How much longer do they actually have? Went to a location yesterday and it was fucking bare...

How much longer do they actually have? Went to a location yesterday and it was fucking bare. They're entire section for mobos, which used to be plastered with prices and specs, was just empty.

Attached: tempe_pic1.jpg (500x500, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mercurynews.com/2008/12/22/frys-exec-accused-of-65-million-fraud-to-pay-off-gambling-debts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The one in San Jose looks like it's on its last legs.tbe employees are fucking useless kids who only want to hide away and talk with each other and the shelves are never stocked. Good luck finding anyone for help because they off playing hide and go seek

will start closing stores after xmas

One near me is empty as fuck.
Every time I go to fry's the selection is pretty much bare and they had to reorganize the whole store because of it.
They sold individual sata cables for like 6$ each. Ended up going online and getting a pack of 15 for $12
Online shopping is killing them, and "price matching" is the first sign of a dying store

>Yesterday
>Buy clearance pc case on their website
>Get email confirming order, says they will email me again when it is ready to pick up
>Get email that order was cancelled
Done with them

The 8bit guy keeps them alive

Oxnard CA is still "okay". But the one in San Diego CA is clearly dying.

I went to the one off brokaw and saw the same scene. Pretty sad state, reminds me of Sears.

Fry's isn't a public company and the owner is still rich from the tech boom.
Fry's owns the land its on and isn't going into massive debt like Sears or GameStop did. It'll remain around for decades I'm afraid.

Retail is slow because its still summer. Once the holidays pick up, they make all of their money.

DFW Locations seem empty to me of stock and customers. Every time I've been there I ask the staff if they are shutting down and they look at me like a deer in the headlights scared. They're still useful and carry some electronics shit that you can't get since Radio Shack closed down. As for PC shit, how can they even compete? Retail in general is dying. Walmart and a few others will survive only because there is this whole section of society that either doesn't understand Internet shopping or doesn't have a credit card. It's crazy how technology has changed shopping and empowered the consumer. In the end it will probably bite us all in the ass but until then I guess we win.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want anything anymore anyway. Just like to read and learn and anything cerebral. Material objects have less meaning to me everyday.Just want peace and quite and something interesting to learn or read.

never even seen one.
We have fuck all out here in the east.
we have walmart and office depot, thats it.

The one in Renton, WA seems pretty baren.
Go there about once a month for something and it's never packed.

Hope they don't go under because going to an electronics store and just feeling like a little kid is great. Fry's feels more like a hardcore tech wonderland than say a Best Buy.

This store is probably going down. The company announced 280 stores would close between 2019 and 2023.

Fuck Fry's.
Pic is the only store I'll miss.

Attached: compusa.jpg (500x381, 25K)

>tech boom
why does it feel like all the boomers suddenly forgot everything about tech.
zoomers never learned to begin with.

I still remember the giant gumball machine they used to have, and the self-playing piano

All the managers were switched from salary to hourly recently.

Yep, the one in San Diego it's dying, empty as fuck. I easily built two rigs buying from them in the past but last time I went they had only few parts available in stock.

Goodbye old friend.

Fuck Fry's. Microcenter kicks their ass.

the new laws that were made to stop the abuse has just made corporate give up. that's what no one gets about this shit, you can't force them to treat you better, they sooner kill the company than lose a bonus

Their sales have cratered over the last 8 years though.

Ahem...

Attached: mah4ie-b781002590z.120120916200129000gmv1941ib.2.jpg (535x350, 46K)

they do money laundering now, so they will last forever

same with tariff, they'd kill the country than move the job back

mercurynews.com/2008/12/22/frys-exec-accused-of-65-million-fraud-to-pay-off-gambling-debts/

I was there for the fallout of that. The store I was at lost 9 department managers, and all supervisory staff, within 2 months. Pay was cut severely for all involved, and the majority of staff chose to leave.

Company Status : Fried

I just to work at a CA location. After the 50th Boomer/zoomer asks some stupid shit like why the computer they built isn't working without the hard drive they took apart you'd want to hide away too

it boggles my mind that people still frequent brick and mortar electronics stores.
It's not like a good book or novelty store, where the atmosphere is half the point of going.

You should like a faggot

haha what?

Damn, this was my play ground almost.
The smell man... I know that's weird, but the smell of this place was awesome.

You should unironically KYS.

huh. What's wrong with fry's? They price match newegg so you can just use it like you do when shopping online except you don't have to wait for shipping.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, try Central Computers. There's multiple locations. They seem to have much better stock. Staff is more helpful, but I'm not sure of their knowledge.

Attached: o.jpg (750x1000, 156K)

Burbank is pathetic, empty shelves everywhere and shitty merchandise obviously stretched to make things look less empty in other areas. Went there the other day to grab a wifi adapter and found the whole networking area empty, nothing except a few ethernet switches and a couple of random returned things.

They only own the land at some of their stores and rumor has it those will be the only ones to stay open. The other stores are all barren, there isn't really gonna be any merchandise to sell when the holidays roll around.

Sometimes you need stuff same day or just want to check a laptop or monitor or whatever out in person before buying.

I wish we had something like that down here in LA. Without Fry's the only real option is to order shit online or drive like a 3 hour round trip to Micro Center in Tustin. Yeah, there's some stuff at Best Buy, Staples, etc., but nowhere near the selection or competitive pricing you'd get at Fry's.

have fun with some 17 year old fuck trying to sell you a 40 dollar hdmi cable.

Lol I went to the same one a few months ago and it was like nightmarish and eerie with how empty all the shelves were coupled with the large amounts of empty space and yet somehow numerous employees standing around.

I feel bad its like that but I feel like the leadership just doesn't give a shit about the company .

The one by me is nearly completely empty
Runs on a skeleton crew and basically a Walmart now as far as actual products go
Their big days are black Friday and holidays so they stock up for those but otherwise do nothing
The microcenter 2 feet away is booming though!

Yea, Oxnard still has a good amount of people but I doubt this one's disappearing anytime soon.

The one in san diego used to be like disneyland, it was t. place. now is just awful, boring, refrigerators, bigscreens, etc.

fuckya, those were great, all that white and beige plastic. got my IBM Aptiva from there.

I'm just wondering how Staples is keeping business.

Attached: DoYouMemberMe.jpg (1200x723, 139K)

People pay 5$ a minute to print facebook screencaps

Microcenter is that way tho.

>tfw no one remembers Incredible Universe

Staples has office supplies and shit. They have the school market to keep them afloat.

I've never been within 150 miles of one, I wouldn't know

I just go because those kinda companies tend to price match Amazon/Newegg/whatever, so I don't have to pay or wait for shipping.

The store in Fremont looks ok whenever I go there, but not to build a full computer probably. Though it might be alright for a budget build or something. I mostly go for smaller things when I don't want to wait for shipping, like hard drives, network cards, cables, stuff like that.

the way Jow Forums talks about microcenter, you'd think there was one on every street corner.
do you all live in New York, or something?

Trump's tariff killed them

Attached: 1563436380459.jpg (960x781, 107K)

lot's of countries have import tarriffs to protect their national industry, try buying anything japanese in korea for instance.

Good, fuck that place.
t. used to work there in 2002

Same but in 2006. Fuck them and fuck their shitty credit cards they want you to shove down everyone's throat.

CHARLIE CHIP BTFO

Attached: 2711452209_13af276d19_z.jpg (466x640, 92K)

>wOuld yOu LiKe To aPplY For a fRYS CArD tODaY?
>how aBout oUr PeRFOrMancE gUArAntEE?

Attached: fryscard.jpg (450x282, 104K)

Those are still around

I went to the Fry's in the OP like two weeks ago to check out what chairs they had and shit was empty. The shelves that used to be filled with PC parts only had the absolute cheapest stuff and the most expensive stuff, which there were only a few of each. Kinda sad desu.

I was in a Fry's 2 years ago and it was waaaaaay better than Micro Center. Then again, nobody was in the Fry's, but any time I go to the Micro Center, there are people bitching out the staff, but they are still there.

I have been impressed with my local microcenter. Good prices and good selection. The sales people really want to stick their commission sticker on whatever you are there for.

They're out of business, but haven't closed their doors yet. Every store reports the same thing, empty shelves and no employees. No idea why a private company would let this go in for so long before officially announcing 90% plus store closings

>Fry's owns the land its on
Nope. Leased, that's when they'll be out of business because it's way too expensive to continue a retail business especially at Fry's prices on west coast land prices where anyone wants to live

I'm glad that they can sustain themselves through the $400,000/m rent.

Was at the Wilsonville store last week. It was the worst I've seen it. Their entire movie section is down to 2-3 racks and most of their connectors/parts stock was empty. I hate to see Fry's go but after being HOOKED by them the last few visits I pretty much gave up.

I think Fry's dumped their commission system. I think that's why a lot of the best employees at my location left to be replaced with pizza-faced gaymurz.

Micro Center only has one west coast location. Fuck them.

>san franshithole

new yorker here,
ive never heard of these before. i mean we had circuit city, but as we know that went to shit.

Thank goodness for 18 minute pick up. Just walk in then leave.

I've never had someone try to do that at Fry's. Until recently, most of their staff were in their 30s-40s and actually knowledgeable.
Went out of business in, what, '95? I never went to the one in my area.

>ywn put together that extreme budget pc using an ECS mobo combo deal and all "GQ" parts again.

At least you got informed that your order was cancelled. I ordered stuff from another store and didn't know why I hadn't received it a month later. Called the store, they said the order had been cancelled. I asked why nobody called me about this and got silence.

Fuck you shitstain
I'm not waiting 4 days for a product i can get in less than 4 minutes

I swear you faggots that have these in your backyard act like cunts. Those who dont have any of this for miles and miles wish they had something like it. When I was in LA I would go to the frys all the time to try out new keyboard switches and buy small electronic equipment that I needed. Sucks not being able to test shit out before buying or quickly picking up a switch for something im working on.

REAL electronic stores are the only exception besides food. Also this

What the hell are you on about?

Having a close electronics store a very nice thing to have. Fry's is the very last of the electronics stores that actually sell electronics that isn't completely consumer tier garbage fuckholes like bestbuy.

The only computer stores I know of where I live (Regional Australia) are overpriced and small. I would love to walk into a micro-center with a shopping trolley and get a whole PC's worth and then some.

Attached: 1549919785688.gif (602x608, 2.48M)

> with a shopping trolley and get a whole PC's worth and then some.

No you don't. It's way more comfy just browsing and buying shit on Amazon in your pajamas.

Honestly, going to these stores are just a convenience. If you need a part but don't want to wait, that's kind of what they are good for. Occasionally, they have great combo deals. Micro Center takes like $50 off if you get both a CPU and motherboard from them.

Attached: mc-ad.jpg (1127x1005, 348K)

>Fry's owns the land its on and isn't going into massive debt like Sears
Sears owns their land too. Think how much all the massive unpainted since the 90s parking lots in prime locations are worth now.
And Sears is only in debt to its CEO, just read about the shit that guy is pulling off, it's fucking mind boggling.

Will be sad to see them go, if only for nostalgia's sake

They had some pretty solid deals, plus the location in my area (Phoenix AZ) always had fun shit to do. Games on display, tech demos and whatnot. Spent a lotta time there in my teen years

Bonus: that Aztec entrance is fuckin cool

Attached: Fry's_electronics_phoenix_-_panoramio.jpg (2048x1536, 603K)

I remember trying to price match some audio cables at Fry's, "You have to pay for the shipping though so the cost would be the same as our price."
Yeah I hope Fry's dies soon and their giant stores just becomes a giant distribution warehouse for Amazon or something. Also their website is fucking horse shit making them even more irrelevant.

*cries in pajeet*

That's what we're mourning. You just came off as pissed.

I am pissed. I am mad and im gonna be angry sad forever

I think it was Sears, IIRC the Sears's CEO was basically a retard who understood how to balance end of year financial reports really well but was actually a fucking retard who didn't know how to run a sustainable business. It's totally possible to be good at the former without knowing how to do the latter. I would say that holds true for most businesses but the entire "leadership" class are in their own little retarded world. I've met some VPs and directors in tech who are totally out of touch and I imagine the CEOs are too since the guys surrounding them are retarded. Businesses just sort of live organically based off the good faith of the retarded populace, although some are good at exploiting that like EA and google. Like personally, I don't see how any sane person would go to a Wendy's unless it's the only thing around, yet it's a national franchise that's in the same locations at MDs and BKs. It was shit 10 years ago and it's still shit up and down the east coast, yet it's around. Boggles the mind

For the same reasons people went to hardware and stationary stores. Go in for one thing, then walk the aisles going "oo lookie dat" at the cool stuff you didn't know about. It's the adventure of discovery.

Walmart and Amazon 2 day delivery kills that market, except for an absolutely critical need for a toner cartridge, and even then -- Staples instore isn't all that deep.

Microcenter is always busy and has everything. I have this microcenter just 2 miles away from me. You mad west coast fags?

Attached: IMG_0226.jpg (1024x769, 145K)

mfw we lost our microcenter for a walmart

Attached: 1567399187015.jpg (631x647, 162K)

I frequent a recycler/surplus resale because they have neat stuff
got a U3011 and 3 2007fp's for under $300 and they're all in immaculate condition

tarrifs don't work for protecting anything

I always found the fry's commissions system stupid.
>Here let me check you out and give you a slip so I get commission, and then you can go stand in line to actually pay.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though. I haven't actually shop components at fry's in person for like a decade now.

I live in Southern California, 20 minutes from the Tustin Microcenter. Not mad at all with the sunny weather, beautiful women, great food, lots of attractions, diverse cultures, best arts and entertainment. I'm actually pretty good right here.

Never type with that fucked up lowercase uppercase reddit shit again. Now go hang yourself for being a massive faggot.

I feel bad for you living in Commiebridge/Slummerville user.

Sears was a public company. They got taken over by robber barrons (Mitt Romney's Bain capital) to incur massive debt, pay out huge dividends then shut down and not pay those debts in bankruptcy court. The same is going on with GameStop now. Same thing happened with Blockbuster and RadioShack. Thats what happens when you're public and vulnerable like that. No long term plans, just pure shutdown.

Sears had 100 year leases, so, yes, they basically did own the land. That's why Mitt Romney bought them up, so he could use it as collateral when scamming the big banks.
Best Buy and Fry's are a little different. Fry's isn't inducing massive debt with its vendors. Same with Best Buy. Best Buy, while public, is still owned mainly by a small group of people including the family who started it.

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee