Has no licensing associated with it

>has no licensing associated with it
>can still transmit DRM for bitchy companies
>supports standards like VESA Adapative Sync
>doesn't have widespread adoption on displays, especially TVs

But why?

Attached: DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort-Cable-50ft-24AWG[1].jpg (1024x815, 38K)

marketing
the hdmi licensing llc is a business while displayport is just a vesa norm

>DisplayPort
>When Thunderbolt 3/4 exists
TB4 supports literally everything under the sun. Whether it be graphics, Internet, power, and so on. You can even daisy chain multiple devices and provide up to 100w of power. On top of that TB4 is USB-C AND it's an open standard now instead of proprietary Apple shit.

That said I still use DP while I wait for TB4 to really take off.

you are aware that the display protocol shoved through thunderbolt IS displayport, right

yea idc about the specifics. The thing is that no one uses DP ports most of the time. 99% of the time you're using some sort of adapter.

>doesn't have widespread adoption on displays
its very popular on office equipment, we have the entire office being Dell shit , even the displays and its using DP

That's finally happening but it took a long time. I would say that really only started taking hold around 2015 or 2016.

Prior to that we'd actually get Dell monitors and computers where the computer would only have a DP out but the monitor wouldn't support it and they included DP-to-HDMI adapters in the box, as if Dell somehow knew but did nothing about it.

Displayport is widely adopted on business devices... USB-C based docking stations and desktops from HP use DP and vga only

>That's finally happening but it took a long time.
It's actually been a fairly quick turnaround. You can't expect things to change in literally a week.

>designed by intel
into the trash it goes

DP is replacing VGA for enterprise. DP is the main option for enthusiast PC users, look at how many DP versus HDMI ports any high end GPU has

I still want a TV with DP and VAS support. Playing in 4K would be more reasonable if there was some way to cut down on screen tearing so I can gain better frames with vsync on.

>my home monitor came with DP
>my work setup is all DP based
>my previous job's setup was all DP based
The only place ive seen HDMI in ages is on shitty TVs.

>he says while using the industry standard Intel based LAN chipset
Intel leads the way in many regards that aren't CPU related shit stick. Unless you choose to use fucking broadcom or realtek garbage.

>not using a Killer Networking NIC
laggy fuck

Show me packet performance numbers, faggot.

Intel LAN is buggy shit that never works properly, intel in every aspect has a lack of quality control in cpus, gpu, lan, wifi, nand, everything. Intel fucks up everything they touch.

>Intel LAN is buggy shit that never works properly
which is why it's the industry standard to this day. It's blatantly clear you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

I literally use DP on my MacBook Pro (using thunderbolt 2, which uses mini display port) my Surface Pro and my gaming desktop. The fuck are you on about? Gaming desktops prefer DP.

Displayport cables are expensive as shit if you want anything over a couple of metres that will actually handle 1440p/HRR without drop-outs, let alone 4K/HRR, and cap out way lower than HDMI. I ended up paying £31 for a 4m cable after every cheap one I tried simply couldn't handle 1440p/144Hz reliably.

my gpu has 3 dp outs and only one hdmi (plus one usb-c). my most recent monitors both need dp to support all their functions. its not exactly unpopular

Displayport is just a connector... the wiring in the cable and data sent through it are unrelated.

Every display I've bought since 2012 has had DP.
It's not made for TVs, HDMI is the TV and media standard, DP is the computer monitor standard.

What? TVs are the only things which don't come with DP. It's been present on every half-decent monitor for nearly a decade and nowadays modern graphics cards come with like 3 DP and a single HDMI, precisely because shitloads of monitors use DP.

Intel Pro NICs maybe, the I217-V in my home server was a complete bitch under Debian. That piece of shit kept randomly dropping the connection until I researched the problem only to realize I certainly wasn't the only one with this issue and fixed it by disabling some hardware offloading IIRC.

Thunderbolt *IS* DisplayPort. So is USB-C.

DP is VGA/DVI
HDMI is SCART/Component
That's the markets they aim to replace

That doesn't change anything that I said, jackass.

Listen, be civil or be gone.

No, DP is a standard.

Usb 4.x+ will incorporate it anyway

It will be a long time until most monitors and most graphics cards come with USB 4 though, if it ever happens.

USB-C already does and there are monitors, phones and laptops that support it over the USB-C connector

Barely anything uses DP and everything new uses Thunderbolt ports -- or HDMI if they're low-spec.

in case you missed it
thunderbolt is displayport

No idiot, they use Thunderbolt ports, not DP.
Power, I/O and display in a single port. Can DP do that?

It's a computer standard, not home cinema standard.

you don't understand
displayport is the protocol running through the thunderbolt port when driving a display
it's the same thing

>have 2 monitors at work
>have two pc's and a laptop
>want to switch one monitor between pc and laptop
>monitors have HDMI, DVI and VGA connectors
>computers and laptop have VGA and DP connectors.
>2019
>Still having to resort to VGA
Adapters have become an in house currency.

Try running 3x5m displayport cables to 3 monitors. It just doesn't work. Buggy as shit. Terrible interface.

>have two monitors on windows
>one uses DP
>try to switch inputs or turn it off
>windows rearranges your desktop and any open programs
this doesn't happen with HDMI so as much as i want to use DP i'm stuck until microsoft gets their fucking shit together

i have to disable hardware checksum offloading on my pfsense box too. very sad

You're the idiot here.

TB isn't apple shit though, it's intel shit. Other hardware makers never bothered paying the licensing fees to intel outside of a select few.

If you think Intel NICs are bad wait until you try LACP with broadcom or realtek. Lel

>"doesn't have widespread adoption on displays, especially TVs"
>Basically everything except ultra cheapo stuff has it
>Was never intended to be used in TVs
Either someone's clueless or smoking some pretty great dope...

So fucking annoying

Displayport ends up being more expensive to implement into electronics
HDMI has it's fees but all the connectors and chipsets are much cheaper so it ends up being less expensive to implement HDMI than display port which is why on you find HDMI first on cheaper electronics

I keep forgetting this fucking thing has locking pins and a push button and keep trying to yank it out, then get worried i fucked my gpu.

>>doesn't have widespread adoption on displays

Only cheap ass displays for normalbergs don't come with DP, most mid-to high end display come with DP. All my P-series Dells come with DP. (we have over 50 P2419H's and P2414H's)

if consumer stop buying tvs with HDMI they are out of store in one year.

Jews

>AND it's an open standard now instead of proprietary Apple shit.

it was never apple shit, it was Intel shit

Displayport = Computers

HDMI = A/V equipment

/thread

brainlet

but apple would if they could

The new hdmi spec makes dp a meme anyway

Based display port poster.

You forget
>can use a passive DP to HDMI convert. (no computing) so you can buy a cheap $3 adapter that's just electronically connect with no login involved.

Might as well buy into DP even if you use HDMI and plug in a adapter.

no logic involved**

Unlike a active adapter that requires a chip to translate a signal.

Does it add daisy-chaining?

Thunderbolt 2 used displayport as a connector and now it uses usb-c connector.

Probably not

>makes DP a meme
>doesn't do everything DP does

No daisy chains dp but you lol

I don't even use DP but I can see the advantages of daisychaining

Oh okay

My dell monitor and my 1080ti natively support do, which I'm currently using as we fucking speak...? So does my 3 year old Xbox one, and my cellphone...? What the fuck are you talking about?

It's only the industry standard because Intel paid a lot of fucking money for exclusivity with any brand that would sign the fuckin contract you stupid fuck

Supports dp***

The technology has problems, very big problems. I certainly would not use it in a domestic environment

No, he's right, you do not have a fucking clue what you are talking about. In future, please remember that, whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Fuck HDMI and DP
VGA is the best connector, followed by DVI. They just work™