ARM

So when are we getting a decent laptop out of this architecture?
Pinebook pro seems fine for its pricepoint, but I don't know how reliable is that brand to be honest.
I remember reading an user using the latest samsung tablet with dex, he claimed the performance was quite good even whilst running that stinky foot DE.
Also there's the 8cx coming up but I suspect its pricepoint is going to be around 1k usd.

So to sum up, when are we going to see an ARM powered laptop we decent features, that doesn't cost an arm (heh) and a leg? My wildest dream is to have stable performance along a day of continuous use (just exaggerating though), what about you, user?

Attached: arm.jpg (664x401, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-L340-17API-laptop-review-17-3-incher-pleases-with-good-battery-life.430901.0.html
laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/new-ipad-pro-2018-129-inch
anandtech.com/show/13661/the-2018-apple-ipad-pro-11-inch-review/6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
geekbench.com/doc/geekbench5-cpu-workloads.pdf
anandtech.com/show/14726/samsung-announces-alwaysconnected-galaxy-book-s-laptop-with-snapdragon-8cx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wait a few years for the inevitable low cost MediaTek equivalent.

>I want the moon
>but I also want it for $200
just buy a Galaxy Book, you choosing beggar

>So when are we getting a decent laptop out of this architecture?
Chromebooks, I guess?

Nobody else cares. MS is wed to x86, Linux fans want an open ISA, and Apple could sell rocks and people would still buy them.

The ARM powered Hp books sold so well they couldn't keep them in stock. Theres clearly desire out there for it, even if people only momentarily captivated by novelty.

>MediaKek
Sad but true

the MT8173C is more than adequate for shitposting and web browsing

2020 is most likely ARM Mac release date. Poorfags will have to wait two more years.

Not exactly the greatest idea, as there's no standard computer that use it, so every manufacturer can do it's own "special way" to do hardware that makes very hard to boot linux on it. (See android phones).

A lot of companies have started making windows 2 in 1 laptops with arm cpus.
I think some lenovo yogas have that.
In any case i think its the only future low-end / low-power computers.
Maybe if apple decides to push the macbook air on arm we will see more people moving low ends to mac.

Doubtful. Cross platform support isn't even out this year yet, ipados is still garbage, and while the news cycle pushed it last week it's going to take a lot more than articles to put osx on ARM. 2022 is more likely. 2021 maybe with a testbed base model Macbook. All they have going for then right now is Photoshop for ARM coming out this year.

To make a decent ARM laptop would mean pushing the power envelope and at some point you loose all the advantages you had with arm

pine is very reliable..

>2021 maybe with a testbed base model Macbook
Well, that's how I expect them to start, just a year earlier since they killed the current base Macbook this year, so have to be pretty close to an ARM refresh.

All the iPad OS limitations are down to it being made for a tablet. Not something relevant for ARM version of MacOS, and the hardware is already on point, so all that's left is third party support; which shouldn't take that long for the most important stuff. Don't forget that the Photoshop now is also being optimised for the touch UI, hence it takes extra long AND that they keep this shit under wraps, so people will keep buying Intel trash and iPads.

By not that much. If passively cooled 7-9W chip like A12X wrecks 25W Intel chips, an air cooled 25W ARM chip should be easy on par with the 50W ones, which is a total overkill either way.

>If passively cooled 7-9W chip like A12X wrecks 25W Intel chips
But it doesn't. Geekbench scores are literally worse than useless

For all the advantages ARM has over low power x86 I just don't see your average user being willing to give up the large software catalog that already exists. And without mainstream support companies are unlikely to develop new ARM laptops.

Where I work there's a saying: "Windows RT, more like Windows Real Trash"

No one talks about these. There are real performance comparisons in tasks like media editing, gayming with Civ V (which is identical to PC version) and so on.

Now obviously there are other factors involved like hardware decoders, lighter OS and so on, but the crucial part is the end result, and if your 11" iPad renders a 4K video at the same speed as a 15" laptop … it's a great result.

Non-compete policies with existing products means the iBook has to be fucked in some way besides just running ARM. I'm betting it either uses a phone OS or is shittier than the iPad pro in some way.

I only say 2021 because it will coincide with the actual new iPhone and not just a refresh with more cameras, which gives a lot of leverage to ignore how shitty it's going to be for the first year or 5.

>8 core ARM CPU @ ~1.5 Ghz with a 6-12CU Navi and 4GB HBM and a 25-35W TDP when?
One can dream I guess.

Yeah the company politics is probably where the biggest slowdown will come from, although it's not like they would benefit from selling fewer laptops with their own CPU's instead of paying Intel premium prices for trash. It looks like they want to keep the iPad experience different, so not much of an issue here either.

>actual new iPhone and not just a refresh with more cameras
iPhone 6 design lasted for 4 years and given just how boring 11 is going to be, the hopes for 12 bringing something new to the table seem rather optimistic. There isn't much left when it comes to phones beyond flexible screens and seeing the recent fails plus knowing how slow Apple is to embrace new tech ... ehh.

>For all the advantages ARM has over low power x86

lmao what advantages, Intel just released 6 core parts in 4k ultrabooks that get 20 hours of battery life.

Too bad those have like 50+ security vulnerabilities with huge performance regressions. When is AMD going to release a zen 2 + navi APU?

Which are 16% faster than 4 core parts.

>that get 20 hours of battery life
Nah.

What a joke AMD doesn't even have ultrabooks.

>When is AMD going to release a zen 2 + navi APU?
Probably never. Renoir is Vega IGP.

They don’t have the best track record with hardware and ever since jobs quit, there’s been zero experimental projects. The shift to ARM seems inevitable but the initial presentation has to sell it and I don’t think an 11 inch laptop with a slightly unfucked keyboard is going to do it unless it has mass market pricing.

>So to sum up, when are we going to see an ARM powered laptop we decent features, that doesn't cost an arm (heh) and a leg?
The Pinebook Pro just released to non-forum members on Sunday, so last Sunday would be my guess. I just managed to eke one out when they restocked early Monday morning because all Intel laptops are pozzed and AMD laptops don't exist. An RK3399 means that it'll have the full support of libreboot freetards, so I'm hedging my bets on it being the de-facto nu-age freetard machine, but I won't have any idea of how it is until I get it. Worst case scenario, I'll shuck the board from the laptop when the battery is hosed and use it as a very expensive SBC.

Attached: 1560363319781.jpg (986x1024, 66K)

A12X has 2 more cores, a more powerful GPU than Intel 10th gens, and comparable power consumption

>"Our practical Wi-Fi test simulates the load caused by accessing websites. The "balanced" profile is activated, the energy saving functions are turned off and the display brightness is set to about150 cd/m2. The Ideapad reaches a runtime of 6:54 hours. Although Lenovo only gave the L340 a relatively small battery (36 Wh), the device can squeeze out a lot of runtime from the battery."

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-L340-17API-laptop-review-17-3-incher-pleases-with-good-battery-life.430901.0.html

Isn't 7 hours out of a 36Whr battery good? Anyway yeah it's not an ultrabook but I really go out of my way to avoid intel at all costs. Spectre and meltdown security mitigations cut SSD performance in half, right?

Attached: csm_4zu3_Lenovo_Ideapad_L340_17API_dd0468a603.jpg (738x554, 65K)

>there’s been zero experimental projects
What experimental projects did Jobs have? Most of the time Apple just took ideas from others and perfected the stuff. Which they did with the watch, airpods, 12" Macbook and iPad Pro. None of the stuff is innovative but it did shit that others attempted right.

>but the initial presentation has to sell it
>slightly modernize current design with smaller bezels and make the stuff thinner
>start the 11" version at 899 bucks and the 13" one at 999
>hire more chinks to sate the insane demand
People were damn hyped about the current shit-tier Air because it was slightly faster and cheaper than their other retina laptops. The same laptop with ARM chip would be much faster and could be sold slightly below the 1k mark, making it poorfag friendly. As long there are ARM ports from the big names, most wouldn't care about lack of old x86 stuff.

Actually looks pretty impressive. Its too bad Global Foundries is suing TSMC to stop the production.

My 2500 u laptop gets 6-8 hours out of a 42whr battery depending on what I'm doing with it.
You'll have to wait for Renoir to see a truly big jump in battery life.

>7h
>1600 x 900 pixel
>dark room tier brightness
Nah, still shit despite the smaller than average battery.

12" Macbook from 2017 with a 1440p screen and 41.4 Whr battery lasted 9h in their test. Sure, MacOS is more efficient but it's still pathetic after two years.

You conveniently forgot that it heavily throttles and overheats after a few minutes. pic related happened to me on my ipad pro 2018 on more than 1 occasion indoors which led me to selling in on ebay and getting a carbon x instead.

Attached: overheat.png (1536x2048, 66K)

This isn't a pic from an iPad Pro.

Apple is reportedly working on their own chips for macbooks, so don't expect anything cheap.

That's because the CPU was always heavily throttling. You could get the same battery life if you locked an AMD APU to 1.2GHz 24/7.

Attached: Craplel_CuckBook_Poo.png (1399x818, 385K)

OP here, I’d be ok in the 300-600 range.

I know, I sold mine. But that pic happened more than once abd not only that but it always felt a little too warm to handle even for things like web browsing.

None of the problems on my carbon x.

>shit that was fixed with a software update
>relevant
Then again, if you unironically shill for AMD mobile CPU's, all hope is lost.

How comes there is zero news about that from anywhere?

The software update made the problem WORSE. Over time the CPU fan itself would heavily thermal throttle and overheat causing even more thermal throttling and overheating on the CPU. They basically traded one ailment for another.

Beats me, what I do know is the overheating and thermal throttling problem on macbooks is SO BAD that it causes the batteries to go off like hand grenades so now you can LITERALLY be placed under arrest and get thrown in jail if you sneak one onboard an aircraft.

Attached: Screen_Shot_20190814_at_19.44.38.png (1013x882, 733K)

Is there any review yet?

For what angry birds? What if I want to play an actual game like Battlefield V? Fuck it, I'll even take Battlefield 3.

Intel Lakefield should be a solid alternative to Qualcomm's solutions. Power, Performance, and Area maybe not as good as Qualcomm's yet; but most importantly it can run x64 programs, and there's no need to emulate x86 stuff.
1. Burst perf should be fine with one Sunny Cove core
2. 64EU Gen11 with 64-bit LPDDR4X is not bad at all, although Qualcomm's graphics should still be faster
3. Chip and motherboard is tiny
4. Standby around 2mW
5. Modem not integrated however
6. Intelaviv pricing

At the very least, it should keep Qualcomm in check should it get enough traction

Attached: intel_lakefield_overview.png (3027x1626, 3.31M)

Do show results.

LMAO

Attached: Screenshot_20190829-115924(1)(1).jpg (692x89, 78K)

It does it with HW acceleration though which take 8-10X higher bitrate to achieve the same human visual quality. That's like 500Mbps or 4GB/minute compared to 50Mbps on the CPU or 0.4GB/minute.

What are you even fucking talking about?
Reliability has absolutely nothing to do with hardware's capabilities, benchmarks, power, etc
fucking idiot
pre-order still up, but our company has 2 of the old books and 3 of the boards in production on dirty field environments in all weather and they haven't had issues

Since you'll be too dense to understand The most reliable phones are the old nokia phones.
Are you going to tell me it isn't reliable because it isn't a smartphone and can't play your angry birds or run your facebook app?
Please leave, redditor normie.

Then it's worthless to 99.99% of Jow Forums, might as well shill that freetard phone with a TFT display and CPU from a $20 wallmart phone they're trying to sell for $700.

Not saying it has no effect at all, but most of the time it's going to run on the Tremont Atom cores. Those are not affected by most of the security vulnerabilities. It's still in-order execution, and has no SMT

What are you trying to even talking about this time? retard.

There have WATERPROOF Military grade phones that don't cost an arm and a leg for a while now.

I have pic related without a case I got for $400 brand new with AT&T.

Attached: 51nVHjmMPvL.jpg (500x496, 64K)

>old models with faulty batteries are relevant when it comes to overheating
Jesus, user. Just stop.

laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/new-ipad-pro-2018-129-inch
anandtech.com/show/13661/the-2018-apple-ipad-pro-11-inch-review/6

Of course but every CPU's has it for a thing or another. Intel lacking HW acceleration for video encoding is still a massive downside for real performance, even if the chip is theoretically faster (as it should be at much higher TDW anyway)

Those aren't military grade and they aren't waterproof.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

lmao you can't be serious, IP68 can't even go in salt water.

There are now 50+ security mitigations because half of all current 30+ mitigations have become LITERALLY useless due to brand spanking new side channel attacks.

When you stack all of these together you get MASSIVE core AND I/O performance penalties and it will only get worse as even more branch prediction vulnerabilities are found. Anyway the place where these huge performance regressions will show up the most is low power x86 chips with SSD performance practically being reverted back to HDD performance at this point.

We REALLY REALLY need to AMD to get their shit together and start releasing low power zen 2 chips already.

ALL macbooks models are banned now. Try going into an airport with one, you'll get tackled to the ground in seconds IF you don't sneak your iBomb onboard the aircraft first.

>ALL macbooks models are banned now.
Sure but that's because airlines are stupid. The actual issue is limited to few old ones.

Can you show actual results from more than Adobe software and geekbench? Something that isn't written on metal and can be actually compared with one another.

Again, the Atom cores are not affected by the side channel vulnerabilites by virtue of being in-order instead of out-of-order

Nope, they're a huge problem on at least 90% of macbooks after 2012, airlines are 100% correct to not take chances.

Basically like user said, the CPUs constantly overheat and thermal throttle. The macbook being made of a flimsy slab of alluminum radiates that heat to the battery. The battery then rapidly degrades in weeks instead of months making it more prone to runaway chemical reactions especially since they're practically put in ziplock bags to maintain the razor thin profile of a mactrash computer.

Pretty much any semi popular app is on Metal, user, so it's hard to avoid.

New Geekbench 5 is worst than GB4
geekbench.com/doc/geekbench5-cpu-workloads.pdf

Most loads cache dependency, Float point just reduce and simplifiques, heavy pro ARM test

So this tests are irrelevant for as long as you don't compare metal to vulkan or dx12

When it comes to give us exact information about the CPU's performance, yes. When it comes to tell us what a better performing device is, not so much.

If you want get something done fast, do you really care how your computer accomplishes it? If you don't have the option on an other computer because the software support is shit, it's an inferior option, even if the CPU is faster on a technical level.

that's probably why they sabotaged cooling on their MacBook pros.
>"Look how hot our previous model with Intel processor runs!"

That's just Apple not giving a shit about TDP. Even pre 2015 models with larger bodies were very liberal when it came to it and went full "what's maximum temperature again?" Generally it worked because constant load on CPU and GPU is not that common.

Recent Intel chips running hotter than before even at more limited settings AND Apple going for smaller bodies didn't help the matters obviously.

>Display 17.3 inch 16:9, 1600 x 900

yikes

>Apple could sell rocks and people would still buy them.
I guess you can do calculations with rocks so they could still market it as a computer.

>So when are we getting a decent laptop out of this architecture?

They're coming

The Samsung Galaxy Book S is coming out this fall running Windows on ARM and powered by Qualcomm's new snapdragon processor for laptops

anandtech.com/show/14726/samsung-announces-alwaysconnected-galaxy-book-s-laptop-with-snapdragon-8cx

Attached: Galaxy-Book-S-Product-Images-678_678x452.jpg (678x422, 28K)

>8 GB of RAM
God fucking damnit.

Attached: Screenshot_20190829-161118(1).jpg (720x1030, 318K)

Not efficient nor does it make any sense on a mobile device, when RAM hungry tasks will rape the CPU first before running into issues with RAM.

More RAM = more multitasking you MONG. This is an abomination. Soon 64GB of RAM will cost around $100 and this piece of obsolete dogshit will still be rocking 8GB of RAM. Pathetic.

>more multitasking you MONG.
And 8GB will be fine as fuck for that. Maybe 16GB max if you're a sperglord with 500 tabs. All the crap uses power and we're talking about mobile devices with limited fucking power.

You ever used a RAM drive as browser cache?

when your entire product line is good because of hardware flaws that enable back doors and then having to fix it all for legal reasons which in turns slows your production and you lose all your advantages because all your performance was underhanded unsafe speed cheats.

Browsers are fast enough with basic ass cache when your SSD isn't dogshit-tier. RAM drive is a meme from the times of spinning disks.

You could just get a new battery at that point. Granted, Pine64 don't sell replacement batteries themselves, but there's apparently a lot of leeway in chucking any battery in there that isn't too big.