Rate my program. starting very soon. I’m from the u.k. btw

rate my program. starting very soon. I’m from the u.k. btw.

uat.edu/course-listings/advancing-computer-science-degree#bachelor

Attached: 9E07042D-EE9D-458B-9434-D80D62D434DB.png (500x855, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

4icu.org/reviews/4974.htm
4icu.org/reviews/4750.htm
cs.washington.edu/academics/ugrad/courses/requirements
github.com/w0rp/ale/tree/master/ale_linters
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reads like more programming oriented than Computer Science oriented

but it has a lot of good courses for programming skill

I don't know. I personally think having courses dedicated to one programming language is kind of a waste.

Who has that copy of the typical CS degree? Because this is basically it.

Look at all of the programming courses lolol.

Just a heads up I went to UAT in 2007/8 and it's a daycare center for young adults, like all private education. You're just buying a degree not earning it any everyone knows it.

Go to a public university, if your grades are good enough.

its not accredited?

How hard are the courses?

Not to the same standards as a public institution.

Also it's on baseline and I-10 right next to Guadalupe, which is the bad side of town.

It's literally walking distance from one of the worst neighborhoods in the Phoenix area.

We had kids get held up at gun point a few times while I was there. Because you have to go off campus to get anything because the campus is so small and offers so little.

Courses were a joke. There's information to be learned if you're dedicated and contacts to be made but many kids would just drift through and not learn anything hoping they'd just get placed in the careers they wanted. I cream does rise to the top here, it's just all bland mush and they have a bad reputation in games/computing industry since their graduates mostly bought their degrees.

what’s a typical programming assignment like in the intro courses and the II versions?

This is a meme degree.

Yeah just as I thought. This programme is severely lacking in the theory side of things.

It doesn't even have compulsory math?
Definitely pajeet tier.

Same shit as everywhere else my dude.

the books are the same but you're not being held to high standard.

You could download the books and do the exercises yourself, you'd probably get more out of them because you'd actually have to read them.

UAT is like Fullsail, if Fullsail was pretending to be a real university.

For the user from the UK I'm curious why you don't go to free public education in your country.

Why waste money on a private institution in the US?

stfu it has big data analytics (aka machine learning), operating systems, software engineering, AI, and data structures/algorithms.

maybe all it’s missing is some bioinformatics and crytography

becos american developers actually make good money unlike ones here

This but I can't select the actual sub-sections in the course headings. Can't say one way or the other if it is any good.

phoneposters gtfo

Get a CS/CE degree in your home country and then get a job in the US.

US employers automatically assume anyone who graduated in the UK is a classy super genius because of the accent. We're dumb that way.

Wrong again faggot.

Fucking this.

A degree in computing without math makes you a monkey who can type.

Unless you can abstract and solve the problem first, on paper or elsewhere, you're just writing code to look busy.

Discrete Math, Set Theory and Statistics are all ways of thinking about problems in a similar way to which you'd need to solve them computationally.

i can take those as electives pussy look at the options for programming too

You can do whatever you want with your parents money my dude.

I wasted $15k there and thought I'd help you avoid some pain.

Don't shirk your work, don't skip advanced and abstract maths and work 10x harder than every other kid and you'll be fine. Don't fall victim to the culture.

Good luck.

>rate my program. starting very soon. I’m from the u.k. btw.
I did more computer science in my first year at university than is included in your entire program if you take every single course. 2/10.

>I’m from the u.k. btw.
Which university ?

not sure how that’s possible but okay. doubt you took big data and AI as a first year

>doubt you took big data and AI as a first year
I did not. I'm comparing total amount of material, not a course list.

yeah but if i take OS, AI, Software engineering and programming courses there’s more material there then in you’re entire first year idiot

Not enough. All of what youpve listed are taught as core concepts in most CS programmes. There's no compulsory Discrete Maths, Theory of Computation (Logic, Automata, Turing Machines), Information Theory, Computer Organization and Execution.

Imagine not staying here and grinding your arse off to get a placement/apprenticeship and/or scholarship. The absolute state of this lad.

Attached: ohnononono.png (1185x432, 37K)

a lot of that stuff isn’t needed in modern programmes.

Fuckin hell mate what are you DOING
4icu.org/reviews/4974.htm
4icu.org/reviews/4750.htm

Attached: LOOKATTHETOPOFHISDEGREEEEEEEE.png (1032x1212, 78K)

what? it’d a tech focused school no need for that gay humanities crap

Tech-focused don't mean it's good mate. I see now the crop's a bit shite but you can still clearly see the checkmarks saying they don't offer Masters in Engineering and Doctorates in Science/IT. UAT is shite mate, fuckin ANYONE can get in. Not saying nobody can't get into Staffordshire, but it's a hell of a lot easier if you live in the same country, and it's cheaper. You'd then work hard and get into something like Cambridge.

If you're going to the states, why couldn't you get into MIT?

Attached: 1413923951475.jpg (476x341, 17K)

Wait never mind mate have fun wasting your parents' oil money. Ta-ta.

Attached: MAAAAAAATE.png (814x1632, 133K)

why the fuck would anyone go all the way to the US and pay absolutely fucking retarded american tuition just to go to a dogshit uni like that. I mean fucking hell.
what's even funnier is that he doesn't even have the consolation of US salaries because no one wants to sponsor a lottery H1B faggot. So he'll have to pay off his massive student loans with a paltry UK starting salary of 25k compared to the US where if you're good you can comfortably earn £50k year 1

the ABSOLUTE state of this cunt

Attached: 6dBt2Oj.jpg (600x315, 21K)

fuck off m8 it’s a good program and U.K. education is a fuckin joke. yeh it doesn’t have certain classes but it’s a good US school and i don’t need shitty cambridge or whatever else you fucking tosser.

You fucking what, UK schools are absolutely retard tier but our unis are pretty decent.
t. just finished my Bachelor's at KCL

Why the fuck would you enrol on this shit?

It's not fucking accredited. Its not a real degree. If you do actually manage to finish it, employers will laugh at you for being a dumb nigger. Get a real degree from a real uni OR teach yourself and pester someone until they give you a chance.

>just finished my Bachelor's at KCL
What degree? I'm doing Comp Sci BSc there, I wanna see how fucked I am.

Yeah that, it's not a bad one. Make sure you pick the right courses, there are a couple which are huge memes and if you're not careful it's possible to fill all your optional slots with memes (a popular strategy among pajeets - I did some TA work and I literally got asked for advice on what "the easiest modules are" by a couple of them). But there are definitely good courses. What year are you?
Overall it's definitely not Imperial College or Cambridge tier when it comes to CS, but it's a pretty good well-rounded program, and the name is at least definitely very well respected and famous (even if that doesn't matter too much in the UK nowadays).

you WHAT, you were in the class of 2019 at KCL?
I went there for my freshers before dropping out... I probably know you

Attached: DSC_0292.jpg (3840x2160, 829K)

I'll be starting year 2 this year. I went full software-fag with my optional modules (operating systems, programming language design, internet systems), and I'm wondering if it would've been better to pick more hardware-related modules. I don't know if I can change my mind when the year starts, but whatever.
If I remember correctly, they'll be using C++ in the programming module, so I'm trying to prepare myself for it before the year starts.
Good to see I at least won't get fucked by having my degree be too worthless.

no it isn't, there's no such thing as a good university if it's not even ranked in the top thousand in the world. it's not even fucking mentioned in the QS rankings lmfao. I mean shit, I was looking at good (relatively) affordable American CS unis myself and Cal Poly Pomona is such a better school with a way better location next to ALL the employers that it's not even funny. what the hell are you doing user, at least get your value for money.
you could easily go to a lower tier russell group uni in the UK and receive a far higher standard quality of education while still having a brainlet tier ABB entry requirement AND not having to pay stupid tuition fees, especially since the pound is about to fall so hard against the dollar so you'd probably be paying £20k+ a year. all to go to a uni worse than fucking STAFFORDSHIRE.

and are you seriously trying to say >american education is better than ours? the same faggots that take 4 years to do a 3 years bachelors because their high school system leaves them so woefully unprepared for higher education that they need the freshman year to un-tard all their students?

are you a... are you a fucking Ameriboo user?

Attached: 8w73it4y9w8478jf.jpg (1440x1900, 782K)

It's a big university in an English-speaking country, is that so surprising? The CS department gets like a few hundred undergrad students per year so I doubt we knew each other.
If you were a freshman though I think the only way we could have met was if you were in my tutorial classes during ELA. What classroom did you go to for your ELA tutorials?

Those are actually the good modules IIRC. Internet Systems might be the biggest meme and it was taught by a pajeet but in my case there was no more good stuff left anyway, and while I could have learned the content from reading some articles and wikipedia I probably wouldn't have so it was decent. You might have to suffer through some stuff like WSDL, though.
You can change your mind, yeah - there's a form on the website to request module swaps, they should spam you with emails about it at some point. From what I heard it's not uncommon for students to go to a whole bunch of lectures during the first week or at the very most two, and then use that to make a final decision.
>C++
That module's great, it's 100% coursework (actually 105% coursework, if they didn't change it) and quite fun stuff.

Imagine being this delusional. Go look for a starbucks job ya onions-sucking numpty.

Attached: 20170331182814_1.jpg (282x613, 50K)

Horrible as a CS course.
Also those general studies are complete trash.

cs.washington.edu/academics/ugrad/courses/requirements

Rate my program

>it's not uncommon for students to go to a whole bunch of lectures during the first week or at the very most two, and then use that to make a final decision
Yeah, that's what they told us at the start of the first year as well IIRC, I just wasn't sure if they'd try to fuck us over.
>That module's great, it's 100% coursework (actually 105% coursework, if they didn't change it) and quite fun stuff.
Oh cool, that's a relief. Do you happen to remember what version of C++ they force students to use?
Either way, cheers for the info, user.

Software enginering and programming are not CS. Real CS will teach you maybe one language, most should be theory and math

shiiiiiet I can barely remember.
do you know the super long computer lab in the King's (not Strand) building? It has a small lounge type area next to it.
You had to turn right after entering through the Quad entrance to the King's campus and take the lifts next to the main hall to reach it.

C++11, which I guess is the only drawback. Still, 11 is a pretty small step down from 14/17, and 20 isn't properly out yet, so it's no big loss; once you're taught the fundamentals, picking up the newest syntactic sugar is just a matter of googling documentation anyway.
Anyway, if you want my advice - find some autists who you can get along with and who are actually doing well, and get ready to rope them in to do the 2nd year group project together. You need like 8 people and if you don't know anyone you're gonna be stuck with randoms and that is gonna be painful. I basically did the first few (smaller) group projects entirely by myself, but I lucked out on the group one - it would've been a huge pain to have to do everything myself again.

Is this true? Would amerimutts favour UK compSci grads over other countries? I need that +$100k capitalist cash.

I always mix those up, Strand is wide one facing the Strand and King's is the long one behind it and next to the Quad, right? If so then no luck, I had one in Strand and one in Bush Southeast.

Anyway if you dropped out of Y1 at King's your a fucking brainlet, it's not a paper degree but it's by no means an oxbridge PhD and in my first year I basically did nothing and got 95+%. I knew a few retardos who sounded like they couldn't comprehend anything in CS and they got like upper 70s.

I dropped out Y1 because I got a shitty development job and I'm a poorfag that doesn't need extra debt

>C++11
Okay good, I was worried they'd force us to use C++98, and like fuck am I dealing with that shit.
>if you don't know anyone you're gonna be stuck with randoms and that is gonna be painful
I'm already trying to make sure that doesn't happen. I got pretty badly fucked in my final programming coursework in year 1 since one of my team members decided he'd be the one to structure what everyone does, yet not bother to do any of his own work. I ended up doing most of it for him and flunked my portion of it. I didn't even see one team member in person at all.

Ok that's fair then can't blame you
>98
No, that's what I mean when I say it's a respectable degree. The lecture halls don't have desks and there's some other shitty stuff like that, but there's no downright retarded shit like technologies from the last millenium, the lab computers actually run CentOS, reports must be written in latex (none of those shitty stories you hear, especially from backwater US unis, of professors requiring word docs or something).
>Y1
Fuck Java btw. At least that coursework wasn't that important IIRC. The good news is that the Y3 project is solo, though honestly if you see a good professor you like it's worth thinking about it now, and then at the very start of Y3 act really fucking fast to choose and lock down your project with your supervisor of choice. I waited until closer to the "deadline" (which is only a few days so it doesn't seem like a lot) and my first choice had already marked all his projects as reserved.
But anyway that's in a year's time.

>poorfag londoner
>overseas education
>dropping out year 1 for a shitty job
>somehow meets the academic minimum for an alleged "good" uni
Something aint right

Attached: 1412896647757.gif (200x150, 683K)

>that's what I mean when I say it's a respectable degree
Yeah it's good to hear, it's just that I kept hearing the horror stories from god-awful universities, US or otherwise, that I just went in with a pessimistic mindset and expecting the worst.
>Fuck Java btw.
Fuck BlueJ though, that shit fucking froze if I typed too fast in it. Thank god GitHub student pack is a thing so I can just get Jetbrains IDEs.
>if you see a good professor you like it's worth thinking about it now, and then at the very start of Y3 act really fucking fast to choose and lock down your project with your supervisor of choice
Good to know, cheers.

>IDE
I did all my assignments in vim lmao
Up until the group project where I caved and downloaded Eclipse. Never again, and Java never again

They make you do that because CS is an arts & sciences degree and they make sure you round out your education with things like the humanities.

??? you confusing me with the OP?
I'm not a Londoner, I'm from a shitey wee town outside Glasgow and studied at KCL for a year and got a naff startup job in Scotland. Managed to progress from that to be at a much better company in Edinburgh now.
King's requirement was AAB, that's easy enough for anyone to achieve.

Attached: 9s2qtd59kgx11.jpg (447x447, 19K)

I remember writing notes in vim during the start of the year because I was trying to run solely linux on my computer, until I stopped caring and... well I just stopped taking notes in general, the shit was so basic that I mostly didn't need to bother.
Did you add any sort of IDE-like features like method lookup or autocomplete, or was it just bare vim? I might give it another shot for the hell of it.

you fucking wanker UK unis are fucking solid, stop sucking the yanks' cocks
you don't have to go to oxbridge or imperial college to make, there are loads of good unis here

Oh shit I'm a mong. Sorry man.
>Edinburgh
Nice mate! Bless ya; fuckin hell I WISH I could work up there.

Attached: mememmememememememe.png (500x371, 258K)

Really happy that I went to a great university in Germany. Not the biggest name, but top notch education.

>mfw got an offer into university of edinburgh
>mfw didn't get high enough grades and stayed in london instead
>mfw it worked out in my favour

Attached: 1528186520881.gif (510x516, 1.28M)

>go to america
>get massive student loans
>get degree
>return to home country
>don't pay back
Could it be done?

Is UCL considered top tier? Or good enough to get paid for and relocated to USA for a FANG job which is basically my goal.

No worries mate. Yeah I'm still at home in my little village so it's a bit of a commute but the city is lovely. Obviously salaries aren't London tier but not having to pay rent means I save a lot more than I would have if I stayed down south.
Nicest part is you get to escape to the stunning highlands or one of the Lochs for an evening or the weekend if you're feeling overworked and shit. Don't think I could have managed to live in London, I'd have to have been outside the M25 at the very least to keep my sanity intact.

Attached: Loch Lomond.jpg (2560x1440, 244K)

Best way to work in the US is to work for a company with UK / US offices and transfer internally through the company after a couple years of work. I have seen UK grads get American jobs straight out of uni but it's very rare since they'll have to sponsor your H1B process and most companies don't like doing that.
I mean, try reading up on how much difficulty international students who did their Bachelors' in the US have in finding a graduate job. These are people who went through their educational system and they're almost universally rejected almost instantly for not having a green card or citizenship.
The American green card system kinda pisses me off, it puts braindead third world codemonkeys on a level footing with American / European grads as long as they're not citizens of the US. It's literally a lottery rather than a meritocracy. The only way to ease up the process is if you did your masters' there.

And yes, UCL is very good, it's the tier below Oxbridge+Imperial.
Go apply to any of the banks / FAANMG offices in London and get a job with any of them. Give international applications a shot too though if you have a very impressive CV. Bear in mind you'll need to start applying at the start of your third year to start the H1B process so make sure you've padded your portfolio enough in your first 2 years and had a great internship to boot.

Ah, if only the world were a meritocracy.
Thank you user for the advice I had not really considered the whole visa thing.

This.

I'd also maybe add a linear algebra and a statistics course for someone who is specifically interested in machine learning.

Software Design degree not Computer Science

>No Computer Architecture
>No Computer Networking
>No Databases
>No Distributed Systems

surprised to even see operating systems

this sucks. It's a waste of money. This is what they are talking about when they say programmers can just learn on youtube and tutorial sites.

Attached: g.png (2298x327, 108K)

I kinda always fuck around with my vim. I know it wasn't bare but I don't quite remember what I had on there. Nowadays I use Ale, and my main job is JS (hopefully not for long) and it works pretty nicely for that, alongside eslint and other meme shit like that.
I've been wanting to switch to emacs for a while. I used it for a bunch of revision notes (during the last semester, in particular during the ML module; you're right that before that it's kind of a waste of time), using org-mode with inline latex for maths; but I still haven't gotten around to really getting used to it in a dev setting. (I run Linux full-time for uni and never looked back. Kept laughing at retards trying to figure out how to compile C++ on wangblows, or macfags with outdated builtin compilers and s*ybrew.)

That's the fucking life mate, you're doing good. I am thankfully not doing too bad financially but living in London makes me fucking dead inside. I still live with my parents because housing costs are a complete joke, but I'm not gonna move out until I complete my Master's at least.

I just wanna get some kind of setup that allows me to edit code entirely through a terminal, not having to exit vim constantly in order to switch between different files, being able to see what files have changed in git or just commit from vim entirely, general IDE conveniences like that. Maybe it'd be better to just stick to an actual IDE, but it'd be convenient to have a nice terminal option too.
Never heard of Ale, you happen to have any links for it?

>Kept laughing at retards trying to figure out how to compile C++ on wangblows
>just installed g++ and compiled a hello world
Good to know I just outsmarted graduates from the 12th top uni in the UK.

>not having to exit vim to switch files.
Bro NERDTREE will change your life. Look it up its a vim plugin.

>Bro NERDTREE will change your life
Damn, you weren't kidding. Cheers, dude.

>nerdtree
Not a good paradigm with vim's windows
Check out vinegar by tpope. Also check out fugitive for in-vim git.
Also I forgot to mention either YouCompleteMe or deoplete for better completions, and to actually make use of ALE.
>ale
literally google "vim ale", but since I'm already here, here you go github.com/w0rp/ale/tree/master/ale_linters

Sounds like you want emacs.