Why do you use Linux instead of Windows or Mac?

Why do you use Linux instead of Windows or Mac?

Attached: linux-mac-windows.jpg (983x368, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I use mac

this is bait

Attached: 4qesufoisajkiwoe.gif (498x376, 2.93M)

Windows:
>because I'm not a gaymer
MacOS:
>never tried it, had not a single apple product because I think it's overpriced

It just werks™.

this

because there's no reason for me to use Windows or Mac

no
you don't have to be a gamer to use Windows
Windows and Mac just work more
do you have a job?

yes, I'm a sysadmin
what would I gain from using Windows or Mac, Sanjay?

>Windows and Mac just work more
I agree. They work in the background and send your data to the microsoft/apple.

I used Linux pretty much exclusively (with a stint with FreeBSD) from 2011-2014. Then I installed Windows for muh games. Later on I switched back to using GNU/Linux full time.... but then a few days ago reinstalled Windows and wiped Lunix from my desktop because I was tired of the failings of various desktop environments. With Windows everything Just Werks and you don't have to choose between a bunch of desktops that are all inferior in their own way to DWM on wangblows.

1.it does everything i need it to do
2.has much less bloat
3.has far more customization
Linux isnt for everyone but its 100% for me.

infinitely much more software support.
cope

Because I had a windows computer and then I installed Linux and I don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars to go back to windows

you can get a Windows key on eBay for 5 bucks

I use macOS because it's the best for business and getting things done. I used to use Windows for video games which became useless to me once I quit. I use Linux for server related things and all that. Either Ubuntu or Debian, but I don't care either way.

>b-but it has a lot of software that you'll never need p-please buy windows mr. guy from 4channel it's much better than linux i'm begging you gupta sir will fire me if you don't

>software support
What software is that exactly?

not a retard so I can't be in blissful happyness with operating systems that can't do basic administrative tasks.
If OS X wasn't so ghetto to install on good hardware I'd probably use it or a fork of it

I don't care whether you use Windows or Linux or Mac, I just wonder why so many use Linux here, I think it's less convenient
also, I'm not Indian and you're racist
all kinds of programs, don't act stupid
the Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, all kinds of professional image and video editing tools, all kinds of games etc

>windows and mac just work more
no they don't, lmao. OS X does maybe, kinda. But windows is fucking unusable for anything administrative related. If you want to get real shit done, and fast, linux it is.

>the Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, all kinds of professional image and video editing tools, all kinds of games etc
Sorry but I don't count that as real software because they all have abusive license agreements that make them not worth using. Can you list some real software please?

Actually most (over 90%) of my games work well on linux.

Don't play nonfree games, they are the enemy of your freedom.

i dont get it either
especially when ltsc exists

where can i download the ltsc source code?

Why do you use Windows or Mac instead of Linux?

>Listen to me sir! I am microsoft certified technician, windows has much more software support, just look at my dekstop sir! You won't get Disk cleaner deluxe edition 2019 with your linux PC. I had to pay ₹2,000 for it.

Ill buy what i want,thats MY freedom to do,though i do avoid over paying when i dont need to.

>games
have sex

I would advise against paying for the "privilege" of putting yourself in a pair of handcuffs.

Good advice desu.

Send an email to Microsoft developer program. They'll ask you to sign a nondisclosure and ask you a few questions then give it to you. You also need to be a company.

But I use a mac

kek this must be bait

Faster, free, not spyware, better hardware support ootb, better software pre-installed, better hardware and software support than MacOS.

because I don't want to use mac or windows to order drugs from the darknet every day

>Use windows 10 with limited virtual ubuntu
>Everyone wins
>I win
>I'm veveryone

I do not need all that "software". I don't need Office suite at the same time I would need Adobe suite and video editing tools and all kinds of games.
Because I'm not professionally using those.

Only thing I do "professionally" is web design. I need code editors, workable svg editor, web server stuff, containers etc.

Most of the software I use professionally work better via using Gnu/Linux.
My choices:
Text processor: Languages like HTMl+css, MD and LaTex.
Presentation: SVG art, JS, HTML+css
Picture/photography: I don't do those myself.
Video: -||-
Games: I play muds 30 mins a week. I have gaming console though.

Red Hat Code Ready Studio (Eclipse) is my IDE of choice. Emacs/vim I use a lot. Fedora Kde spin is distro I use.
Things I like:
Filemanager(Dolphin) has tabs, comments and tags. And it is upgradable by plugins.
My programs are mostly up to date using repo's.
Containers for best deployment practice.
No registry editor(s), instead sleek and easy to use(logical) terminal client and text editors.
Best looking GUI there is. Fonts are optimized nicely and more customizing options, as I'm near sighted it is important.

I think that same applications I use today daily will be usable 30 years to future. So skills I acquire today, will not go wasted tomorrow.

There are less people using adobe products or any kind of professional editing tools at home than there are Linux users. By your definition Linux is for 90% of people while 10% should stay on windows, and I agree.

sounds way more complicated than with linux, i thought windows was supposed to be better?
>nondisclosure
why? what could they be hiding?

>windows
shitty amd windows drivers and bloat
>mac
like i want to bother with hackintosh

b-but I use bsd

>windows
An operating system
>mac
A brand of PCs.
>linux
A kernel.

What are you talking about here?

I use any of the three depending on what I need to do. I do prefer using LiGNUx for most of my personal computing though, because it is more flexible.

This denies freedoms 2 and 3 (maybe even 0 and 1, depending on how restrictive the EULA and NDA are.). Therefore, it's propietary software even if you have access to the source code.
Nonfree software is unethical, and you should refuse to use it.
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

>GNU freedoms
Nice Orwellian dictionary. If I'm forced to disclose source code changes it's not a freedom. The only free license is public domain.

Because it actually works unlike Windows and MacOS. Also tiling window managers make me more productive.

>Adobe

Attached: obnoxious_lauging_anime_girl.gif (220x226, 116K)

Free software ≠ GPL
A program can be free software even if it's under a permissive license like the modified BSD or CC0. Those licenses don't require you to disclose the source code, and are still considered free by the FSF.
Software under those licenses would only become propietary if the source code isn't disclosed, as freedom 1 would be violated.
This is why the GPL was created, to prevent free software from becoming propietary and to incentivize liberating your software.
Saying the GPL doesn't give you freedom is like saying free speech isn't free because you can't shoot someone over saying something you disagree with. There MUST be some small restrictions to preserve equal rights.

>infinitely much more
Christ pajeet learn proper English before you shill

>adobe, office, image and video editing
He said he was a sysadmin, when would he need all of that? And linux has similar software for those functionalities to use instead.
>games
go back.

Back to red dito youll have a nicer time there

Attached: 1553773880961.jpg (473x473, 28K)

Nobody forces you to disclose source code even with GPL.

>The only free license is public domain.
This would be true if it was required, but it isn't because all copyright defaults to all rights reserved.

>Nobody forces you to disclose source code even with GPL.
I usually think the term "piracy" sounds silly when applied to copyright infringement. But you deserve to be called that, thieving nigger.

I'm sorry, what are you on about?

Violating the GPL via not including the source code constitutes copyright infringement.

That shouldn't be a problem because you already are distributing the source code, aren't you?

Windows is shit. In fact, it's even shittier than it was when I quit using it, roughly 12 years ago. And MacOS has less software support than Linux.

No

You originally said "Nobody forces you to disclose source code even with GPL.". This would be a violation of the GPL.

Why you use Windows instead of Linux or Mac?

Yes. You still don't have to disclose source code.

You do. Any derivative works based on GPL software must be under the GPL, and that means disclosing your modified source code.

No, you don't have to disclose source code even if it's a derivative work. Stop spreading FUD.

Stop distributing nonfree software.

I am now fully convinced this is bait. This will be my last reply.
In case this isn't bait, you must have thought I was talking about "reciprocal" licenses. Those require you to post your modified version's source on the internet even if you haven't distributed them. That isn't what I meant.
What I meant to say is that the GPL requires you to share the source code when you distribute your binaries.

moneties

It doesn't even require that. Try reading it sometime, this isn't bait.

Do you have any example of this? provide one GPL licenced software without access to source code.

I don't know every piece of GPL software in existence. Sorry.

Why would you need to know every pieace of GPL sotware in existence.

You wrote that it's possible under GPL terms to distribute software, without access to its source. Surely you know even one software which does this?

I just like it my guy

Attached: Cat_piano_1883.jpg (368x200, 40K)

I don't because I use gentoo and I build everything from source anyway, so I have no interest in binaries. But it is perfectly feasible for someone who only wants binaries to use the software.

>But it is perfectly feasible for someone who only wants binaries to use the software.
This was never the argument. Of course you can choose to only download/use binaries, as long as the distributor also makes the source code available.

No, that is wrong. Read the GPL.

It's feasible to use binary software yes. If it's under GPL license you have to provide access to source, that does not mean that you have to distribute source code with every binary.

It means there is available public way to have the source code.

i installed it once and winusb doesnt work

first post = best post

No, it doesn't mean that. Read the GPL.

>racist
fuck off and die pajeet, go poo in a loo you nigger

Yes it means that. Read the GPL.

I have read it. If you're too lazy to read the whole thing here's a link to explain it in brainlet terms: gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

How can you be a distributor of an software if you do not release software dumbass

Who said you had to be a distributor of software?

to make fags like you mad. Works like a charm.

i don't like windows 10

>Who said you had to be a distributor of software?

This was about distributed Microsoft software and their licenses compared to GPL.

It's not my business what you do in your basement.

Because it has the Unix core utilities, the Korn shell, dwm, it's a lot comfier to use, and it's a lot less bloated.

Yes. You are allowed to distribute GPL software, although you don't have to. With the Microsoft software, you aren't allowed to distribute at all.

Because:
1. You can control GNU/Linux in any way easily.
2. GNU/Linux is the best OS to program on.
3. Windows is a telemetry-ridden proprietary piece of shit
4. Macs are made for pretentious, rich douchebags.

I use all three, it's not like your OS is your wife or football team

Attached: 8od9a47zcixz.jpg (1218x499, 37K)

How long have you been homossexual?

these plus Im not gay

Because I'm not a shit eating cuck.

Windows 8/10.