Should I use a big tv as a monitor?

Should I use a big tv as a monitor?

Attached: t3_4p757y.jpg (1080x1420, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/cJfhP6/lg-43ud79-b-425-3840x2160-60hz-monitor-43ud79-b
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There’s no real disadvantages other than it may be too big

The disadvantage is it can kill your eye and you need to be a good meter or two away from the screen to not fuck with your eye.

maybe if you're metres away from your computer but very close they will look very blurry maybe even at 4k as the pixel density decreases to make the monitor larger for the same resolution, and they typically have poor colour reproduction and response times/input lag even by shit monitor standards

no

yeah if you want to, why not?
just do it

I would suggest buying a TV as a SECOND monitor for media consumption like streaming videos, playing video games, ect. Not as your primary monitor for stuff like web browsing or programming. I recommend buying a big TV just for shit like that just because they're so cheap now.

You can get a decent 55 inch 4k tv for just like $300 now. A few years ago you could only get a 32 inch at that price.

I could see a 43" being used as a monitor without too many problems on the average desk, but a 50" would require a much deeper desk, so the problem has more to do with the physical dimension required for a comfortable PC setup using a TV.

Other than that the TVs of today are often of higher quality than most consumer monitors so image quality wise they are sufficient. I think with the introduction of HDMI 2.1 having high refresh rate support and latency comparable to monitors the distinction between TV and monitor is largely going to be novel. Should expect widespread adaptation of TVs as desktop monitors going forward.

Damn that's awesome , just a bit to close for comfort....

uuummm but think about the fps and the screen tear bro
in all seriousness, if you're not too close to the screen yeah, go for it

he just wants to see them desktop babes appear on his taskbar

Yes.

Attached: 1556325486350.jpg (3648x2056, 3.12M)

>Tfw had a 40" screen as my monitor since 2013
>Tfw broke the panel yesterday
>Tfw using a 22" screen i borrowed from my workplace
>Tfw it's like looking at a calculator

Feels bad man, I must buy a new screen as soon as possible

Attached: IMG_20190830_213231.jpg (3542x2943, 2.12M)

What did you do lol

I use a 49'' 4k x900f at about 2 feet away. I've been using big TV's as monitors for years now and would never go back to normal monitors for a primary display. HDMI kind of sucks because you're stuck at 4k@60hz and you have to use custom text scaling to make text readable which can mess other things up. I only game maybe 10 minutes a year so I can't comment on the "input lag" but I didn't notice any even on my TV which has a high response time.

Imagine being this stupid.
There is a lot of difference in how a monitor and a TV are made, it isn't only about the resolution and size, computer interfaces look like shit on any TV.

Not thread topic but related: what's the cheapest way to stream from my laptop to my TV wirelessly?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Have you not used a TV in the last decade?
There is almost nothing a monitor can do that a TV can't

if you are on Windows 10 and have Intel (not sure about AMD) you can connect your display wirelessly and use it as a second monitor.

I meant my TV isn't a smart TV. Which stick is cheapest?

>There's no real disadvantages
Slower refresh rate and unless you're using 4k you're going to see the individual pixels.

>Should I use a big tv as a monitor?
No.

>Meter
An arms length away should be fine a bit further for TV's tho

Any TV worth getting is already 4K, 1080p is a thing of the past at this point
High refresh rate 4K is still rare in monitors so I’m not seeing the point

Get a tv with high refresh rate and low latency

BASED BOOMER SHITPOSTING HIS CROSSWORDS ON THE BIG SCREEN

Roku or Chromecast I guess, I have no idea on the capabilities of these things to stream from a laptop other than trough programs like Plex.

I have an arms length for my 27 inch monitor. and its about the right distance. For 40 inch, its 1.5 arms length. That's roughly a meter. For 50 inch, its 2 arms length. And so on.

Thanks

pcpartpicker.com/product/cJfhP6/lg-43ud79-b-425-3840x2160-60hz-monitor-43ud79-b
>not just getting a big monitor

Attached: 1558392742429.jpg (175x175, 7K)

Noice

Attached: 1567203443370.jpg (3268x2738, 1.12M)

These types of monitors used to be $700-800
At ~$500 it isn’t too bad, a TV of the same price would still get you HDR and I would still say is a better buy if you are more media focused while the LG would be a better option for productivity

not unless youre like that guy and cant see shit

You can use custom resolution tools to make the x900f capable of 1440p 120hz without any artifacts, I have the x900c because I'm a 3d fag, it can 1080p 120hz with artifacts, so give it a shot user.

Attached: 1567123885414.gif (500x281, 343K)

If you take a EMF Meter reading of a device like that up close. The reading it gives off should detour you alone. Unless you want to increase your chances of cancer by what 200%?

Attached: 51KKPlBbi-L._SL1229_.jpg (993x1229, 51K)

You'd be surprised how much larger and clustered items put out EMF

Attached: 156de767-3519-458d-8a04-5d7d14ac892c._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg (970x600, 491K)

If you want to burn your corneas out, sure.

>big tv as monitor
I've tried to use a 32" TV as a monitor before. Such a big screen, right in your face, is simply uncomfortable. Don't go past 24"-27", unless you intend to set it from a distance.

if you are sasquatch, yes, otherwise it's a waste of electricity

Attached: squash.jpg (736x985, 135K)

So, it seems we've very thoroughly established using a TV on your desk is a bad idea.

What about using a TV for PC gaming where you'd be sitting on a couch four or five feet away?

Attached: x9t6.gif (360x244, 706K)

that 50 or 60hz gonna do some damage bro? How does it work? Or are most of these devices powered by DC and no worries?