/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1527411118293.jpg (580x358, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w6lYYjIFvks
pastebin.com/PyRb5WFL
fsf.org/news/alexandre-oliva-joins-free-software-foundation-board-of-directors
gentoostudio.org/
askubuntu.com/questions/652326/whats-a-virtual-package
gnu.org/software/moe/moe.html
pastebin.com/af3hZWiW
youtube.com/watch?v=m423g-W-iVA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Three hours in to using a new DE and I can't remember what I liked about it when I first started. Is this normal? I've "downgraded" from Ubuntu's shitty version of Gnome 3 to Gnome Flashback (Compiz) and I can't remember why I preferred this to Ubuntu's shit stain. What have I forgotten that made Gnome Flashback good when I started it?

The promise of the shiny new thing, that did not deliver. Yes, it happens quite often.
youtube.com/watch?v=w6lYYjIFvks

does power management programs (e.g. tlp) and desktop environment really matters (at all) when it comes to preserving battery life? or i should just focus on linux kernel and drivers used?

Install powertop.

does the kodi android app need special permissions for a nfs mount to work? set up the ones in the wiki (rw,all_squash,insecure) with the static ip of the phone but it ends up hanging and failing to connect when I try adding it.

Hey guys, I need some help. Suddenly I can't create new folders using KDE Dolphin on an ntfs storage drive. I have ntfs-3g installed and I could do this before. What do?

Nvm, this was caused by an improper WIndows shut-down.

How do you run a script at startup in those recent Ubuntu gnome DE?
My dotfiles remap the keyboard and launch some utilities I like, but Ubuntu is ignoring my xbindkey and xmodmap.

What's the "new" .xinitrc?

Attached: 1553192098255.png (304x577, 414K)

something autostart applications in the system settings somewhere.

I want to setup a VPN server on my home network and I'm worried about security.
Is hosting the sever on a VM good enough? Since my router doesn't support it.

Write a script, make a .desktop file to execute the script, and drop it in ~/.config/autostart. This has the advantage of not being X11 specific so it'll work if and when your DE switches to Wayland.

You should be using a real Linux or BSD system as your router. Consumer router firmware is universally trash.

I'll try that. Thanks

Is stallman redpilled? is gnu/linux legit?

NT >=6.2 doesn't shut down by default, only hibernate or reboot. Linux won't write to an NTFS partition that's hibernating to avoid data corruption.

Won't people think im a sperg/autist if i use Gnu/Linux?

Maybe a decade ago. Now Microsoft has ~14% total device share.

what do you name your downloads folders?

~/Downloads

OwO

pastebin.com/PyRb5WFL

Anyone able to explain why this would suddenly stop working partially when I switched from Sway back to i3-gaps? This is an i3blocklet that displays the weather conditions and temperature on the bar. When I switched back to i3-gaps because I needed accelerated graphical drivers I find the fucking click events only half work. Left clicking opens the NOAA report in less as expected. Right clicking attempts to open it and immediately closes. When I manually run the command that is intended by the right click it opens as expected so its not an issue of the mount missing.

where do you guys store your pgp key backups?

Attached: keys.jpg (800x549, 845K)

Nice try, NSA.

Why do I need to add the /64 netmask after the IPv6 address in ufw to make it allow connections from that single address? For IPv4 I only needed the netmask if I wanted to allow from a whole subnet.

TLP can help by turning off certain hardware. Desktop environments don't matter, unless you install one that comes with a program that encodes video and mines bitcoin in the background.

brainlet here, how to be able to have a choice of kernel on boot? I use 4.14 now, will downloading a new kernel be enough and i wont delete my previous one?

If user from previous thread is still willing to help, after moving kconfig.h to include/linux I get the following error:
>/lib/modules/4.19.66-1-MANJARO/build/include/linux/kconfig.h:5:10: fatal error: 'generated/autoconf.h' file not found
Should I just copy the entire contents of build folder over at this point? This seems to be a kde thing I'm guessing from the kconfig.h naming technique.

~/downloads
don't fall for the uppercase D meme

Can I change the kernel version on nixos?

I'm sick of configuring Gentoo and OpenBSD. What is a distrobution that respects my freedoms that does have a ridiculous instalaltion process?

Gentoo or Fedora

Just install new kernel and you can select which kernel on the boot screen.

Also, if you have only 1 kernel now, don't delete it. Alway have spare kernel in case something get fucked up.

Oh look, I guess it's time to spend the entire day emerging Chromium again

guix

Ok, going and installing linux419-headers fixed it... I feel a little dumb, but at the same time that I've learned something. Ty for user from previous thread for helping.

How do I make Linux run apps and do I/O faster?

After I installed Debian 10, the screen went black during dist-upgrade. I think the process was finished by then, so I rebooted the system. So far, so good.
Now my question is: how can I be sure that the upgrade went alright? apt update says that everything is ok.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg (521x550, 25K)

you don't have to "configure" either of those after installing them

About to take off.

Attached: 2019-08-14-15:43:43.png (231x218, 23K)

What's the difference between Gnome Flashback (Compiz) and Gnome Flashback (Metacity)? I'm sure that they're supposed to have difference WMs, but I can't tell the difference between them. They seem absolutely identical.

Just got a great deal on a new laptop, been using my gfs mbp for a year now. What distro should I put on here if I want simple, nearly ready to go installation? I have kubuntu on my desktop but I don't feel like fucking around with ricing shit. I'm unironically thinking elementary because it looks nice but I may just get over it and do another install of kubuntu.

Attached: Capture.png (649x571, 83K)

metacity and compiz are two different wm's
metacity is a basic wm, and compiz is that one with all those fancy effects like the cube

Attached: Google Chrome.jpg (2800x1556, 616K)

The smile you get when you use free software fsf.org/news/alexandre-oliva-joins-free-software-foundation-board-of-directors

Attached: alexandre-oliva.png (582x684, 630K)

Then why can't I tell the difference between them?

because they have the same theme/decoration set?

No. Only talk about tech when the topic comes up and you're safe among normalfags.

Screenfetch gives me this:
cat: /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input invalid argument

What do?

Attached: ettwsf.png (600x600, 143K)

LFS

How do you feel about exFAT?

Apply only as a last resource, for example, if you need to access files over 4 GB in a pendrive in compatible cell phones.

Good thing i was clever enough to resize /boot partition to 200MB

I am still toying with the idea of sharing a partition for virtual memory between Linux and Windows 10.
So, I'm thinking that perhaps the old GRUB for DOS might still be able to load Windows 10.
In this case, boot into Linux will rebuild, with a script, the partition as swap space.
And for Windows, I would boot into FreeDOS first. There, AUTOEXEC.BAT would be used to format the partition as FAT32 or NTFS, and after that, GRUB.EXE would load Windows 10, that would be already configured to use this partition; Windows recreates the swap file if it is absent and the partition is available.
Yes, I would need to be careful with GPT GUID, but fortunately my PC still supports MBR boot.

Stop using Windows.

Reminder that exFAT code submitted by Samsung is proprietary.

Sorry, sometimes I fix normie computers, I need to have Windows in the small corner it deserves to be, in this case for work, not gaming.

Distro-hopping

Lately I've been trying to find a good distro for very very low-latency audio-production. I've tried getting it to work right on arch and gentoo like two years ago and got it kinda close with arch before switching to gentoo for a year with inconsistent results, but I switched to Fedora everything like a year ago which has pretty dated/sparse repos for pro-audio software.
rn I'm using KDE Neon with the kxstudio repo but even with the low-latency kernel i'm getting a 30ms loopback latency. I'm sure having to run KDE concurrently is a big part of it, even though it's what kxstudio recommends.
I'm leaning towards revisiting Arch, but if somebody has experience with explicitly audio-focused or low-latency distros (ubuntu studio?) then some opinions would be really appreciated

I don't know how well this works but I'd imagine that you could get it to be the same as you did with vanilla Gentoo
gentoostudio.org/

Hi friendly linuxbros, need a recommendation. Im not really particular nor a distrohopper however ive stuck ubuntu on an old laptop and its come up inadequate. The laptop has a radeon 7500M and i3-2350M w/ 8GB RAM and an ssd. Its fairly old/slow but not awful. Unfortunately
1) the screen is small and gnome seems to waste a heap of it between the titlebars and desktop bars
2) The UI is really sluggish, eg when alt tabbing or opening the app launcher/menu.
Can anyone offer a recommendation of something that will be equally painless (i dont have time to mess about configuring/maintaining this laptop) and that will have a snappier UI?

Going to sell off an SSD I'm no longer using. How should I scrub it from data? dd? Have had EXT4 on it.

you can install a lighter DE/WM you know

Considered this, but last time i tried sticking another DE on an ubuntu install i kept getting the login manager crashing, system never felt stable. Thought perhaps is smarter to just install a distro with a more appropriate DE off the bat. Do you have a DE you would recommend for these specs?

Use "tasksel" to swap to xubuntu or lubuntu, gnome is quite chonky and unstable as all hell, you'll want to swap the login from GDM to something like litedm or sddm.

Xfce or LXQt

Cheers guys, ill try them out - tasksel sounds convenient.
Last time i tried xfce was ~12 years ago and it was pretty bare bones iirc, looks a lot more feature rich now.

lxqt until XFCE gets a file manager search tool and keyboard shortcuts.

also I think dolphin or konqueror might work on lxqt since they are all written in qt.

why do packages become "virtual" or straight up unavailable when i try to install them on ubuntu 19.04? packages.ubuntu.com shows that the packages i am trying to install are available

Attached: iu.jpg (600x600, 45K)

xfce has all that, what the fuck are you talking about, if you understand how the projects work with lxqt and konqueror how do you not get xfce has adopted thunar.

my thinkpad with manjaro xfce keeps freezing at random and it's super irritating, what may be the cause?
There used to be win7 on the thinkpad and that didn't freeze.
It tends to be when web pages are loading (via firefox)
what do?

askubuntu.com/questions/652326/whats-a-virtual-package

Moe editor
gnu.org/software/moe/moe.html

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

>those fancy effects like the cube
There's a cube? Is this some multi-window shit?

Yes. Your desktop becomes a 3D cube.

How do you edit the grub.cfg to personalize the partition names? For example I have Ubuntu 18.04 and just want it to be Ubuntu. How would I do that?

post the content of your grub.cfg

search is outside the scope of a file manager

I don't understand.

pastebin.com/af3hZWiW

I only put in the grub.d/10_linux because after reading a bit I figured this is the part where it matters

youtube.com/watch?v=m423g-W-iVA

How do you use UTF-8 in dwm? There's an xft patch but it's not available for the latest version.

please, I would appreciate it a lot

Attached: 1542277121214.jpg (350x350, 31K)

lowercase looks wack

Attached: wack.jpg (750x827, 118K)

What model? I have a X220 and Manjaro works beautifully.

Attached: justwerks.jpg (540x540, 46K)

What's the best method for migrating all the contents on my current SSD to a new SSD? I have a 64GB SSD right now, which is really pushing the limits.

Is it safe to use cloning software to clone the drive when moving to a bigger drive, or will the size of partitions and things like that become fucked?

X220 too
the only extension I have in firefox is adblock

ever heard of xdg standards?

That's pretty weird, my guy. My install is almost Vanilla and nothing weird ever happens... i also use firefox but i use Ublock origin instead of Adblock. Maybe you should try switching to that.

Attached: 1540801801329.png (552x498, 173K)

best distro for a 2D loli guru image hosting server?

I actively avoid software that uses xdg, and if it does I make suredirectories can be changed

yeah, it is pretty weird.
It's just that page loading takes some time and than everything freezes. I don't even know if firefox is the reason, but I can try switching to ublock

What's the state of the nouveau drivers? Any good?

They're usable for really old cards, but because nvidia is actively hostile and Devs are literally just reverse engineering things, they'll never actually be good.

how would one connect a minimal (nonfree) debian install to the internet via wireless?

>are literally just reverse engineering things

Is that legal?

Fucking nvidia

Afaik reverse engineering is legal even when the company forbids it. Sometimes you still own what you buy.

~/dl