Desktop Environments

What desktop environment do you use and why?

Attached: rms.jpg (580x346, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytools.io/operating-systems/#win10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>xfce

Wanted "light" DE. Xfce sounds way cooler than lxde, so naturally I chose xfce

tried them all. plain openbox with tint2, xbindkeys and dunst is my choice. It ends up being simpler to use and just werking more than anything else.

KDE
Because every other DE lacks even the most basic features, while KDE has pretty much everything.
I've also spent a significant amount of time with Xfce because that's the DE I started my whole GNU/Linux adventure with, and god damn it's buggy as hell.

Deepin
>Has out of the box four finger gestures working
>Can take advantage of the full screen with dock unlike KDE and Cinnamon

Isn't Deepin a massive chink botnet?
I've heard reports of it being spyware, although admittedly I haven't looked into those reports very much.

Idk, I tried all of them and have KDE, Cinnamon and Deepin installed on Manjaro, switch between them often but have stuck with Deepin after discovering it has gestures

KDE with commonality theme is peak comf

Attached: 5D4AC5C3-51E0-4F48-89F7-DC4800393038.jpg (606x340, 215K)

windows

Fair enough, as long as it works.
I've looked into the spyware reports a little bit just now and it doesn't seem to be anything too concerning, and Deepin does look pretty nice as well so yeah why not I suppose.

Using MATE as it had more faithful Win9x theming.

Attached: serveimage(94).jpg (480x360, 17K)

Dynamic Window Manager (Wangblows)

Funny story about OP image, my friend posted a facebook post about some audio software circa 2013 and I was a freetard at the time, so I edited the OP pic with the logo of the software he mentioned.

Later on he came out as bisexual and introduced everyone to his boyfriend who was twice his age, so apparently me calling him a faggot was quite accurate.

OP, I do not use DE because I am cool guy! For me, it is gaps i3.

nice (the story I mean)
Why'd you stop being a freetard though, if you don't mind me asking?

>Basic telemetry is bad if it's collected by chinks
>Americans collecting more data is fine because I have no clue it's even happening

The only annoying thing about Plasma is the micro stutters and micro tearing it has with proprietary nvidia drivers. No clue why and there is no way to fix it apparently. It isn't noticeable normally but when watching videos or games fullscreen it is very noticeable.

Basically I just got tired of things being suboptimal for the cause of freedom. All desktop environments on Lunix are flawed in their own way, while you don't get a choice on Wangblows but at least the default works quite well.

I go through phases though, I used mainly Windows for a couple years, but earlier this year switched to using GNU/Linux almost exclusively until I reversed it once again and reinstalled Windows, where I'm at now.

You know you can run programs distributed with a DE without a DE, right?

Cinnamon (very minty) because it just feels and looks amazing.

I don't have anything against GNOME, and may return to it, but I am currently really enjoying cinnamon.

I don't. I use dwm.

XFCE because I feel for all the minimal tiling window manager memes and realised I was retarded and didn't want to do that, and had a pretty decent PC anyway
so I installed KDE, it took ages to load and I didn't need most of the features
the image viewer is also an image editor for example, fine if you want it, for basic stuff, but I don't
XFCE was more my level of what I wanted software to do, and I didn't have any screen tearing problems, it also loads much faster and doesn't feel like I'm doing it "wrong" by doing startx
I do still use sxhkd though, because I set up some stuff with it when I was using bspwm, and I don't see a reason to use something else when it still worked perfectly
but I did switch to gVIM
do you use mint? or are you using cinnamon on another distro?

FVWM95

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (1152x900, 30K)

I see, thanks for sharing.
I'm having similar experiences and am constantly alternating between Kubuntu and Windows 7, I perfectly understand what you mean.
Maybe Linux will finally be fully ready for the desktop at some point...
Maybe...
I really do hope it happens, as soon as possible preferably. Fuck Microsoft. Seriously.

KDE
Has the most options, and since I found out triple buffering causes the stutter, it's also really smooth.

Gnome. Started off with Ubuntu and I just got used to it. I tried out xfce4, lxqt, and i3-gaps but I kept coming back to gnome.

Attached: 1516928743834.png (1362x760, 1.07M)

KDE, because it is the best available

that clock is so ugly. Soooo ugly.

lmao that's unironically the reason I chose Xfce as my first DE
thought Xubuntu was some kind of leet version of Ubuntu because of the X

you chose it because its name sounds very similar to "feces"

Budgie. It has a fair amount of eye candy while not taking up a huge amount of resources. It’s simple and does what I want it to.

Xfce, might be placebo but it feels like it launches programs the fastest.

Attached: 1564707461456.jpg (1920x1080, 178K)

xfce not because I think it's the best or the fastest or whatever. just because I'm used to it and I'm long done distro or de hopping

LXQt:

>Want a different window manager?
Swap in a new one, with zero issues.

>Want a different compositor?
Swap in a new one, with zero issues.

>Want to use Window Maker dockapps?
No problem. The default WM (openbox) supports it OOTB.

>Want to only use Qt applications and remove all GTK software?
No problem. The DE doesn't have any GTK-related dependencies, because everything is done in quick and stable Qt.

>Want to take advantage of some KDE applications without installing all of KDE?
No problem. Slimmer KDE applications (like filelight, krename, ksystemlog, kde partition manager, kcalc, muon, and more) can be installed without worrying about dependency bloat.

>Want to theme the panel to your liking?
Modifying any of the included themes is a piece of cake, because qss/css is mind numbingly simple to work with.

Everything about it is modular, lightweight, and stable. Also the default text editor (Featherpad) is awesome, and doesn't choke on huge files.

>What desktop environment do you use
The nice proprietary combo Explorer/Desktop Window Manager/User32.
>and why?
Because it comes with Windows, and it works very well.

i3 because for me, it just werks
Xfce if I want something fancy.

i3 can be fancy too

Attached: X230.png (1366x1536, 1.68M)

Xfce just doesnt have any animations and effects by default thats y its "fast"

desu I don't know what they're talking about, i3 is the cleanest wm I've used

If I want a full fledged DE, Budgie is my favorite. It's snappy, looks beautiful, and just works.
Usually though, I end up using FrankenWM or Openbox with elements taken from LXQT or XFCE.

For my lower-end system I just use a WM, usually Window Maker.
WMs aside, I've for long been a hardcore KDE user. However, yesterday when I reinstalled Devuan I decided to try out another desktop.
Cinnamon seems quite comfy. Not as good as KDE, but I'm happy that the GTK side finally has something decent.

Attached: cinnamon.png (1366x768, 162K)

>Cinnamon 4.0
>not 4.2
>not embracing systemD and getting the latest version of the #cinnamon #desktopenvironment with Linux [sic] Mint

b-but linux mint has unbased propietary softwre

Sway because it's actually usable wayland.

is this b8 samefagging or you two retards are just really fond of sucking eachother off in a creepy and faggy way?
what a fucking reddit conversation

hol up

KDE because its fucking nice to use

>"NOOOOOO STOP BEING NICE TO EACH OTHER AND HAVING A PRODUCTIVE CONVERSATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And I'm not samefagging. Eat shit and die.

>thinks that we're samefagging instead of having a normal conversation on 4channel.org
whatever this "reddit" is that you seem to know a lot about, maybe it would be better if you went back there.

Use touchegg on any wm to get gestures.

Windows 10, because I'm not a fuckin nerd

Are you aware of the privacy implications that come with using Windows 10?
See privacytools.io/operating-systems/#win10 as an example.
You don't have to be a nerd to care about your most basic human rights.

KDE is the only full-bloat DE left, which is why I use it.
It's also surprisingly snappy, stable and well designed.

This.
GNOME doesn't even have mouse acceleration settings available without installing additional shit.
Sometimes bloat is good.