16-bit carbon nanotube RISC-V CPU

>MIT creates RV16XNano
>16bit opensource-RISC-V-architecture CPU with carbon nanotube transistors
THE FUTURE IS NOW

>New approach harnesses the same fabrication processes used for silicon chips, offers key advance toward next-generation computers.
>Research indicates CNFETs have properties that promise around 10 times the energy efficiency and far greater speeds compared to silicon.
>The microprocessor is based on the RISC-V open-source chip architecture that has a set of instructions that a microprocessor can execute. The researchers’ microprocessor was able to execute the full set of instructions accurately.

news.mit.edu/2019/carbon-nanotubes-microprocessor-0828

pastebin.com/j9D5MeeN

Attached: 1541033511991.jpg (639x426, 171K)

When can I buy one

>Jow Forums consumer electronics
I guess no one here cares or can understand actual technology

No one cares about tech that will never affect them
Bitch

>that will never affect them
fuck off back to /v/eddit

Attached: 1535899093427.jpg (622x820, 194K)

>THE FUTURE IS NOW
So far it turned out horribly shit even as a proof of concept.
It's just a subset of risc-v with only 15000 transistors. Running at 10kHz. Yes, TEN THOUSAND HERTZ. Also very power leaky.

So far
>have properties that promise around 10 times the energy efficiency and far greater speeds compared to silicon
doesn't hold up at all.

It has to be developed very fast to be any competition to silicon, and so far they're really crawling with this and have shit results.

>new technological breakthrough is not instantly ready for mass market

Attached: 1565726379444.jpg (403x448, 25K)

The problem is its not even a new technology at this point. If silicon was being developed at such rate, we'd only be entering the 8 bit era by now.

>16-bit RISC-V
Huh. I thought RISC-V only had 32, 64, and 128 bit specifications.

you're literally retarded, just go back to arguing about gayming consoles

From my understanding its 32bit internally but with 16 bit external buses

Do you think silicon started development as it is done nowadays?

Yes

If anything, with all the tools and technology available now, it should be much easier to develop this. That is, if carbon nanotubes actually ARE viable for integrated circuits.

Solution processes are going to bite them in the ass for this. Just look at the rate at which OLEDs versus organic solar cells kicked off. Despite all the shortcomings, OLEDs can be fabbed with conventional vacuum tech that dates to the earliest days of semiconductor processing at the correct scale. How are you gonna vacuum process CNTs? CVD graphene is the closest analogue technology and improvements on it are lacking.

do you even think?

CARBON NANOTUBES!????? Sign me the heck up!

Attached: dark_mode.jpg (356x423, 50K)

Wow they figured out how to spray carbon on a processor so they could jerk off about nanotubes. They basically had to start from scratch to find transistor designs and layouts that would work and so far its 100x worse than existing tech.

Carbon nanotubes are the thorium reactor of IC design. Reddit jerks themselves off over it while it continues to be vaporware.

>Carbon
so what about those batteries that last an eternity?

i don't give a shit about this scientific crap. show me some gaming benchmarks.

Of course, this board has been dead for more than 7 years now. Smartphones and vidya killed it forever, not even IDs can save this place.

>Thorium
People that don't know shit always talk about it, but I'm pretty sure we would be seeing them by 2029. The designs are here, all that's left is testing and funding.

CARBON NANOTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES

That's pretty cool. This, that crowd funded solar sail and nuclear fusion almost makes me feel hopeful about the future, almost.

Yeah I just come here to get tips on how to get a tech job and complain about browsers.

I come here to learn how to pick up chinese girls

In this technique, they attach certain metals to each transistor —platinum or titanium — which allows them to fix that transistor as P or N. Then, they coat the CNFETs in an oxide compound through atomic-layer deposition, which allows them to tune the transistors’ characteristics for specific applications.
expensive and error prone as hell

It's cool but pretty much everyone wants 64 but CPUs.

first time i heard the news i seem to recall it only being as fast as a 1950s processor. so we may get something in mass production that's usable within a few decades.

So it's a 386SX

it's only 10kHz

or the m68000

>modorola
kys newfag XD

based schizo poster

what did user mean by this

what did user mean by this

anime website