/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: old graphics card battle.png (1922x1878, 1.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/whMTwP/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus
youtube.com/watch?v=i-w5VcWe9p4
pcpartpicker.com/list/NQyBfH
youtube.com/watch?v=mUS3zx0DlHg
pcpartpicker.com/list/GkbY6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

QLC SSD

i just bought a powercolor red dragon rx 580 8GB for $100.
how did i do?

Whats wrong with this Motherboard?

pcpartpicker.com/product/whMTwP/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus

>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
Another example of a PC only game that doesn't run well on Radeon cards.
>V56 below 1070 and 1660Ti
>580 slightly below 1060 and 970
Worth noting that this game uses Unreal, which has been historically unfavorable to Radeon relative to Geforce.

>inb4 muh fake benchmark because it doesn't fit my narrative
>inb4 shit game no one cares

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-30 Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey тест GPU CPU RPG Ролевые Тест G (720x855, 54K)

Does anyone have a G.Skill 32gb (2x16) 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 kit? Like the F4-3200C14D-32GTZ or the Ripjaws with the same specs?

Are you able to run them at 3600mhz 16-16-16-36 at stock voltage? Or which voltage do you use? Are you able to push it to 3733mhz @ 16-16-16-36?

I don't think it'll be $1000. 1000 euro is just a pre-order overcharging price to cover what it might possibly be and they'll refund the difference.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if it's like $300 for the "base" model which is basically the current gen console, and $550-$750 for the real high end model.

new? nice
used? so-so.

>but i need 200fps for my walking simulator!!
>according to a FAKE BENCHMARKS site
great dude fuck off

What's a good version of the 2080 super?

Attached: 1525763376195.gif (200x200, 222K)

I literally inb4'd your greentext. I'm smart; you're not. Here's 1440p results
>RVII below 1080

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-30 Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey тест GPU CPU RPG Ролевые Тест G (720x855, 53K)

is the b450 tomahawk a good board for a 3700x?

5800XT

how much should I ask for asus strix 1070 O8G?
also the 1600x.
and how expensive are wraith spires from 3600x?
I hate selling my old hardware.

Attached: 5252142525.png (2560x1440, 3.89M)

I built a pc 72 hours ago, still haven't played any games yet.
1st day was building, cable management and getting windows running.
Yesterday was updating windows, installing ryzen and radeon drivers, downloading games and benchmarks.
I'm planning on running the benchmarks today, but is there anything else I should do before diving into the vidya? Also how do I get the CPU and GPU stats overlay like the tech youtubers, when I run them i dont get the block letters and digits that go up and down.
Dont mind the living room mess, the pc is only there cause I don't have a powerline adapter for my room yet

Attached: JPEG_20190829_144910.jpg (4032x3024, 3.04M)

Bestest CPU for a small homeserver/NAS?
Is intel still the low power king or does AMD have something already too?

What case is that?

>wraith spires from 3600X
Worth less than the Wraith Spire from the 2600X because AMD removed the copper vapor chamber
youtube.com/watch?v=i-w5VcWe9p4

>how much should I ask for...
Check ebay sold listings

I was planning to get a 1TB Saumsung 860 Evo, but then I saw that I could get an Intel 660p for about 30 bucks cheaper and supposedly much faster. What is it that makes the 860 cost $30 more? Is it worth it if my PC will mainly be used for just general use and gaming?

Matrexx 55 white with the rgb strip

Did you fix the driver issues? You posted a picture where everything was green.

Are 9700k's on sale today or is the sale just for prebuilts and laptops?

The 860 EVO is a SATA SSD in a M2 form factor, basically the same like any regular SSD, unless you have no SATA ports left there's no reason to get one of those.
The 660p is a PCIe one, hence it gets much faster speeds.
The intel one has a much lower life expectancy, 200 terabytes writes instead of samsungs 600 terabytes.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NQyBfH

will do some programming/light gaming on it with gpu upgrade later
should I go with 3400G instead?
thoughts?

Better off buying a QNAP or Synology if need to buy everything and repurpose old hardware. (Also NAS oses suck)

* can't repurpose

Yeah it just needed a restart, probably since I connected it to the TV instead of the proper 1440p monitor.
Speaking of, holy shit it's hard getting used to such a big screen. Had to increase discord and chrome size to 150% to be able to read anything

3400g is just a slightly overclocked 2400g

You know what else is big? [spoiler]My heart, I love you! :)[/spoiler]

>Also how do I get the CPU and GPU stats overlay like the tech youtubers, when I run them i dont get the block letters and digits that go up and down.
youtube.com/watch?v=mUS3zx0DlHg

I was planning to get the normal SATA 860 actually. I'm not to familiar with ssd life expectancy, but I assume the 660p will still last me a good few years, right? I'll probably go for that, and hope that I'm in a better state financially when I have to replace it

Attached: file.png (1500x1000, 1.18M)

I'd rather have full system and hardware control.
I'm using it as a docker CI/CD and web server on debian and I don't want to tinker around with drivers to get a normal OS going on these premade boxes.
The current hardware is from 2011 and slowly falling apart.

Why are parts of the PSU cables covered in thick rubber? It makes it a real pain in the ass to do a clean build and sleeved cables are fucking expensive, a set of a few cables is more than my $100 PSU. The 24 pin is especially bad since there is a massive chunk of rubber stopping you from feeding it through the cutouts and bending it properly.

Attached: 18-10-Pin-to-20-4Pin-24Pin-ATX-Power-Supply-Cable-Sleeved-for-Seasonic-FOCUS-PLUS.jpg_640x640q70.jpg (640x640, 39K)

the 3400g uses zen+ architecture, not the new zen2. so the performance increase over the 2400g is negligible. plus the graphic chip is the same.

also, again

DO NOT buy a 660p. It only performs well when the drive is empty or the benchmark is short. If you fill the drive more it will literally be slower than a hard drive. The write endurance is so low that if you're a heavy user you could actually wear it out before you want to replace it.

Is 1660ti worth to spend $80 more than 1660 GDDR5? All of the games I've checked on 1660 so far run just fine for me (1080p@60, casual/non-competitive gayming) so I don't really see the point in paying more. Maybe it will matter in the long run, but by that time I'd probably just upgrade to something with more vram

Attached: 1554846914917.jpg (750x750, 33K)

Do the 5700s actually suffer from driver issues, or is this just the old AMD driver meme? If so, what kind of issues do people experience? Are the issues consistent? Are the issues specific to the 5700s or so they affect Vega/R9/R7/etc as well?
I've been watching these threads from time to time and I can't people actually have a poor experience or if it's just that Sacrifice autist spamming shit here.

Attached: 1420587546349.jpg (500x375, 35K)

1660ti GDDR6*

Every time I've bought a lower end card than I could afford I regretted it.

I have a custom NAS too but I love my Synology. Only problem I could think of is If something goes wrong with it, I need to send it to someone to fix it, but the DSM is an amazing OS for a NAS. I would never replace it with something like freenas. It is stable, easy to use and can run VMs and Docker too.

You simply can't build something as low power as a prebuilt though. I used my old i5-650 and lowered the clocks to 1.8GHz, the whole system still draws around 80watts from the wall (GPU around 10w at idle, but I could run it without one I guess).

I love you too bro
Shiet I knew I was missing something, speaking of MSI, I wish the startup screen and bios/uefi wasnt so ugly, it's all grey and shit. I see pictures and videos of others bios's and they have a nice amalgamation of red black and grey, but mines just uggo.

Anyone owns or knows anything about Colorful GPUs? Are they okay to buy or I should just go for a non chink brand?

Attached: 8493237_1.jpg (500x500, 111K)

Is an aftermarket cooler for the 3700x a necessity or is it just for people doing overclocking?

went with this psu just to be safe for later, even tho 450W should hold up even with a gpu
and why is crucial org.skill ram better with ryzen?
anyways thanks for the contribution

Totally fine reliability wise and the cooler looks nice and chunky.
Mostly for overclocking or a quieter system.

The stock cooler is loud as f.

How reliable is MSI for GPU?

Don't have any experience with the brand and looking to get the 2070s gaming trio.

Attached: msi.jpg (1280x960, 113K)

Set the fan curve to only rise above 80° you'll only take a small performance hit.

Yes, 2400G is also fine. I was doing basic PS2 emulation (Kingdom Hearts, IIRC) with a much worse CPU/GPU. The PS2 is a weak system by today's standards, so even toasters should emulate it fine.

Any recommendations?

It's good as long as you don't buy the armor cards.

>why is crucial or g.skill ram better with ryzen?
i've seen a lot of people claiming they had problems with corsair ram on ryzen systems. apparently an issue with the memory controller. also, crucial and g.skill ram should have better OC capabilities, what you should definitely try to make use of when using a ryzen.
haven't had any experience with corsair ram myself though tbc

That was mostly a problem shortly after the Zen 1 release. These days it runs fine but it won't overclock as far as b die etc. I have the same kit and it runs at 3200mhz on a 1700.

None of them are good. It's a bad GPU.
Get the 2080Ti Kingpin, HOF, or Lightning.

Fine

Some people say the stock cooler ramps up loudly, and others say it is quiet. Try it and see.

> ask for asus strix 1070 O8G?
$200, take $180.
>also the 1600X
idk $80-$100?
>and how expensive are wraith spires from 3600x?
uhhh kind of worthless? maybe $5? You can get a better cooler for around $18 new.

No thanks, I like my performance.
I have a dark rock 4, keeps it around 65 degrees while gaming and ha no sound at all.

I need motherboard recommendation for a 3700x that isn't like $200. Are gigabyte trash now?

ok good to know

4400g when
I just want to play in 900p for the rest of my life with no worries while spending pennies

The aorus master is like the best x570 board in its price range.

3400G has better clocks, but it's slightly more expensive (20 dollars).

As someone who *has* a 2400G, you should be careful with what you consider "light gaming." It will depend on the game, the quality of the Raven Ridge drivers that your OS has, and other small factors. You'll be perfectly fine with indie/2D games, for instance, and all sorts of emulation. But anything more complicated will make even 720p gaming stressful (e.g. for some titles, minimum/low graphics settings hitting like 70FPS max). In other words, don't take the "APU" designation and other hype for Vega 11 being so significantly better than integrated video: it _is_ better, but it has its limits. And keep in mind that 4c/8t with the 2400/3400 clocks isn't terribly impressive, either, although it's still definitively a "modern" CPU compared to those of 2015 and earlier.

If I had to do it again, I would've waited and just got a 1600/2600 with a used RX 570 in one swoop.

Also, I'd personally say that the APUs are ideal for a setup that has no real potential for upgrades (e.g. someone who doesn't need to game in the future, or a simple HTPC). They're less than ideal if you have bigger plans, I think.

No difference in performance unless you're overclocking.
You might find that it's too loud for your taste though.
Since the 3700x comes with a stock cooler anyways I'd suggest that you just try the stock cooler to see if the noise bothers you.
You can still buy an aftermarket cooler then.

What is the best GPU for visual novels? :3

Attached: IMG_20190830_205757.jpg (4000x2250, 2.9M)

Why? It's just that I might as well get 2060 in that case because it costs only $40-50 more than 1660ti where I live, but I don't want to spend a lot on 6GB vram cards

Isn't the 5700 a much better buy at that price?

VRAM doesn't matter much now that every game uses a streaming pool. Maybe 8GB is useful at 4K.

Bros, I want to buy a second hand GPU. it still has 1 year of guarantee left but the current owner says he never got a physical ticket for his own purchase as it was all done digitally, how is the guarantee supposed to work in such a case?

200GE

Many games use over 6GB at 1440p. Ignore the psyops "it's just utilization" boogeyman lie.

Well yeah, but they are blower types. Sapphire Pulse is the only 2 fans AIB available here and it's $450 for regular non-xt 5700

I run high end games at 1440p on my 4GB GTX 980. Every game uses a streaming pool. The worst you can get is slightly blurry textures or pop in.

>Only two fan
Please, stop watching jewtube.

>Many games use over 6GB at 1440p
>he doesn't understand allocation
No, they don't. Stop perpetrating the muh VRAM meme. Also I've heard that if you take your meds, the boogeymen will disappear.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-27 Control тест GPU CPU Action FPS TPS Тест GPU(1).png (720x636, 27K)

haven't kept up with new releases since i built my rig back in 2014

is DDR4 still stupid expensive?

not really

Didn't say they literally won't run.
Yes, you get blurrier textures.

>please google search prices for me

Blower is fine for a low power card like the 5700. Same noise levels as your average 2060.

ASUS PG279Q or ACER Predator XB271HU?

Attached: maff.png (993x765, 672K)

It's mostly spamming. There are a few issues, though. I've blue screened twice from trying to watch 8k 60fps videos on chrome. It may just be something relating to chrome because I haven't been able to recreate it when watching the same videos on waterfox. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with games I've played; which are MH World, Mordhau, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Doom, and Breath of the wild on Cemu.

I posted yesterday, but I fell asleep.

I have a 1700x, GTX 1080, and 32 gigs of ram. I'd like to make a foray into 4k gaming. Would it be worthwhile to buy another 1080 and SLI them? I have a 750W psu so I think I could handle the power draw. However, I have 5 drives and some fans hooked up.

I was not going to do this until 4k monitors drop under 250, and 1080s, used would be about 200. I mainly play classic WoW and Warframe and I'd love to see Warframe especially in 4k.

so you would say i would be better off saving up a bit more and going with something like this:
(if I would like play games also)

pcpartpicker.com/list/GkbY6s

Sounds ridiculous to me and I don't see why some people feel the need to make it their mission in life (or payroll for all I know) to try and convince me not to buy amd gpus. I haven't had a single issue with Radeon drivers in over ten years, because I've only bought Nvidia.

prebuilt NAS are a fucking scam

the hardware is shit. Better off getting server grade hardware and using freeNAS or similar

that would be a nice fast rig

It used to be red/black/grey but they had to strip it down to fit in the 16MB flash once Ryzen 3000 came out, since MSI cannot into firmware optimization.

Does newegg ever restock on Friday?

It suffers from the usual level of new launch driver problems. RTX drivers had issues for months as well.
It's being conflated with AMD driver meme by trolls. AMD driver has been generally good the past 2 years.

Neat.
Keep an eye out on RX590 prices. I saw one on newegg for $190 a few days ago. Their RX500 card prices are all being fucky.

Yes. Note that you can save money by getting a used 570 or 580 on ebay or wherever.

I've had good amd driver experiences ever since my 6950.

nah, I know its stupid, but I dont like to buy used stuff for my personal things

Someone just posted a build in this thread or the last where the 590 nitro+ was only $170 or $180.

RX 5600 is coming next month too afaik.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/GkbY6s
Build is fine except for the awful SSD.

7970 drivers were shit for me with the cursor issue and some crashes. But since 2017 they've been really good and stable, up until Vega launch and Navi launch for a short period.

What kind of framerates are you getting in MHW, and at what settings? I'm looking forward to playing that.

lol
I've been running a 290x for the last 5 or 6 years without issue. I had nothing but nvidia prior, experiencing consistent blue screens on the geforce 4200 and total hardware failures on my 8800gt (soldering issue, 10 minutes in the oven bought me another 3 months) and gtx470 (2 RMAs to get a working card). The 7900gs was the only nvidia card I've owned that actually worked well. I'm a bit skeptical as a result of personal experience, especially considering I was hearing the ATI/AMD driver meme constantly when I was looking into the 290x as well.

I'm looking for a new monitor. Preferably, I want to stay at 1440p because of budget reasons, but I want to upgrade to 144hz and have Adaptive Sync/GSync. Best monitors that fit into that criteria?

Maybe so, but that's almost twice the price he limited it to.

true, forgot about that, someone recommended the mx500 It does seem better

So besides playing games and running tests in preparation for the red devil, what else can I do with this reference blower xt I have?
When I was sleeping I had a really odd idea to use the current GPU to mine some coin and then use the 1st no questions asked amazon return once I manage to snag a red devil.

Jews on ebay are scalping 5700xts hard, should I buy one and return it at 30 days to make them lose money?

Devilish. I like it.

Any recommendations for a 2TB internal HDD? Not actually building a computer, just want some additional storage

On 7/7/2019 the 5700 XT non aib will drop to $399.
Pair this with $200 water cooler and it's equal value to the red devil 5700 XT.
I might get the blower after all.
So glad all the AIB have been out of stock forcing me to wait.

I might be one to take opinions from due to my low experience in the pcmc realm, but I honestly dont see what's wrong with the 5700 xt blower.
Other than the initial bump from driver green screening, its run great so far.
While gaming, performance is great and the fan isnt that loud. Hell even during the furmark stress test the fans weren't louder than the ambient noise of my house. Only at 80-100 senpai speed using afterburner was the noise noticeably annoying for me, no argument for that literal jet engine.
Enjoying dmc5 at 1440p 144hz and looking for other games I've never gotten the chance to play due to my peasantry.

Attached: RKN35tB.gif (241x328, 3.89M)

I saw a review on eBay for a blower 5700 xt at $800 kek
Kind of makes me want to try selling to retards

Literally all the non shitty cards are out of stock.

PC building got to be the worst fucking meme ever.

Attached: Letmelivemyfantasy_e52820b6b425bf09cfa23c307dd1afb9.jpg (749x736, 92K)

Looking for a 27-32" 4K monitor under $1000 USD. Used for movies, some gaming, and general productivity (design work), so good color & contrast would be awesome.

Yes, I know QHD is cheaper/better, but I'm looking for 4K. Fuck up my wallet, dudes.

Attached: monitor.png (295x295, 91K)