Alright you buncha fa/g/gots

alright you buncha fa/g/gots
redpill me on the free software philosophy:

Construction workers dont build houses for free,
doctors dont cure people for free,
firemen dont put out fires for free,
and scientist dont science for free.
Why should the internet be any different?

Go.

Attached: images.jpg (150x150, 5K)

The internet isn't software.

Attached: 1559024143909.png (678x630, 390K)

You can pay for free software, it's free as in freedom no free as in cost.

>and scientist dont science for free
yes they do

you guys keep saying that but doesn't GPL require you to allow other people to re-release your software for free with minimal or even no changes?

no they dont they get paid by universities / the govt.

I mean they can take your code and do whatever they want with it.
But there's nothing stopping you putting your software and code behind a paywall, that's entirely allowed.
And there are licenses which help prevent people do that.

>Go.
unironically kill yourself you stupid fucking amerilard

sorry fren did i upset u?
Pretty please go, with sugar on top.
there is that better?

Attached: 1560931487599.jpg (711x633, 43K)

Volunteer firefighters?

Alright you little queer. Let me explain this to you like you're a two year old with down's.

Free software isn't actually free, except for end users. But there's a cost for developers. Every time they modify that software they have to redistribute the changes and keep that code under the same license. The original developers are paid in improvements to their work. If your software sucks big donkey dicks, no one will fork it or contribute to it, so you're paid nothing. In this way it's a sort of free market for software. You are also allowed to charge money for GPL software as long as you provide the source. RedHat already does this.

Attached: 8ac681b9882c5106c76a280a5e31715a.jpg (500x468, 35K)

>redpill me on the free software philosophy:
it sucks, i only use GNU/Linux because Windows isn't better, i might take the fagpilled of macOS in the future

>You are also allowed to charge money for GPL software as long as you provide the source. RedHat already does this
genuinely didnt know that, now GPL actually seem pretty based.
cheers fren, take this cute cat pic as a reward.
/thread

Attached: 513434123623151363424.jpg (750x750, 45K)

You would've known this if you did a smallest amount of research, there's a page on the FSF.org site about this.

The free software philosophy is neither free nor a coherent philosophy. Instead the gpl is a form of viral communism.

sirs, i already said /thread
so please stfu

Attached: 1560544221448s.jpg (250x190, 6K)

Communism only works in a system without scarcity. When it comes to software distrobution it is close to infinite. Software can be duplicated and shared easily and cheaply. That's why the gpl is a good thing. Because of the gpl free and open source software has matured at a staggering rate. While communism in the real world doesnt work, it works really well with software and digital files.

kill yourself cutesy uwu ironic retardation frogposter

It's a meme big companies used to kill small competition.
Free software killed small software vendors. There's no more comfy life than being an owner of a small software shop, selling some specialized software. It's completely dead, because only enormous corporations can compete with free.
As a result, a person who in the 90s would likely start a small, but profitable, isv, is instead forced to wagecuck.

Free software means freedom, not price.

Based, killing closed source software one vendor at a time

And there's nothing stopping someone else to re-release it as a free version. People expecting to be paid with a GPL version were dropped on their head when they were an oprhan

It has nothing to do with money. It's freedom.

>Construction worker fills the walls with asbestos specifically so you have to call him and he suits up to do any work and then vacuums it all up to refill it.
>Doctor cures your disease with medicinee but won't tell you what pills he's giving you, can't switch doctor, not sure what disease you have...
>Fireman makes sure to confiscate your extinguishers after he's done with his work: Call him up if you need help again, these things aren't legal.
>Scientist perfects equations and models, give him your data he will run the numbers and get back to you. TRANSPARENCY? How could he make any money if he shares how it works with you?! Just trust in this black box, man, it's illegal to reverse engineer his numbers.

>Computer uses nonfree software

I rest my case.

Attached: 741720095676a385dc12605f0d84e75d36b61464c55c3923ff60f737fe6de7a0.jpg (680x443, 50K)

Well lets look at blender for example.
Blender started as proprietary software however it didnt sell because it sucks.
So they became open source.
Now it sucks less so japanese animation studios will use it and pay for its development so they can have their own costumized solution for their needs.
So who profits in the end?
The guys that made it open source if theyre the ones being paid.

>Why should the internet be any different?
People don't build the Linux Kernel for free.
Well some do, but many are paid.
Things aren't different.

>firemen dont put out fires for free,
Yes, they do. Voluntary firefighters are a thing.

>Construction workers dont build houses for free
I have seen buildings which were constructed for free.

>doctors dont cure people for free
Sometimes they do.

>scientist dont science for free
They usually get payed for their teaching, many scientist do science out of interest.

Everything I take from this is that software is like other professions.

Just develop another business model where you earn money by giving support and improvements instead of relying on licensing

the problem is non skilled labor.
communist had no problem with skilled labor.
They sent the first satellite into space afterall.

Attached: download (7).jpg (259x195, 13K)

Because your mother sucks cocks for free.

Just saying, fire extinguishers aren't serviced/sold/maintained my firemen.

But good examples desu