Job without a degree

can i get a programming job without any degree? How about an online degree?

Im confident i have the skills and could build up a really nice github,

Attached: 1487888003498.png (480x480, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma
karma-engineering.com/lab/wiki/Freelancing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Im confident i have the skills and could build up a really nice github,
but you haven't, why?

just try wage cukcing in some low tier company

>can i get a programming job without any degree?
Yes
>How about an online degree?
No
>Im confident i have the skills and could build up a really nice github
Then do it

I have a lot projects done i just have to clean them up and put them on github thats all

curious about this as well
any Jow Forumstards having this kinda job?

Then stop posting 3dpd sluts that like anime shit ironically and do something about your normalfag shitty pathetic life you fucking stung

Attached: 1559063534859.png (247x261, 10K)

Would that be enough though? Im going to move across the country and don't want to be stuck working min wage

Of course, but it's harder.
You'll be instantly declined from like 50% of the job pool for not having a degree or work experience, so getting your first job is hard.

Then you're left with a lot of jobs that are either "modern" and promote things like self-taught devs or remote working, or startups that are looking for people who will be value for money and possibly perform 1.5 roles instead of 1.

Once you've had your first job, the degree is no longer relevant.

My advice is to not learn the same thing they teach in schools. Learn something a little more niche but still popular or very modern, then you can get a lot of people interested in you despite no degree just because there's a lack of devs in those fields that are available with 0 notice.

I got a $121k job offer based on a repo I had on github

lmao you will be working minimal wage regardless of the job you apply for unless you have a degree and/or experience. even people with degrees start of small. system can be different from company to company but the one i work at has a achievement system where you set half year goals and once you achieve most of those you get a raise. obviously, you would start off with a low wage and you would need to go for a degree eventually.

Yes.
You would not believe the job i have or the work that i do if i told you.
I barely even finished high school.
I now work in infosec in several different countries.

can you share the repo or describe what is was?

Sure.
It was cowsay

Yea sorry what i meant was a dead end minimum wage job, i wouldn't mind a programming job at any pay
Can you tell me how you got your first job?

bad work ethic, stop posting here and go do it

Sure: github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma

>Would that be enough though?
If it's actually good, yeah. Chances are you're overestimating your own capabilities or don't have any sense of what recruiters will find impressive though, and are just gonna make three or four repos with little shitty games or applications that automatically do some simple task that are 2 lines of actual logic and 2k lines of shitty platform-dependent GUI code

>Can you tell me how you got your first job?
I bullshitted my way into a sales role which allowed me to do technical training which ultimated led to other things.

Yes

Most companies want to see enthusiasm and skill, so create a few projects that show knowledge of many concepts and you should be fine.

McDonald's.

Is there a way i can leapfrog the promotion process?
I dont mind doing a few "extras" if your're know what i mean lol (;

>i wouldn't mind a programming job at any pay
that's the proper attitude. look for an entry level job/intership. if you pass 3 month evaluation and there won't be any complaints you'll be set.

Can you give me an example of something that would be impressive?

What i have made so far is a few unofficial apis in python, a fully featured forum in vuejs, a website that lets you browse and stream torrent files(vuejs), simple web stock screener, simple crypto trading bot in python, some blockchain dice game, csgo hack in c++
Would projects like these work to just get an entry level job?

>github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma
Welp... Not OP, but I got some work to do I think. Nice work tho.

Attached: scared-kitty.png (597x594, 519K)

If you can articulate the key features of these programs and justify how they prove your skills you'll be set for anything entry level
Brush up on basic interview stuff that might come up e.g data structures and algorithms

It's still possible to land a well paid job without creating something like this, this just makes it a lot easier

thanks and yeah I've been doing leetcode off and on for a some time since i was expecting something like this

That could be a problem as i made them with a friend and he did the coding work

PM me

>don't post cunny
What the fuck is wrong with you?

I'm trying to accumulate your post, wha

Attached: 1564268663258.jpg (362x346, 38K)

Who is this slav qt?

Having a single project with 10+stars at all is better than 99.99% of people

Webdev (php) is the easiest to get into without a degree

as a socially outcast autist for life how do you deal with the brutal process of getting a job in real life

and you probably slutted around for those 10 starts on reddit

Hey, some of us have "cunnys" you rude prick

Keep your cute funny illegal shit off of Jow Forums pls.

No, tranny.

I actually did to get mine, I got like 300 upvotes and a bunch of people starred one of my projects, so now it's at the top of my github profile and also on the top of my cv

If you actually made those things yourself then that should be sufficient for impressing a recruiter as long as you can present them well.

THE VODKA IS MY BENIS :DDD

>3dpd slut
this is someones daughter being cute and funny, you are fucked in the head

Yes I made them myself, what exactly do you mean by present them well? Just make sure to highlight what you learned and why that makes you fit for the job?

you can get any job you want if you mutilate your dick.

Yes. I don’t have a degree and I write software for a living. 183k/yr

so much garbage, you should take "A* implementation" or "Linked List implementation" and put it into one repository, called "algorithms" or something like that

This is also true.

There's a girl on my street who looks exactly like the one on the OPs pic. I don't know what to say to her

"Stay in school, don't drink, smoke or do drugs, keep a good sleep schedule, and remember to pray during the good times as well as the bad times"

Yep. Dropped out 2 years in. Had to work at a few shit tier companies for a few years, but managed a comfy benefits 6 figure remote job with unlimited PTO in under 3 years since dropping out.

It's doable, but network, and actually apply yourself. You can be the rockstar drop out amongst a bunch of useless unmotiviated wagie graduates if you just put enthusiasm and effort in.

TELL HER TO GROW SOME LIPS CUS THIN LIPS MAKES HER LOOK LIKE A BOY

Jow Forums is a cunnyseur only board
summerfags need not apply

>Im confident i have the skills and could build up a really nice github
>github
real men use gitlab

How did you get your first job?

Last year I decided to quit my miserable job and go for web dev. I have no degree, but have done web dev as a hobby before.

I was out of a job for about 5 months while I taught myself new technologies and built up a portfolio.

I'm now a full time web developer and I love my job.

Yes, you can do it, but you have to actually work for it.

>ust make sure to highlight what you learned and why that makes you fit for the job?
Sure yeah.

So did you just build a good portfolio and that's all?

How did this repo get 95 stars? I can't even tell what I'm looking at or why I would need it. No website no nothing.

take your own meds

you just do

>How did this repo get 95 stars?
bots

>How did this repo get 95 stars?
It probably does something useful unlike the gorillean nodejs projects out there that make things look pretty.

reddit

Yep, build a good portfolio, and make it entirely your own work. Try and make something that hasn't really done before, or solve problems using your chosen language/etc. For example, I made a few websites for local businesses just to show I could do the standard site build, but also made a couple of complex javascript applications to prove technical capability and /thinking like a programmer/.

The stuff you put in your portfolio you need to know inside out too - no blindlessly copying huge chunks of code from stack overflow with the "don't touch it, it works" mentality. Actually learn it. They will be asking you about your code in the interviews, and ask why you approached some functionalities in certain ways.

College dropout here who applied for basically shittier customer service in a cloud/telco/everything IT-company after dropping out.

2 years there and now I'm working in their SOC. Knowing your shit in the interview is a lot better than having a piece of paper that states that you should know your shit.

It's also a lot easier to get to a better position in the company, since you already know the systems and processes of the company in question better than some fresh off college hotshot who hasn't worked a day in his life.

Shotgunned our resumes until I got a entry level dev position. By six months in I was making 85k and was in charge of a team, and then I just traded up for five years.

How old were you? Do you think age matters when getting an entry dev position?

If you want a job everything is .net/angular/sql

no

Attached: kys.jpg (449x401, 45K)

cope

Are these projects fully complete? Can they be expanded? They may ask you questions such as "if you were asked to add a feature that _____, how would you implement that?"

Also, they seem a little sporadic. You need to build and demonstrate things that are in the same field as what you're going for. There's no point going for a C++ position and showing them "here's a website I made with vuejs".

sorry i didn't look at the page before
it's a good project
personally at this point trying to write a project of this size would just make me cringe unless it was after getting the job

What do you guys think about transitioning into CS with an engineering degree?

Just become a wordpress dev, pretty lame but earn well. And it allows you to grow into web 'dev' terratory.

I've worked one for several years, but got laid off recently.

if you're good at maths, sure. Try some programming beforehand just to see if you're ok at that.

I make 52K/yr as a high school dropout, what's holding you back?

People with advanced degrees are working minimum wage. Go to trade school, faggit.

Mods!

Also source?

How did you get your first job?

I was 30 when I got my first dev job.

black tranny quota had to be mety

If you ain't lyin, you ain't tryin.

Pad your resume but do it with stuff that you could reasonably accomplish while on the job. All you really have to do is show enough confidence and skill to make them relax and not suspicious and then youre in.

Dont try this on big fish with actual HR people that are well paid/trained. Go for the little guys that may not even have HR; like non-profits, local government places like city hall or a city department.

It happens way more than people think and works way better than it should.

there are people who've earned their phds or accumulated nearly 10 years of exp by that age bro even people who are probably less intelligent than you
how do you even cope with the daily embarrassment of those facts

Considering that 90% of phds make less than him I’d say he’s doing just fine.

>actually thinking college is a worthwhile investment
>when elites got caught buying their ivy league degrees outright
Wew. Enjoy 80% of your "training" having nothing to do with relevant skills.

what's 'relevant' faggot he's trained in academia for academic purposes
that's why there is a second example to beat the dumb muh money muh relevance poorly applied half arguments

You're depreciating the second example with by interchanging it with the first. Also what worth is experience by itself again? Just look at the average boomer, they've literally a lifetime of experience for how much that's worth.

You sound salty.

I had to drop out of GA Tech because my father became very ill and I had to support my family. I’m just fine knowing that I am doing just as well or better as a bunch of faggots who spend the better part of a decade in college and have six figures of student loan debt. Maybe it took me a few years longer to get my shit sorted, but I ain’t losing any sleep.

is this the cunny thread?

Tell her that she shouldn't be talking to strangers. Especially pedophiles fucks like you.

Solved

karma-engineering.com/lab/wiki/Freelancing

What a terrible fucking article.

I have worked as a full stack for just shy of four years with no degree, but first two years were an apprenticeship (UK, guessing US equivalent would be a paid internship were you also get vocational qualifications). There are employers who will refuse you interview without a degree, but once you have enough experience it doesn't really matter.

>degree in math
>no connections
>no projects
>no social skills
>don't know how to design software
>don't know how to use git
>actually pretty good at leetcode type questions
Is there any hope for me?

yes. find a nerd to work with

God I wish I was that bottle.

damn I want get drunk so bad