/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: the_end.png (1920x1080, 993K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/cwWQCb
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2BXww6
pcpartpicker.com/list/DnYDbX
youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7lInuvG1E
youtu.be/fl_bUBldX4Q
youtu.be/xH3TQn3sotI?t=578
youtu.be/xH3TQn3sotI?t=921
pcpartpicker.com/list/qhcyYT
pcpartpicker.com/list/6BbMGG
newegg.com/p/13C-002D-000A7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pcpartpicker.com/list/cwWQCb
Pls respond, kind sirs

requesting help on starting with monitors

Anyone with an Asus MG279Q using an nvidia card and GSync?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2BXww6

How is my build?

Is it true Corsair ram should be avoided with AMD build? Anyone got an alternative to offer?

not anymore, but it works, gotta edit some regs though

Do you remember the Hz value in your OSD jumping around a bunch? It seems to work fine, but I'm just wondering if it actually is.

Also, did you switch Monitor or GPU?

Just put the 9700K on the list. It's a good buy depending on the use case.

yeah, ant lag doesn't work when your processing time is under 15ms already, you are not a superhuman to feel that
can you run more than 2 games at stable 144hz though?
oh and youa re still pushing "it's been around for ages" meme, just like nvidia anti lag that been around for 10 years right?

I guess if you don't care about gaming/image quality, you can go with a TN since that should be cheapest. I don't think ultrawide is a meme if you simply want space. I guess it doesn't need to be high refresh rate either and just 60Hz will do.

The issue with gaming usually is that it's often not supported by games and can be fucky.

GPU

you mean not synced to FPS? it flickered in loading screens for me, that's it

just say gaming

The back of the my 2080 super says min requirements are 650w. I have a seasonic 750w on the way. Is that enough?

Thanks user. What's a TN?

750W is plenty.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DnYDbX

How can I improve my build, also what case would be appropriate - the bigger the better, must have front bays for CD drive, accessible USB 3.0 would be very handy as well.
Will likely be a 3950X instead of the 3900.
Solely for high end music production and film scoring - I am aware of the latency of the 3900 (and presumably the 3950) - I use high enough buffer settings to not be effected.

Are there any 64gb RAM kits with good timings that are under 500$ (maybe 600) ?

Yeah, like it will jump 20Hz lower than FPS randomly like in this video, where it jumps to 119Hz, but I didn't notice anything "bad" or tearing, so just wondering if that's normal or if it should always be synched like with Freesync

youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7lInuvG1E

You are going way overkill with that psu
Rest is ok

A panel type. Other general panel types are IPS or VA.

Buldzoid gayman build
youtu.be/fl_bUBldX4Q

hm, may be because you essentially overclock it, FS range is 35-90 by default
try running stable 144hz at 60fps, I promise you won't notice a difference.

Lads, will a 3600 be enough for the next few years for 1440p gaming?

Attached: 1493444876585.gif (354x534, 208K)

yes.

Last question, if I can get a 650 seasonic PSU for $100 or a 750 evga PSU for $110 or so, which should I get?

Attached: Hippo.gif (374x308, 2M)

Ah, I guess you didn't overclock? Maybe it just needs a bit more tweaking.
Thanks for the help. Really hard to get such specific info and no one seems to care anymore since it's been available.

depends what PSU at what rating
but you can't go wrong with seasonic.

Pic related seems like a pretty good deal
Has decent reviews too.

Attached: cheap 4k ips.png (1364x581, 508K)

Both are 80+ gold rating.

Attached: fat fucking snake.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

seasonic.

Your build looks fine. You should get the phanteks enthoo case - really nice stuff. The only thing is your video card is underpowered. You should get a minimum of a rx 500 series (maybe a 560) unless you’re using very old software; if you’re using old DAWs why even get such an overkill build for them. VSTs are a little more demanding on graphics than they were a few years ago, especially when you have multiple windows open. As far as ram kits you may have luck getting a used one at that price unless there’s a huge drop

>I guess you didn't overclock?
I didn't run it for long, so it may behaved same way as yours. As I said I can't tell the difference between running freesync and stable 144hz at 60fps, I even think stable 144hz looks a bit better.
am I just blind or you experience the same with this monitor?

I see, any reason why? My estimated wattage is 404w right now, so I admit a 650 feels like it could be kind of low? But i've never built a PC before so i'm a bit worried over it all.

are you getting vega 64 or 2080 to get wattage?

2070 super.

Attached: it always comes down to the hunter's helper to clean up after these sorts of messes.gif (300x200, 1.89M)

ah also, because seasonic actually produces PSUs, EVGA just rebrands them

Tbh, yeah, I have the same experience and also wonder if I'm just blind.
I notice it in tests like the windmill thing, but in games running things at 60 fps @144Hz everything looks just fine and for the longest time I wasn't convinced that freesync was even working.

650 is enough, specially gold one.

My old 1060 actually is a huge bottleneck whenever I have more than 3/4 fabfilter/high gfx VSTs on screen with my master analysers, especially when they are on different screens, dropouts galore.
What would be a suitable GPU for dual monitors, potentially having say 20/30 Pro Q's/Span/Totalyser/Insight on fast movements open at once (just for the sake of argument).
I am using Ableton, which is terribly optimised but the workflow is good (for me).
I would not be opposed to spending decent money on a decent GPU as long as it is quiet and performs well for the next few years.

That case looks nice - do you know if it has dust filters?

Replaced my 2070s and got a red devil.
Not bad and I got 90$ back

Attached: 45826310-3BCA-4DB7-88DC-1D78289D090E.jpg (1242x936, 1002K)

I ran native freesync for couple days since getting 5700xt, and switched back to 144hz today. nope still can't tell the difference aside from desktop feels way better at 144hz than 90hz.
so I guess gsync/freesync is only good for low end monitors of around 75hz.

how do you guys fix your GPU sag
is buying something like this worth it

Attached: Graphics-Card-GPU-Brace-Support-Video-Card-Sag-HolderHolster-Bracket-2-800x800.jpg (800x800, 69K)

why? I guess $90 is a good enough reason.

hmm if your old 1060 is giving you issues, i'd go with the radeon rx 5700 with 8gb. I personally use an rx 560 with 4 gb and don't have any issues, but i'm also on Cubase 7 from 2013 so
>werks on my machineTM

and yes, the case does have dust filters. I used it to help my friend with a threadripper build for grad school and it's awesome. it looks way better than the photos online would have you believe, too. great case all the way around. make sure you get whatever the model is with sound dampening

Do you happen to have Ark Survival Evolved and feel like comparing your performance with this youtu.be/xH3TQn3sotI?t=578

Just wondering if it's really that abysmal (1440p, High settings with max resolution scale)

in my experience the new 1060 6gb punches well above its weight if you fully overclock it, not expensive

my GPUs don't sag. I ran mostly Asus and Sapphire for the last 7 years, maybe that's why

Haha, same. I turned off freesync at some point (before OCing) because desktop at 144Hz feels so much better.

Oops, wrong timestamp. 5700XT starts here youtu.be/xH3TQn3sotI?t=921

Sadly I do not but I'm playing MHW at max setting on 1440p and I'm around 60-65 which is normal unless I had that nivida setting on

1.Price
2.All my monitors are free sync (I'm aware of gysnc but the guessing game is going to be a pain in the ass when getting a better monitor in the future)
3. Hackintosh for work, I work in mobile apps and I refuse to get ass raped on a macbook

yeah cubase is a lot better optimised, i guess because of the ASIO buffer - but also Ableton is just terrible at it.
I'm not really concerned with the way it looks, just noise levels and airflow.
I'll look into the newer RX series'. Thanks a lot.

>AA - Epic
found your performance idiocy. I bet the game runs at 120fps+ at least at 1080p without that AA level.

is the 2700X worh it? looking at camelcamelcamel it seems like it's never been cheaper on amazon
I only do programming (heavy multithread stuff, want 8C/16T) and light gaming, potentially edit photos from time to time

>is the 2700X worh it?
for cheap? absolutely

I'm finally ready to buy parts and get a new PC built. I had already come here previously for a parts list since I was picking out monitors and wanted to get an idea of what to aim for, but things have changed a lot since then for CPUs and GPUs, especially with the new Ryzen chips.

So, can someone help me with a build? I'm looking for a build that can power 1440p 100+ FPS while ALSO streaming/multitasking. My budget is flexible but I'm looking for something in the range of $2k USD. I'll post the previous parts list an user gave me before the new Ryzen stuff came out to give you an idea of what I was aiming for:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qhcyYT

To give some more detailed info on what I'd like help with:
>CPU and GPU obviously need to be changed. I'd like to be able to hit 100FPS in most games even when streaming, though I don't often play excessively demanding AAA games anyway.
>I do need a case, my current one is trash. Preferably something with easy access for cleaning or troubleshooting.
>Ignore the HDD, I'm planning to go full SSD. 2-3TB of storage is plenty for my needs, but I'm curious if NVMe is worth considering or not

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached: 1545739507666.jpg (1200x1200, 187K)

>those hands
post bob and vegan pls

I'm a man

What's the best/most efficeint 2070 super out right now? I assume a triple fan one, but are two fan models alright?

Attached: 1466878362828.gif (314x447, 591K)

Regular RX 5700 or 1660TI?

>but are two fan models alright?
no, the chip is giant

Post feminine penis

Rx5700 by a mile.

post feminine feet

so basically hold off on buying them until a 3 fan model is in stock?

how is this even a question? regular 5700 is 2060S level +-2%

I doubt it. The AA doesn't seem to change much in this game. It's just an unoptimized mess. Shadows have a much greater impact. Also, I was specifically asking about 1440p.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6BbMGG

Asus 2070 super (3 fan model) or EVGA 20760 super (also 3 fan model)?

>The AA doesn't seem to change much in this game.
it usually does, and it doesn't look like FXAA
don't have the game either, so can't tell for sure how it would run on my settings

5700xt 2 fan model.

>1440p max settings
>60-65
What a badly optimized game. Hopefully Iceborne is better performance wise.

Apart from the ram speed and timings, what brand should I get and does it even matter? I'll be using a 3600

Okay but if I have to get a 2070 super, which one?
>But why do you have to get a 2070 super
Just answer the question

evga>asus in terms of quality control and customer support

What's a good aftermarket cooler for the 3600? I want something better than stock but still affordable.

hyper 212 evo

Hyper 212 Evo

>capcom
>fixing shit
Without that nivida only setting the game will run like a console, I gave up on even attempting to bother with higher frame rate due to how off shit looked in dliss mode

Try not to go any slower than 3200 cl16

PCcooler GI-X5B is probably one of the best budget coolers around

160W TDP
5 Heatpipes
8~26.5dB
and its $16 newegg.com/p/13C-002D-000A7

Attached: CO-GIX5B.4_LG.jpg (640x638, 34K)

if asus is strix then asus
if lower model than evga
but really evga RMA is so good only because you have to RMA half of them.

Thanks, this is about what I expected and it looks like it'll work perfectly fine. One thing though, I still want to swap out the HDD for an SSD. What's a good 1TB or 2TB SSD? I want to compare the prices of the two.

You've got another m.2 slot you could use, so you could go Intel 660p. 1TB is currently $95 and 2TB is $185 on newegg.

I see, thanks. I'm just trying to work out how to round out the rest of my build and right now CPU cooler is the only thing eluding me I guess. I might go with a 212 evo I guess.

Pls respond bro.

try dark rock pro 4 or noctua nhd 15
it's overkill but chances are it will cool passively at 0 Db most of the time and you can reuse it if you decide to upgrade your cpu

>seagate hdd
oof
>RGayB ram
switch it for ballistix sports 3200mhz cl 16
>NVMEme
get a bigger 2.5" sata for the same price

I'm using Corsair RAM with my 3700X right now.

Thanks user, that's perfect, and it comes in at just the right price point.

What's wrong with seagate?

nothing
only issue I have with your build is expensive cooler when one half the price would do you better

It's not my build but I was thinking of getting a seagate HDD.

Don't know how it works but does the tomahawk max have enough fan headers to power the 3 fans from the meshify s2?

Bear in mind that it is QLC NAND, so as long as you're using it more for storage rather than a primary drive, you should be good to go.

It's my build. Could you recommend me a cooler?

I haven't seen people complaining about high voltages and/or burnout on their ryzen cpus in a few weeks. Was that all a meme?

Attached: 134951953790.jpg (705x499, 42K)

what would you suggest if I cant get my hand on a SSD Adata ? I thought about Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500 Gb + Crucial MX500 2 Tb. Samsung for main drive and Crucial for Games.

Noctua NH-U14S

How does the 5700XT ROG-STRIX Asus compare to Saphire pulse and Red Devil ? its more pricey so it should be better right ??

Attached: 1451834747499.png (500x720, 518K)