Dedicated Portable Music Players

Are they a meme in the age of smartphones?

Attached: 61MGEl+N2-L._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 16K)

The smartphone is the jack of all trades and master of none. Every purpose built device it replaces is better than it at their own specific functions. Even more so now that we've entered the age of removing features from phones and selling them for higher prices anyway.
With a dedicated player you are guaranteed a phone jack, almost always a better dac/amp, most have physical controls, many have better battery life, and none will drain power that could be put to better use in an emergency.
If you can get by with a phone that's your decision, but it is not a full replacement for all.

yes

>are they a meme
yeah, but there's always a group of retards that want something with less features so they're going to keep being manufactured

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 70K)

More DEPRECATED PMPs, amirite?

There's already a thread, dumbass.

If you mean those in your pic then yeah it's a meme.
Stuff like the clip+? definitely not.

They aren't a meme, and if you use a smartphone you're retarded.

>haha why use a smartphone when you can carry around a dumbphone and a camera and a music player and a laptop instead

Attached: 1564785507203.png (455x471, 48K)

I wanted to /diy/ my own audio player intended to be mounted in my car. It have a large LCD screen, bigger than a phone, smaller than a tablet with a custom programmed UI. Songs would be stored on a 1TB SSD or something that could be updated by just popping it out and whacking into an external drive caddy on your PC and drag and drop files. Would have some tactile physical buttons to make seeking through a large number of files easier while driving and the large display is intended to make the information clear and easy to read and decipher quickly. Would have also integrated a beefy onboard power amplifier as well.

But alas, this project idea was scrapped when I couldn't figure out how to decode digital audio. I needed to be able to decode many formats too and there don't seem to be any off the shelf solutions that handle mp3, m4a/aac, wav, and flac that are easy to integrate.

Or people with phones that have crappy DACs or no headphone jack.

>wired headphones

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

>not building it to run Linux or Rockbox

Because AirPods and the like sound like dog turd

>apple products

Attached: 13758903.gif (498x278, 1.69M)

there're a meme now, but give it 5 years when there isn't a single phone with a headphone jack. then they will be useful.

no, a touch screen "phone" is a meme
if you unironically use one then listening to music will drain your battery, it's turbo gay and there is absolutely no advantage in listening it through one

because you can get better versions of all of those for less money?
because you often don't need all of them at the same time?
because there aren't any sane OSs for phones? lineage is at least usable I suppose, for models it supports

well a "smart" phone tries to do all sort of things but fails at all of them horribly, a feature phone, a camera, music player and notebook each do what they are fucking supposed to do, and they do it well unlike your touch screen meme

DACs keep getting upgraded, and so do phones. What's the big advantage of a "fixed status" PMP, especially with the expense?

>phones bad because i can't figure out how to use them
wash your hands sometimes and you might have more luck with a touchscreen grandpa

Attached: goku laugh.gif (200x200, 594K)

i use my smartphone (key2) for
>communicating with people
>looking things up on the go
>take snapshots

why would i use it to listen to music when i have a sony a45 with way superior audio quality that won't drain my phones battery? if i have to take good photos i use my d40, not my phone.

Bluetooth is shit tier technology. The idea is good, but the execution is shit.

Yes, why would you use a smartphone when dedicated devices are better? Zoomers sure are strange

fpbp

>he has to charge his headphones

Yes, but bugmen will tell you otherwise

yes they're a meme. audiophools will tell you different though

>bugmen
>>>/reddit/

Gearbest sales representative detected.
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Shanling and Taotronics in here yet.

The only Chi-fi product I've had is a Fiio amp, it did the job. Also Gearbest sucks

>my smartphone is shit so all smartphones are shit
>t. hasn't used a wireless device made in the last decade
>better
citation needed