Western Digital

Western Digital
Seagate
Samsung

Who makes the best hard drives?

Attached: 1565811247180.jpg (713x1080, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/
backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/
backblaze.com/blog/2018-hard-drive-failure-rates/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Toshiba.

>HDDs
>in 2019

SSDs are basically the only option these days. HDDs are only worth keeping around if you already have one. The last HDD I got came in a laptop. I swapped it for an SSD and put the HDD in a $10 external HDD case.

Attached: 1519287889388.jpg (1204x1600, 273K)

>Completely missing the point of the thread

HAHAHAHAHAH

Attached: 1508255132712.png (1000x700, 101K)

She's pretty good at making my drive hard.

Garbage post. Yes SSDs are nicer but cost/gb HDDs win even accounting for lower warranty periods.
Backblaze seems like the only entity that has done significant research into hard drive longevity, check the stats that they publish though keep in mind less than half of their inventory is commodity SKUs

>if the point was to post Asian girls

I posted one

>if the point was to say who the best HDD maker is

I responded to that with a relevant opinion about how its not even worth answering the question.

So fuck off.

Attached: 93-1554510764-1420165159.jpeg.jpg (1920x1080, 430K)

And your opinion is completely irrelevant becuase your use case is obviously not what OP is asking for.

oppai

?

It is relevant to HDDs. It pertains to them. It encompasses them. You didn't like that it was also a reality check.

Attached: Le_Mans.webm (1024x576, 1006K)

Not when it comes to storage/price. Which is what HDDs are used for these days.

They're not affordable yet. an 8 TB SSD still costs upwards of $800.

For external HDDs I've always used WD, never once failed *knocks on wood*
For internal SSDs Samsung.

Same.

I bought a 4TB HDD 3 years ago for $100, even now it costs more for an SSD with half that amount of storage.

I would beg to differ. The price gap has narrowed so much at the lower end that SSDs have overtaken HDDs in terms of price per gb at storages below 400gb. At 500gb they are almost even, but SSDs are the obvious choice because they have much higher performance than 500gb HDDs. Even at 1tb, waiting for a good deal will quickly get you a price that makes picking up a SATA SSD a no brainier decision.

In everyday computing, the SSD is worth it. If you want to get a 2tb, 4tb, etc HDD, I would ask you why you don't already have some old ones that you ripped out of a PC or something. While it's indeed cheaper, you're also putting everything into a single point of failure. I'd rather have a bunch of 2tb HDDs for back ups than put all my data on a single 8tb HDD.

Yeah, you should have some HDDs and it is okay to get a couple if you have literally none, but don't get new ones if you have can just get an SSD and take a HDD from a computer you're putting the SSD in. Get two 2tb HDDs or one 4tb. You should be getting additional HDDs out of all the SSD swaps you can do.

Attached: F25C542207C442DB868D99B7560752F6.jpg (574x1024, 35K)

Technically doesn't make them anymore, but HGST

I'd say WD but that's only because I've seen a lot of dead Seagate drives

Anyone got recent statistics?

Attached: graph.jpg (773x651, 40K)

>Tfw own a toshiba HDD.

Nice.

Attached: 1566927365812.png (477x524, 340K)

what the fuck does this graph even mean? there is no detail about what these numbers are supposed to mean. shit graph.

Are you fucking dumb? Higher is ALWAYS better.

Toshiba has overtaken Hitachi and is now the new king of HDDs.

Seagate

WD not even relevant these days

Attached: 16.jpg (2500x2500, 395K)

>what the fuck does this graph even mean?

Apologies. It means that hard drive failure rates were 11% or below for those four companies in the years 2014 to 2016. HGST had a failure rate of 1.03% in 2016.

It's one thing for a HDD to fail, but it's quite other thing for it to fail and take 16 terabytes of data with it.

Attached: 1559886010562.jpg (673x673, 43K)

WD ftw
Samsung's HDD business was bought by seagate. so any samsung drives you see now are either old or a rebranded seagate

The last part of your message is exactly what OP is going to do, which is why he's asking for advice on brands.
What is it that you're not getting here?

I've heard that WD drives are more reliable than Seagate.

no it's not
the hdd is 16TB, it is literally the same thing to have it fail and lose 16TB of data

You can keep using your ssds, no one is holding you back. If you need mass storage for a low price, hdds are a very good option and you wouldn't need an ssd for storing music and movies, which is just a waste of money.

Have you even seen HDD prices lately!? They're cheap asfuck too. The price gap hasn't shrunk in terms of percentage.

no idea. havent used one in years. still have 500gb segate drive in working condition if it means anything.

Not if it doesn't have 16tb of data on it yet.

WD never disappointed me. Seagate did. So my choice is clear. Someone might have the opposite experience of course.

HDDs are basically just gambling at this point.

Yum titties make hard.

Trash. Literally been using seagate my whole life and the one time I buy a Toshiba drive it died on me.

based cumbrain

Samsung doesn't make hard drives anymore.
Seagate is Seagate, wouldn't trust them with my cooking recipes.
That leaves Western Digital, the only respectable manufacturer on your list.

HGST was the best, but WD acquired and killed it.

>reading comprehension

That top needs to be more transparent

>Western Digital
Yes
>Seagate
Yes
>Toshiba
Yes
>Samsung
No

I wonder if this was tested in a lab under same conditions or just made by some shit user feedback who abused their hhds.

Here's a little something something.

Attached: 175_1000.jpg (700x467, 75K)

W H O ?
H
O
?

DIDDIES

I don't know, even though I have a ton of videos of her.

look in the top left corner of the photo

[Perception: 8]

Boobies.

>bought 120gb seagate hhd in 2001
>still works
What did it mean by this?

Attached: 1503575688771.jpg (1300x976, 525K)

how much did that cost you?

Around 150€.

Attached: 1543127737718.jpg (1279x1726, 555K)

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/

backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/

backblaze.com/blog/2018-hard-drive-failure-rates/

Ignore old graphs, they don't reflect the current data

Western digital, low end seagates are known to fail due to the disc being damaged heavily by the little are inside. Also they're a bit cheaper

i still have the 80GB hdd i bought in 2003, but i forget exactly how much i paid for it, probably around or a little less than NZ$150
it's currently in an xbox which i lent to a friend ages ago, afaik it still works

Nah tits too big, disproportionate to the body, and she looks like a total slag.

Eyes : 20/20

>Seagate
Ahahaha

I'm not sure, it was around 150€ but it could have been more, I bought other stuff with it so I don't really remember.
In 2004, I bought an 80gb toshiba, just for the OS and it was less than 80€, that one still works too, I got a few 80gb maxtors that I salvaged from old computers that I got for free and they all still work.

>Seagate
Oh nononononononononononononononono.

>and she looks like a total slag.

Maybe that's because she's white. Only Asian girls are pure.

120GB just sounds a bit big for 2001, though i wasn't looking at the time
i dont think they sold anything bigger than 200GB when i got my 80GB drive
was pretty spacious at the time, i can't believe we now have single games that are bigger than that

Toshiba.

>120GB just sounds a bit big for 2001
And it was, every time I mentioned to anyone that I had a 120gb hhd, people looked at me in disbelief, but at the time I had the mentality of, if I was going to upgrade, I was going for the maximum that I could afford, I went from a 8gb hdd (who most people in the year 2000 thought it was a lot) to a 120gb hhd.
I also bought a 256 ram stick, so with 320mb of ram, my 500mhz Pentium 3 was ready to take off.

Wow, computers really sucked in the early 00's. It's not like now, where computers have been stagnant for the last 4 years.

HDDs do better secure data destruction and data recovery, and are better for mass (more than 2TB) and long-term storage
also, when it comes to price/storage, HDDs still win
SSDs are at least 10 cents per GB (excluding QLC but even they are 8-9 cents) while HDDs are 2-3 cents per GB and that's excluding 5400 RPM or seagate drives. so it's around 3-5x more expensive for SSDs
also you yourself admitted that you should get an HDD if you don't have one already so why did you pretend that they're obsolete in [current year]
SSDs aren't objectively better than HDDs, they're different. you should store your media (images, music, videos etc.) on an HDD, they have zero benefits from being stored on SSDs and have a few benefits being stored on HDDs, while also being cheaper. spending $800 to store 8TB on anime on SSDs instead of spending way less to store them on HDDs is just foolish
so stop doing this shit when OP asks a question, people have different uses and new technology isn't just objective upgrades to old ones, even a 36GB 10000RPM drive I got in 2003 has it's niche, though I won't say what that is other than secure data destruction

FPBP

forgot to attach an asian girl to my post

Attached: 1548435472295.jpg (1080x1080, 205K)

>buy a HDD in 2019
>two year warranty
Who are they even kidding? Shit has REGRESSED over time.

>not buying a WD BLACKED edition with a 5 year warranty

>I've seen a lot of dead Seagate drives
it's their whole thing, it's what they're known for, and what I didn't listen to only to regret it, believe the stories

>when it comes to price/storage, HDDs still win

Not under 500gb and between 500-1000gb it's still worth the extra coin for the speed.

>you yourself admitted that you should get an HDD if you don't have one already so why did you pretend that they're obsolete in [current year]

Because you should never buy a new one. You should buy a new SSD and replace one of your desktop or laptop HDDs with said SSD, then put the HDD in a cheap enclouser. Bam. Faster PC and you got a still usable HDD from the upgrade.

having avoided Seagate my entire life I've yet to experience losing a drive, mostly WD drives and the occasional Toshiba

>you should store your media (images, music, videos etc.) on an HDD, they have zero benefits from being stored on SSDs

Your music, image, or video player will open said media instantly from an SSD. It takes a couple of seconds from a HDD.

Cuck.

That's the thing, though.
Even cheap SSDs have 5 year warranties, and stepping up to a 10 year warranty isn't as expensive as going 2 to 5 with HDDs.

Only cucks don't want the Big Black Disk with it's superior warranty

Attached: WD-Black-6TB-02.jpg (480x480, 43K)

Who actually claims warranties, though?

>not under 500GB
4 cents vs 10-12 cents, so no
either way, under 500GB is usually what people won't want an HDD for, except in a very special use scenario. in said special use scenario, you'd want as high RPM as you can get and you would want your capacity as low as possible, or at least, only as high as the largest amount it will ever need to carry
>between 500GB and 1TB it's worth the extra price
that's your opinion but images, music and videos do not benefit whatsoever from the extra speed and some people might rather have the secure data destruction, better data recover or better long-term storage instead anyways
there are still reasons to buy a new HDD, people have different use cases and there's 3-5x the difference in price. stop assuming others are like you and that only the your use is considered
I don't think that's worth double the price to save a couple seconds (which I kinda doubt, that could be more dependent on what OS or program you're using, windows has a delay of closing anything while linux doesn't), you really have to reach to find a reason to store your anime or movies on SSDs user

Anyone who has a drive fail in that time?
Who wouldn't?

Computers peaked in the late 00's, any core 2 CPU with 4gb of ram is more than enough to browse the web.

CHINKY MILKY

>secure data destruction, better data recover

Whatever happened to SSD files being undeletable? Pick one.

People who threw away their recipt.

>4 cents vs 10-12 cents, so no

Way to deliberately ignore QLC SATA SSDs.

This is why I scan all my important receipts, plus thermal paper degrades even if you keep it

on an HDD if you want to recover data that hasn't been securely destroyed it's easier
it's also easier to securely destroy data
basically it's more reliable
you can recover data on an SSD (though not as well as HDDs, sure the data is on the drive but finding it and recovering it is less reliable), but good luck securely destroying it
I do believe that SSDs are overall better for most people but I argue against the notion they're just objectively better
as I've said, even a 36GB HDD has it's own special use case
find me any SSD that is cheaper than $50 and has at least 500GB, that's 10 cents per GB
now try and find one that's $20
I didn't ignore any drives, actually the only drives I ignored were 5400RPM HDDs

Receipt? What's that?
If you buy it from Newegg, or Amazon, or another store they'll have a record of your purchase. Just return it through them like any regular RMA.

seagate=toshiba=wd(hgst). no difference with high capacity drives.
samsung is ded
hgst>wd>seagate with capacities from 2~6TB
I doubt that you can afford 50TiB of usable storage space with SSDs. You obviously use both, they all have their uses.
it might seem crazy to have a big HDD die, but you do save tons of physical space, so high density is great.

Who?

Hitomi Tanaka.

This is literally that fucking "Stackoverflow in a nutshell" meme but with hardware.

No it isn't I know hitomi

I don't think saving less than 1 cent a day is worth the slower writing and reading speed

that slower write and read does not matter for some things user holy fuck how can you not comprehend this
it is fucking 4-5x as expensive for zero benefit for media
that is your opinion that spending quadruple the money is worth no benefit user, but I hope you can understand others don't share it