Enter software center or whatever is called on your distro

>enter software center or whatever is called on your distro
>search for some software
>FORK OF THE FORK OF THE FORK OF THE FORK
>"This software is lacking some basic functionalities but i will fix it in the next updates" (abandoned)
>how to make your pc look like a mac os
>multiples ones that work horribly and with a bad GUI that doesn't even have a quarter of the functionalities of their counterpart on windows/mac
>go to a normal store on windows/mac
>decent software with a nice GUI that actually works
>$20.00
>"i think i will make some nice software for GNU/Linux"
>Ok after investing months of work on this i will change $10 for it
>"NOOOOO YOU NEED TO MAKE IT OPEN SOURCE AND FREE, YOU SHOULD LIVE ENTIRELY OFF DONATIONS AND I PROMISE YOU I AM NOT A COMMIE"
>"WHAT? WHY ARE YOU ONLY RELEASING IT ON WINDOWS AND MAC NOW?"
>"NOOOO WHY WE NEVER GET NICE SOFTWARE"
>"IT DOESN'T MATTER I DONT NEED A FANCY INTERFACE I CAN DO IT WITH THIS PROGRAM THAT USES THE CONSOLE"
>ERROR
>IT DOESN'T MATTER I WILL SEARCH FOR DOCUMENTATION
>last update: 2010

Attached: 161654.jpg (1090x733, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macintoshgarden.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You what lad

pebkac

>trusting Ubuntu babies with your software
That's to be expected user. Tryhard teenagers use Ubuntu to look cool and then get themselves involved in projects that are way above their scope to try to earn coolboy points.

>>enter software center or whatever is called on your distro
stopped reading right there

also the store on windows has never worked for me, it's so buggy and i have been using Windows 10 since day one, cli package managers are the fucking future and fuck off

Open source is for retarded tech commies.

you need to cope harder

What if Jow Forums crowdfunded a libre software development center in Africa or Latin America where it's cheap to send talented NEET/homeless programmers to write libre software that's compatible with GNU/Linux?

Attached: codemonkeys.jpg (400x261, 118K)

>Not only installing software from source
Fucking pathetic

Free software means freedom not price.

Libre inherently means gratis as you can just compile without license checking or whatever

It's ok to charge money

Hiri is good and they don't get hate

99% of those apps are made for resume purposes so pajeets can say they have 15 years experience in linux

How does that imply gratis? No one has to send you the code for free.

Every time I see this bullshit cope, I ask for examples of paid *gpl* code and I get 0 response.

RHEL

redhat enterprise linux
paying for physical installation media

I can literally run the demo in a VM indefinitely. Anything else?

You can also run windows indefinitely in a VM without paying. What's your point?

RHEL is no better than ubuntu but there is no alternative to windows. I'm asking why I would want to release the source code for small and easy to build projects such as ones in app stores, at all? I'm effectively extorting people money for their freedom, so why play this game at all?

Asking money in exchange for providing a product or service isn't extortion.
>there is no alternative to windows
Yes, nothing is as good as windows at restricting user freedoms and creating vendor lock.

>isn't extortion
It violates RMS's definitions of freedom.
>user freedoms
Intangible.
>vendor lock
Marginal.
I need autocad mechanical for my work and linux does not support it, so I stay with Windows. Small wonder why freecad and other so-called alternatives are not paid, maybe with a budget they'll be able to hire the same elite programmers and designers as Adobe.

>literal worship of autodesk and adobe
>dismisses freedom as irrelevant, and vendor lock as "marginal" while admitting to being fully vendor locked and being disadvantaged by it
Why do I respond when I can see this shit coming from a mile away? Free software means freedom not price, no definition is violated.

The only way I'm vendor locked is locked out by linux because it has no software, and Mac, because their computers cost thousands. Windows is the smart choice.
When I give you a binary, I violate you running software for any purpose as you see fit, and the ability to modify it. I gain nothing from releasing source code because it's such a pitiful minority of people who make any use of it at all.

Microsoft and google fund the Linux foundation, and google funds Debian while Microsoft funds ubuntu. gnu/Linux is very corporate. when it comes to their histories, foss people aren't very open source.

This is why Linux is not desktop-friendly. The package manage has everything you need.

If the software was free and open source, anyone could port it to any operating system. Instead your vendor forces you to stay on one operating system. That's vendor lock. It doesn't matter if only a minority of people could do the port, because once it's done everyone benefits.

*package manager

I have doubts anyone at all is making a port of such a complex system, when linux lacks equally functional AMD and nvidia drivers, has no standardised DE or display protocol. All in all, too clustered. They would have to study the entire code and make careful changes, all in the highest quality representative of Adobe and its business practices - stuttering and crashing and mission is over. I doubt anyone can do this because darwin/xnu has been open source for more than a decade and not a single hotshot has made it into a distro.

If the software is free as in freedom then no one has to give a shit about Adobe's business practices, or a standardized DE, or drivers, or whatever. You just do the port.
>darwin/xnu
There was a project (OpenDarwin) but it died because of lack of interest and lack of communication from Apple. Just use any other BSD.

>no one has to give a shit
How will you market a product if the company associates itself with amateurs who don't have their hide in the game, and churn out bad, unaudited software? If Adobe and Autodesk saw even minimal interest, monetary and otherwise, on Linux, and it was easy enough for randoms to do, they'd have done the port themselves. And if they open source these projects, how will they keep up paid subscriptions if you can simply build it without these functionalities?
>any other BSD
All other BSDs have dogshit performance in computing benchmarks and package manager processing speed.

I never said they have to associate with anybody. If open sourcing the software is enough to cause their paid subscriptions to dry up then that's a good thing, it means they were overpriced to begin with.
>All other BSDs have dogshit performance in computing benchmarks and package manager processing speed
Then improve them.

>overpriced
They are overpriced indeed but the paid alternatives are not good enough for enough people to warrant them. The free alternatives are a joke. And how do you decide what pricepoint a product should be at? Because there are entire professions revolving around this question.
>improve them.
Sure thing, $100/hr.

To decide a good price point, do market research. There is no other way.
>$100/hr
That sounds like a fine rate for you to pay someone for the improvements you want.

>do market research
They did and it turns out people are happy to dosh out anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars a year. Open sourcing it would land a more fatal blow than piracy since you can now actually modify the entire program and remove any sort of DRM or similar feature.
>pay someone
Hahahahahaha. I'm not paying anyone, free=gratis. That's the price I want the freebsd foundation or whatever it's called to compensate me. Alternatively, $1k per merged code.

FOSS people are the SJW of computing. Both FOSS and SJWs are impossible to please. You can provide a web based service for for free, release your code under permissive licenses, do everything you want but they will STILL bitch at you for the most autistic shit, like begging you to make your shit work even when they block all the java script

>you can fix it if you open a pull request
NOPE, too lazy
>fork it then
NOPE, too lazy
>pay me and I'll do it
NOPE, too poor

FOSS people have no influence, social skills, or income so they're not worth my time. just like SJW

>I refuse to pay for FOSS and things without DRM therefore it isn't worth anything
Aaaand this discussion is over. I don't know why I expected more from an autodesk shill.

Your customers will always beg you to do stupid shit no matter what license you use or what your business is. Learn to say no.

Why do you think I hold a grudge? I don't earn 6 figures, two apartments, and a villa off of virtue signaling cuckware.

Your neighbor has a larger salary, hotter wife and bigger villa than you.

He does, and he's a manager - what I will become in some years. I've already achieved mine, I'm the 1%. I just come here from time to time as a mood boost, to witness all these coping mechanisms and how a man can fall.

And yet neither of you can afford to hire someone to make the improvements you seek in FreeBSD. Who is the one coping here exactly?

libre ≠ gratis

bait and still answering

>FORK OF THE FORK OF THE FORK OF THE FORK
Only possible because open source. In propriety scenario software would have died 10 years a go.

>"This software is lacking some basic functionalities but i will fix it in the next updates" (abandoned)
check above

>how to make your pc look like a mac os
Your repos.

>multiples ones that work horribly and with a bad GUI that doesn't even have a quarter of the functionalities of their counterpart on windows/mac

Office and financial = true (Microsoft got this)
cad = true on some scenarios
Music = true on some scenarios
non web-project art = true

>go to a normal store on windows/mac
Like Tesco?
>decent software with a nice GUI that actually works
Abandoned without support in couple years
macintoshgarden.org/ it goes

>"i think i will make some nice software for GNU/Linux"
Go ahead. Provide good documentation and API. Maybe someday someone will want to use that program.

>Ok after investing months of work on this i will change $10 for it
I do not want it, reasons:
No easy code inspection. Not compatible with otherwise open source economy I have. Months of work in startup is scenario where I do not expect continuity only gimmicks.

>"NOOOOO YOU NEED TO MAKE IT OPEN SOURCE AND FREE, YOU SHOULD LIVE ENTIRELY OFF DONATIONS AND I PROMISE YOU I AM NOT A COMMIE"
Steps to be commie:
1. Own company,
2. Have it have it's work base in communist dictatorship country.
3. Install multiple backdoors and low security features "without your knowledge".
4. Sell it to wellfare state. For instance (Government infrastructure/army)
5. Keep code propriety and make security updates last only 2 years.
6. After that promise it's free market economy and you have not sold out your user base for said dictatorships (Blatantly lie)
7. Make press play down or ignore poor security.
8. REPEAT and profit!