Chromebook

Is there any reason at all to even consider buying a Chromebook?

>Shit specs
>Shit OS
>Shit software availability
>Literal botnet

Am I missing something here?

Attached: Screenshot_20190829-131839.png (720x1500, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QB9puwi2qTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cheap.

>cheap

You can buy used laptops for that price. You can find new non-chromebook laptops at 200$. There's a fuck ton of chromebooks that are over twice as expensive as OP's example.

Isn't their battery life outstanding?

they're pretty light too. i would probably go on ebay for a laptop instead however

you can instantly format and reset the OS i think which is extremely based.

i plan on doing windows with reboot restore RX though

apparently you can dual run linux with chromeos
youtube.com/watch?v=QB9puwi2qTo

I'll buy desktops and components used no problem. But buying a used laptop is disgusting and cringe.

if it's an x86 that's cool but arm linux is not incredible

>>Shit specs
Because being a sub 10GB fork of Gentoo, ChromeOS doesn't need much hardware
>>Shit OS
subjective. It suits needs if you know what you want. If you're looking for some encoding/compiling/VM machine, Chromebook isn't for you.
>>Shit software availability
Literally couldn't be more wrong. Comes with the ability to run Android apps natively straight from the play store. Also offer seamless integration and Android capability.
>>Literal botnet
As are all Google products. It's like complaining the alcohol gets you drunk. You know what you're getting.

Chromebook and ChromeOS work extremely well and there isn't a single competitor out there that can match Chromebooks in screen quality and battery life for the price. There's a reason Chrome devices are taking over schools and colleges alike.

budget for a chromebook with decent spec is blown out of proportion. Pc equivalent is usually 200$ cheaper

and that's the problem. Why are you buying a specced chromebook in the first place? You're not doing anything particularly hardcore on a fucking Chromebook. Absolute top tier you should ever spend on a Chromebook is $500. And that's like tippy top tier.

If the Nexdock 2 works out it'll make them obsolete.
>connect Android 10+ phone or Raspberry Pi to HDMI in port
>receive 1080p laptop with actual local computing ability, especially if Termux is installed
>$200
I backed the thing on Kickstarter and it's supposed to release next month so we'll see.

Or you can just use a Chromebook that can do the exact same thing for $150

>Why are you buying a specced chromebook
it's not only spec but life comfort stuff, like full hd or 360 screen. It sucks that samsung don't sell the plus or pro in my county

They're deliberately crippled with tiny SSDs and fucking Chrome for the UI.

>buying a used laptop is disgusting and cringe.
Wat

be me
>be Samshit/botnet fanboy
>can't wait for the pixel X
>Anythingwithanxiscool.ogg
>walk past a Google store
>didntknowtheyhadthose.BIN
>See Samsung Chromebook
>Light descends from the heavens
>No, it's just me passing out from all the blood going to my penis
>buy the damn thing
>I can't wait to replace my terrible Windows machine with steam games galore (What's GNU/Linux?)
>Smash motherboard
>Smash HDD
>fuckyeah.S
>Turn on the power
>Everything I have is stored on Google Drive
>Go to app selection, expect PC level software
>mfw it's candy crush
>mfw it's PUBG mobile rather than Desktop
>mfw it's a piece of shit that wouldn't have sufficed as a second computer 30+ years ago

Attached: 432y244hj.jpg (1024x674, 202K)

>$200 for a fucking laptop case
You could have bought the new Pine laptop. It would be a less of a money waste.

No. They're given small enough SSDs to maintain the OS and some small local files. Of course Google is going to try and push people to their Google Drive service. Many Chromebooks have a MicroSD slot
>Chrome as UI
yes. It's literally in the name, Chromebook. I don't get why people are bitching about a device that tells your straight away exactly what it is.
>somehow being able to run android apps natively is a bad thing

It's cheap, and it's convenient if you don't mind the botnet.

There is a larger majority of people who don't give a flying shit about the botnet and would rather prefer to willingly hand over their data and immediately press "agree" to a 50-page terms document so they can access the programs they need to do schooling and work because their lives depend on it.

Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431-C5FM
>1080p IPS Screen
>4GB RAM
>32GB Internal (no MicroSD unfortunately)
>Celeron N3160 quad core
$300 brand new.

>celeron

Attached: da2baeff3269a77678cde02f9341ef61.jpg (720x703, 70K)

once again. I've said it at least 2 times now ITT. Chomebooks. Do. Not. Need. Fast. Hardware. You're not buying a Chromebook for hardcore computing, you're getting it for stupidly long battery life and good screens for their price. They're perfect general use machines meant for college students. If you're after higher end hardware, consider an actual proper laptop

I tell all the boomers and tech illiterates at work to buy chromebooks.

Most people only browse the web and they can edit documents through gsuite if they need to. It's exactly what they need.

I don't care if this thing is practically a dumb terminal, I'm not taking anything with a celeron

I bought a c740, got a 128gb m2 for it, and installed a Linux distro on it. Finally retiring it after 3 years of use as my daily driver. I have a job I don't need to be using garbage.

>web pages
Web pages are actually the slowest "software" in existence today. At 5 GHz some still struggle. I don't want to think how miserable using the Gmail webapp on a Celeron must be.

then the cheaper chromebooks aren't for you. I personally own an older 2015 Toshiba CB2 with a celeron 3215U in it. It doesn't have any issue doing all the general stuff you'd need out of a general use/office work oriented machine. I paid $280 for it brand new and it came with a 128GB MicroSD card. Almost 5 years later and it still gets 12 hours on a single charge even with the screen at 60%+ screen brightness.

works fine. I can't believe I'm taking a stance defending fucking Chromebooks, but I at least made it a point to try them before criticizing them.

Attached: 1565976129444.jpg (634x602, 90K)

>their lives depend on it.
Lel, no.

the surface go feel more bang for the bucks than the chromebooks in the same price range

Have a lenovo ideapad netbook with an n3050, 32GB eMMC, 4GB RAM. When used with its limitations in mind, aka not a desktop as is any other laptop, it's quite capable.

Windows on it, however, was a nightmare. Linux was a breath of fresh air.

cheap 2 in 1s that have a better user experience than Windows alternatives

a Lenovo C330 is $180, runs Linux apps, runs Android apps, charges on USB C, and has an HDMI-out

outstanding value for a snappy lightweight laptop that converts into an Android tablet

I love it how these googleshills imply that you can't install Linux on one of the cheaper Windows machines.
You get much better specs for less money pretty much always when you get a bottom of the barrel Windows machine. The celerons are universally 2-3 gens newer than the ones you get on current chromebooks.

I have an old Xperia phone whose touch capabilities went kaput that I have been considering buying a dock for, but as
said, I could just buy a chromebook and junk the phone.

it's for technological inept people who just want to watch youtube/netflix/check email

I have an old Xperia phone whose touch capabilities went kaput that I have been considering buying a dock for, but as
said, I could just buy a chromebook and junk the phone.

Not really botnet if you flash Coreboot and boot Linux.

* Cheap disposable machines
* People know what they are, and they don't raise suspicion.
* You can quickly wipe them, and have them quickly pull down all of the info from an account.

I use them for travel; I have it associated with my "travel" account, with standard non-offensive social media accounts, etc. Once I'm going to be in a place for a while, I can break the association, pull down a blob of data with my "real" working info, and get some work done.
Before I cross a border again, I wipe it and reconnect it to my travel account.

They're cheap and a bunch of them support coreboot.

>deliver to sam - santa maria 93455

Hi Sam, i'll be coming to have sex with you shortly

Locked down system + prone to a lot of issues.

good, I've been hoping for a chance to try out my .223 security system

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

>will soon visit the us
>chromebook are a lot cheaper
>no warranty and wrong keyboard setup
I'm conflicted

>cheap
>good battery life
>decent screens for their pricepoint
>"modern" look that appeals to most normalfags
>light and thin
There are plenty of reasons to buy a Chromebook, but if you really value durability, storage, or performance at all then they're not worth your time. I went from an Acer Chromebook 14 running galliumOS to an x220 with Debian Sid, and I personally enjoy it much more mainly because I don't care about the weight or screen quality.

your priorities are different thus it's better?

Does it support the Google Store? Can I install Android apps on it? You might have convinced me to buy one.

Yeah. I realized after around a year that I'd rather have a heavier laptop that has more than 16gb of storage, 4gb ram, and a shitty cpu.

I've seen models with 64GB internals, and maybe a handful of 8GB hard to recall. however, 4GB goes a lot further when it's not siphoned by windows.

as for the cpu you're right, to an extent, however these usually come with prolonged battery life, less heat, and more than likely are passively cooled inside an overall lighter product.

I've seen techtubers say they've forgone monster laptops when they're on the road and just bring mini itx desktops for heavy workloads because the performance gap is tangible.

To backup my own 4GB claim I have a Celeron netbook with 4GB of RAM (kinda sad to see that's a luxury among cheap netbooks now).

having just logged into xfce with three esoteric applications running on startup (one of which is "heavy", accounting for 132MB of the following total) my current usage is 580MB, or 448 with the "heavy" application closed. Out of 3.7GB, that's a puny 15%/12% compared to the typical 30-50% when Windows was on this thing.

Opening up Chromium jumps to 900MB (don't say it) then just shy of 1GB when on YouTube. Still 2.7GB to go! After opening 7 unique video tabs and the original youtube homepage still open we're now sitting at 1.9GB used and about that much still free.

I'll admit that the CPU was pegged while loading all 7 new pages at once. Fortunately not only is this a low end of its series (N3050) but there's also newer series with better performance at the same wattage such as the N4100, and the more costly N5000 series.

Subscribe to my blog about why less is actually more and why coping is fine, please.