FUCK FIREFOX THREAD

Fireshit is really getting under my skin.

When exactly did they start implementing the new feature where if you're connection is SLIGHTLY slow, and you click for a new tab, and it takes more than 2 seconds to load a NOT-DEAD link, it will just close the new tab, and you have to tediously re-open it again.

When did it start deleting all you history beyond a couple of months, without asking you?

How come when I type in a specific webpage, it becomes a GOOGLE SEARCH. A GOOGLE SEARCH WHEN I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO.

[spoiler]Not that Niggernet Exploder and Jewgle Chrome or even Chromium (open sores botnet meme forced in 2012) are any better.

Attached: Fuck Firefox.png (499x317, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985743
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/cookie-autodelete/
superuser.com/questions/1271147/change-key-bindings-keyboard-shortcuts-in-firefox-quantum
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-translate-in-page/?src=search
blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/
chocolatey.org/packages/icecat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install and use GNU Icecat.

It's 2019 and I still use Firefox.
What now

>How come when I type in a specific webpage, it becomes a GOOGLE SEARCH. A GOOGLE SEARCH WHEN I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO.
Webpages can set fields to use some search engine. You can type whatever in that specific webpage, and it will use the search engine they defined. User your address bar instead of in-page search bars.

Waterfox here, dunno what the fuck is up eith your machine, but you have fucked up in the most basic stuff it seems

>it will just close the new tab
wtf are you doing lol
>When did it start deleting all you history beyond a couple of months, without asking you?
That's supposed to happen, check the settings.
>I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO
lol retard

>That's supposed to happen, check the settings.
Is this bait? I've already looked this up. I don't have anything in the settings to enable limits on the amount of history I store. It just does this on its own, which it never did before for the past DECADE I was using it.

>Waterfox here
Hi, Sven

support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985743

>support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985743
FORUM POSTER:
>the value: borowser:history_expire_days or browser:sessionhistory_max_entries

FORUM OP:
>I changed to number from 50 to 50000, it didn't work, still allowing only one month worth of history browsing. I rebooted the computer, and it still allows only one month worth of browsing.

>Any other suggestions much appreciated!! I need to look up some important info a few months ago. May thanks.

>Modified May 24, 2014 at 4:10:09 PM PDT by Quirky

THIS HAS BEEN UNRESOLVED FOR 5 FUCKING YEARS.

>support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985743
>borowser:history_expire_days or browser:sessionhistory_max_entries
Neither of those values exist in my about:config.

Attached: history_browser.png (1052x696, 86K)

Then file a bug

Attached: 1457262948237.jpg (1920x1080, 506K)

Try creating one of them manually

Who?

On TheDailyShoah, Sven is one of the co-hosts who makes frequent reference to the fact that he uses the Waterfox browser for various tasks.

It's pretty good.

be better at internet window

Oh ok, i just wanted an outdated version of firefox cos it had just jumped into web extensions and the three that i used didnt work

I jumped ship when they added that screenshot feature that blatantly used a unique browser ID.
Pocket was one thing but you had to sign in to use it.
Now it's full blown autism and the "oopsie whoopsie" animal things are just annoying to look at.
Last time I used FF for something it saved my house address without asking.

>I jumped ship when they added that screenshot feature that blatantly used a unique browser ID.
Wait? Have I been doxxing myself with the screenshots I took with that?

Firefox Nightly compiled from source on Gentoo GNU/Linux doesn't have any of your mentioned problems

>it takes more than 2 seconds to load a NOT-DEAD link, it will just close the new tab, and you have to tediously re-open it again
no idea what you're doing, this has never ever happened for me and i occasionally browse the web on a 40 kbps download connection at my moms house (yes, you read right: 40 kbps).
>When did it start deleting all you history beyond a couple of months, without asking you?
what do you mean by 'a couple of months'? my oldest history entry is from october last year, where i manually cleared the history as i do every year on my birthday. see pic (top)
>A GOOGLE SEARCH WHEN I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO.
i don't have this issue and i never had, it works perfectly fine for me with these settings (pic mid). either your settings are incorrect or you have adware or some shit.

you can also just add a keyword search for duckduckgo if setting up the browser correctly is too difficult for you (pic bottom)

i would recommend restarting from scratch, because whatever the fuck you did with your setup is wrong. classic ID-10T error
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

all in all this is an absolutely awful thread with issues i'd expect to see on my grandma's facebook page and not on a tech imageboard.

Attached: 2019-08-29_19_11_28.png (1220x1782, 280K)

I use firefox esr and it's completely broken
the address bar doesn't accept the enter key and I have to click the arrow like a dumbass

>In early 1998, Eich co-founded the Mozilla project with Jamie Zawinski and others, creating the mozilla.org website
>On March 24, 2014, Mozilla promoted Brendan Eich to the role of CEO. This led to boycotts and protests from the LGBT community and its supporters, as Eich previously donated US$1,000[25] of his own money in 2008 in support of California's Proposition 8, a California ballot proposition and state constitutional amendment in opposition to same-sex marriage
>Eich is the CEO of Brave Software
Mozilla has been pozzed quite some time ago, user

Good thing they got rid of that retard before he turned Firefox into Brave

probably not, Jow Forums strips metadata on images. And the unique id can probably only be used by mozilla employees if you upload the screenshot to their service.

>Jow Forums strips metadata on images
Since when? Haven't there been several lolcows who doxxed themselves with metadata on the cameras they were using?

>When exactly did they start implementing the new feature where if you're connection is SLIGHTLY slow, and you click for a new tab, and it takes more than 2 seconds to load a NOT-DEAD link, it will just close the new tab, and you have to tediously re-open it again.
never had that happen to me even on mobile connection
are you using dialup or some shit?
why would you keep history for longer?
>How come when I type in a specific webpage, it becomes a GOOGLE SEARCH. A GOOGLE SEARCH WHEN I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO.
sounds like a webpage issue rather than firefox issue

>why would you keep history for longer?
Why the fuck not?

>since when
since the lolcows doxxed themselves

Jow Forums is protecting lolcows now?

so you don't have to load a huge ass SQL database of shitty websites you've visited every time?

yes
welcome to r/Jow Forums

>so you don't have to load a huge ass SQL database of shitty websites you've visited every time?
Fugg!!! My computer is running low on space. Better delete entries off of a literal fucking text document.

yeah, that's why big databases are hosted on raspberry pi powered servers
it's literal fucking text document after all

When my browser stores history, what is it storing besides.
>WEBSITE NAME : www.website.com/specific_page.html ; MM/DD/YYYY
And how is that too complicated for a text file?

Presumably "big databases" are storing a lot more than one user's browser history. I understand emptying a temp folder of unused images and downloads or something.

Nice b8, though, fireshill.

Attached: asuka looks at you annoyed - 1567025805630.jpg (800x800, 103K)

Firefox is less than perfect, but what are the alternatives?

firefox, umatrix, ghacks user.js, faglord theme
youre welcome

>I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO
Hahaha. Option discarded.

>it saved my house address without asking
complete and utter retard why would you hand over your address to trannyzilla?
agree with the rest though

If you're on Linux running the Quantum engine i can related a bit about stability. I once witnessed the whole Firefox being deleted after a reboot. Just crazy. Bizarrely it works very well on OSX.

everywhere but /p/ strips the metadata after uploading
if you keep location data on an image's exif the cia/moot will still have it, but not every user on the site

>download firefox
>open youtube
>firefox crashes

firefox is for low iq spiteful cringe larpers

>download firefox
>open youtube
>works well

firefox is for people who need shit that works well

works on my machines

FF wishlist.

> Non account locked bookmark manager as default. Be it local/system or cloud.

> Settings in settings (general/advanced/all). No settings list. CLI settings for settings that are too hard to be public if needed.

> More usable history plugin. Some sites not going to history at all, highlight some sites in history, some sites would be tabbed.

> Customizable "FF repos". For games etc. Let me decide where I can download my extensions.

I know I'm free to contribute. Maybe someday I will.

head on over to r/firefox please theyll love you

Never had any of this shit happen to me. History goes back to over 6 months too.

Nice to have a Mozilla employee do some damage control on here

stating facts is damage control?
if only i got paid for calling out the op on being an absolute retard.

>stating facts is damage control
I don't think you're going to like Jow Forums very much

if i didn't like Jow Forums i wouldn't still be here after over a decade. what's your point

Attached: summer g.png (1000x1000, 988K)

>scrapes all your information the moment you install it

Attached: firefox fresh install.jpg (914x724, 467K)

I agree entirely. New tabs sometime glitch and the stubs spawn awkwardly, the bookmarking system is garbage, the history can't be searched or filtered, clearing cookies takes too many steps, the extension store is too limited, the start page has crap that you can't remove, key bindings can't be remapped, and worst of all Google Translate extension doesn't work "in place"

I seriously hate this browser. I thought free software was mean to be customizable and built by listening to users. From the looks of it Mozilla keeps developing with blindfolds on.

I gave up a while ago and installed chromium

dont know what you mean
kinda
pic related
yes
no
1. you can remove it
2. you can set it to your own html
3. you can set it to be blank
fucking hate that 100%
dont know
>From the looks of it Mozilla keeps developing with blindfolds on.
mozilla are trannies and only want google search engine money, why would they make a good browser

Attached: autismo.png (184x40, 2K)

>almost complete lack of greentext.
>the post is a puzzle piece, where you connect his answers to specific sentences or clauses in the previous post.
What the fuck do your numbers mean?
What the fuck are you even saying?

dont know what you mean
kinda
pic related
yes
no
1. you can remove it
2. you can set it to your own html
3. you can set it to be blank
fucking hate that 100%
dont know
>What the fuck are you even saying?
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like

Attached: alita hugs pepe .jpg (1370x2606, 798K)

>New tabs sometime glitch and the stubs spawn awkwardly
works on my machine, file a bug report
>the history can't be searched or filtered
>the start page has crap that you can't remove
these two statements are 100% incorrect, you didn't even spend a minute looking through the settings.

>clearing cookies takes too many steps
addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/cookie-autodelete/
>key bindings can't be remapped
superuser.com/questions/1271147/change-key-bindings-keyboard-shortcuts-in-firefox-quantum

>worst of all Google Translate extension doesn't work "in place"
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-translate-in-page/?src=search

in the end the only legit point you made in your post is your subjective opinion of the bookmark system.

>I thought free software was mean to be customizable
unless you're talking about firefox forks, i don't know of any browser that is more customizable than firefox. out of the less obscure choices the only browser that comes close is vivaldi.

but i'm curious, which browser are you currently using? i'm guessing either some custom webkit hack or whatever chrom* fork is currently the most popular with morons.

>just download these extensions that do what the browser should out of the box
>use quantum instead of stable, it's better!
>just edit this config file by hand
Usability is a feature not an afterthought.

what's wrong with addons? sure, mozilla could add a gajillion features to the browser out of the box, but what is the point of spending resources and dev time on that when only 1% of the users will ever use those features? how is that in any way better than giving the option to enable them with 3 clicks for users that actually need or want those specific features). there's arguably enough bloat in any popular browser as it is, why add more?
>use quantum instead of stable
quantum IS the current stable channel, as well as the beta/dev/nightly channels, you illiterate idiot.
blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/

>>just edit this config file by hand
i know having the option to do anything you want with the software you're using is a confusing concept to you, but the ability to do just that is a plus. the same logic i used for the addons can be applied here, why waste time making a fancy gui with big glowing buttons to change browser buttons when the only people that would need such an interface are the ones that don't even know there are keyboard shortcuts in the first place? would you prefer not having the option at all? what the fuck are you doing on a tech imageboard

which browser are you using? it must be truly exceptional!

gr8 b8 m8. I r8 you an 8/8

not an argument, try again

Stef, I already tried getting through to you when I said "Usability is a feature not an afterthought."
Clearly I can not get through to you, so I'm not going to try.

you still haven't mentioned your preferred browser. why is that

Obviously it WAS firefox, hence the thread.
Firefox is proving to be shitty, and I will need to find a new one.
Is that what you wanted to hear?

I use opera

what i wanted to hear was the apparently superior alternative to firefox you would recommend for people that are sick of firefox for whatever reason.
as i mentioned previously the only not-so-obscure alternative would be vivaldi, which has objective performance issues and offers less freedom than firefox and its forks.

you see, you bitch and whine about a software when the (non-fork) alternatives are worse in almost every aspect you were complaining about in the first place. you are an absolute mastermind

Don't pretend that adding a nicer interface for clearing cookies or changing key maps is "a huge waste of resources" when it's a minor feature. These are basic things that should have "giant glowing buttons" to use.

I'm not and I use lynx. Didn't expect that did you? A text based browser?! Wow, guess I am superior to you.

>go to inactive tab I haven't visited in over an hour
>hangs on loading spinner
>then causes PC to hang
>2 minuites later it unfreezes
Man I'm a huge FF cuck but seriously this shit is getting worse and worse

Attached: 1566837723758.png (340x318, 110K)

>what i wanted to hear was the apparently superior alternative to firefox you would recommend for people that are sick of firefox for whatever reason.
Tough shit.
>you see, you bitch and whine about living in a pile of dry corroded shit but the whole world outside is just more shit when the liquid (non-dry) fecal alternatives are worse in almost every aspect you were complaining about in the first place. you are an absolute mastermind
Hey! Maybe my problem is that I don't want to live in a world of shit. Did you consider that?

>These are basic things that should have "giant glowing buttons" to use.
>I use lynx

Attached: mastermind2.jpg (256x192, 13K)

anyone else use vivaldi

reminder that these threads and all the fabricated hate are being posted by br*ve shills
they want a google/blink dominated world where their skin has a chance
fucking scam of a browser (skin)

r/woosh
I guess using FF now means you can't comprehend sarcasm.

>>key bindings can't be remapped
>superuser.com/questions/1271147/change-key-bindings-keyboard-shortcuts-in-firefox-quantum
You can't be serious, if you suggest editing binary or compiling your own version. It's true that Firefx seriously sucks in this regard. Afaik other browsers are same in this regard though.

fpbp

you're moving the goalpost. the claim was that keyboard shortcuts could not be altered in firefox, which is incorrect. whether or not it's convenient is irrelevant to the argument.

>install program with telemetry
>it automatically sends back basic information on your machine when run
>this is somehow surprising
I don't like telemetry, but I got news for you if this is somehow groundbreaking.

but it's 2019 now

Give us an up to date version for windows or shut the fuck up faggot.

github.com/muslayev/icecat-win64/releases
Latest release was 7 days ago

There are no alternatives, every browser is fucked in some way or too small to compete with Google and NotGoogle

See:
And: chocolatey.org/packages/icecat

p.s:
>using windows
>expecting privacy
you'd be better off in that regard on a mac, no joke.

Are you on Windows?
Firefox is fast as fuck and just werks for me on Linux, but shits the bed real bad on Windows (only addons are greasemonkey and ublock origin on both platforms)

Is using Pale Moon too terrible?
Tab Mix Plus working is alluring.

I just found out that Firefox is remaking the Android version of their browser, they currently have a beta called Firefox Preview
It's pretty alright; it's significantly faster than the regular Firefox, and speed was literally the only thing wrong with it before so this looks promising.

werks on my machine

>IBM Plex Mono
Good choice
>Hating on
I thought you'd be better than that. Don't you know all browsers suck? It's just Firefox sucks the least.

do you use windows by any chance

2018?

grow up, freako

Can you retards stop doing this? You don't understand what Icecat is if you're recommending to someone that dislikes firefox.

Lul. Firefox development is an absolute shitshow and filing bugs is a waste of time. Considering that bugs like the extension CSP header one get shoved under the rug there's no way they're going to give a fuck about this one, especially since it has existed for 5 years already.

You know, virtually all of the things he's complaining about being on the backburner are implemented right now in Firefox.

I noticed there was this bug where, when opening up a new tab, it would hang, and you needed to close the tab and open up a new one until it worked.
I guess some pajeet got assigned to fixing this and instead just did a check if it loaded in 2 seconds and if it didn't close and open the tab

>can't into userprefs
too bad, kys user.

No extension support

>you're
And that's where my reading stopped

>How come when I type in a specific webpage, it becomes a GOOGLE SEARCH. A GOOGLE SEARCH WHEN I SET MY SEARCH ENGINE TO DUCKDUCKGO
you're basically a computer illetterate

How does one change keybindings on firefox?