Windows Server

Why does Windows Server exist?

Attached: mstsc_c7KUW57ZIo.png (1282x752, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/application-frameworks/scenario-build-a-php-website-on-iis/configure-a-php-website-on-iis
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/plan-and-deploy?view=exchserver-2019
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Windows stack continues to exist because it has better support and is more user-friendly than any Linux stack.

so that they can sell it as an enterprise product. If it hasn't got the
>enterprise/pro/industrial edition
label with tonnes of bloat and shitware then companies won't use it.

Active Directory was extremely useful for the windows xp era.

I have no idea why.
I'm not certain that even Microsoft know the answer

And it continues to be useful today.

pwa pwahaha muuuuwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha
wuhahahahahaha ohhhhh HAAAAAAARRRRRRhahahahahahahaha

You should he using azure ad or samba ldap now. Gpos are really the only reason to keep using windows server

Because millions of servers use it.

It just werks

you really cant expect corporations to teach h1b1s how to use red hat

As much as I like Linux this is true.

>Why does Windows Server exist?
It's just a different licence with some arbitrary restrictions lifted to justify its higher cost.

Because large corporations need a bit more than running nginx containers you fucking weebfagging anime ricing bitchass faggot.

wagie mad

To serve windows obviously.

Every major organization that I've seen still uses AD.

That's not to say they don't have Linux boxes here and there either, for the right purpose.

anime website

Attached: 1503889730033.png (485x500, 111K)

We're federated with Azure AD. We still run a ton of infrastructure on Windows server, mostly in Azure but have a lot of on prem stuff for our SCADA networks.

Best of both worlds.

Because actually professional companies don't want to use a hobby operating system like linux for their servers

Because of Active Directory and filesharing/Office/GPOs and WSUS crap.

The rest can run on your favorite GNU/Linux server fine.

>Active Directory
samba
>filesharing
samba
>Office
it's fucking 2019 and gnu/linux still doesn't have a usable libre office suite
>GPOs
afaik SSSD can do this
>WSUS
ansible

If you are running a company that isn't a tech company then they probably need an ERP software developed by a tech company... and for some reason all ERP devs only develop for windows.
Ironically things are getting more agnostic now that cloudshit is proliferating but anything designed to run on-prem requires a windows server for ::reasons::

>still doesn't have a usable libre office suite
Seems usable to me faggot.

t. neet

How about Skype and Microsoft teams to add to the other plethora of reasons?

I like linux but it is SEVERELY lacking in the enterprise department. So companies are happy being locked in to the Microsoft stack. It's got everything they need.

>8 weeb boards
>35 non-weeb boards
No. 4channel is not a weeb site.

I guess Google and Facebook are not professional companies in your book. The only "professional" company I ever saw using WS is MS.

/thread

Attached: 1558632787730.png (1050x768, 102K)

Cause it just works. When time is a factor you want something that will just fucking work instead of having to tinker with it in order to get it to work.

Loss of time and loss of productivity means less Profit for your company. It also means your ass is out of a job if the downtime is severe.

Used to be a little wizard in Server 2003 that would setup a fully functional domain/DNS/remote access server all in one or three clicks. Now this was a quick and dirty job but it worked and worked quick. Then you could go back and fine tune shit for your liking.

Sadly they removed that little thing in later server versions.

It's used to host dotnet crap, at least until dotnet core released.

To trigger Licux users

>If you are running a company that isn't a tech company then they probably need an ERP software developed by a tech company... and for some reason all ERP devs only develop for windows.
>Ironically things are getting more agnostic now that cloudshit is proliferating but anything designed to run on-prem requires a windows server for ::reasons::
As a SAP consultant -the biggest ERP company in the frigging world- this is complete bullshit. Frontend maybe but certainly not exclusive, but backend certainly not.

Reminder that AD was stolen from novell's netware and that netware's implementation was better.
The only reason it even exists is because windows is still used on almost every client system and most places use AD/SCCM to manage windows clients.
If you define "support" as having direct 1:1 copies of windows software you're right. *nix has more support for *nix like software, which is usually more powerful. The windows stack only exists today because of misinformation and marketing and inept users.
The general consensus at most places I've worked is that closed source and expensive correlates to better security and stability if you put "entrprise" somewhere in the name.
Most "professionals" I work with either cannot use a command line or don't know how to use a command line effectively.
So a product line that has never produced a stable and reliable product has stuck around like a tumor when many far superior alternatives exist.

Hey, for me it's A lot harder than linux deoyment:
>Install nginx fine tune some config
Vs
>Install server functionalities
>Click Click Click
>There is no config but actually a lot of icons for stuff I'll never use
>Also setting up PHP you have to kinda "THINK"

Is there any free tutorial/course on windows server? For me it's much easier finding documentation for linux than windows server.

Even a mail server is easier on Linux, it's just 3 programs and some configs, while on windows server it has a lot of icons to click.

Provide me some tutorial!

Windows server is actually acceptable - low bloat desktop. IIS is the real garbage fire

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/application-frameworks/scenario-build-a-php-website-on-iis/configure-a-php-website-on-iis

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/plan-and-deploy?view=exchserver-2019

Because Samba AD and SMB still don’t have all of the features of their MS versions and won’t. Also Exchange, superior cloud integration, actuall support, and so on. Although that's all Enterprise stuff. For small businesses and nerds with free time due to lack of social life go for open source.

So Microsoft could shaft corporate entities with different pricing compared to consumer entities.

Oh yeah we see how well Google & Facebook are doing nowadays

Can anyone tell me the difference between a MES and an ERP system?

Can they be one in the same? And even better what did company's do in the 1980's and 1990's ERP's and MES COULDN'T have always existed OR did they do it on paper?

Attached: 1490044561470.jpg (960x422, 24K)

Is still not as straightforward as linux...

And yet here I am using linux only and able to do all the enterprise shit on my linux using work machine. Are you people literally paid shills or something?

MS can still milk money out of retards with and so they will, but not even MS uses Windows Server, Azure runs on linux.

I see reddit it's still mad for being publicly shamed on /qa/.

OP, here's the answer to your question.

Better than Internet Explorer and Windows phone, that's for sure.

Because dumb fucking companies like the one I work for continue to use it to run their shitty .NET apps.

Try again, seething weeb. Haven't used plebbit a day in my life. Go cry some more over the fact that your precious weeb site hasn't been a weeb site for fucking years.

>Most "professionals" I work with either cannot use a command line or don't know how to use a command line effectively.
Why should they?
Would you design a car that had to be controlled via typed commands?

Cause you can operate computers witouth knowing what a logic gate is.
But how efficent will you be at using a computer?

>site founded as an english alternative to 2chan, which is an anime website
>for it's entire history, deeply shrouded in anime discussion, memes, general otaku userbase
>yotsuba is the fucking mascot
>not an anime website, or at least a discussion website with anime as the biggest shared interest
you fucking Jow Forums redditor faggots have no right to say what the site is, and don't know what the fuck you're talking about. please go to 8ch when it's back up and never return, it might be more your speed

Attached: 1523060990278.jpg (360x486, 112K)

You didn't answer my question.

Would you design a car that had to be controlled via typed commands?

Yes, cause you can make the wheel yourself.

Insthead of:
>Using wheel
>Ooooh, you can actually go straight forward? I tought you are supposed to stir left and right to go forward

Seethe more weeb. This isn't Jow Forums. This site was founded by gookmoot, it's not a weeb site.

>Yes
This is how I know you neither drive, nor use any sort of machinery in an industrial capacity.

Because there's more to the world than "muh flatpak'd webserver". Your average Jow Forumsentooman doesn't understand this.

unfortunately this.
whenever i see an user-friendly linux solution it is always a proprietary shell on top of linux like VMWare ESXi

Nigger I am coming

You said "operate computers"
Not who's operating them, sure, for a common "computer operator" graphical interface is best.
But don't forget even windows has a CLI.

It's like:
>HOW DO I SUM 1+100?
Download and install calculator
vs
Doing 1+100 in command line, what's fastest?
Most computer operators don't even know what a cli is

Because most computer operators don't care.

>enterprise shit
>paid shills

Dude you're an idiot. Speaking to people like you is a waste of time. I work with very large companies and they all depend on the Microsoft stack.

What unified communications solution is there that's linux compatible? How do you run a call center using only Linux?

You have no idea what goes into Skype and the benefits of using its trusted applications feature. You're a mentally ill zealot that has provably never worked in the industry. You are a fool and it's people like you that are killing linux.

Active Directory.

People think Linux is so easy have never worked in a nontech company and watch people struggle with basic computer operations like copy pasting files with a mouse in file explorer. Honestly boomers make me sick and I don't understand how these useless fuckers aren't fired yet

SharePoint, Exchange and Active Directory.
Far more important in the real world than any Linux-based web server appliance.

>Gpos are really the only reason to keep using windows server
If the company has the means to, they can switch over to Azure's Intune which has its own GPO stuff. You can even add in custom things if it's not available in their pre-defined things, though it can be a bit of a pain to get it going.

>We're federated with Azure AD
>Best of both worlds.
I feel ya, I just wish navigating Azure was a bit easier as I'm not a fan of the blade navigation among other things.

A car requires realtime operation. A very powerful and complex calculation machine does not.
But say you only want a car to go down an empty road for 1 mile and stop. I'd rather use a keyboard to control it than a mouse. it is way easier and efficient to tell it what to do. To do more complicated instructions like go around a block n times you really need to give it instructions which would be impossible with a mouse.
Back to computers the smart way to use a command line is to automate common actions into scripts. With about 5 minutes of over head I can make my computer do 20 things instantly on demand. In a gui you only have 1 mouse cursor you can only give one command at a time and you add more latency between commands because you are not a machine. There are gui applications to do some automated tasks but they are only graphical representations of command line scripting, are less powerful and more bloated at that point you might as well use a command line.

>A car requires realtime operation
But according to you, a computer does not...

I was about to say active directory, exchange and sharepoint.
Powerful tools for the corporate.

To clarify, this means Windows is JUST user friendly enough that some 95 IQ toenail enthusiast from Pooinlooabad can provide helpdesk duties for three bucks an hour, and half trained runbook monkey redditors can muddle together a wheezing, broken infrastructure. The Linux world basically focuses on automating those people out of jobs.

Attached: 1557883423577.webm (878x480, 2.68M)

Get's funnier every time I see it.
Jow Forums is a thousand clones of that autistic fuckwit, and the asian dude is the real world BTFOing them.

AD is good until it isn't.

>I-I'm not a plebbit tourist!
hello stormnigger tourist

Attached: anime_website.png (800x2810, 580K)

Everything is like that, user.
A car is great - until its engine blows up and you slam into a telegraph pole at 100km/h.
A computer is great - until it's power supply goes boom and fries your motherboard and hard disk.
AD is great - until the global catalog eats its face and the backup is weeks old (because it's actually slowly been destroying itself for that length of time).
Tell me about it.

>better support
How? Microsoft support at an enterprise level costs a fucking fortune and you deal with literal retards for your trouble. Redhat support is at least competent and a shitload cheaper.

/thread

Attached: 1449516142517.gif (367x219, 523K)

There are a few instances where a computer needs realtime computation, none of them involve human operators.
A command line will always be faster when used by a competent operator because the speed of a set of operations only requires a human input once, where as a gui requires human input for every operation.
There is also more information in command line tools, even on windows the systeminfo command is more useful than the any of the gui tools provide.

>samba as AD

Lmao tell me how that goes in a company of more than 25 employees

>that many 2003 servers still running around
Jesus, I know that shit was comfy, but it's time to let go.

Woah, so Linux is bad for the economy then?

>communism is bad for the economy?

Attached: 2a0.jpg (760x739, 112K)

Attached: old man yells at cloud.jpg (477x477, 29K)

Skype has a Linux port

Because you're used to Linux. Same thing for a person coming from Windows, Linux is not that straightforward for them as well

Teams can be used in a browser.
Skype exists on Linux
And if you didn't get the memo, on Aug7th Microsoft said to stay tuned for Teams for Linux

>How? Microsoft support at an enterprise level costs a fucking fortune and you deal with literal retards for your trouble.
Correct.
>Redhat support is at least competent and a shitload cheaper.
Wrong.

t. someone who's worked at a company who has to deal with both. they're all a complete fucking joke.

I loved that wizard

to extract money
>license per install
>more licenses per cpu core
>windows workstation licenses
>access license per computer accessing anything hosted on a windows server

What, dcpromo is gone?

F

Currently supporting Mariadb Galera cluster environment under Ubuntu. The whole time I've been doing it I can't help but keep saying to myself "This would be so much easier with MSSQL".

> in the fucking netherlands
lol, ok

What is this fucking from anyway?

Doogie Howser M.D.

>I have no idea why.
That's because you're a NEET.

Why wouldn't it exist?

There are customers still running Windows NT server.
The worst part though, that neither our side or customer had any documentation stating what does it do. So it just kept running.

Yeah we're using intune and group policy. As a person who's never been exposed to SCCM prior to this, I had no idea what we were missing. Intune is *the* shit!

I also agree with you on the UI. It sucks. I really wish I understoodthis better. If you open the source on any Microsoft website you get shit HTML that looks like it was auto-generated.

If you open any page on Google, it looks like it was hand crafted and is usually something you can follow (aside from minified crap).

>efficient
Probably more efficient, to some extent. Not more effective though.

As someone who manages one of them with 20 clients... Unironically it just works. And if you didn't know it you can use a pirated one.