Why didn't A/UX take off? It seemed like an obvious successor to the classic Mac OS...

Why didn't A/UX take off? It seemed like an obvious successor to the classic Mac OS. It integrated into the classic OS ad was UNIX based, so new programs could be written for it easily. What happened?

Attached: Apple_Unix_with_Netscape.png (640x480, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/cmd/cat/cat.c
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/cat.c
github.com/Bluerise/OpenBSD-src/blob/master/bin/cat/cat.c
aux-penelope.com/hardware.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

closed source

A/UX was a hack intended to get UNIX users (read: the US government) to consider buying Macs, not a serious effort to build a good UNIX system.
68k Macs were a poor fit for UNIX, lacking expected FPU and MMU functionality in addition to being generally underpowered versus the much more advanced and expensive workstations of the time. Only some could run A/UX at all, none of them could run it well.

I read that only a handful of Macs could actually run it, so your statement is true. It just seems silly that will all that work being done on A/UX, it would be trivial to use it on PPC machines, which I think had already come out. But then how much work would it take to get A/UX ported over instead of another UNIX variant? Thus, NextStep was a simple fit.

Windows had easier hardware support and flexibility. A/UX was just fucking garbo out of the gate running on specific shit.

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

Are those rounded corners at the top real?

Attached: 917321CE-7622-4BC2-8FF0-0A36DD145372.png (640x480, 20K)

Yes, that's what the classic Mac interface looked like.

It was more than just a hack. Later versions were actually one of the best user friendly Unixes out there.
I remember there was a GUI interface to help you learn command line options. It was pretty dope.
68k Macs needed a MMU for it to work, this is why it ran on so few Models.

A/UX was trash. Compare it to something like IRIX or Solaris. There's a reason why people who actually wanted Unix were fine with spending twice as much on SGI MIPS and Sun SPARC boxes. Classic MacOS and A/UX were both extremely primitive compared to other options out there.

Attached: 1.png (1280x1024, 242K)

>What happened?
Steve jobs came back with a better unix.

Why is it trash compared to those UNIX systems?

It wasn't trash. Don't listen to that dude.

No software and a hideous, outdated GUI. Of all the Unices, A/UX was used for nothing of value. Solaris? Used extensively for scientific applications, used by NASA. IRIX? Hello Jurassic Park and a bunch of other movies, TV shows, video games, and all kinds of CAD software for engineering. HP-UX? Loads and loads of scientific software, just like Solaris. AIX? All sorts of cloud shit. Name one useful thing you could do with A/UX. The answer is nothing because it only ever ran on a handful of Macinturds which had their asses kicked by PCs running DOS and early Windows versions. It was sad.

Just because it was not popular doesn't mean it wasn't good. I would even say it is the best Unix for 68k ever made.
I like especially that when you double click command line programs in the finder you get a GUI that lets you click the options and generate a command.

>it panders to retards that can't into command line application arguments
Just one more reason to hate it.

>Hideous outdated gui
Compared to what exactly? It was the classic Mac interface, it's no better or worse than Motif.

No. They're an optical illusion.

Because it went on 5000 dollar computers I think

>he thinks macshit was ever on par with motif

>Compare it to something like IRIX or Solaris.
Solaris is bordering on GNU levels of bloated what are you talking about?

>Closest we can get to seeing Solaris cat
github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/cmd/cat/cat.c
>GNU cat
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/cat.c
>for reference
github.com/Bluerise/OpenBSD-src/blob/master/bin/cat/cat.c

>the absolute state of Jow Forums in this post

Wrong board.

Attached: 1548402385178.png (400x1650, 367K)

idiot zoomer

My C skills arr amateur. How does OoenBSD manage such a tiny cat?

Yeah, to match CRTs' rounded corners. That went away with Mac OS X 10.5

Attached: 4L65BWe.jpg (4095x1323, 156K)

You just breathed in the same room as the mac wrong.

IRIX and Solaris ran on far better hardware than the Macs A/UX ran on.
but as for the OS, it's reasonably fine

Hell, the thing runs pretty ordinary X11 programs, there weren't many (any?) A/UX specific programs that still used the Mac-style UI and Toolbox calls but depended on Unix features, apart from programs that came with A/UX, of course.

by being slower, but simpler.
>hurr durr my brain is too small to comprehend gnu cat's code, that must be because of bloat!
all of gnu's programs are better than their bsd counterparts

*blocks ur path*

Attached: Windows95.png (650x361, 61K)

Windows 95 was as stable as a mountain compared to the smouldering volcano that was macos.

It was expensive to license and undoubtedly mismanaged to shit.
>68k Macs were a poor fit for UNIX, lacking expected FPU and MMU functionality in addition to being generally underpowered versus the much more advanced and expensive workstations of the time.
Huh? High-end Mac IIs and Quadras were workstation-class in most respects, and those systems were pretty much all A/UX would run on. Maybe they weren't as extravagant as the best you could get out of Sun or HP, but they weren't nearly *that* destitute.
Windows was a dysfunctional shitpile when A/UX was the latest and greatest.

please go back to /vr/ zoomer wiki scholar

Did this coexist with the usual System Software, or did it just happen to look almost exactly like it?

>UNIX based
Answered your own question.
Unix started life as a mainframe OS, and its system requirements reflected that until the early 21st century.

>Classic MacOS and A/UX were both extremely primitive compared to other options out there.
>people who actually wanted Unix were fine with spending twice as much on SGI MIPS and Sun SPARC boxes.
Nigger, you have no clue what you're talking about and are just shitting uninformed garbage out of your mouth to be a contrarian, fuck off.

I can reasonably attest to this. Multifinder is a shitty hackjob, and Apple's attempt to rewrite everything in the System 7 into OS 8 days ended up being a miserable failure.

like, Windows 95 is a hackjob pile too that's still basically Windows 3, but running in 32-bit mode all the time (well, almost -- if you had old DOS drivers running, Windows would pretend it was DOS, and then run the 16-bit code, incurring a massive performance penalty with all the switching, especially if you ended up with 16-bit disk access), but MS did spend a good bit of time and effort trying to clean things up
and Microsoft's own rewrite project did succeed, and they sold it as NT
and they didn't make it their the mainline OS for nearly 10 years since it required much more powerful hardware than any ordinary person actually owned (NT starts to get comfortable comfortable with like 24MB RAM... but this was at a time when you might have splurged and bought 8MB for your home machine) and didn't make nearly as many concessions for running old DOS shit

A/UX could run System and Unix applications. You could even make software that used both

Any reason not to upgrade an original LC that came with System 6 to A/UX?

UNIX was designed to run on minicomputers, which were relatively weak compared to concurrent mainframes in that era.

Not him, but I don't think A/UX would work as expected with a lot of classic Mac OS extensions, particularly some of the nicer visual add-ons like Decor or Kaleidoscope if you care about that.

The LC isn't supported anyway. A/UX only ran on a specific set of systems with MMUs and FPUs, mostly Quadras and nicer Mac IIs.

aux-penelope.com/hardware.htm

That's basically what I was going to say. I think his machine could run it if it has an FPU but from what I've read I don't think his does. If you want to try it though winworldpc has a copy of it

>That's basically what I was going to say.
For the hardware support that is.

Right. Lack of an MMU has screwed me out of being able to run some software, like the Mac version of SimCity 2000. Hard to complain though, since I got the thing for free after it survived sitting on an unenclosed porch for years in New England weather and somehow only came out of it with a bad power supply and CMOS battery.

I think A/UX is very particular about chipsets as well. Even a lot of later LCs and performas that you could probably theoretically chip up to a full 68040 won't boot A/UX.

But if the 68030 LCs are similar enough to an SE/30/IIsi maybe they'd boot it if you could throw an FPU into the PDS slot.

I'd just keep 6 on it if it were mine. The LC isn't much of a workstation, it's a very cozy entry-level machine though.

>The LC isn't much of a workstation, it's a very cozy entry-level machine though.
Yeah. Despite being from 1990 it boots and launches programs so quickly that you have to get to the modern era of SSDs to find a PC that can beat it.

all of this fits on a 40MB hard drive.

Attached: lciii.jpg (1024x768, 509K)

>How does OoenBSD manage such a tiny cat?
By having absolutely zero features

ebin

>"all of this fits on a 40MB hard drive"
>posts a screenshot showing he uses it as nothing more than a screenfetch display device for some other system
makes you think

You're an idiot. Did you not see there is a web browser, microsoft word, excel, paint programs, SSH? well designed OS, All on 40MB?

KYS zoomer. I hope you jump off a bridge one day for being a fucking incel spergy faggot who worships bloatware.

Attached: 233065-Your-Mother-Is-So-Fat-The-Recursive-Function-Computing-Her-Mass-Causes-A-Stack-Overflow..jpg (500x481, 55K)

>don't you see all of this outdated software I never use next to the fullscreen SSH session on a real machine???
yes. if you actually did anything locally on that machine you wouldn't be so impressed with how small the footprint is, there's a reason for it.

You are honestly well and truly a bootlicking faggot. The only improvement since then is streaming video and video quality and audio compression. No other improvements in software WHAT SO EVER.

I'm a man. I'm not sitting up here like I'm the biggest badass around but, you punch me I'm gonna punch back. And I can sit back and tell you my family name is secure, and I've done the job I'm supposed to do. It's not some power trip its just who I am. I see you you little blood thirsty bloat worshiping maggots. Whatever happens to me I just pray to got you get brought real low, real low for what you've done you little son of a bitch. So you understand one thing, there's a real world out there, there's a real God there's a real devil. And for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. And I want all the little men to know something. You were brought up as pieces of shit. And you thought you could dominate everybody cause you were so insecure, and you thought people who were better than you were bad because they were better than you when they were building a stairway to heaving for you. And so now you've started fights with people that are gonna break every bone in your body. So when you metaphysically have had your sternum broken and your ribs broken and your little neck strung up, you remember, that you ran into real men, and we kicked your ass.

Attached: Capture.png (1092x717, 566K)

ok highschooler