Are new ThinkPads as good as old ThinkPads?

There seems to be a split here of "20 Series and prior are the only real ThinkPads" and "NuPads are better"

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy81NTg5L2cvbGVub3ZvLXRoaW5rcGFkLXAxLTAwMi5qcGc= (775x500, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-15-6-Genuine-Laptop-Palmrest-w-Touchpad-60-4KE10-012-1/323836689968?epid=1764385773&hash=item4b662bbe30:g:gAsAAOSwUAJdB3Eo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They aren't as good, no. If I were to recommend a Thinkpad, the newest would be the T43. After that the quality has been steadily declining.

If you want to use an outdated computer and have to track down expensive legacy parts when it eventually breaks in the coming years, sure. The T420 I have is equal in construction if not superior to my T43. The only good use for a T43 at this point is fitting a bomb inside and sneaking it onto an airplane.

The T420 isn't even close to the quality of the T42. If you really think that you are daft.

T42's shit computing performance means the T420 is by far and away the superior machine in the current year.
the quality of construction is only part of the whole, you can't just disregard the hardware.

Dude T42 literally had a big controversy because if you lift it wrong the chassis edge / motherboard would bend too much and snap. If you want old IBM style go with the real classic, T60

Attached: 69716379_1383156611834252_2407603772437037056_n.png (960x540, 677K)

See my main concern is 100% the opposite of this. The T/W520 has near unlimited supplies of spare parts online. Some are even brand new clone parts from China. And they're all what you'd expect: $10 here, $20 there. Maybe $50 for a motherboard.

Try looking up P1 / X1 Extreme parts. No one has them, they're hundreds of dollars and never in stock.

It really isn't that bad. Definitely not what I would call shit. Plus, the T42 doesn't have IME like the T420 does.
Overblown. But the point is that the T42 was the last good Thinkpad.

>IME
then get a T60 or T61

Is there a modern replacement for ThinkPads?

No, it's a crapshoot with those GPUs.

Im Using a T480s w/ dGPU from 2018, it was a no brainer at the time, and still is. it's really pretty decent

I just got a Macbook instead

and turned gay right after

t. wintoddler

Nope, but I paid for it like it was nothing. It's something you NEETs will never experience

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1547320383883.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

experiencing cock?

I don’t understand the why anyone would want a newer model thinkpad.
>faggy chiclet key garbage
>management engine botnet
>overpriced because muh thinkpad brand
If I wanted a newer laptop I’d just get a latitude. For now, my T42p works just fine, and has an awesome keyboard, and beautiful IPS screen. Nupad kikes can kill themselves.

Old thinkpads are shit though,
>Outdated design
>Outdated hardware
>Terrible screen

And the new thinkpads have all the features they had too
>Great keyboard
>Great durability, at least x1 carbon where the CEO was literally dropping it on the floor or something

And I don't know why Jow Forums shills old for some reason, I actually did buy one and used it, the screen was garbage, the hardware despite the i5 ran worse than the other new one I got for replacing it which had an i3, it also has a better screen and I only had to pay a little extra than the cost of the thinkpad for it

Unless you're REALLY AUTISTIC and get AUTISM attacks when you don't use that particular model of thinkpad, there is now sensible reason to not just getting a new one, I mean Jesus

>pic related is the game I had tried running

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 44K)

Just to clarify the newer one I got was a dell latitude 3650, not a thinkpad

Yes, an old Thinkpad.
For real though, how's HP's business models?

>Outdated design
You mean timeless.

New ThinkPads got 16:9 aspect ratio, how is this even a question for productivity?

>16:9 aspect ratio
Everything post 2012 does. 16:9 is fine.

Absolute bullshit. Even beyond Apple you can always find decent laptops and screens with 16:10 or the more modern 3:2. Even fucking Dell released some 16:10 2 in 1 recently. If consumer plebs and kids who fell for a brand wouldn't waste their money on business class laptops with an aspect ratio for YT clips, there would be more choices too.

>tablets and convertibles use 16:10
>businesses use 16:9
>"16:9 is bad for productivity"
Hmmm

>businesses use 16:9
What respectable business uses 16:9 for their employers which they value? Obviously they are going to throw cheap 16:9 stuff at the office drones but that's due savings.

T60 was still good and designed by IBM. Everything before didn't have a rollcage and bent if you picked it up with one hand
The only usable one is the P52.
Everything has been a downwards spiral after the 4:3 T60 production ended. Not even memeing, Even the plastic quality got a lot worse after chinks started designing them.

Attached: t60p.jpg (1600x1200, 285K)

>T/W520 has near unlimited supplies of spare parts online
Find me a nonshit bezel that has holes for the fingerprint reader and colorimeter at an affordable prize.

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-15-6-Genuine-Laptop-Palmrest-w-Touchpad-60-4KE10-012-1/323836689968?epid=1764385773&hash=item4b662bbe30:g:gAsAAOSwUAJdB3Eo

No fingerprint reader
Also I'm in EU

No.
IBM ThinkPads best ThinkPads.

honestly, the only arguments I've heard against newer thinkpads is soldered CPUs (fair point, but this is also true for pretty much any other new laptop), keyboard doesn't feel as good as the old ones (subjective, but they still have the best keyboards of any new laptops) and other arguments that basically boil down to "soul vs soulless" memes.
I got an x1 Extreme a few months ago and I love it. the only thing that I can say bad about it is it get's pretty hot under heavy loads and the trackpoint sometimes starts moving on it's own, but as far as I know this can be a problem with pretty much any thinkpad

Lenovo has other lines which are better spec'd, build quality is pretty identical.

I have two T480s and a T470 from work. They're okay.

new thinkpads are trash. no, it's not just the keyboards. I have a $2500 max-specced x380 yoga that is constantly throttled down well under 1ghz primarily not because of heat but because of a bios bug unresolved 1.5 years after release. it has an m.2 nvme drive yet takes 5 minutes to boot. about 2/3 of the time it freezes during the boot process; i.e. it takes 3 tries just to turn the damn thing on. it freezes randomly and needs a hard reboot every few days. the trackpoint moves about 4x faster in some directions than others and drifts badly. 80% of the trackpoint left-click button doesn't register

my 2001 t22, 2008 t400, 2008 t500, 2009 x200 tablet, and 2012 x230 tablet all work better

the x1 series seems a bit better

get a dell or wait for apple to unfuck their keyboards

>chinks started designing them
The exact same team has worked on the ThinkPad line from IBM to now uninterrupted.

It was a big deal when Lenovo first purchased the 'Think' brand because IBM saw it as useless when selling it, Lenovo was thus going to scrap it for patents and the team revolted and threatened to leave the company if they couldn't continue their work.

nowhere close, but they're still better than other modern laptops

>mfw posting from a Thinkpad T480 I bought brand new

How do you like the Extreme? I'm enjoying mine to the point I feel anxious they'll over do it with changing up the design in a few years. This thing is peak ThinkPad

1. Are there any 14" Thinkpads that came out AFTER the T430s that are better than the T430s that can be bought used for

Attached: 1560717589090.jpg (706x900, 73K)

Pretty well built but shit.
I actually like Elitebook series but it's a macbook knockoff that heats up even more than mac.
I think T440p is last good laptop.

T440p. Fully upgradable. Socketed CPU. Supports MQ quadcore i7s.
Optical drive, m.2 SSD + regular HDD/SSD slot, IPS screens, great trackpad (synaptics version), failry decent keyboard for modern standards.
It's an overall great machine and costs around 150$ in decent condition.

Reviews are probably bad because sellers put mint condition picture on ebay and send you some refurbished piece of shit with fuck up plastics. I only buy used laptops IRL so i can check them out. They're everywhere so it's not a problem to find them and prices are usually negotiable so you can score even lower prices than ebay, i bought every laptop i own that way.

Can somebody explain to me what the fuck is the difference? I've used both and both feel the same to me, why the fuck people care, i really want to understand.

Attached: c5b717fcf7d8e300355650d3f027cdae.jpg (592x512, 27K)

Black bars when media is played = 16:10

No black bars when media is played = 16:9

There is no difference beyond that, which is why every manufacturer got behind 16:9. Autists just moved form 4:3 to 16:10 as the contrarian aspect ratio when anime went 720 and they couldn't deal with 4:3 anymore

I love it, relatively thin and light while still having room for 2 TBs of m.2 SSDs, two 32GB RAM slots and being able to run graphically demanding games on at least medium settings. I bought it about a month after release and I haven't really had any problems with it.
havent really looked at it in detail but it feels like the 2nd gen is taking things in the right direction. the only reason I picked the FHD one instead of 4k for the 1st gen is the 4k version had a glossy screen and no shutter for the camera, now the 4k version has anti glare and a shutter. plus it's got a better GPU.

I went FHD too but mostly just so it wouldn't clash too much with my matte ThinkVisions / rape the battery

my x240 is pretty comfy

>turned

>No black bars when media is played = 16:9
So what you're saying is that if I play back a 1.85:1 movie, my otherwise 16:9 screen magically transforms into a 16:10 ratio because I get black bars ?

Chinkpads, for what reason to be good?

The same black bars become extra space when you actually do something beyond watching media on your laptop.

>the contrarian aspect ratio
It's the normal aspect ratio in professional sector unless you're some office drone or the company cheaps out an gives you some walmart tier Dell.

What's is wrong with t60? T40 actually looks a bit sexier in my opinion but there's nothing wrong with t60 really.

Attached: 2019-08-30-225527_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 811K)

The new refresh of Thinkpads are here soon.

Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax
PCIe 4.0
15W hexa core i7 with 4.7GHz boost
4k HDR 500 nit
Probably weigh like 2lbs...

>nothing wrong with t60 really.

Imagine actually thinking that using literal garbage is ok.

Attached: muhnips.png (354x528, 205K)

i think about buying a t440p upgrading it to a 1080p screen, m.2 boot drive, 2tb hdd for data and shit and a backlit keyboard. and proper 450 trackpad
probably around 400€

is it worth it ?

>For now, my T42p works just fine
It does not get a new pc you faggot. At least get something that is not fucking 32-bit pentium.

It's not garbage ok lol.
I paid like 30 euros for this.

Does that thing even have a wireless card?

I mean... can you even stream a video across your network or load a modern webpage?

What the fuck would you even do with it lol.

Works as a Jow Forums shitposting machine but to be honest this is not that useful for streaming your favorite anime from your nas.
Still perfectly usable but I would definitely not recommend this over a modern thinkpad in $current_year.
I still do think that modern thinkpads are not as good as these though.

this is not that useful for streaming your favorite anime from your nas
>Still perfectly usable

>this is not that useful for streaming your favorite anime from your nas
C O P E
O
P
E

Just for a t490 (no discrete graphics) and it's brilliant. Perfect Linux (Ubuntu) support.

No point anymore; the T490 variants are being refreshed with 6 core U variant.

>great keyboard

No actually not. I use an x280 at work

Pros
-light, small, modern specs, great screen

Cons
-keyboard feels shitty, no thinklight
-no sd card slot (microsd only)
-gets extremely hot
-no lan port
-does not "feel" as sturdy

Honestly prefer my old beat up x220.
It needs an ssd and a new trackpad, but otherwise it's still a great laptop. Really miss the thinkpad feel on the x280.

>keyboard feels shitty
still better than any modern laptop I've typed on
or chinknovo uses keyboards from different vendors like they did in the past, maybe you got the shitty one

my t530 has just the balance of new hardware and old sturdiness

What will they do after the x90 series, x100?

Attached: 1537012791483.jpg (586x880, 98K)

Nah they are shit, only thing interesting is battery life
I have a x260 and keyboard is shit (chiclet is fine but some rows of keys on the right side are smaller, so it's shit for my layout)
Display is terrible
Performance is shit
Expensive as fuck
Trackpoint is overrated
It's probably a better idea to just get a consumer grade laptop with ryzen cpu and vega graphics for cheaper
Even a Lenovo one

Dropped a X1 Extreme about 50cm. Now the hinge creaks worringly when closing the lid.

[spoiler]Is this covered by warranty?[/spoiler]

x270 here. Gets hot but I love it.

Attached: manic.jpg (563x439, 26K)

>15W hexa core i7 with 4.7GHz boost
please tell me you actually don't believe these lies, that hex core needs 90w to run at advertised clock speeds it is fucking impossible in real world situations when it will be mounted in a super thin ultrabook

Shit like this is what has me anxious. On T520 this would be a $20 + 20 minutes fix - if it even damaged it that much

Attached: 11117179_925948547457172_2125255818_n.jpg (640x640, 72K)

What about Dell?

>It's something you NEETs will never experience
I experienced the best of Apple. Did you?

Attached: mac unix ad.jpg (1094x720, 369K)

waiting for a dell precision m7530 to arrive in the post. i9-8950HK, 256gb pcie nvme ssd etc. 3 year on site warranty as standard. paid 1k from dell outlet. really excited.

i prefer dell

new L series are called L13
suspected new T series will be T14 or 15

Attached: SHORPY-1a34791u3.jpg (2000x1530, 975K)

just wait for the surface pro 7

I bought a t480 few weeks ago. Pretty good shit.

Just got a t480s for me. Prefered sturdier casing as had an older x series and palm rest cracked on my daily use. Happy it still has expandable ram slot unlike t490s

the matte material is nice but dam is it ugly.

>does not "feel" as sturdy
You're not supposed to be bending it around dumbass

Attached: shoot_me.jpg (640x655, 42K)

I wish someone gifted me a ryzen 5 thinkpad

>Be dev
>Know about bios bug
>Have it written down in notes
>Don't fix it because it's too much work