About CRT

What's Jow Forums's opinion on them? I actually used one today (pic related but not mine) and while the image is crispy clear and good quality, it fucks with my eyes a lot more than LCDs and the refresh rate/resolution is of similar quality.
If CRTs are a yes, what do you recommend to solve the problems above? A syncmaster? Some niche CRTs that costs a ton?

Attached: aa.jpg (500x370, 26K)

crt suck unless you have a good one.
either you get no flicker on 1024x768 or high res but 50hz eye cancer

Oh boy, this will be a quality thread.

CRTs are good for retro gaming and fuck all else

I use a 4:3 Syncmaster LCD for my retro gaming pcs.

How much would a 1600x1200 one cost with a decent framerate? That would be neat.
There are lots of them, which one are you using?

CRTs kinda a must have if you want to enjoy old very console games.
Also maybe for hardcore gaymen where every bit if tiniest lag can ruin your highscore faggotry.

Apart from that it's usually just nostalgia stuff and if you enjoy fiddling around with vintage stuff.

>mfw meme slurpers get the shittiest no name CRTs from the curb and proudly announce on soicial media how great and better the experience is than with TFT
Lowest quality should be some late 90s Philips CRT nothing lower than that or you will regret it.
Otherwise the usual, Sony, Eizo, Samsung, NEC, Viewsonic and those that used good tubes.

Attached: 1426890316621.jpg (227x220, 8K)

this
i only fire mine up for low latency retro gayming and watching old anime

Oh i forgot but most are 4:3

This thread again.
Good for old content (and computers/consoles), etc, etc. Not as good as high end flat panels for modern content, etc, etc. The end.

I do like retro stuff but I'd give more use to a CRT TV rather than a PC monitor to fire up my old Nintendos and such
That's ok in my book, I've been using a 5:4 LCD all my life until this year when I upgraded to a 24'' 144hz 1080p one

Sorry if the thread feels like reposting, I just did CTRL+F "CRT" and got nothing.

>How much would a 1600x1200 one cost with a decent framerate? That would be neat.
That resolution was supported by many good monitors in the late 90s but if you wanted to run it at that rez and AT LEAST 85Hz you almost always had to get a 19 or more likely a 21" monitor for that. Most smaller monitors didn't support high resolutions like that at anything over 60 or 70Hz (85 should be your minimum on a CRT, otherwise your eyes will get fucked after a while)

Attached: 1555281435921.jpg (428x424, 16K)

Thanks for the info, mine was running on 60hz and I couldn't stare at it for too long, that might explain why... loved the view angle though, comparing to my laptop LCD.

I was wrong, I actually use a Lenovo ThinkVision L192p 19" 4:3 LCD monitor. I have a machine with XP and 98 hooked up to it, and another machine with Vista for slightly newer games. The monitor is really nice though because it can adjust to a wide range of heights, and can be rotated sideways

Attached: 2019-08-30 18.10.39.jpg (1331x998, 369K)

My bad, it's actually 5:4

i have the same problem with crts, the "effects" a crt screen puts on are very beautiful but i can't stare at one without feeling like it's trying to pull my eyes towards it if i look in any other direction than the one it is in, i once stared at my crt for 9 hours in one go, i had a headache for 3 days and my vision was a bit blurry plus my eyes had that feeling of being pulled to look forwards. pic related aoc 7klr

Attached: serveimage.jpg (225x169, 4K)

60 is absolutely horrible on CRTs. People who're new to this think it's like running TFTs on 60 but it is not because on those tubes it's about the actual refresh rate of the phosphor that actually flickers at 60 while on TFTs it's just at static image that gets "refreshed" 60 times a second (and with some slight flickering from the backlight).
85Hz is alright on CRT but anything over 100 will feel amazing compared to 85 but don't overdrive your monitor and stay in specs, otherwise your tube will degrade very fast or maybe even catch fire.

>cheap ass CRT
that's your problem. I doubt you were running it at 85Hz.
Probably at 1024x768 and 60 which will fuck with you.

Sorry, not trying to be mean.
It's okay, it's just that we have a thread like this every week or even twice or week and it's always the same stuff. Just tiresome, even though it's a cool topic.

It's all good. I would say browser/OS/smartphone wars is the worst part of the board.
Is there any difference with TV and PC CRTs besides the obvious ones?

Sounds and looks terrible!!

Attached: 1566241985125s.jpg (250x109, 3K)

A CRT's face is a section of a spheroid.
Therefore you don't see an accurate image because you are projecting a flat image on a curved suface.
It's even worse with so-called flat CRTs because the distortion is even worse. The beam travels different distances for siferent areas of the display surface.

Just snagged one of these a few months ago. Currently feeding an old XP machine to it.

Attached: JVC-TM-A130SU-13-Color-CRT-Video-Monitor.jpg (400x394, 11K)

And watching SDTV.
High-end PC CRTs are worse for low-res content, really (and they're usually """flat""" tubes so they end up with worse, aesthetically displeasing distortion).

> What's Jow Forums's opinion on them?
Everybody is glad that they are gone.
Some old school amber terminal that looks really stylish might be the exception.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (1280x853, 233K)

>what do you recommend to solve the problems above?
1. Put the CRT monitor in the trash
2. Buy literally anything else

High end CRTs are better than anything we have today.

Attached: Dn8rQ_xXUAE7Ygr.jpg (1366x1024, 138K)

>it fucks with my eyes

Bump the refresh rate in your OS's display settings to something above 75Hz

>hardcore gaymen where every bit if tiniest lag
You're overlooking resolution, which CRTs have to sacrifice to achieve the same refresh rate as LCDs. A 144Hz or 240Hz LCD is going to have less lag than a CRT running at 85Hz, and with better clarity.
Better how?