/tpg/ - Twinkpad General~

Anniversary Edition

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpad-anniversary-25-100738017-large.jpg (700x491, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.es/Lenovo-ThinkPad-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B01LOOBATA/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=thinkpad&qid=1567250847&rnid=1703620031&s=computers&sr=1-5
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.amazon.es/Lenovo-ThinkPad-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B01LOOBATA/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=thinkpad&qid=1567250847&rnid=1703620031&s=computers&sr=1-5&sandbox=1
download.lenovo.com/eol/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where are my fuckin W500 drivers. Fuckin chinks and their planned obsolescence bullshit.

Install GNU/Linux instead of Winblows and it just werks.

user what about using loonix like a good /tpg/poster

Just ordered a Latitude E5450 (i5-5300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" 1080p) including a docking station for 230€
Was it a good deal?

Loonix just werks when you only use for it animu and ricing.

No, it just werks if you're not sub-80IQ and don't have brown skin.

Best windows 10 thinkpads? Is there even such a thing?

>ULV meme
>not a T420 with 3630QM

user...

T440s runs anything and everything
>macOS
>REESD
>loonix
>wangbloze

Get a desktop for your vidya.

does anyone have a tablet twinkpad? If you do do you think it is better or worse than a non touch twinkpad? and if you think its better, than why do you like it more?

you can flip it and mess around with it and it's pretty cool

they're sturdy so don't worry about durability

t. X200t user

Just got my T450 with a 1080p IPS screen to replace my old X230 because the screen on my X230 was so shit that it's borderline unusable and I wanted a bigger screen. And man, the T450 feels a hundred times more high quality and premium than my X230 and I didn't even get the S model.

The T450 feels lighter than the X230 as well, even though the T450 weighs a pound more than the X230. Am I just hallucinating? I assume it's because the weight is more spread out on the T450 because it's bigger?

my x240 with LUKS encryption (activated during installation) takes ages to decrypt on boot. can i somehow fix this without lowering the iterations?

Typical linuxfag cope. Go fuck yourself with a dragon dildo. I know you have one.

If I wanted it for "vidya" I wouldn't be using 8.1

I run Windows 10 on my X61t and its fantastic. Flashed the modded bios, disabled telemetry/indexing/defender/scheduled tasks + ssd
Turn on the tablet mode, and no other x86 OS can compare. I actually like it more than my X230T because the 4:3 screen feels less constrained when using the stylus

I should try that in my X201t.

guys im buying a meme thinkpad (i have a lenovo g40-70 , i5 4th gen). a friend have one thinkpad E460 i7 on $330 what can i do? wait fot a X460? a carbon? or can i buy this E series? please help!!!in my shitty country a E460 its a $500 or moreI only need video-edition on the fly (i have other high end pc for that), python, penetration testing and Archlinux daily things

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

Wondering if my T430 will powerful enough for my CS studies since I'm required to use Windows 10, currently running Fedora and it's working just fine for programming and browsing, 12GB/i5/SSD

Considering picking up a used X1 Carbon though

>Windows 10 on my X61t
>tablet mode
Last I tried tablet buttons did not work, was it ever fixed?

help, I installed XP SP2 on T42, and USB seems dead
It might actually be broken, as I did not have any luck booting from usb stick
how2confirm/fix?
I can see USB2.0 hubs and shit on device manager, lights on stick turn on but nothing else happens

>Anniversary Edition
Is it actually any good, ignoring the price? I really want somewhat modern laptop with that type of keyboard.

I want a laptop to run stuff like backyard EOS and do some photo editing on the go I have always liked thinkpads likely dual boot win10/Ubuntu.
Main concerns are battery life and screen size/IQ also not having to worry about it being banged around in a backpack like all these shitty super thin laptops that are all the rage today

What are my options that are under 1000$ cheaper is better because I dont really need a desktop replacement just something I can work with in the field

I just bought an x131e with an i3 3227u for 90 bucks.
Scratched to hell on the outside but I fucking love it. Thick clamshell with a rubberized edge around the entire thing to keep it safe. Almost no fan sound. And access to components are a single panel underside with 2 screws.

What about older x1 carbons? Not the one with the touch strip function keys tho

Should I use thinkvantage stuff?
system update on windows?

What drivers are missing? I'm gonna be a cancerous pleb and suggest Driver Booster; Lenovo is so generic these days that you might get all your drivers covered with standard ones.

I'm not sure why you would need better than Sandy Bridge for CS studies.
My cancerous Asus X401A with a dual-core B970, 4GB of RAM and a pitiful 120 GB SanDisk SSD does wonders; I divided the SSD between Xubuntu and Windows 10 LTSC. Everything just works.
I intend to install an i5-2520m to get VT-x. I will upgrade to the maximum 8 GB of RAM and this will be nice.
I wish I could get an inexpensive T430 here in Hueland.

First use it to charge a phone; this way you can test the power (and mayhaps explode your phone, be careful).

p1 gen 2 no xeons still fuck i hoped they'd have them for labor day

literally install gentoo

>Not the one with the touch strip function keys tho
are you memeing or are the new thinkpads actually black macbooks running windows

would an ivy bridge cpu work in xx20 thinkpad?

Attached: 1484107276602.jpg (362x346, 38K)

Should I go for a x230 or x240? I already have a t430 and I love it but I'd like something a little more portable

xx40 a shit, get either the X230 or save up for X250

ty

Then install Gentoo.

Fuck off with your Twinkpad OP bullshit, hopefully someone makes a new thread that's not Discord tranny. Keyboard was just ripped out of x200, ordered a new one. What I'm wondering, if I should do the AFFS screen upgrade while I'm replacing. Anyone with exp?

upgrading it is easy, but postage might not be

Hmm thanks.

With Coreboot, yeah.

what's the best older thinkpad for blender (character modelling)?

T440p with a quad core

/tpg/ i'm looking for a thinkpad for browsing the internet, basic office programs (word and excel or equivalents) and light programming. i game a bit but just whatever is fine, right now i only have rome total war on my shitty laptop.
i don't mind thin or bulky since i would either use it around the house or just move it from house-car-hotel if traveling.
i'm willing to pay $600max, i'm sure there's something cheaper for my needs but for something good that's how high i'm willing to go.
a nice display would be good.

what thinkpad am i looking for, /tpg/?

Anyone else having problems with fan noise w/ T420 on linux? Drives me nuts

The cheapest and easiest way to install it?

See

Is the W540 worth it or should I go for a t440p and upgrade it?

What do you think about the newest series? T490 (i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) for 1.3k?

>more expensive
>off centered keyboard due to numpad
If you want the larger screen, go for it.

if you're looking for new thinkpad t480 is better than t490

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>NOOOO, YOU CAN'T BUY AN E495, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY TWICE FOR BUILD QUALITY
kek, I'll have me a brand new ThinkPad with a Ryzen 3500U in under $500.

Attached: 1554645348243.jpg (785x731, 101K)

either try cleaning them or repasting the CPU or try to make a better fan curve in Linux. The xx20 runs a bit hot in general in my experience so you can trade noose for heat

>Just got my T450 in the mail
>About to replace the hard drive
>One of the screws on the bottom panel is completely worn out and I can't get it out
This is the last time I listen to you retards about how it's just as safe to buy used as it is to buy refurbished

And yes, I've tried using a rubber band so now I have to fuck off to the hardware store to buy a screw extractor kit

how much thermal paste do I need to apply to repaste the X250 CPU? How or do I have to remove the residue from the previous paste?
And my fan is doing a really annoying high pitch noise whenever it's spinning, but the fan appeara to be clean, what could be the issue?

Attached: IMG_20190824_224856.jpg (600x800, 53K)

So the audio on my T520 internal speakers stopped working suddenly, I can hear a faint static sound coming from the speakers. I bought a new set of the internal speakers with a new cable included and installed it, but the result is the same. Any ideas?

I want room for 2 hard drives and it's gotta play new vegas. What do I buy?

Why did they switch from the old keyboard?

What comes after the xx90 series, xx100?

Attached: 3D3A9B6F0B34481391EAA9CECF5B2C4B.jpg (697x893, 79K)

I'm thinking of getting a t440p. There are plenty of i5 ones on ebay for super cheap, but they mainly have 1366x768 screens.

Is it easy to replace the panel with a 1920x1080 one, or are there any problems I should expect?

Who knows. Maybe the chiclet style is easier to put backlight into.

There was an older x1 catch that had a touch strip instead of real function keys before the MacBook did. Like 4 or 5 years ago.

3 mins job, just pry the bezel using your finger nails and 4 screws.

thickness

they do
at least with the latest ltsc

I wanna repaste my x230t but I'm worried about taking it apart all the way and breaking something. I did the classic keyboard mod and I had to kind of jam it in (looks fine though) so I'm also worried I won't be able to get it in again if I take it out now.

Also are there any real benefits to coreboot? I don't care about bios whitelists and such and I don't really care about freetardism.

Yea or Nay?
Lenovo ThinkPad T430 3rd Gen 14-Inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel i5-3320M CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro) (Refurbished. 1 year Amazon warranty)

I used the pen input for drawing sometimes, it's pretty decent though it's way off at the edges. Never found a use for the rotation thing. They come with IPS screens by default which is a big plus, but you can't do a screen mod on them.

I'm kind of ambivalent on it since I don't really use the tabletty features. Definitely would prefer my x230t to a normal x230, but an x230 with a display mod might be better. Also note that at least the x230t uses a different battery from the x230.

Forgot link (in Spanish)
amazon.es/Lenovo-ThinkPad-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B01LOOBATA/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=thinkpad&qid=1567250847&rnid=1703620031&s=computers&sr=1-5

In English
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.amazon.es/Lenovo-ThinkPad-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B01LOOBATA/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=thinkpad&qid=1567250847&rnid=1703620031&s=computers&sr=1-5&sandbox=1

How do I improve the wifi signal on my t440? It has the intel 7260n adapter and two internal antennas. Can I fuck around with the antennas to improve signal somehow? Even my older N devices get better signal and speeds than this thing.

I have an X200T and I love it. I've had one minor problem in Arch with the hinge print pressure on the screen and activating the finger touch, but that's easy enough to turn off in .xinitrc
The big appeal is the 256 pressure layer Wacom which is great for drawing or graphic design (which is why I got it), but I also really enjoy the super comfy 16:10 on the 200T specifically.
Downside is that they take a different battery than the standard model with the same number, so they can be a little difficult to source.
All in all I would recommend getting one if the tablet uses fit your use case.

How long would gentoo take to compile on a t60?

why did you put quotes around vydia you dumb niggermonkey ?

Attached: 1566920096553-g.jpg (948x725, 294K)

RBPi, flashrom
hope it's not a t420 you gotta take that entire fucker apart as the winbond chip is under the motherboard
if it's an x220 it's right under the palm rest so it's piss easy, check google for specific instructions

Where can I buy a protective sleeve for my W520? They have a 15" sleeve on their site but it's for the newer, thinner laptops.

if you're not sure a local electronics store probably has laptop sleeves so you could try that out

Calm down, snowflake. Your flapping neck fat is annoying.

>tfw lenovo will only put a proper keyboard on a Limited Edition™

Attached: men prefer debt free virgin without tattoos.jpg (672x378, 31K)

Bought a replacement t440p for $50. Fucker already had a 1080p lcd, gt730, 8gb ram, and a backlit keyboard. All I had to do was put the i7-4810QM and better trackpad from my dead t440p into it and now I have a stupidly powerful 14" laptop.

Attached: IMG_20190831_083245_DRO.jpg (2560x1440, 2.56M)

I know you guys love thinkpads, but aren't they old as fuck? I showed this
to my friends, but they told me that it's obsolete hardware.
So which kind of laptop should I buy in the current year. A refurbished Dell Latitude?

>buying new models
why would you be this retarded?

Smaller than a pea-sized drop. Yes, remove the old paste from the CPU and heatsinks using a q-tip and 90+ % isopropyl alcohol.
Try lubing the ban bearing with a small amount of your favorite oil-based lubricant. Or buy a new fan altogether and replace it at the same time you repaste the CPU

Only thing your computer might choke on is android studio or running a gradle build on a big project.

I was given a P52 for work with RHEL 7 on there and it’s a piece of shit. The 1080p IPS screen is fine, but for the cost of these fuckers it really should be better. The trackpad is terrible, when you’re typing there’s no palm rejection so your mouse goes everywhere. It’s really fast though and when you have it docked up you forget how fucking heavy the thing is. 32GB ram and 6 cores tho, oof!

Attached: 03EC0FA1-9EAC-4418-BA3A-16C1E92BC0FE.jpg (1500x1132, 137K)

>>off centered keyboard due to numpad
never understood this critcism

Anyone?

Nowadays the older stuff is better than anything coming out new. The T430 is great, as long as you don't plan on gaming or anything graphics intensive. Get a W series for that. Also, yeah, it looks old but that's really not an issue unless you actually care how it looks. In which case, ThinkPads might not be the best choice. They're built to work and and be durable, not be pretty. Although in turn, they're styling is now a e s t h e t i c

Ok. I will look up the W series then.Thanks a lot.

based retard
download.lenovo.com/eol/

gonna buy an older ThinkPad E531 but it only has 4bg of ram and a 320gb hdd so I was wondering how easily can I upgrade those? (I don't have any experience with upgrading laptops)

So the only thing bad about it is that your fat fucking arm blubber pours onto your trackpad when you’re typing?

probably a loonix issue, at least on windows my T440s trackpad turns off when I'm typing

yep, pic related

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (730x111, 6K)

Are you who I originally replied to? What else exactly makes the P52 a “piece of shit”? I’m going to buy a P53 next time it drops again in price, as far as I can tell it’s by far the best value for what you’re getting when it comes to new laptops, so I’d be curious to hear any legit reasons why

>SSD for T410

The Lenovo website says that it has an micro SATA interface. Do I really have to get an mSATA SSD or can I just buy a regular 2,5inch SATA SSD and stick it in?

I'm trying to find a manual for the T410 but haven't found one so far.

No, I'm a different user

What would you pay for an ok-looking t440p on eBay auction? $150 max?

X13

Attached: no_1.gif (300x300, 583K)

Any thoughts on the P52s?