Become a minimalist

Attached: 7C1D8F23-18AD-423C-A7E1-2B12750690A1.jpg (3924x1504, 462K)

I got rid of social life.

already did

Attached: 1548274653100.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

Minimalism is a coping mechanism for poor people.

Attached: 1564103600344.png (500x500, 45K)

I managed to cut off my penis and I drink a lot of onions.

unironically me

My God, this looks depressing as fuck. Imagine having to spend all of your home time sitting in the same empty room with nothing but your gadgets.
I get that you want to have only what you need, but how can this be enough?

what's more out there?

Unironically that's what the normalfag tech is trying to accomplish - reduce everything. Just like that apple vs 90's picture. In the end, consumers are the losers as everything virtual is only being rented out from corporations that own everything and every right including the one to deny you services or cancel it.

I really hope you're joking. Poor people hold on to any and everything.

I'm already living a minimalist life, I don't keep anything I don't use in my apartment and could put all my belongings in the car and move in a single trip.

Attached: 1558198359797.jpg (960x956, 135K)

me

this. faggot doesn't know what it means to be poor.

I would but I just can sell most of my childhood stuff since my parents bought it.
I have no problem getting rid of shit I bought as an adult.

>t. posted from my $100 third-hand IBM thinkpad on dwm
Get a grip.

Why the sad pepe? People suck. At least online people can't judge me entirely based off my looks.

you look like a faggot

Samesies.

posted from my msi gs65 8rf 078 stealth thin notebook on windows 10. :^)

What difference would it make? You're attacking people's character rather than what they're saying. You're not making sense.

>t. posted from my $100 third-hand IBM thinkpad on dwm
>Get a grip.

Not him but I am tehnically poor as I have no income. But because I did not buy a lot of stupid things like poor people do I am wealthier than people who worked much more than I did.

You are truly rich when you own a piece of land and don't have to be a slave to some coorporation. Most people could be set for life at tbe age of 40 but they are not because they are consumerist sheep.

Now I might invest in a 3-5 k $ PC but only if I find a valid reason to need one. Right now for my hobby a 500$ pc does everything I want it to.

:-) (Du)

People on Jow Forums use minimalism as an excuse for lack of imagination, character, and above all to not feel the obsolescence of their hardware. People with modern prebuilts even don't whine about windows 10, but here people simply cannot afford background processes.
I have an overclocked 6700k, looking to buy a xeon and another 16GB RAM. I enjoy having large RAMdisks and a perfectly smooth desktop experience, because microstuttering ruins my experience completely. I could live off core2 quads for sure but it's not worth it in the end if it's just some cash I can spend.
I work hard, enjoy being in a team of experts, and finishing projects that are used in the real world. Wouldn't like it any other way.

I make six figures and I still live like this. Anything else feels stupid. The fact that people buy things just to own them rather than for utility, is just absurd to me. Likewise with ascribing any meaning to monetary value. a bronze and a gold watch both still tell the time and I don't need either because I already have a cheap Android phone from 5+ years ago.

>People on Jow Forums use minimalism as an excuse for lack of imagination, character, and above all to not feel the obsolescence of their hardware.
What a terribly hasty generalization and conclusion to make. It's like some combination of observation bias coupled with lack of understanding or projection.
God forbid some people have different preferences that differ from your own. Better make up reasons for them that don't even make sense.

Norfag?

I'm just saying how it is whenever someone posts in speccy/screenfetch thread or recommends suckless/musl/etc. It's always some amateur or ripoff projects and people boast about minimal RAM usage. Why doesn't Jow Forums ever boast about optimisations to chromium/firefox multithreaded models or other contributions, instead of pointlessly customizing over and over? Waste of time.

Because Jow Forums isn't one person. And if you're upset about a topic not being talked about, nothing is preventing you from making those threads. This is a public service.

What do you do with your computer?

>Jow Forums isn't one person
Funny, Jow Forums posts like one person, especially whenever 'bloat' or 'botnet' are used in a sentence. I've made numerous threads calling to contribute to open source, to make a Jow Forums project, and all I get in return are logo making shitposts and "you first".

I program, watch conferences and movies, and videochat with people on my macbook. Same + gaming/simulations on my desktop. I can't get over how stupidly smooth and responsive os x is, never even thought of tweaking any settings. May just get a mac pro in the end and jerry rig a custom cooling kit.

How is this literally any more different than anyone from /bst/? In fact this guy is less sad because he doesn't waste time or money or RGB garbage.

This is the epitome of what I'm saying when I say "observation bias". What you see is a small fragment of what actually exists, and likely filtered through your memory to remember/highlight only the bad bits. The irony in acting holier while claiming everyone here acts the same. Get a grip.

Hey that’s not bad. I would buy a Mac but my gentoo install is also incredibly smooth so I can’t justify the purchase. What do you program?

You and I can literally go around every single thread alive and in the archives to look for posts concerning performance, 'bloat', 'botnet', etc. Very obvious tendency to prefer smaller, easier to run programs, on outdated hardware. In other words, lurk more.
I automate proofs concerning mathematics and code correctness. Also work on embedded, RTOS, and virtualisation thereof.
>also incredibly smooth
I could never get it to work properly, always had to do indian raindances and other rituals to get rid of screen tearing and properly and fully utilise the binary nvidia drivers, which are still trash compared to windows.

>Very obvious tendency to prefer smaller, easier to run programs, on outdated hardware.
A pattern doesn't justify a reason regardless. You're being super ironic in saying that there's an obvious tendency of people proffering optimal software but never talk about software optimizations. You're being a curmudgeon on purpose because you don't remember any good posts, only bad ones. What point are you even trying to make? Are you trying to convince the people here that this place is bad? For what purpose?

>I have an overclocked 6700k, looking to buy a xeon and another 16GB RAM. I enjoy having large RAMdisks and a perfectly smooth desktop experience, because microstuttering ruins my experience completely. I could live off core2 quads for sure but it's not worth it in the end if it's just some cash I can spend.
>I work hard, enjoy being in a team of experts, and finishing projects that are used in the real world. Wouldn't like it any other way.

8GB ram, 3.4 GHZ processor and 1GB of integrated graphics. Yes the numbers are low but get this.

1. I don't play games
2. I never have more than a dozen chrome tabs open
3. 1GB of graphics is enough to make low poly objects in blender for my hobby

I plan to upgrade my setup in about a year but if I get good at blender and feel that I need better gear I will do it as soon as I begin to feel the limits of my computer.

You are not introverted like me so you don't understand how much I value my peace. I live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours on an old farm. I still manage to have fast internet and I socialize online.

When I feel lonely I find a girl online and we cam with each other. After a while I say goodbye, disappear for half a year and then find another chick to cam with

Off topic question:
Looking for a Jow Forums android app that allows for NSFW boards.

HELP!

>optimal software
*minimalist software. And most of the time minimalist on features alone, not necessarily performant. I can never find posts I deem good other than the gem "Yeah I ironically use just to learn better". I would rather see Jow Forums sit down and program - contribute to mainline firefox or chromium.

That's still subjective. We even have a daily programming thread. Just because you don't see good posts or judge everything negatively, doesn't make it nonexistent and/or so. There are 2 threads up RIGHT NOW that are complaining about browser efficiency like you said only moments ago. While also saying lurk more. While also saying how nobody makes useful posts in your stream of complaints against us all. I'm growing disappointed and am going to leave this thread. I wonder if this is your goal.

>browser efficiency
It's just whining, I can whine too. The best answer this board has to browser inefficiencies is to "install better browsers" even though Firefox and Chromium are already the epitomes of browser design in terms of functionality and manhours spent. Let's actually go and program them better.
>daily programming thread
Nothing but small, inconsequential toy projects. And that pointless rolling image for undergrads.

>I make six figures and I still live like this. Anything else feels stupid. The fact that people buy things just to own them rather than for utility, is just absurd to me.

I make 3000$ a year but I also don't live In US or hold an actual job. What I envy is not your wealth but your ability to deal with people. I am too weak to fit in a society.

But again I am not literally poor because I have enough savings to live like this for at least 5 more years. I can also afford to travel a bit and spend a few k on tech.

By the time I run out I will either figure out what to do or kill myself.

Your needs !== someone else's needs

Do you want to buy a shitload of stuff? Fine.
Do you want to embrace minimalism? Fine.
No option is any better than the other.

js fag detected

>still has curtains
Fucking poser

you need to contribute to Firefox or Chrome first before anyone can take you seriously

>Do you want to buy a shitload of stuff? Fine.
Is it though? For one you shit up the environment so also affect others with your consumerism but the more interesting part would be why you'd get joy from buying shitloads of stuff; which often has reasons that don't suggest the person is doing fine.

In games people still judge me based on my voice
You literally can't win
It's kind of funny tho when a chick with super hot voice in your guild that every guy was creaming over and bending backwards to catter to finally posts her facebook revealing her hamplanet status and literally everyone goes to cold "oh ..hi" and then only gives her replies as short and brief as possible and only when she addresses the guy directly

>environment
Government's job to pass regulatory laws. So far the government is fine.
>joy from buying shitloads of stuff
You fill a modern pleasure - owning the latest things.

>save money by selling the curtains and getting a good sleep mask
>everyone can see into your room but nobody will want to rob it because there's nothing in it anyway

Attached: 1445695675422.jpg (600x602, 32K)

lol paid company shills trying to sell pitch on Jow Forums
good goys buy more meaningless shit and keep hoarding

>Government's job to pass regulatory laws.
>lack of laws justifies shitty behaviour
Meh.
>You fill a modern pleasure - owning the latest things.
And why would you get pleasure from something so basic?

>Minimalism
2012 as fuck.

>why
Basic psychological fact. Don't think about it too much.

This only works when you have non-materialist things that can fill the void in your life, like friends or hobbies. I'm pretty sure some faggots on Jow Forums lack both of those things, and have instead taken to using as little as possible AS their hobby.

>What I envy is not your wealth but your ability to deal with people. I am too weak to fit in a society.
It's important to know these 2 things are not really linked. I deal with people really well but it doesn't mean I fit into society.
I work hand in hand with people who bash the things I care about (without knowing I care about them). The disconnect I feel is likely the same as your own. The monotony of it all makes me consider killing myself now, regardless of anything else. I could retire today and have nothing but free time, but it's not going to change me or the world I live in.

The struggle I am facing currently is one of trying to understand my own desires and the practical state of the world and my future. As it turns out, doing something useful for society and getting a big monetary reward for it, doesn't actually satisfy me in the slightest.

I hope you find your own desires and a path towards them. With or without society, and its money.

That'd apply to normal cases, not full consumerist lifestyle, where the hoarding is closer to a coping mechanism.

Since you have things you care about; why not start there?

It's actually very expensive to be a minimalist. You end up eating out a lot and buying more highend items to reduce space

You can have a minimalist kitchen. And buying highend items is generally the smarter choice for poorfags, since they tend to last longer and have a better resale value.

The only costly aspect of minimalism is the risk. If one of their few things is fucked, they are fucked and need to buy a new one right away, while hoarders could just use another of their five laptops.

>Since you have things you care about
I wouldn't say I do. I have things other people care about, but they don't mean anything to me.
In any case I've already given up on the idea of a better life and am working on accepting the one I have.
I'm going to work as hard as I can for ~50 years then die alone - handsome, fit, and wealthy.

>making fun of Jow Forums while posting here
You can't sink any lower than this. Your existence must be miserable.

You don't need to go so extreme that you're helpless without paying people to do everything for you. Just don't own anything beyond the things you actually use on a regular basis.

I get my kicks with schadenfreude

>I wouldn't say I do.
>I work hand in hand with people who bash the things I care about (without knowing I care about them).
Am I sleepy or are you sleepy?

It may be indicative of my internal conflict or just degrees of desire. I like X but X isn't my desire; I still don't feel good when all of the people I interact with, directly and indirectly, bash X. But my life wouldn't be complete if everyone cared about it either.

When I sit and think about it, I feel like what I want is something that can be described as acceptance or validation, more than anything else. I just wish for a person or persons which accept me for who I am, not who I act as, what I have, what my name is associated with, etc.
This is an external desire though, and I see it as weakness that needs to be dropped. Which is what I'm working on at the moment. Accepting alienation and isolation as the constant, not an exception. Dropping the desire for another and relying completely on myself.
The goal for me is no longer to become happy, but to become less frustrated with reality, society, people, etc.
Whether I wasn't made for it, or it wasn't made for me, I don't fit, and that sucks because I just have this one shot at it. That's not true for everyone though. I can't even say the same 100% for myself, even if my confidence is high in the moment. Whatever.

There’s a cool book called Dignity, just released. I recommend you read it.

Attached: steve-jobs-picture-dianne-walker-black-and-white.jpg (2838x1893, 293K)

By Chris arnade

I remember a quote from somewhere that said “you have to have a lot of money to afford such big empty spaces”

Become a Stoic

/thread

>own a piece of land and don't have to be a slave to some coorporation.

Look folks, some idiot thinks he owns land in a world where governments everywhere lay claim to anything and everything.

>look at him, look at him and laugh

I already am

Attached: room2.png (1021x721, 963K)

Is the rest of the asylum nice

Will do.

Minimalism's ok if you have and are happy to have a very rigid life or if you have people to do things for you. Take cookbooks- they take up a shelf because people usually have a few so that they can vary their meals. You could just eat the same meals that you know how to make every day or eat out or get take out, but that's expensive.
Or take a tv/speakers. Total immersion via headphones and a headset is great but not if you want to eat while watching something, or god forbid actually do something else like work while watching something. You need to be a Steve Jobs-type where you work hard but come home to earn enough to not think about anything else to make minimalism truly work.

>redundant analogue clock
>minimalist

Try harder.

How is prison?

There's still a bed and a real desk. I however do everything on my futon with a low table.

The asylum joke was better.

get rid of eyesight

>Take cookbooks
Nigga, what? Have you ever heard of Google?
>but not if you want to eat while watching something
Wireless headphones? Hell, even a wire is fine when you eat next to your laptop since the cable is generally long enough to have zero effect.
>actually do something else like work while watching something
So you end up doing a worse job AND processing only bits of the shit you watch? Why would anyone do this.

>having TWO lamps in one room
>having a cloak
Meh.

8/10

My apartment is like this but it still has some colors. Everything being white is kinda boring, even for me.

>Have you ever heard of Google?
Sure, but there are plenty of recipes that are only in books and you can't always trust internet recipes. Also because so much of it is american they use measurements like cups all the time and make you add a bunch of sugar that the meal doesn't need. No wonder yanks are fat
>Wireless headphones
I was referring to VR headsets but sure, ok
>So you end up doing a worse job AND processing only bits of the shit you watch? Why would anyone do this.
You're thinking like a CPU or something. I code or write reports while watching TV all the time. Sure the work takes twice as long but I don't *have* to focus on the show or film all the time and I get things done while doing something I'm enjoying. Sure I could just do the work and then do something else but then I end up just staring at a screen for hours and end up messaging friends or doing extra work anyway

good on you. imagine living a bloated life

>Accepting alienation and isolation as the constant, not an exception. Dropping the desire for another and relying completely on myself.
I achieved this. But I still don't like myself.

that isn't an indication about ones finances. you can see many a poorfag getting in debt just to own expensive shit. at least be smart about being poor.

>but there are plenty of recipes that are only in books
Beyond unlikely but even if we assume so, you can just download the fucking book. Or hell, digitalise the ones you have. One could even get an extra tablet for it, which isn't super minimalistic but still takes well less space than even a single book.

And sure, Internet recipes and Burger measurements can be problematic but the amount of stuff out there lets you find anything you might want, specially if you speak another language and don't have to rely on English results. Besides, if you're minimally experienced with cooking, you can decide for yourself when you need 100g of sugar for a pie or not.
>I was referring to VR headsets but sure, ok
Ah, fair enough. VR headsets are a meme either way.
>I code or write reports while watching TV all the time.
Yikes. I wouldn't want to do it even for mundane tasks like ironing. I like to give full attention to visual media and have no clue how people can enjoy watching series while being on their phone 25% of the time.

Single bed........pussy destroyer status, confirmed

Attached: niggawhut.jpg (500x531, 73K)

Are you trying to instigate something? Why? Like was your intention to show everyone that you care about sex so much that it's the first thing you think of when you see someone's bed.

Clover. Download it through F-Droid

Become a retardist.

this
t. has hoarder family

Now you see it.

Attached: theNose.png (835x470, 423K)

There are whole worlds to discover inside those glasses.

Minimalism is a good idea only if you understand it broadly. If you're not broad, you'll end up like the old protestant churches that had no beauty because you think that the beautiful stuff is 'over-the-top'.

kek, is this new confrontational nerd rage I keep seeing a meme? I don't get zoomies. . .

It's good for people who don't have any self control and can't properly keep things in order by themselves

oi vey

Attached: 1567330101248.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

Are you me?