Can you hack a transformer

can you hack a transformer

Attached: E76439D9-C86B-4504-9583-DB5A2198245C.jpg (1400x1148, 402K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MFv7m9eSl0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>poor little white girl

A transformer is literally just a big 'ol copper/metal coil soaking in oil. There's nothing to hack, retard.

Where is this from? In the UK all our sub-stations are either protected by brick sheds or solid frame green metal fences with spikes on the top. This was decided upon before all common sense was exported from the country and the left behind towns voted for Brexit.

Yes. You can hack large amounts of copper wire out of it and sell it for scrap.

Whys it always blondes

Attached: 2BA52A3C-569A-4DFE-8F1A-BA12B447F9C8.png (600x566, 149K)

Based and victimcomplexpilled

What if I put another transformer right next to that one and get free electricity through induction?

Now this is what I call a pro gamer move

Figure out how electricity works, teenbro.

No they can turn into giant robots

united states has these boxes but most of our transformers are on the telephone poles
might be a quarantine zone (city) thing

How would anons describe the sound that transformers make when they transform (and roll out)

>the left behind towns voted for Brexit.
you mean the towns who dont want a million useless migrants per week getting welfare?

we call them diversity sheds

>boom

Attached: BA664861-CF62-417F-8666-CD46A206A52A.gif (640x360, 2.79M)

Yes, so they decided that no welfare for anyone
is better

UK isn’t a part of Schengen Area and could set its own rules for its own borders, even before Brexit. Seems like migrants were just an excuse for British to pull out of EU (which they wouldn’t even join in the first place if they didn’t lose their international economic upper hand).

>just blew my tranny

There is nothing to hack there, and you totally don't understand how transformers work, as the distance between primary and secondary transformers is crucial for the mutual induction, the same for the internal resistance for each one. So even if you bring another one next to it, nothing will happen. The only possible thing is when you bring a mega one next to it, like 50x times bigger, and all what you'll get is flickering in the output current.
t. EE

Attached: all systems nominal.jpg (704x588, 68K)

North America. These aren't substations... They just take the high voltage power lines and step it down to 240v household voltage. Usually they're used with underground electrical lines. You don't have power poles and lines buy you have ugly green boxes every few houses.

Attached: tranny.jpg (1050x401, 81K)

>2 black guys and a blonde white girl
>"BIG GREEN BOX"

..."Electrical safety?"

Attached: race-mixing-advertising-comic.png (1000x1000, 244K)

>mylar balloons

Damn.

>THE FATE OF ALL TRANNIES!

>white girl is on her knees
Infront of the black man
they do this shit on purpose

Based and victimcomplexpilled

lol I used to play on those things as a kid and I still see kids today play on them
it's just a big green box

are adults in your neighborhood retarded
actually, nevermind, since you're one of them now

Yes the UK isn't part of Schengen but ultimately Brexit had nothing to do with non-EU block immigration. EU economic migration was part of the reason for a Brexit vote but the main reason that people from towns like Hartlepool voted to leave was to give the government and politicians in general a kicking because they saw it as the only way to get the Conservative South to listen to them. That and the fact that the monkey hanging bastards are thick and gullible and they'll believe any old shit that came out of Boris Johnson's mouth. Now, back to the green boxes; that's some crazy shit. How often do these things get broken into? We in the UK have to secure all of our transformers in bricked off areas to stop Pikeys from steeling the copper and weighing it in.

Considering the air between you and the transformer has a much lower magnetic permeability than the core it's wound around, coupled with the shielding surrounding the transformer, you'd be lucky to pull a couple milliwatts from it.

I dont see the problem?

When I was an elementary school kid, none of us knew what these things were or how dangerous it is to play around then. I'm from a cold climate. We used to surround those transformers for heat in winter while waiting for class to start. We even sat on top of the thing and the teachers said nothing or seem to care. The fins on them were especially warm on a bitterly cold day. I still remember the relief of warming my freezing hands and the gentle hum these things made

>how dangerous it is to play around
It isn't. They're very excessively shielded and protected for exactly that scenario

Then why is there warning signs and infographics not to play or touch them?

You can over load them though, they burn all the time

Why do mutts put trash cans on utility poles?

Because they sound scary to the people who make safety rules, and there's generally no perceived utility to being near them so restraints can be piled on without justification.
You have a much higher chance of dying every time you get in a car than you do sitting on one of these things, but nobody is going to warn you to never get in a car because that would be inconvenient.

have sex
fuck off back to /b/ shitposters

How did I do?

Attached: hue.jpg (401x480, 34K)

Supposedly, if you hit then hard enough they turn off.

Like with a car?

I wouldnt be so sure, maybe your old classic transformer is not hackable, but there probably is some 'smart' ones

>michael bay's transformers movies

>have sex
yikes!
Can you be any more misogynistic?

Like most electrical devices, overloading it will burn it (or the fuse or any circuit to protect it)
The good thing about EE is still not into that "smart" thing or jump on any new niche, hell, a lot of the industrial networks still using ancient protocols to control their RMU/RTU in the field.

For an EE, you sure are lacking in imagination.

Gun lobbyists will.

It is not about imagination, it is what it is, it's like saying "how to hack my phone charger", it makes no sense whatsoever. But that doesn't mean you can't hack the system that controls it, I work now as a cybersecurity for industrial networks like SCADA or DCS, and once you "hack" it, you can control the loads capacity, the output, or shut it down remotely, but again, you're not hacking the transformer itself, but the system that control it.

>but nobody is going to warn you to never get in a car because that would be inconvenient.
We need to change that! We must require people to pass a safety course before they can drive a car!
Also ban intoxicated driving!
Have rules for orderly driving and punish those who don't obey them!

Fucking car lobby, making it so that anyone can buy a car and just drive it, only punishing those who get into accidents...

But I say the same about guns and i hate freedom.

>but there probably is some 'smart' ones
Only in Poland.

??? the dude running into the transformer looks like a spic and the other one is clearly much darker than the spic looking one and also a female with that haircut.

>Oy Vey don’t bother with this pro-hack it won’t give you anything
>y-your not actually considering trying it out right goyim?

Can confirm, this works with my wife

Kinda weird for a dumb country to get smart transformers.

t. Polski

You can, but you'll most likely end up dead.

youtube.com/watch?v=MFv7m9eSl0A

Get punched, you fucking Nazi

stop being bigoted towards nazis

I've been found out!

Attached: 1433824757457310130.png (532x523, 13K)

cwispy

You can see her friends touch the Big Green Box and it already transformed them into niggers. Sad.

What the fuck was he thinking?

t. Decepticon.
De doo doot do

that's not how greentext works, stupid redditor

Go back

where we dun gonna get our $10 of copper though?!?!

YEEHAW nascarjesusfreedomfriesskygrandpamethfootballmaga

I've saw these blow in the middle of a 5mi wide valley and light the whole valley up at 4am during a blizzard.

it's beautiful, until you realize that means no electricity for 15 days and you might as well go ahead and blow your brains out

never heard bout them

>live in eastern europeon shithole
>like 2/3 lines are overhead
>transformers are overground (like 10 ft high) mounted inside wireframe tetrahedron made of reinforced concrete, or inside dedicated building. complete with fuckhuge label bolt and "DANGER. May result in death or serious injury"
>literally never heard of anyone who would get killed by touching a transformer itself.

Even though they are sealed(and locked) to prevent tampering they are designed to be opened on occasion for servicing them. If a kid is dumb enough to be playing with them they might eventually figure out how to brute-force their way into them and inadvertently turn themselves into a 200 amp fuse.

if you fuck around the internals you'll get fried but messing with the outside is usually fine.

Ok, I chuckled.
But seriously, how in the world hacking a freaking transformer is something, there are no data in any form to be hacked, not input (say keyboard, etc) or output (say billboard, etc), nothing! It's all voltage being increased or decreased, you want more voltage, increase the coils, less voltage, fewer coils. That's it.
Enlighten me

In hot climates they explode sometimes in the summer.

i'm thinking about it now and i've never seen anything like this in my street (which has no overhead power lines going to the houses, and neither do any modern cul-de-sacs i've been in).
all the old houses have the overhead wiring though.

Again, you may hack the PLC that control it, but nothing else

>A transformer would be considered smart, only in Poland.
Solved this for the Polish who didn't understand.

That's because white girls are as dumb as them

This guy gets it. Also figure an external winding is not going to be wound around the same core further reducing mutual induction. The reason why they're wound around iron (or ferrite for switching transformers) is to concentrate the flux lines so as much energy as possible is transferred to the secondary winding. Air core transformers typically have very high losses.

Transformers aren't controlled by PLCs.

suuuurrreee go open it up and see what happens

this

At best you might rewire a meter that is attached to the CT's and knock a few bucks off your bill for a month and then they will catch it and revert the changes, and probably get you arrested.

Attached: image003.jpg (640x479, 107K)

oh and a fun little fact, they are fused but usually at something like 300% of what its rated for so dont expect it to trip

Nice, but can you remove the red symbol?

Yes it is, a controller in an RTU control the unit locally, even if it is connected to SCADA, as a failsafe mechanism if communication link disconnected. And that's always in substations, transformers, switches, etc. and this what could you possibly "hack", even though the data isn't something that concern you (winding temp, load capacity, oil temp, etc.)
And no, the meter at your house isn't a transformer, don't get confused. and there is no PLC or PSL there ( though recently they try to push the called smart grid, but it is far from reality and doubt your country let alone your neighbor to have it)

Heh, I remember sitting on a transformer a couple of times as a kid. Didn't strike me as particularly dangerous, just a nice warm metal box.

The box should be safe. It's the insides that contain the dangerous watts.

Good target practice for a .22.

Transformers are completely passive. They're not part of any control system. Not directly anyway. There definitely no Place in local transformers that supply homes and businesses. There are control systems at substations that monitor various things and control switches and relays but again nothing controls transformers directly because nothing needs to. The only distribution network where a transformer does have any kind of active control would be HVDC since it's a DC-DC converter.

we had one on my houses property, and my entire childhood we used as a base in tag or nerf gun battles or just straight up sitting and climbing on it.

it was pretty kino.

lol bro we are talking about utility transformers... you know the 500kva green box that is stepping down 14200v to 480/277v or the 7200v to 240/120v.

btw some POCO's are mounting the meter straight to the side transformer these days so I don't have to mess with the CT's or anything... that would be on larger commercial sites.

>t.15 year electrician

>There's definitely no PLCs in transformers that...

Fucking autocorrect

Attached: what-if-we-kissed-pole9425-sw-next-to-the-prolec-47697033.png (500x466, 136K)

>Transformers are completely passive.
Partially true, transformers aren't one type, you have Voltage transformers, Current transformers, Potential ones, etc. Not always passive, sometimes you may need to change polarity or ratios, etc. and some sophisticated ones you may have advanced relays (microprocessor ones) and you have to control it. Now when none of that is implemented (as what you called it: Passive), you still need the control unit to gather these data locally for monitoring and communicate it back to the central unit.
For those ones, I doubt there are even monitoring, maybe there is though if it's part of the "smart grid", but again, hacking those are useless as I said, nothing to hack. I believe OP meant "hacking" the meter unit at the house, which is possible, but that's another story.

What could possibly go wrong?

Attached: marv.jpg (692x692, 137K)

>For those ones, I doubt there are even monitoring, maybe there is though if it's part of the "smart grid", but again, hacking those are useless as I said, nothing to hack. I believe OP meant "hacking" the meter unit at the house, which is possible, but that's another story.

none of the utility transfomers I have ever seen have anything smart about it... You were going off on hacking the entire power grid which is just a good way to spend a lot of time in jail.

Some of the meters have a wireless notifier to them that will send a signal to the POCO when power drops out, you might be able to mimic that signal.

No. ALL transformers are passive. As long as you give them an AC voltage, be it sine, square, triangle, sawtooth, complex, whatever, a transformer will always output a voltage or current proportional to the turns ratio. ALWAYS. No relays. No microcontrollers. Nothing.

The ONLY time you ever need to have any kind of controller for a transformer is when you have a DC supply. Applying DC to a transformer does not work because you need a changing electrical field to generate a changing magnetic field and DC is not changing. All applying DC to a transformer does it saturate the core and melt the windings. In order to get AC from DC you need a to switch the DC on and off which is a switched mode power supply. If you switch at high frequency it's a switched mode DC to DC converter. If you switch at mains frequency it's an inverter. Switching converters and inverters do require controllers to control the pulse width for the switching for simple bang-bang controllers and more complex circuitry for LLC resonant SMPS. Even in this case this isn't typically implemented with a PLC or relays for control except perhaps in very high power systems. There are dedicated ICs that handle these tasks totally fine.

No transformers involved in distribution have any kind of active controller nor do basic mains step down transformers in linear power supplies in the home. It's not required in any way. You are talking out your ass.

they are gated where i live.
only in highly dense shoplots they're left in a box like that.

reminder we own antarctica faggot.

>two (2) niggers and a white girl
always the same
almost if there was an agenda behind such displays

you joke but niggers do this often. They also die a lot.