/hpg/ - Headphone General

What audiophile memes have you fallen for this week, Jow Forums?

post requests in this format if you want useful recommendations
>budget
>location
>open/closed
>past headphones
>sound preferences
>intended use

Attached: download.png (733x900, 745K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audio-technica.com/m50xbt/index.html
audiocheck.net/audiotests_mosquito.php
amazon.com/dp/B072LTJDH6/ref=twister_B072PQRT87?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for die weeb

what a cute pussy

Looking for a new cable for the KZ ZST earbuds. Does it matter which silver upgrade I get? There's one that takes a month to ship so fuck that. Also are the bluetooth adapters any good?

Attached: memebuds.jpg (1000x1000, 60K)

Dont pimp your civic. Save and get a better iem

>not buying BAs, filters, tubes, resin, etc. and making your own truly custom IEMs

I own the T2s but I find it annoying to use my phone with their cable. Are jack-to-bluetooth adapters a meme to avoid?

just bought my endgame pair of headphones -- the HD 6XX
I am pretty much set for life now

Im actually thinking of doing that. I need some kind of project to do to keep me from going brain dead

that's a boy

I've been using an EarStudio ES100 for about 6 months now and I'm very happy with it. It's tiny and makes every balanced and unbalanced headphone I've tried it with sound better than plugged into onboard audio. Sound is on par with my Clip+, minus the honking sounds the Clip+ makes when accessing the SD card. It uses two amps together to get output impedance down to 0.5 ohms in unbanaced mode and to provide more power in balanced. It supports Bluetooth 5.0 and all the codecs other than AptX-LL. The only gripe I have is the clip on the back, which broke recently, but I've made work again using a thin zip tie. When that breaks altogether I'll probably dremel it off and stick a basic shirt mic clip on with mounting tape.

I've also tried an MPOW Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter and cannot recommend it. Output is noisy and sounds like it has some output impedance. It also starts out a bit below the correct frequency and then drifts up gradually until it sounds more correct. I wouldn't have figured this out just listening to it, it just sounds crappy and then gets less crappy over a few minutes. I figured out it's from frequency drift by playing a sine wave, recording its output and doing a spectrum plot. Also only supports SBC. It was cheap though.

Just ordered a pair of these: audio-technica.com/m50xbt/index.html
How'd I do lads?

I'd like to know this, too. I'm planning on buying the wired version of those headphones.

Not true

That bluetooth receiver looks neat user. I appreciate your technical reply, though I must say I mostly use my t2s for podcasts when commuting and I'm not too much into hi-fi and I can't justify spending so much on a receiver when that's pretty much my only use case. Now I wonder if all other cheapish 3.5mm bt adapters have the same issue even though I probably wouldn't even notice. That ES100 looks too nice to have a simple plastic clip, maybe you could try looking for a metal one or at least one that's not too fragile

>buying without auditioning first

you fucked up

I bought a 20€ BT receiver and there's no audible difference between it and my laptop and desktop 3.5mm. Obviously if you plug your T2 into it there's still going to be wires though, so I don't see how it would be much different from plugging to your phone. How do the wires bother you?

The ES100's clip is actually metal, though the loop on that where the pin goes through is what broke. The back of the device where it's mounted is plastic.

For podcasts and calls, the cheaper MPOW one would be fine though the model I have doesn't have a clip since it's more marketed toward adding Bluetooth to cars that have an aux port. I've stuck a basic clip onto it with mounting tape. I sometimes use it stuck to the equally cheap Monoprice 8323 headphones with its male-male 3.5mm plug for a truly wireless but not hi-fi ready experience.

Yeah unfortunately there is literally nowhere to do that where I live. Not a single brick and mortar store carry them. The one physical store in Copenhagen that would have had anything Audio Technica went out of business a couple years back.
That was such a nice store too, damn shame. I bought my current Beyerdynamics there after spending a good hour just listening to different headphones.

I do have 2 weeks to return them if I don't like them at least, so there's that.

>I do have 2 weeks to return them if I don't like them at least, so there's that.

ah it's cool then

What Bluetooth receiver did you get? Even with cheap headphones, my MPOW one is noticeably worse than onboard audio, but still very suitable for speech.
I use a Bluetooth receiver with my phone for a few reasons: It's more convenient to have a short wire going to a clip on my collar, leaving my phone free for me to move around and use. And the headphone output on my S7 Edge has some quality issues when used with good IEMs. Also, when used with a computer, it's nice to be able to get up and walk around the room or use the bathroom without pausing what's playing and unplugging.

It's a no-brand chink one. Can't find pics unfortunately but I suppose most of them are ok as long as they're not the cheapest kind or very tiny - might be a bit of lottery though... I totally agree on your last point, they can be comfy with headphones too.

Well I saw an mmcx to bluetooth adapter for the t2s on chinkexpress and thought it'd be less of an hassle than the long wire. What bothers me is having the long wire hang in front of my pants all the time. It's not too annoying but what I also thought is that I could just roll up the wire and put it inside my jacket with a bt receiver, except while it's summer ofc I guess I just have to keep the hanging cable.

Ah it's always the small little plastic thing that breaks and makes you wonder why didn't they make it out of metal too. Maybe I'll buy a receiver just to try it out.

1st(only) for END GAME

Attached: 71756C51-A17A-4713-93CD-25AD4ADE226C.jpg (2921x3079, 1.89M)

HD 660 S a worthy upgrade over HE-400? I was looking at other hifiman because I really like these headphones, but there seems to be QC issues as of late.

>Ken Ball will be bankrupt and in jail soon

I don't know how to feel about this...

ye thats the way to do it on amazon
buy something, realize it sucks, return it

>Ah it's always the small little plastic thing that breaks and makes you wonder why didn't they make it out of metal too.
Strangely the bit that broke is metal. The plastic loop on the back of the case that the pin also goes through is fine. I'm thinking I may have just got one with a bad metal clip.

There's issues with counterfeit products there on some brands, even if you're careful to buy only "sold and shipped by Amazon" stuff. They often treat their own and seller inventories of the same thing as interchangeable.

But I don't need anything better, they're great for ~$20, much better than anything you'll find at a store and I really don't feel like spending more. I just listen to podcasts.

>I just listen to podcasts.
Why did you order $20 earbuds from China and not get $4 ones from Walmart that will be just as good for listening to spoken word?

What are some good IEMs for female vocals?
budget $200

Great album, good headphones

Nice

Etys have good upper-mids, consider the ER2SE for a good budget IEM with a focus on upper mids.

Personally I think the ER2XR is the overall more pleasant IEM with better sub-bass extension, but due to the bass boost, the upper mids appear more recessed. if you don't care for isolation, find a pair of Sony MDR-EX800ST used

Grados my guy
Don't bother spending more than 100 bucks on the SR80es. Thank me later

i love my hifiman he-4xx!!

Attached: SmartSelect_20190811183631_Gallery.jpg (1440x1829, 1.56M)

>1 year old
laaame. my cat is like 12 years old, i think he's immortal

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a recommendation for Bluetooth headphones with ANC of possible

>€100
>UK/IE
>Closed
>Sennheiser HD 25SP (daily at home), ATH M50, Grados SR60, Sony MDR-XB500 (daily at work), Sony MDR-ZX110NA (travel & work)
>sound preferences - prefer bassy sound
>intended use - using around house, office, watching occasional movie

Cheers

audiocheck.net/audiotests_mosquito.php

I accidentaly played this at max volume because they fucking put a warning about it at the end of the page which I couldn't read from my mobile device, now my ears won't stop ringing am I'm afriad I damaged my headphones. Assuming it was a m40x did I fuck up both?

Redpill me on Stax

great now I can't hear them anymore

>budget for doorbell 5eur a month
>location Montevideo Uruguay
>open/closed Open
>past headphones None
>sound preferences ringtone.mp3
>intended use

Attached: _107156329_p07bp80s.jpg (1024x576, 176K)

best amp/DAC combo for ~100 bucks?
only needs to drive a pair of HD598s (~50 ohm) and SR325e (~30 ohm)

out of curiosity why do you need an amp for those

You are now officially a boomer. Congratulations and welcome to the club. Be sure to collect your complementary Monster, riding mower, and 401(k).

they both require an amp. how else are you going to power something that doesn't run on batteries

Should work just plugged directly into your laptop or phone, but a basic USB C audio dongle should do the trick otherwise. If you want USB+Bluetooth, ES100 is a good choice.

Give it until tomorrow and see if your ears have stopped ringing. Often it works like any loud noise, where they ring for a while and then stop. If it keeps going, you have tinnitus and will have to learn to live with it.

>out of curiosity why do you need an external amp for those

>budget $90
>location California
>open/closed Open
>past headphones AKG K240STUDIO Didn't like the size of the ears on this one. Need them to be big. Comfort is a high priority
>sound preferences Don't know exactly what this means. Don't have a preference
>intended use Gaming

I've been eyeballing the Philips SHP9500 headphones. Pretty cheap and looks super comfortable

Schiit Fulla 2 or FiiO K3

>I've been eyeballing the Philips SHP9500 headphones. Pretty cheap and looks super comfortable
Don't get them they suck. No bass and awful treble.

because you're not an audiophile until you have the requisite amount of unnecessary equipment.
should really get a separate amp and DAC for gearmaxing

makes perfect sense

You Buy Them

>he doesn't know
Look up sekiro

Any other recommendations then?

>I am pretty much set for life now
Yeah I'll give you five years before the itch comes.

660s vs HD 560?

hey, what’re you listening tonight, user?

Attached: DF6A6468-CEB8-4A8F-86EA-E475E328463C.jpg (4032x2825, 2.16M)

Sadly no. That particular price range seems to be pretty problematic, but I'm sure other anons know some good recs.

God these sound so good.

Attached: received_1250318715139600.jpg (3953x2228, 645K)

And who gnows maybe you won't hear any problems with SHP9500 (though I kinda doubt it, there's glaring grain in its treble), they're at least very comfortable.

you pay that kind of money id hope theyre good

Anyone have these pads?

amazon.com/dp/B072LTJDH6/ref=twister_B072PQRT87?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Will they turn my headphones into bass canons?

My dog died at 18

No it's fucking not you brainlet, pads don't make headphones into bass canons suddenly. Also fuck off

You have no reason to be this upset

I bought those exact ones and it sounds like someone speaking through a tunnel filled with socks. COMPLETE GARBAGE, not even worth the $4, not even if you need them right away. Never get them for any reason, I don't know what the go-to crappy earbuds are but those can't be it.

anyone own a pair of these?
how do you like them?

Attached: Audeze-LCD-2-Classic.jpg (1024x1280, 387K)

no mids

Post current favorite and your endgame.

I have some shitty logitech Z150 speakers, would the headphone jack on that offer more power than the port on my Lenovo X220, and would I notice a difference with my Sennheiser Hd58x's?

I wasn't aware the Walmart $4 ones were that bad. Never tried them, assumed they would be acceptable for speech but sound like monkey diarrhea for music.

I got a pair of Sony MDR-EX14AP from Best Buy for $9. These are the cheapest earphones Sony makes as far as I can tell. They're tiny and comfortable. The sound is obviously not amazing, but it isn't bad either. It somehow manages to avoid the usual pitfalls of cheapass throwaway earphones -- doesn't sound muffled or muddy, bass, mids and treble are all present, one of them doesn't overpower everything else, it doesn't sound harsh, and there aren't particularly "shouty" frequencies. Detail is lacking and instruments kind of flow together. Some music sounds acceptable and actually enjoyable, while some tracks just sound sad.

>never any feet in these threads anymore
What happened?

user...

are you challenging me, footlet?

Hmmm good to know, might get myself a pair for emergencies. But yeah those "onni" brand Walmart ones are like wearing glasses with the wrong prescription, I've been given better ones for free on plane rides.

WHERE ARE MY HEADPHONE ANIME GIRL FEET

Yeah at most, I literally got my HD58x a month ago and already want to upgrade, at first I thought they were gonna be my endgame but I kept listening and wanted more... Got other things to buy first but something in the $400usd range is next on my list...

What's the consensus on the Sendy Aiva?

If you have the HE-400 already, like it and it isn't broken then stay with it. The hd660s is decent but not that much of an upgrade over the HE-400s.

My cat died at 20, now that is one old ass cat.

Like I said before, Kanas or KXXS are the best match for that.

Fell for this meme almost 7 years ago. These headphones are a part of me at this point.

How much am I missing from not spending literally 10 times the cost of these to get a gamer tier audiophile setup?

Attached: superlux-hd-681.jpg (472x378, 12K)

It's easier for cats to live longer because no one pure breeds cats. They have better genetic diversity.

Portable electrostats for around 700 - 800.

ESP950 + battery pack or SRS-002.

It'll just be endless upgrades if you go that route. Just buy Stax and get it over with.

This is like 95% completion endgame.

110% map completion, all collectables, all sidequests, all skits unlocked, new game+ extra hard mode 100% endgame would be the L700's.

Attached: IMG_20190901_153712-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 512K)

Stax L300LE and Ether CX, I have a ZMF Aeolus on the way as well and looking for some endgame IEMs

Similarly, if you're gonna get a dog, get a mutt. They're healthier and life longer.

So /hpg/, what are you doing on this fine night?

Attached: IMG_20190901_000257.jpg (4608x2112, 2.77M)

Writing a D&D campaign jamming to the FFVII OST with my Sennheiser HD58X.

I just so happen to have a graph of those $4 wal-mart buds.

Attached: B71DACE2-1111-4C6B-92E3-2918F15E95B8.png (1024x701, 50K)

LOL. I see the source of the "tunnel filled with socks" effect. This is one of the common cheapass earbud pitfalls: lots of bass but next to nothing else.

more like no highs?

Arya are current fave and endgame.

I've had 58X for 1 year+ now. wanted to ugprade multiple times but turned it down. Best ones I've heard are Clear, Arya, DT1990. I'd suggest going for them.

what's a good dac for the he-4xx? I already have a DAP with dac functionality through usb, but it's kind of clunky