/BSDG/ - BSD General

What is BSD? The Berkeley Software Distribution is the original UNIX operating system. Following AT&T's legal attacks in the 1990s: the OS was stripped of proprietary code and renamed 'BSD' to prevent further lawsuits stemming from AT&T's ownership of the name UNIX.

Today, BSD is dominant in the server market for it's networking advantages and stability over Linux / Windows alternatives. macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS are all BSD distros.

Linus Torvalds has stated that had BSD not been paused for legal proceedings, he'd have never bothered creating the Linux kernel, instead saying he'd have just used FreeBSD

Only install FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, TrueOS (formerly PC-BSD) for the pure UNIX experience.

More user-ready distributions include, in order of minimalism:
DragonflyBSD
GhostBSD
TridentOS
macOS

Attached: 1567203264358~2.png (673x798, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-inst.html
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>shilling garbage.

Garbage OS that is suck in the late 90s. We want a modern experience with modern hardware.

why do people keep parroting this? have you ever used it? it (just) works fine on every machine i've put it on.

>actual UNIX is garbage that's why I use the locked down, knock off emulator some Jew in Boston made

I can't use it because I have modern hardware.

It was a forced meme when PC-BSD came out and regards too afraid to try it keep the pasta alive.
Picture a hackintosh capable of also running any Linux program. That's roughly what BSD is now capability wise. There's no hardware Linux can support that BSD can't.

and I bet you faggots get buttblasted when some winjeet says the same thing about Linux

It doesn't support my RX 5700.

go suck sony's dick
we don't want you here

Works fine on my Ryzen 7 ThinkPad from literally this year. Desktop is packing an RX 5700 no problem.

It's free software bub. Freer than Linux.

Attached: 1478954410266.jpg (612x556, 127K)

>imagine getting cucked

OpenBSD or bust
FreeBSD for CoC-cucks

Tranny shit aside: isn't FreeBSD more friendly for desktop installs? Just something I've heard, I have no idea personally

FreeBSD is more suitable for desktops than OpenBSD in the way that Lunix is more suitable for Desktops than FreeBSD... barely, but there is some QoL improvements. Better yet, run a real desktop OS, save Lunix and FreeBSD for servers.

Can I use my favorite desktop manager, Deepin, on FreeBSD?

Sure can. BSD has a repository just for the Linux packages. It's secondary but usually comes bundled into the install so you can pick any DE you want.

Think of it like Arch and the AUR.

I thought FREEBSD is full of SJW GAY?

Attached: 1518818756367.png (1279x837, 580K)

>Linux
>success
Look at any developer conference. You'll see a few ThinkPads running Ubuntu. But far more than that you'll see glowing Apple logos.

>glowing Apple logos
you are so 2k15

the desktop doesn't mean shit sweaty

Look at any server room. You'll see a few rackmounts running Windows Server or BSD. But far more than that you'll see Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Look at any room full of people. You'll see a few iPhones running XNU/FreeBSD. But far more than that you'll see glowing Android screens.

Post a guide on how to install it

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-inst.html

I don't know if all this sudden BSD shilling is just a glownigger psyop to lure in all you Nazis after discovering a huge vulnerability or not, but you've gotten me to bite.
Gonna install OpenBSD, lads, wish me luck.

Attached: 1554156670537.jpg (373x280, 8K)

Reminder that this "BSD" is not true UNIX
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

What about Slackware?

>everyone who likes what I don't like is a shill
ebin meme

Yes it does

It's not UNIX certified but it is Unix by lineage