Why the fuck do so many offices/schools/business use this garbage? Desktops with integrated graphics in the year 2019?

Why the fuck do so many offices/schools/business use this garbage? Desktops with integrated graphics in the year 2019?

Attached: optiplex.jpg (1500x1500, 188K)

What do you expect to be rendering that needs more than integrated graphics at a school or office?

All the computers at my high school actually used all in one Dells with like 3rd gen Intel CPUs. Honestly they could get away with using Core 2 Duo processors for all that we used that those computers for in most cases.

>W A A A A A A A A H I CAN'T PLAY FORTNITE ON MY WORK PC :'(
stop it

What is the point of having a desktop in 2019 if it can't even run games like Fortnite? A desktop without a graphics card shouldn't even exist. They do nothing a laptop or even a phone can't do.

because when one breaks you just send it back to the vendor retard
no enterprise is custom building pc's

My elementary school had us use Linux on old PCs Disney used to use

Attached: E0851849-6FE0-4D55-91C4-81AA6FB67997.gif (320x294, 1.7M)

My keyboard has no shoulder buttons, what should I do?

office
>lraptop
harder for IT to service and upgrade, but lots of places do use laptops.

I'm posting from my workstation with just one of those. Redpill me on them?

in cases when there are dozens of workstations that need only office suite operating why wont they use few "mainframes" made of a little more powerful computer that could serve 3-4 displays

Desktop costs 400€. Laptop costs 800€. Not everyone needs a laptop.

>IT servicing client device hardware
That's just waste of everyones time and money.

Desktops with integrated graphics in the year 2019 are prefectly OK - what do you think that need and why do you think that you need it?

They do. It's called RDS.

bribes

Scale. Why overbuild the solution? You sound like a bad tech honestly if you're in the habit of throwing money at your problem, and I'm not talking about your personal problem, I'm talking about organizational problems where money at scale has different characteristics than personal finance. Listen, these machines are cheap as fuck to make, they're actually not that bad to service despite their size and they're small... So small you can easily VESA mount them. This isn't an attractive feature to us Jow Forums autist, but trust me the normies eat that shit up. They don't want a big fucking box on the floor or on their desk.

Integrated graphics is super cheap because it can be built into the processor, achieves excellent results for normie work activities that don't do design work and it eliminates a step in macro assembly.

no that's what apple does

What a shitty thread. Fuck you, OP.

i miss those shitty school dells that only ran windows xp

it saves money

>you'll never be a 15 year old thinking he's doing something by saving games on the network drive and playing vidya in class again
it hurts desu

dedicated graphics is a fucking meme

Bait

>I need at least a 2080 to do my spreadsheets

Do any of you actually work? Offices lease business desktops and laptops from Dell because they a) can write off the cost of leasing on their taxes, and b) get new machines every two years. It's not that complicated.

-ram compatiblity sucks
-bios has blacklisted hardware
-no ecc
-useally only 2 slots of ram capped
-psu has no switch which means you cant discharge it while keeping it grounded for servicing (enjoy death)
-shitty proprietary pressure mounted heatsinks
-non standard fan header
-single pwm header for CPU fan which means you need to use splitters or run case fans off main PSU at full throttle
-limited as fug bios
-cpu fan shroud blocks large graphics cards
-non standard front panel connectors
-horrible airflow design
-pcb cant be mounted into another case easily because its inverted
-most are abandonded by dell so they are vulnerable to all the spectre variants unless you load microcode in linux at every boot

Why the fuck do I need a discrete GPU to edit Excel workbooks and send emails?

These machines are not intended for hobbyists. They are intended for businesses who will have dozens or even hundreds of them. It doesn't matter if they use proprietary connectors or mounting orientations or whatever because they will order the parts from Dell anyway. If you need ECC or lots of RAM or additional hardware support you should be buying or building a workstation, not one of these.

You really shouldn't be using these for performance workloads anyway. The CPU is usually severely limited on TDP so you get shit for performance no matter what you do. These are intended for spreadsheets and emails, not for gaming or graphic design or compiling or encoding or anything like that.

>can't render a 7 billion polygon dragon dildo in a reasonable time, so model making is out
>can't render a 50 hour montage video of me playing with said dildo, so video production is out too
>can't encode my 27 different dragon loli animes in lossless H.265
>can't run unreal editor on it, so game production is out of the question
why are these considered work computers when you can't do actual work on it?

Because you've clearly never worked in a real office setting.

Bloviated bait reply? You're using them wrong. You should be sucking your based employer and school districts' collective dicks for using such superior hardware..
Real answer? Contracts. It's the same with Apple and the education market. Buy a bunch from us we give you a better deal.

Also this. I still hate them, but I have to give dell credit - they're still great at dominating these sorts of environments.

Based
Also, fuck disney.

ME-Infested,nonfree, underpowered, cheaply built, problematic dumpster fires, the lot of them.
TALOS workstation, Librepad or GTFO.

I literally read nothing but OP and just wanted to say 1) its fucking economics man you want Alienware desktops at school? But what I really wanted to point out is your whole premise of integrated graphics being outdated is literal nonsense. Integrated graphics have made just as significant improvements throughout the past decades as dedicated chips... It's always been about use case and need for the hardware.

>equipping zoomer centrals with gaymen rigs
what could go wrong?

I would take anything over that shitty optilex at work

To sit in one fucking place, not get dropped and broken, be plugged into a big ass screen with a keyboard and mouse, and most importantly be easily serviced.

>exact same power button as XPS laptop line
What a strange design decision

They also use that button their monitors they tend to bundle with optiplex'es, since like 2014 at the very least

This has to be a joke

because most office software could run just fine on 2004 era hardware, they don't need the additional power for any business critical process

>Desktops with integrated graphics in the year 2019?
Business computers are used for business, not games.
What is so hard to understand about that??

ITT
>Why doesn't my SCHOOL have computers I can GAME on while AT SCHOOL instead of doing my schoolwork?
Kek. This website has a 18 year age limit OP.

>HURR DURR MUH GAYYYYYYYMEZ
>HURR DURR EVERYONE IN DA WURLD SHOULD PLAY AITCH DAY GAYYYYYMES 24/7 JUST LIKE ME I'M SO FUCKIN LEET NOT NOW MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM I'LL COME UP WHEN I'M HUNGRY BITCH

god yes.
>buy 10,000 of them and they're all *exactly* the same hardware/firmware
>only one image to deploy
>only need to teach/support one machine configuration per refresh cycle
>warranty parts shipped direct, no phone maze, no waiting, no questions asked
>full suite of backdoors so we can push updates, force reboots, track assets

Is this thread real?

Integrated graphics actually got quite good lately. Can play a fair amount of games with them.

zoomer Jow Forums is real, yes
most threads are about cellphones nowadays, it's fucking over

There is really no point in having a dedicated GPU in 2019 unless you're a gaymer or do heavy graphic work

You can do all those "basic office" tasks with a fucking smartphone, let alone a laptop. Why the fuck would you need a desktop for something like that in 2019?

That's seriously the only reason to have a desktop at all in 2019. If you aren't gaming or doing work that demands gpu performance then using a desktop is absolute nonsense.

Having a desktop without a graphics card is like having a smartphone that can't make phone calls.

you dont need a $2000 computer to write documents in Word and do accounting in Excel user

>You can do all those "basic office" tasks with a fucking smartphone, let alone a laptop.
Not really. A laptop has a shitty small screen and keyboard, so it's not nearly as good.
>hurr you can add external screen and keyboard
Well then you're just wasting a bunch of space on your desk for no reason.
Plus it costs more.

2/8 made me reply

Because those SFF desktops are probably cheaper for a phone and better suited to productive work then thumbs on a smart phone. Now fuck off zoomer.

They're not meant for gaming. We have 100k machines hooked up to that exact model and it works just fine. Custom software.

HAHAHAHHAHA OHHH FUCK!!!

>shitty small screen
>shitty keyboard
>not nearly as good
>NOT NEARLY AS GOOD

You know what? it's fucking good enough!!

BUSINESSES DO NOT NEED YOUR FUCKING MECHANICAL KEYBOARD AND30" GAMER SCREEN TO DO BUSINESS!!

>need hundreds of computing devices for office work
>they never need to move
>they don't need to be powerful
>they do, however, need monitors, sometimes several
>easier to be productive with a large keyboard/monitor
>don't wanna pay for tiny integrated screen/wireless/battery that you don't need/keyboard without all the keys you want

>>every car needs to be a supercar or you're wasting your time
>>just drive a smart car
>>just ride a bike

>>>(you)

>I've never set foot in an office and watch people work for 8h a day every day on their PCs.
Yup. But you will when you grow up, kiddo.

Do you live in a basement? Have you ever deployed and managed hundreds of computers in a corporation before? No accountant needs a riced out gay-man PC. It makes zero economic sense.

72545441 here again.

I fucking program electronics in my work on a 14" laptop that runs windows XP and is never connected to the internet.

Just thought I'd throw that in here too.

see

ITT anons throw tantrums with the one or two people who have actually finished education and worked with adults.

These are machines for people whose jobs are to be replaced by programmes in the coming decade.

Go and tell office cucks that they'll have to be hunched over a 14" laptop from now on, see how that goes.

(I don't even know if this is bait anymore, but surely nobody can be this retarded, right?)

When this thread started out it was about desktop computers without gaming graphics.

Multiple monitors faggot

OR DO GRAPHIC WORK as in MULTIPLE MONITORS

Because all it needs to do is run a VM you spastic.

Reminder that video games are for children

Multiple monitors are used for more than just graphics work you dumb autist.

Integrated GPUs can do 3 monitors easily nowadays, unless you need them to be over 1080p res.

Like you need multiple monitors to watch your one stock all day on your bloomberg terminal idiot.

Leave the basement sometime, user.

Attached: 989.jpg (578x566, 45K)

I have never lived in a basement.
I left my parents home when I was 16.
Maybe you should have done the same?

Because most businesses wants a basic model that meet their specs requirements with a supplier that can provide warranties and on-site support, and it's easier to support as few models as possible at once.

i hope you really are a retard

Fpbp

who the heck needs a gpu, really? what are you gonna do with it, play shitty new games? i'm playing myth soulblighter right now, on a cf-19, on linux, with KDE 3. i bet that makes you mad doesnt it? what are you gonna do about it white boy? gpus are a waste of electricity and time, nothing more. unless youre mining bitcoins you should just kill yourself. i'd rather have a cd/dvd drive taking up space in my machine than a gpu, quite frankly.

All the people shitting on Optiplexes do realize that these things sell like hotcakes on the used market because of their versatility and expanadability, right? Just look at the eBay prices.

Mining bitcoin in the current year with a GPU. Absolute brainlet. This is why made 103K and you made zero USD, faggot.

>the only reason I own a desktop at home is because I play video games, therefore that is the only reason anyone else has ever owned one too!
Cheaper, easier to service, harder to break, harder to steal, more processing power, more expansion, more I/O, more easy to customize to suit a given task.

You're probably baiting, but there really are basic bitches on Jow Forums that only own a desktop because the facebook machines they would otherwise be using can't play shitty video games and it's fucking sad.

Attached: 1564950654417.jpg (409x409, 36K)

> You must be 18 years old to post

Nice strawman, but nobody in an office that isn't a sardine can willingly uses a shitty little tablet or 14'' laptop and nothing else. Everyone at my office has two or three monitors and standard fullsize or ergonomic keyboards if they're fragile snowflakes, the only laptop users are either senior developers and management that are frequently attending meetings (or otherwise have their laptops docked and basically desktop-ified) or contractors the state doesn't want to spend any money on.

And now with integer scaling coming into the scene it definitely will be capable some more.

Huh? These things are great

I found an ivy bridge optiplex for $80, dropped a video card in it and now I have a pretty capable machine for fucking peanuts

>They do nothing a laptop or even a phone can't do.
Except not break. If you give a kid a phone or a laptop, they're going to eventually drop it and break it. This doesn't happen to desktops since they aren't carried around. Even adults make mistakes sometimes; I think that at least 2% of our teachers' laptops have cracked bezels. Also, nowadays some laptops aren't user serviceable and have to be sent back to the manufacturer for fixing.
t. worked as IT at a junior high/high school

>media is the only work that can be done on computers

>while keeping it grounded for servicing
?

>pay for smartphones for all employees
>they always take them home and break them

>buy desktops instead
>they stay on the desk all day and aren't fucked with

besides, who the fuck would want to type out an email on a tiny shitty screen?

They really dont need anything else

he's not baiting. zoomers really are that dumb.

boomers and zoomers need to fucking go.
xoomers and yoomers are the only ones left in this world with a clue.

>i don't use a nice monitor so now everybody else also has to

Fuck off faggot, this isnt a misery contest

Stop sucking the corporate cock user, saddling employees with work phones means theyre now expected to always be checking emails and shit at home after work.

Don't be a fucking shill just by being ignorant.

3-4? You’re thinking too small. VDI environments are typically much larger. All the user needs is a thin client, keyboard, mouse, and monitor

Cause for E-mail,office work, internet you don't need a fucking 8 core cpu or 32GB of ram. Nor do you need a $400 graphics card.

Do they suck for anything professional type work (Graphic design, video encoding,etc) hell yes. But that isn't the point of them. The point is for office cucks to check the e-mail with them or do shit in Office.

Fuck you friendo :^)

You must be 18 to post here

You're arguing with someone that clearly has never spent time in an actual work environment.

>/V/ tries to understand how enterprise environments operate
Listen kid, the only reason you're bitching is because you're stuck with one at school and are trying to do things you're not supposed to

i graduated in 2012 and all of the computers used core 2 duo's and they really weren't very slow at all. they played flash games just fine and were honestly faster than a lot of computers that people had at their house.

but halfway through they started using these weird thin client boxes that were like four computers connected to one mini box and they were absolute horseshit and barely capable of basic word processing

>They do nothing a laptop or even a phone can't do.
They prevent people from saying "hey we got an urgent meeting, bring your laptop" so you end up working while 12 people who don't know about infrastructure look at you and make you the most inane stupid questions.

Design looks nice desü.

>spreadsheet tasks
>word processing
>on a smartphone
Lol no

>having to deal with gpu failures and shitty driver/apps suite.
smart move to me