If I want to go into the video game industry, is learning Python worth it or should I just skip to C# or C++...

If I want to go into the video game industry, is learning Python worth it or should I just skip to C# or C++? From what I've perused, it's so much more complicated just printing script in C# compared to Python, so I feel like that's a little tough for me as a beginner but I'll learn it if I have to.

Attached: 1559497382498.png (658x652, 273K)

>it's so much more complicated just printing script
printing a string I mean fuck

C# a blend between the two in terms of skill. People simply don't write games in Python while c++ and c# are popular. Lua is also popular (simple like Python too) but you don't see much of it outside game development. If you want to do Lua look at love2d. If you want to do Python look at pygame. If you want to do c# look at monogame or unity.

Godot has it's own scripting language. I saw a video by a C++ programmer who started using Godot because you can use C++ and he said he ended up using the Godot language instead

>because you can use C++
You can do this in almost any game engine. Godot actually really sucks for c++ because shit documentation. Godot is a meme. It's popularity has nothing to do with merit. If you want c++ support go with something like urho3d.

Why isn't Python used in vidya development much? It seems like the most simple, straightforward language.

Looking at Lua, it definitely looks pretty similar, so I'll look into it, thanks.

The documentation is the source code. The whole engine is built to be easy to read and hack on. If you're familiar with the scripting system you'll figure it out just fine. It's all the same APIs but in C++. My experience with it is that you should not be using C++ modules until you hit performance bottlenecks anyway.

why is urho3d better than Godot?

>Why isn't Python used in vidya development much?
It's slow.

How so?

Python can be skipped
C# is easier to learn and it's got support in Unity for entry level game programmers
C++ is far more versatile and lets you get into making your own engines but is trickier

Not OP but i've been interested in getting into game dev for awhile now. I'm probs going down the godot path cuz FOSS but i want to make a web game where i can create real unique renders and physics. Will godot support this? i have no experience with game engines. Game will probs be single player platform style game.

Attached: download.jpg (236x565, 21K)

Professional gamedev here. I've used many engines over the years, wrote small ones, etc...

Use Unity or Unreal if you seriously want to learn how games are put together. Many professional games are shipped in those engines, and they have a strong beginner community. Unity in particular has an amazing skill-ramp from beginner to expert, and C# is a safe language to learn game dev concepts in. Unity also has plenty of profiling tools so you can begin to understand how your code choices effect performance, which onramps nicely to learning about manual memory management and multithreading (which unity now has via Native containers and a job scheduler).

Godot is a toy engine, and Unity practice will land you jobs and collaborators that you would otherwise not have access to if you only knew Godot.

Attached: 40-capture_06102010_211128.png (480x320, 38K)

Godot supports running in the web browser
Unity is nonfree botnet software

It's a dynamically typed language with garbage collection

I'm making a game in c++ with only OpenGL libs to get me up and running, OpenAL and some single header libs, and compiled in GCC. Feels good being free from bloated engines and dumb crap.

Nice.

So, you're gonna write a physics engine and an animation system from scratch as well? Good luck, you're gonna need it.

what are the best resources for learning modern graphics programming these days?

just import Bullet

Nobody knows, it should have the same performance characteristics as Lua but it's slow as fucking balls

The best resources are for old OpenGL

>From what I've perused, it's so much more complicated just printing script in C# compared to Python
Yeah, I in C# its a couple of lines of code in python one, dude, how COMPLEX.

Try actually making a game, start with the LIBRARY/TOOL and then choose the language.

>How so?
It is an interpreted language which tries to give a high level of abstraction, it is basically the total opposite of everything that would scream "speed".

bump

I'd recommend starting with java or C#. Python lets you get away with things you really shouldn't be doing. If you later realise you need it it's easy enough to pick up

If you want to learn Java look at LibGDX. You'll know an engine inside and out before that one's over. It's just a framework and you'll have to write a lot of the tools you'll eventually want to use, like tile map loaders and stuff.

Avoid the meme language ones though, like GameMaker. They use some hackneyed language that gets you in bad habits in a swift fashion. They're good for prototypes at best.