Software Minimalism thread

>he has over 500 packages installed
>his OS takes up more than 1GB of space
>his machine uses more than 75MB of ram just to idle
>his kernel has dozens, if not hundreds of unused features and drivers built-in

Attached: sharo10.png (500x281, 194K)

give me one(1) valid argument against "bloat" on a current year desktop

i'm too poor to afford anything more than a 20 year old laptop with 512 mb of ram and 10 gb of storage

> Packages: 1893 (pacman)
ayy

B-but most of those features are modules, not built-in

>the software maximalist

Attached: mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg (539x687, 114K)

Attached: ss.png (138x22, 2K)

>muh package count
kys

based

I have no idea how much RAM my machine uses idling because I don't use it idling. An e-mail client and a web browser is the bare minimum that's open at all times. I don't get anything from staring at an empty wallpaper. On average I use 3-4 gigabytes of memory.

Why should I concern myself with bullshit arbitrary limitations like package count, idle ram usage, and drive utilization if I have the necessary resources to spare on all of these things?

kys autist

Imagine being this poor.

Back when I first found out about Linux about 12 years ago I tried downloading the entire repository. The entire thing.

I had over 10K installed, doesnt matter am running NixOS so they dont affect startup time

Battery life on laptops.

>all these fucking retards entering a thread to complain that the subject doesn't interest them
at least summer is ending soon

Why do Linux fags always complain about windows bloat but then conveniently forget the 9000 dependencies evey piece of software on Linux needs, its literally the java libraries of operating systems

Is no worse on a clean Windows image than on your exquisitely curated Linux install. Unless you completely cut yourself off from modern society you end up squandering it all on webapps anyway.

Why when someone ask you abot current year desktop you respond about laptops?

I literally got 12 hours of full-brightness screen usage out of this laptop today with a fresh arch install with minimal extra shit. Browsing assorted stuff with regular firefox and using discord the whole time, too. Clean windows gets 3-5 hours tops.

Im not poor so I actually have good hardware so I can do more than just try to lower the amount of packages I have on my system :^)

it makes your computer slower than it needs to be. a lot slower.

They're Thinkpad users.

sounds based, might try this

Difference is that dependemcies are better than repackaging the same libs in 50 installed programs.

If you counted "dependencies" in Windows youd have 20000 installed packages with different versions of common libs.

Why is this thread full of autists who dont care for the subject

because OP is bait specifically aimed at people who don't care for the subject

"Arguing" against a subject still pertains to a thread about said subject

Isn't Sharo a poorfag

Syaro

>software autism thread
oh, see ya.

>he uses Arch because "muh low number of packages!!!" but doesn't know that Arch packages are the most bloated of any distro

Attached: annoyed.jpg (319x343, 38K)

There is absolutely zero reason to bother with package count. As long as you don't use them, the only disadvantage they cause is taking up disk space, which is a non-issue as long as you have a large enough drive.
And remember that just because something looks "minimal" (in the proper sense, meaning low memory/cpu usage), it doesn't mean it is, see mutt/Vim.
Also, what ultimately matters is how lightweight and efficient your entire, fully functional system is as a whole. If you use 10 pseudominimal meme applications to awkwardly replicate what you did with a single, well-integrated one, you're not only stupid, but also ironically using a more bloated system in the end.
>muh unix philosophy
Stick it up your ass, I already told you why it's shit.

Yeah, let's make web browsers edit video and compile Rust as well, having multiple applications instead of a single well-integrated one is bloat.

I fucking hate Windows 10 so much bros but I have to use it

what fucking annoys me is I am a software minimalist who ecourages and argues for debloat but your autism and limits set are fucking stupid

Attached: Win7_debloated.png (412x459, 42K)

beam of astral autism.jpg

I know you were memeing, but you could literally pick up something like thinkpad T60 or X200 at goodwill for free if you're lucky
the only real argument against perceived bloat is autism

>finally another minimalism thread after a long hiatus
Why took you so long?

how the fuck do you use less than 75mb to idle, max ive managed to get it to is ~120

Anyone working with groff? What's your setup and/or workflow? I am thinking to use it for math notes.

Yes and it will remain that way. Problem?

Linux is just a package.

stop downloading the entire history, use only recent branch (is smaller now)

>Goodwill
>Free
>Things that aren't trash
yeah no

is there, like, a book or something that can teach me how to use suckless tools?

(BY ME)

go be gay somewhere else iToddler

how about packages that have services?

That's only a problem on garbage distros that insist on autostarting services by default right after being installed (Debian and Debian-based, maybe Arch)

Back in 2000 I bought SUSE linux, it came on like 10 CDs (some were for the source codes only though). I installed all packages and the system was pretty comfy.

Why would you install them if you don't mean to use them right away?

To configure them first?

what's some kool sekretclub distro

Doesn't Debian's entire repo weigh something like half a terabyte?

goodwill only exists in the us. you fat niggers throw away all old useful tech for some reason

No, it just gets sold to tech recyclers that price it at market value on eBay and other sites.
Goodwill and other thrift stores only sell the garbage that's left over.

>imagine being productive on any machine and not just muh full voltage desktop multicore with a truckload of memory that you overpaid for and only play vidya on

Literal Ubuntu has better battery life out of thr box now, which is the price we pay for being on Windows and having all the useful software.

Software minimalism is fashion. Any reasonably modern machine can run the latest "bloat" linux software with plenty of headroom. The number of installed packages is the last thing that anyone should be worrying about.
"Minimalists" chase after minimalism not for pragmatic reasons, but to impress other minimalists. It's a fashion statement.

>Arch baby doesn't know that 500 packages in his distro is the equal to 1200 packages on Debian +/-
>Doesn't know arch is bloated
>Thinks he's special because he loses time configuring his kernel not because he needs but because he needs to say it
>Muh X only no DE meme
Faggot.

I use to be like you.
And then I got tired of dealing with all kinds of bullshit when Im in a hurry and need to do something atypical and having to fuck with a shit ton of packages and configurations just to get basic bitch shit up and running when I really do not have time for it.

I can never understand the low package count meme. It just tells me that you don't have anything installed on your system. mesa alone is 44 packages including dependencies.