/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

Attached: a15ac59b3588b429328654bb545e1eef.png (1440x900, 1017K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rentry.co/ltsc_optimize)
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/new-window-without-toolbar/
addictivetips.com/web/open-a-website-as-a-stand-alone-app-in-chrome/
Jow
github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc
fosshub.com/PeaZip.html
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smoothscroll/nbokbjkabcmbfdlbddjidfmibcpneigj/reviews
cnet.com/products/hp-rp5800-retail-system-core-i3-2120-3-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Come back to windows
>install WSL
>Can't get WSL 2 to work worth a fucking damn. ( I might be genuinely retarded)
>Find out that Virtual Box wouldn't work anyways.
>I now have a hobbled BASH shell

I don't know if I'm pissed or happy to be back on Windows guys. Besides the infographic on software choices where can I start to get truly comfy with W10?

Attached: 1565705788614.png (1920x8181, 1.65M)

The infograph covers usual use pretty much, so I mostly have special purpose programs installed, regardless here's my list:
Audacity - quick sound editing and recording
CrystalDiskInfo - disk info
f.lux - blue light filter
GitKraken - git client in electron
HxD - hex editor
Inkscape - vector graphics
JetBrains - IDEs, tools, VS plugins
Thunderbird - email
MSYS2 - less shitty cygwin
VMware Workstation - virtualization, vbox is shit
Revive - Oculus to OpenVR hook
WinMerge - diff, but with GUI

Thanks broski. I'm kind of digging the Windows ecosystem and I'm lost without package managers and a command line. Not that I was a 1337 user on Ubuntu.

good thread

Does anyone know where the fuck XP stores the .ico files for it's photo formats?

I wan't to try Win10 LTSc, but I can't figure out the SVF file thing. I think I understood that's it's supposed to put the ltsc version and the language I chose into the consumer edition of windows, but executing the command in cmd.exe gives an error (see pic related).
Any help?

Attached: Capture.jpg (942x511, 79K)

try in a path without spaces or shit characters

also, first use the svf for en->fr then the consumer(fr)->ltsc(fr) , not the reverse order youre trying now

I guess asking here won't hurt. What recovery software do you recommend besides recuva? I accidentally deleted all my shit on my external hdd and recuva Is only able to recover so much.

it's lost user, let it go

Which version of 10 are Zen 2 bros using these days? I wanted to use LTSC but it doesn't have the scheduler update that improves Ryzen performance.

Is it possible to get Enterprise to end up pretty much like an LTSC install? Like completely remove windows store, Cortana, etc. and remove at least as much telemetry as LTSC allowed you to avoid?

ryzen upgrade is not that significant desu, i prefer a stable installation

Are there any instructions for doing this guide (rentry.co/ltsc_optimize) in a Linux environment anywhere?

yes:
0. install the normal iso in vm
1. follow the guide

I mean, I have actual windows environments I could do it in. But I guess you answered my question.

can you create swap partitions on win 10?

no, its always in the pagefile. that being said, if you have a ssd it literally doesnt matter

Been testing scoop and still don't know how I lived my life so far without it. It's perfect.

Remember to install pic related through Scoop.

Attached: mpv1.png (454x266, 30K)

I prefer the shinchiro builds user

mpv.net is based on shinchiro's

The way you shill it on every thread scares me. That's it.

I just want to see more anons getting into mpv.

Attached: 2.gif (312x252, 152K)

i switched from vlc this week and i like it

I was able to recover 90% of my stuff user.. found this program called magoshare and it worked wonders

thats nice, i always thought recuva does p much everything possible, turns out not

Anyone know how to customize windows 7 to look similar to pic related?

Attached: 1566919958836.png (1920x1080, 2.81M)

>a bash shell on windows
Windows doesn't have a kernel right? It's like DLLs or some shit that make it work

Ok, finally back on Windows after a few months and 10's of distros later of trying to make GNU/Linux work

What version of Windows 10 do I have to be on to get WSL version two?

Currently I'm on 18362.295, will that work?

Ya, you need Rainmeter. You can look up tutorial on YouTube and download your own designs or make your own.

You should also download the TranslucentTB from the Microsoft store for added aesthetics of having a clear taskbar.

I made pic related off a pre existing skin.

Attached: Capture.jpg (2990x1958, 555K)

You can also have a music player connected to a variety of sources, I use spotify.

Unrelated, Dose anyone know an extension or application that gives a look that removes the tabs and searchbar at the top of the browser. I'd like to basically look at a square of plain webpage.

Attached: Capture.jpg (2595x1552, 408K)

there's a firefox extension that launches a new window without any of that garbage

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/new-window-without-toolbar/

you could also open the web page as an application if you're using Chrome or Chredge

addictivetips.com/web/open-a-website-as-a-stand-alone-app-in-chrome/

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\msedge.exe" --app=Jow Forums.org/g/

That is exactly what I'm looking for thanks guys.

I'm more interested in that wallpaper, like ten reverse search engines and still can't find shite.

Is it safe to install the Intel GPU drivers with store removed? I read something about it needing to download the control panel and other shit from the store rather than be bundled with the drivers themselves for whatever reason.

Not my wallpaper sorry. Found it on the desktop threa

d

MPC-HC die hards should know about:
>github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc

Attached: mpc-hc.png (200x200, 30K)

the infograph tells you to use this so I'd assume a lot here know about it

You're right, I did not notice that.

I'll mention PeaZip then. Does a lot of useful stuff.
>peazip.org
Also available from fosshub:
>fosshub.com/PeaZip.html

Attached: peazip.png (200x200, 17K)

good bred

is a guide on making enterprise iso needed yet or I can follow the lstc one and modify it?

well, you can use the tools used for LTSC optimize, namely Optimize-Offline

what's the point of peazip over 7zip now that 7zip is public domain

I don't see a reason to use anything but 7zip. It just werks.

I want to nakadashi nanami-chan

Who here using ChromEdge? I like it, it's pretty nice. Can install Chrom* extensions so there's nothing I'm missing unlike regular Edge. Although the title/tab bar doesn't have the nice transparency effect that regular Edge has.

Attached: edge-extensions-from-chrome-web-store.jpg (2201x1454, 323K)

After switching from LTSC back to 1903, I experience yet more issues. Now at random times, search just decides to shit the bed and take a year to open up.

Back to LTSC. Is there a reason to go with the slightly outdated Optimize-LTSC or is it better at this point to use the currently maintained Optimize-Offline instead?

i mean, ltsc doesnt really change so the tools for it don't really need much changes either. if in doubt you can just diff the two i guess

There is a flag that lets you force Chrome (or any Chromium browser) to use Aero Glass transparency. You have to put -disable-windows10-custom-titlebar on the end of its shortcut.
Note: That command is for version 76 and onwards.

Now if only they brought that smooth scrolling from regular Edge, and didn't decide to ditch ePUB support (which is kind of neat in my opinion)...

Why is Qwant still recommended when they've pledged to censor search results?

Oh I'm talking about the transparency on Windows 10 regular Edge, just for the tab bar. Much more subtle and tasteful than Aero Glass

Attached: edge-vs-edge-beta.png (1440x150, 54K)

Try the Chrome Extension Smooth Scroll, it has an IE setting which fools me, I really like it. It recommends you install some garbage software and addons though when you install it, but no ads in the actual usage of the extension after you install it.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smoothscroll/nbokbjkabcmbfdlbddjidfmibcpneigj/reviews

Attached: tooko sees all.jpg (192x150, 15K)

Do I have to pay for Windows? Or is there ways to get it for free?

Well, I guess until they add that feature this is pretty much the only option.

>Move and merge partitions on C: drive to reclaim 700MB of unused space (using
>Restart computer to apply changes
>Computer dies, no POST, just fans spinning
>Unplug all drives and GFX card, still nothing
Is it possible to fuck up a motherboard by moving SDD partition, or is it a coincidence?

Here's how I got my Win10 Pro license:

Pirated 8.1, activated
Upgraded to Win10
Suddenly legit "digital entitlement" license attached to my Microsoft account (and presumably my hardware)

Windows doesnt have a kernel you say?
And its a type of file that controls it?
If someone where to... no.
>stuxnet

Cool. Is Win 10 Pro okay to use? It is not recommended in the OP, but it is the latest and all..

What do most people in this thread actually use?

It has telemetry so if you're privacy oriented you shouldn't run it. but then again, you shouldn't run any version of Windows if you are obsessed with privacy. I installed the fast ring update to get WSL2 and it forced me to have full telemetry (so they can get information on how it runs, bugs, etc). I had it set on basic before. It also gave me a watermark, which was easy enough to remove.

If you just run the standard Win10 build you won't have to worry about a watermark and can set the telemetry to "basic" which is still a lot of data but that's the price of using latest Windows.

I don't recommend using LTSC or other meme editions because you don't get the latest features and stuff like that, but it can be useful if you want to install less updates. But if you're using Windows 10 you should suck it up and install the updates as they come, again it's the price you pay for using Windows.

Thanks user

look at the paste. LTSC if you want stability, Education (or Enterprise, doesnt matter if you remove ads anyways) if you want bi-annual updates

Don't need rainmeter at all.

Attached: SS_2019-08-28_38.png (1920x1080, 451K)

Please, enlighten us user

likely just coincidence

>installed LTSC without using optimize-offline
>removed as much telemetry as I could
>still considering reinstalling but with bloat removed from installation media

is it worth it? do you guys think it's good enough to configure group policy to disable telemetry, disable most nonessential windows services, and block all microsoft ips in hosts? i've ran a few of those open source debloating tools too. but i still think it could be worth the hassle to completey reinstall

nah its fine, not worth a reinstall imo

I have two accounts: a local account for personal use and an Administrator account with a totally different password
Can I run a program with admin permissions without being logged in as an Admin?
If I try to do it it generates the files I need in C:\Users\Administrator instead of C:\Users\Myname

What are your thoughts in the Tixati torrent client? since I don't see it in the infograph

How do I get into sysadmin for windows server which resources do you recommend?
is omnisecu okay?

Is a package manager recommended for using windows like a normie?

Guys, I made a bootable USB using Rufus and the en_windows_embedded_8.1_industry_pro_with_update_x64_dvd_6052086.iso linked in the OP.
However, when I reach the partition selection, I'm getting this error:
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

What do I do?
I have an old office PC. This one specifically:
cnet.com/products/hp-rp5800-retail-system-core-i3-2120-3-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/

Attached: en_windows_embedded_8.1_industry_pro_with_update_x64_dvd_6052086.png (606x210, 13K)

convert it to GPT?

has been mentioned before, they're apparently shilling for their proprietary chat shit, and it reports incorrect data so its banned on private trackers

Would this suffice? Sorry, I'm not too keen on this type of things.

Attached: rufus-3.6p.png (422x537, 19K)

no, you need to convert the target disk, not the installation media. or do you have another OS installed on it that you want to keep for dualboot?

>no, you need to convert the target disk
How would I go about doing that?

>or do you have another OS installed on it that you want to keep for dualboot?
Well, right now I do have Windows 7 Professional. It would be cool to keep it there in case anything goes wrong.

>How would I go about doing that?
diskpart, windows installer refuses to do that automatically if it finds another install

>Well, right now I do have Windows 7 Professional. It would be cool to keep it there in case anything goes wrong.
then you should instead change your uefi to legacy boot amd install the new system as legacy. this removes some security features and makes booting slower.

I opened up diskpart, selected my main hard drive where my Win7 is, tried to use the command "create partition extended size=50000" to create a partition of 50 GBs, and it says:
"No usable free extent could be found."

There's 196 GBs left of space on that drive right now, for what it's worth.

Attached: diskpart.png (673x336, 18K)

just do `convert gpt` from installer, then you should be able to use the normal partitioner in installer just fine

also would be nice if you said which of the two options i listed you want to do, and posted an image of disk partitioner (or a partition list from diskpart)

Jow Forumsays memes doesn't work irl retard

fag + autism

helloreddit:^)

Attached: old_fag.jpg (535x444, 11K)

Is the latest Windows Server lighter on the botnet than 10 Enterprise?

If I want something resembling Windows 7, which themes and software should I use?

StartIsBack, maybe OldNewExplorer, for theming an user here made SecureUxTheme and also theres some flag on the LTSC optimize paste that enables some win7 feeling tweaks, look at what it does

Thank you very much.
It's a bit weird to see civility on Jow Forums, but I'm taking it gladly.

How did you do that?

It was a screenshot from the web. Idk why some guy would be r*ddit tho, looks more like a facebook kinda guy.

Sir, please do the needful and forget about any botnets. Install Windows 10 Pro, update to the fast ring, and turn telemetry to the max.

read the thread title retard

thats not too friendly, user

FUCK YOU

Have a nice day user, it's a friendly thread but it's still Jow Forums.

Did you mean: 4channel?

How's Server 2019 for desktop usage? Downloading the ISO rn to replace enterprise ltsc

Attached: 1553051252411.png (773x900, 567K)

LTSC and server are same branch so its basically same except you'll have trouble installing drivers, games, making desktop features work, etc..