/fglt/ - Friendly Gnu/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread: Install Trisquel Edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command%

-h/--help

$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Ubuntu declared "best" for "newbs" aka the population of Jow Forums
itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/

previous thread:

Attached: trisquel.png (485x480, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/chinese-company-installed-secret-backdoor-on-hundreds-of-thousands-of-phones/
youtube.com/watch?v=0UH5qUhgUS8&feature=youtu.be
mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
pastebin.com/3gsK2ESX
reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/cv8jwr/weekly_techsupport_thread_for_august_25_2019_ask/eykqv2q?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
getglimpse.app/about/
github.com/iXit/wine-nine-standalone
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for nix

Attached: 2019-08-29-18:19:20-403x256.png (403x256, 40K)

please halp
so I got VBox image of NixOS
I tried to install mc with nix-env --install mc
I get GC Warning: failed to expand heap by 16...(16 KB)
What could go wrong? I definitely did nothing to configs.

sounds like not enough memory for the VM

Considering the following about Deepin:
- It comes with some proprietary software than can be removed (WPS Office)
- Analytics code from the App Store was recently removed, and the App Store itself can be removed with apt
- Own code is GPL'd
- Requesting proof that Deepin is spying always results in "reee China"
Are the claims that Deepin is spyware FUD or shitposting?

I'm a Debian + KDEfag, trying Deepin on a spare PC. The desktop is very good looking and the distro seems to be fully featured. It's something I would recommend to the same people I would recommend Ubuntu.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20190829162446.png (1440x900, 1.04M)

>- Requesting proof that Deepin is spying always results in "reee China"
>Are the claims that Deepin is spyware FUD or shitposting?
The two are correlated. They can always be compelled to poison an update package with a Chinese backdoor. Don't trust binaries from China.

Still FUD. The same situation could happen from any country, the same as any operating system could update itself to introduce malware.

It's not FUD because they've done it to other software products. Your argument is basically "well THIS leopard hasn't bitten anyone yet!"

Such as? I would like to read more about it.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/chinese-company-installed-secret-backdoor-on-hundreds-of-thousands-of-phones/

>There is a slight difference between, say, a Pixel and a $50 Amazon subsidized Blu.
>One sends your data to Shanghai and the other sends your data to Mountain View. Are there other differences?
Nice. I forgot about that one. Sadly all phones are to be untrusted. A PC Linux distro would make it easier to detect if it happened.

Something has gone wrong with my laptop's audio. It seems to have just began for no reason at all.

>been on Mint a few weeks, getting accustomed to it
>today I suspended my laptop and put it in my bag
>a few hours later I take it out and somehow the battery died even though it was suspended
>"Huh that's annoying but whatever"
>upon restarting, audio from both streamed YouTube and my local music player are hiccuping and skipping

I didn't touch anything, I didn't change anything. It was working perfectly fine earlier. Mfw.

Attached: 1484154787285.jpg (599x563, 50K)

Make the modified settings from arch's pulseaudio wiki and reboot

Huh so apparently Gimp is getting forked to Glimpse now. When a project gets forked how typical is it for the original one to die?

>pulseaudio

Bitch about it on the mailing list for 2 years and then give up cause the fork is more popular because of the reasons it forked in the first place

sounds this way to me. an addenda is that nixos can use a LOT of memory during the build process. installing a full desktop set of packages from nothing i have bottomed out on 8GBs before comfortably. if you plan to install or especially compile any large derivations i suggest allocating a lot of swap. i have 10GB on my 4GB RAM laptop and that has served me quite well.

help brainlet out
for i in $(ls -A $HOME | grep ^\\. | sed 's/^/\/home\/myself\//g' ) ; do
cp -ru "$i" /path/to/hdd &2> /dev/null;
done;

it fails on files with spaces, putting the whole "(ls..)" in quotes juts makes cp assume a one long filename compiled from names of every dotfile\directory

youtube.com/watch?v=0UH5qUhgUS8&feature=youtu.be

Why do folks listen to this dude? He's nothing but click-bait articles and trying to sound smarter than he is.

fuck gnu

mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs

Because people like you help to spread his stuff all around.

based

Should I bother trying to patch the Kernel or wait till 5.3 for the AMD+Realtek Audio fix?
Pretty casual Linux user here. Distro is Ubuntu.

How do I change my default wireless device (using networkd)? My laptop's internal wireless adapter doesn't work anymore, so I use a USB wifi adapter, but the auto-connect keeps using my broken internal wifi, and I have to manually change it each time I wake my laptop up from sleep.

wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

help

why do all of my sound output devices have the left and right channels switched?

Been trying to get Ubuntu running in a VM and eating shit for the last two days. Finally got into the desktop, shut down the VM, and now it just hangs on restart. Tried an older version to see if it would run a little better and can't get bast the boot screen. I am frustrated on a visceral level. I'm using an old laptop but I thought this would be a lot easier.

The retards at Klown Desktop Environment broke the plasma integration add on for Firefox.

Your PC is upside down.

Your PC is upside down.

>VM on an old laptop
Imagine being this dumb.

Browser question. I've been using Ubuntu 18 for two weeks now in a VM. Firefox has crashed on me and I couldn't read any webpage anymore, so I installed chromium. However when I multi tab I sometimes will have a right click yield just a black box. I googled around and i see people mention a patch allowing software acceleration but that is above my technical understanding.

Any other browser you recommend? Why do I get that black box?

>hardware acceleration
>in a VM
This generally doesn't work. Try a live session on bare metal.

Intermediate user here. Arch has a hang during boot that I can't figure out, no issues previously on Debian Sid or Fedora. Systemd-analyze shows nothing holding up boot (reports ~12 second boot time), no related errors in logs. Sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes to boot, however pushing shift a few times seems to bypass this and I can have my display launcher up in under 15 seconds. What the fuck is going on?

going to need more information
are you using quiet boot?
what is logged in dmesg during this time?

There isn't enough information provided to support what Im going to say but I've heard of this happening on systems without enough entropy
do you have a early entropy collector running? I usually use haveged to solve issues with early entropy generation.

Disabled quiet boot for the time being, hangs at a black screen with an underline cursor after displaying the graphical interface is done loading. here's my dmesg: pastebin.com/3gsK2ESX
and this line is a little suspicious [ 83.097212] random: crng init done
that's what it's looking like. i'll look more into haveged.

Update: installing haveged and enabling the service have fixed the issue. I'm curious if this an arch kernel issue, or a mainline kernel issue where other distros implemented similar fixes ootb? Thanks for the help, anons.

that's not really arch's or your fault
it's just that certain cryptographic components will refuse to run without sufficient random numbers (entropy)
while /dev/urandom gives an infinite supply of pseudo-random numbers, which is fine for a lot of uses, when it comes to important security things, things will get numbers from /dev/random instead, which is a pool of "real" random numbers, which is more scarce, things like keyboard/mouse input generates entropy, so this problem is rarely encountered on desktop systems

you'll notice in dmesg it's immediately followed up with wifi authentication
so it would appear your boot depends on something which depends on the network to be up, but the network couldn't authenticate securely due to lack of kernel entropy at that point

It's strange i didn't have the same issue with the same hardware last year when I last ran arch, but luckily it was an easy fix.
That makes sense, probably NetworkManager-wait-onlinefor some auto mounts set up via samba.

How do I freeify my Ubuntu install?

The Trisquel logo looks like a fidget spinner

intermediate linux user here.
I was leaving my house yesterday running my laptop and for whatever reason had a similar issue where one of my VMs was trying to call a server and it caused a boot problem, I hard shut down the laptop and booted it again and everything was fine.
I did see though in verbose mode that it said it was running stop jobs, maybe something similar is happening with him and he just hasn't seen it cause of the silent boot

trying to shutdown with dead network mounts can in some cases hang forever
be sure to include timeouts when mounting remote filesystems
the only time you want no timeout on a remote filesystem is if you're booting from it (so timing out makes no sense, since you can't resume without it)

help brainlet out
for i in $(ls -A $HOME | grep ^\\. | sed 's/^/\/home\/myself\//g' ) ; do
cp -ru "$i" /path/to/hdd &2> /dev/null;
done;

it fails on files with spaces, putting the whole "(ls..)" in quotes juts makes cp assume a one long filename compiled from names of every dotfile\directory

So I have almost 2years xp in sysadmin but I have no certs. Should I start with comptia gnu/linux + or other shit?

So I have almost 2years xp in sysadmin but I have no certs. Should I start with comptia gnu/linux + or other shit?

Just installed Manjaro, and its all good but is there anything any of you would recommend I do?

Install arch instead.

A friend asked me to make a Win10 USB for him, which I'd do gladly, but since I've been using Linux exclusively for a year now, I don't dual boot anymore and making a stick that works seems to be tougher than I thought in Linux.

I tried etcher and it failed during the last 5%.

I'm looking for a scientific data analysis/graphing software which is GNU/Linux compatible.
Something similar to Origin Pro as that's what I had typically used for work previously.
Any suggestions?

Give me one good reason to not just go with Ubuntu

Fidget spinners before fidget spinners were cool, basically.

lol nice fidget spinner thread

Ok so I tried to do it manually, but when I extract the Win10.iso all its contents are read only so I can't copy them to the USB stick.
And when I try to change read only, then it gives me an error that it can't be changed. How do I fix this?

Nevermind i'm a retard

Install Pop!GNU, the GNU OS from System76

Python+numpy+pandas+scipy+statsmodel+matplotlib is all you need.
Or PSPP/Octave seems likea good choice.

shitposting aside
why would i use arch and how much time a day/week would i waste maintaining/repairing it?
t. someone who doesn't have a lot of time to tweak things

Where can I ask for help regarding troubleshooting vidya, specifically CSGO?

Why did CentOS make sqlite and python from 2013 os requirements when even if you make an altinstall of python 3 it will try to import the standard os sqlite, even if you made an altinstall and put it in your bash profile?

wats the issue
just google any wine troubleshoot guide, likely someone already solved your issue

it it pronounced "system dee" or "system'd"?

Attached: 1558355406607.jpg (741x568, 73K)

If you don't have a reason to switch, don't. If you just want to try it, try it in VM first.

cyst med

wine? isn't csgo native?

yes

what would be the reason to switch?
is it really as time consuming as i hear?

CSGO is native
Anyways I posted the long question on leddit linux_gaming, seemed the appropriate place to ask.
Here's the link if anyone cares
reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/cv8jwr/weekly_techsupport_thread_for_august_25_2019_ask/eykqv2q?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
The short story is, csgo would launch however the menu would be INCREDIBLY slow, appearing frozen. I did some github digging whilst on the shitter with my phone and noticed people deleting videos from the panorama folder to help with stutter.

Sooo I made my way into steamapps/common/csgo/csgo/panorama/videos and deleted everything in there, removing the video background from the main menu

& that fixed the game for me

sounds like a weird game bug, rather than anything to do with your os

What is a good backup tool for linux?

borg

rdiffbackup

You want to tell other people that you use arch. And I think using arch is fun and educational in itself. In the end, after you're done with all the config, it's more or less the same with other distros.
From the years I used it, not really. Most problems can be fixed by reading the wiki, the very rest of the problem may take days for searching for resolution or, if you give up, you end up with reinstalling it again.

dd

now tell me why someone would pick an other distro than ...ubuntu

they don't like canonical
they don't like some of canonical's questionable decisions
they don't like snaps
they don't like apt
they don't want to use a distro that makes non-free software available
they want to post their desktops on Jow Forums and think using *buntu makes them a nub

It's idiotic imo
Either way the GNU/Linux performance in my case is vastly shittier than Windows, on average 20 FPS shittier
And 20FPS makes a big difference on an underpowered machine when the lowest framerate drops to the 13FPS range

Speaking of which, got any performance boosting tips or is this just the life of the GNU/Linux gamer?

>Speaking of which, got any performance boosting tips
upgrade your shitty rig

>dips to 13fps in csgo
jesus, what are you sporting?

install windows

I look forward to that one day
I could still play it at a very casual level on Windows, enough to have fun but I wouldnt dream of touching competitive.
I just heard stories about it actually performing better on GNU/Linux, but I suppose that's something that happens when you're already spitting out 200+ FPS

Attached: neofetch.png (724x463, 424K)

>windows
Absolutely disgusting.

Attached: 1560866092728.jpg (3543x2362, 2.15M)

1st gen i3 with a 7370, amazin
thats 2gb+4gb memory? likely the game can choke on the unpaired part of the memory. how hard would it be to get a proper 8gb of memory?

Yep, 2+4
Came stock with 2+1 & I haven't noticed much of a difference after the update in any vidya.
Only place where it really made a positive difference was video and photo editing.

I dunno about buying more memory though, it would cost 23€ which isn't much, so perhaps.
I've been looking for compatible CPU upgrades but no local store actually seems to hold any

Last time I bought the RAM I ordered via phone from a store in my country, dumbshit thought I needed DDR3L RAM even thought I told him which processor I had. Obviously it wouldn't work so I called in, asked what the fuck & had to quote shit from intel ark. Had to drive there in person and prove it to him. Fucking retards in PC stores I swear.

Basically if I end up finding a proper CPU upgrade I'll grab some more RAM with it.
And it's a 6370m soo essentially a 5470.

No fun features from GCN like Vulkan support or decent enough OpenCL. Can't even run DaVinci resolve

We have come full circle
“If English is not your first language, then you may not have realised that the word “gimp” is problematic. In some countries it is considered a slur against disabled people and a playground insult directed at unpopular children. It can also be linked to certain “after dark” activities performed by consenting adults.”

~getglimpse.app/about/

>It can also be linked to certain “after dark” activities performed by consenting adults.

I think I'm too young to know what that implies
fr though, is it some degenerate furry shit or what

>getglimpse.app
sounds like the domain for some electron ""app""

don't use code tags for quotes

>If English is not your first language
Or if you're just a regular human being and you haven't seen Pulp Fiction. I'm glad I don't live in the fantasy world they do where children on the playground call each other gimp, let alone know that it means someone who is crippled.
Green Is My Pepper forever.

delete this and use meme arrows
your code tags fucked the page you goddamn nub

This thread needs to be shut down

2.Tech support threads should be posted on /wsr/.

I got a bunch of spare parts and I got the bright idea that I'd turn it into a server. Is there a GUI/desktop environment that you guys recommend for Ubuntu Server?

Attached: 20180615_125435.jpg (445x235, 85K)

Where is the kernel image located when using lz4 compression? I don't see a bzImage file so I assume it's named differently.

Could someone explain what Gallium Nine is to a retard?
I'm confused in the sense of do I have it; is it good; should I get it; can I get proton to play with it

Cringe

system dee because d stands for daemon

It is probably this:
github.com/iXit/wine-nine-standalone