What is Jow Forumsternet?

What is Jow Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
Jow Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, totally disconnected from the clearnet.
It will be a combination of DIY meshnets on a city wide basis, and a platform for interconnecting these city wide meshnets over p2p openvpn bridges and high powered wireless dishes for City to City relays.
The Inter-Meshnet part of the project will allow any existing DIY meshnets to join our network by adding a bridge node or a city to city relay.
The short term goal is to have a few anons set up their own local meshnet and link them together using the bridges as a proof of concept.
A long term goal is gain a large enough user density that we can disable the brige nodes and have our own decentralized network idependent of the internet.
>tl;dr we're gonna connect city meshes through the internet until we have enough people to disconnect from the internet entirely

Talk about:
>Finding friends to link with
>Linking meshes over VPN
>Decentralization/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications
Please try to keep names/logos to a minimum.

Links:
>Map (for finding all your Jow Forumsternet pals and establishing nodes): DEAD, please help setting a new one up
>IRC (contains news, it's the best way to talk to the dev): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet (nonactive)
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today (not up to date, please contribute)
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.gternet.me
>Previous threads: qt.catbox.moe/4c6fb8
>Pastebin: qt.catbox.moe/638937

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this.

Attached: kali_gternet_mascot.gif (1280x1024, 109K)

I wish you the best, but I won't be holding my breath

I'm fine with that, it's your choice to contribute

Also thanks to lainchan an for the mascot

Very nice, I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't know much about how to do this
I might still do research on my own and try to do it later but I'm bookmarking this

There's like a million of these projects but they're all dead. It's a cool idea but what ends up happening is that someone makes a reddit clone that a few dozen people use for a while and then it all dies.

Attached: 1654f0ecf67fc1582030625d59530a44.png (732x484, 169K)

Stuff we need for Jow Forumsternet
>dynamic IPs (picked randomly)
>phone application
>openwrt and librecmc support on routers, so that it can connected via routers
>map on regular internet, preferably using Openstreetmaps
>working so it works on hardware level (for example Wi-Fi cards)
>security audits
Stuff you can do
>make available the intranet in your area (you can do this with a raspberry pi)
>spread the word (friends, neighbors, family, online strangers)
Send more ideas in the thread for what and how to contribute to the project

Take your existing botnet and use it to host your meshnet.

They fail because it's not plug and play, either requiring knowledge on how to use the stuff, dedicated hardware, or both
What this project needs is an easy way to connect to the network.
And it has to coexist with the normal internet on the user's machine.
If it's too niche it will fail for sure.

Exactly and there has to be more content there to attract users. A reddit clone is a good start I guess but it's not enough to keep people interested. There has to be a focus on more than the technical stuff. Also what has kept me from even trying most of these is that they automatically load images and there's shit I just don't want to see.

Why do I need to put the already existing internet botnet in my intranet?

So if you're serious about this project, start thinking about some sites that people actually want to use and you can't find on clearnet.

Just memeing but wouldn't more devices mean more access points and/or a bigger mesh?

Oh it's not that hard actually.
Once you create a chan, you let people create their own board, and you tell them there is no limits, communities will form on their own (if there is enough people of course)
Also there should absolutely be a new browser for this network. Users should be able to customize exactly what they want and don't want, because let's be honest there is gonna be a lot of cp and stuff like that.
When you blacklist content or websites, the browser needs to properly erase stuff from the hard drive.
And I mean multiple pass data destruction.
Or better cache management, but anyway that's something current browser do NOT do, and that is absolutely necessary for this project.

Technically more nodes, but that's easy since you can get one with a raspberry pi at minimum.

Do you really think board culture is popular enough these days? Or maybe you figure that it will branch out from there.

I 100% agree with the customizable browser though.

Board or forum, whatever
I didn't say it needed to be too normiefriendly either, just more accessible.
Even non normies will not use such a project if it's too troublesome to use.
Chans are fine for this kind of use, alternative networks are niche anyway, things like zeronet are already hard enough to get people into, so a complete and separate network really needs to be plug and play.
And obviously, once it starts being too popular, the gov will of course intervene
Unrelated, but I also wonder how you would connect it across continents, but that's another issue

>And obviously, once it starts being too popular, the gov will of course intervene
Probably won't work. Can't go after the idea since it doesn't support illegal activities.
>Unrelated, but I also wonder how you would connect it across continents, but that's another issue
Satellite or cable, but only if this gets big. For now we will have Jow Forums Europe, Jow Forums Americas, and so on.

Shoot me up with some questions

>OpenVPN bridges
I'd say Wireguard once that hits 1.0. It's faster and a better conceptual fit. I've got a centrally located colo I could use as a bridge/router.

Planning to make it standalone so that it doesn't depend on OpenVPN or any other VPN client

I kinda asked earlier, but how do you plan to ease people into using Jow Forumsnet in the future?
Cohabitation between normal internet and your connection from the meshed network is essential in my opinion, but i didn't quite figure out how to do it in a realistic manner
For nor anyway, what kind of hardware and software are you planning to use for interconnecting users? I assume pi using an os like openWRT?
What routing protocol did you choose? And are you still going to use TCP/IP in the long run? Or do you plan on creating your own protocols for this project

reminder this is completely pointless and will never take off.

Its probably the same faggot that was spamming that other honeypot p2p shit.

Just use freenet you gigantic fucking faggot.

kek

>I kinda asked earlier, but how do you plan to ease people into using Jow Forumsnet in the future?
Making it more available to the public and making the installation easier (for example: included support in Wi-Fi drivers) and establish some normal sites there that many people use
>Cohabitation between normal internet and your connection from the meshed network is essential in my opinion, but i didn't quite figure out how to do it in a realistic manner
Usually the nodes get banned from regular internet servers and become pointless. That's why Jow Forumsternet is its own thing, so it offer freedom. However, if you absolutely need to then forward your packets through a VPN tunnel to the regular internet with a exit node.
>For nor anyway, what kind of hardware and software are you planning to use for interconnecting users? I assume pi using an os like openWRT?
Probably, small, cheap, and easy to set up and sell. However, we might be able to make it work in Wi-Fi routers using openWRT or libreCMC. Right now it can be used in debian to create nodes.
>What routing protocol did you choose? And are you still going to use TCP/IP in the long run? Or do you plan on creating your own protocols for this project
The B.A.T.M.A.N routing procedure made by freifunk is currently being used. However, the (future, project is trying to rejuvenated) developers will make there own if necessary, to preserve values they think Jow Forumsternet should have.

t. can't read

How do you prevent abuse of network resources?

Wireguard is kernel level, at least on Linux, so you'll be hard pressed to match that for performance. Cryptography and VPNs are really difficult problems, so whether OpenVPN or Wireguard you'll want to be leaning on somebody else's cryptography. Cryptography is HARD to get right.

That's the website owner's problem. If you are talking about infrastructure, nodes just deliver the message.

tfw I can't join because I live in rural nowhere

That's why the Internet always wins, in the long run. You'll be able to get 1Gbps satellite Internet soon.

>The B.A.T.M.A.N routing procedure
Yeah that's what I was thinking
Any reason for using it over something like olsr?

No one lives near you?

I have knowledge of p2p networks (in C) do you think this may be useful?

It can be useful, but it is decentralized, not distributed.