ethiopia if you're afro-asiatic.
Israel if you're Jewish.
Japan if you're Japanese.
China if you're Xi Jinping.

Get a seedbox, pay with crypto, connect to it via vpn, use sftp.

Anything else is a waste of time and effort.

Isn't Japan bullshit when it comes to copyright?

I was just hastily making assumptions my fren :3

>What's the best way to stay anonymous and safe when torrenting?
use usenet instead you fucking plebs

>paying2pirate