I'm a software engineer trying to get into embedded / ee for home improvement and automation etc

I'm a software engineer trying to get into embedded / ee for home improvement and automation etc.

I'm trying to just play around with breadboards and make circuits. Why do you have to do math still with this shit? Do I really have to calculate what type of resistor I need between components? Is there literally no way around this if I want to build any sort of complex circuit?

Where are my monadic types?! I want electrical resistance to be abstracted away! I have a self regulating power supply and I thought that would be enough, but no, these miserable fucks keep doing math, by themselves, ON PURPOSE.

Please tell me there's a better alternative to this bullshit and I'm just doing things the hard way. Electrical engineers, I am ashamed of you right now.

Attached: time_lapse_schematic.jpg (1200x670, 66K)

You're doing it wrong. There are hobby gadgets that have most of the wiring figured out. Like relay modules and motor controllers/escs.

So my options are either 1. Do math bullshit or 2. Buy a million different chink chips for everything I want? I guess they aren't that expensive but that seems very inefficient

You need to know ohm's law. Perhaps you may need to Laplace transform your system if you have a complicated LRC circuit and must find some parameters for a control sequence. These maths are covered in engineering first year I believe.

I get your frustration, but I would just use p-spice or something to figure out the resistance you need. You shouldn't let things like laplace transforms and shit hold you back from a hobby.

T - EE and ME

lmfao, quit being a little bitch. It's basic fucking math. Little multiplying here, little dividing there. What are you fucking 8?

No I'm not 8, I haven't done mathematical calculations since I was 8 though. What fucking year is this?? Isn't EE literally about building computers? But you don't use them afterwards or what???

>p spice
Looks like it would be very helpful. But you have to buy it. Any free software versions of it?

I was kinda hoping I could use more hardware components rather than just staring at a screen and building it in a simulator first. Is there any weird plug n play shit that would be useful on a breadboard? I might be willing to drop a few hundred for a general use piece of hardware that can magic away my maths.

What on earth are you on about? Ohms law is not fucking rocket science, learn it or kys

I think you missed the word "calculations" in my post. I know ohm's law. But do you actually have to do calculations when designing a circuit?

Also, why are transistors so complicated? Maybe I'm just being retarded here, but in software they always just say a transistor is an on/off switch. Doesn't seem that way. They can also be used as amplifiers or some shit? Wtf?

LTSpice. P spice is too complex and bloat for hobby.

there's nothing complicated about them at all, you have a base pin which is your signal in, you have a ground pin and an emitter

it's a fucking switch

it's an on off switch, because its designed to abstracted that way. it's complicated under the hood, but all you need to know is the threshold voltage that magically makes it turn on rather than off.
we didn't learn transistor circuits until 3rd year. but most hobbyists will just use a cheap pi/arduino for whatever they want to do instead of buying all the individual chips, exactly for what problems you're talking about.
i did some pspice but haven't touched any of it since school

Attached: 1566775597008.png (500x501, 80K)

>math
Have some advice: close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and analog electronics

I'm sure you're overcomplicating what ever you're trying to do. Go to for help. This board doesn't do electronics

this is like Algebra 1 tier math
how retarded are you exactly?

Software """"""""""Engineer""""""""""

i think you need to look for a different career

>This board doesn't do electronics
which is why this board fucking sucks

So you turn it on with voltage on the middle pin? And that allows flow through the other two pins?? How do you know which direction???

Fuck you guys I'm gonna build a monadic resistance circuit - no more maths for me. Have fun doing your numbers crunching. Do you at least use a calculator?

I just want a flip flop latch toggled by a fucking button! Should be easy right??

Maybe you want a T flip flop

>software engineer

Okay so, CS dropout. Got it.
Don't bother with EE if you're this retarded. Just get a job at McDonalds or kill yourself.

>Fuck you guys I'm gonna build a monadic resistance circuit - no more maths for me

This ought to be good. Do elaborate on exactly how you plan to build it? I'd like to make one myself you see.

I hope this is low quality bait, but, ee fag here. you do math to calculate values in order to not burn shit up and make it work properly. period.

For example, yes, you can connect a led directly to a micrcontroller output pin, and probably it will work, but if you're not aware that this way makes the internal circuitry of the mc give as much current it can handle then don't surprise when that shit stop working.

Another thing, all the complex math is for analogic electronics and stuff like that. Calculating transfer functions, frequency domain responses, etc. For digital shit it's not so complicated.

Some rules of thumb:
-5V for everything to work it's enough most of the time.
-regular leds consume 20mA to bright properly.
-220ohm resistor between 5V source (or mc output pin) and a led is enough.
-1kohm resistor as a pull-up or pull-down for a mc input pin should be enough.

The good news are that digital electronics is for kidos. You should be able to don't burn up your shit most of the time.

The bad news is that digital electronics are a particular case of analog electronics. In the paper all works perfectly, but in practice you can always mess it up at some point.

Attached: Heavy_Bait.png (680x1147, 916K)

I haven't worked out the details yet, but do you even know about monads or higher kinded types??

Anyways, I imagine it would be some kind of tiny module that has input and output. And a load in the center. Plenty of space for any number of pins. This would be your monadic container. Instead of wiring directly to the breadboard, you would wire each component to this thing, and then wire that thing to the breadboard. Or maybe organize them in some way. But this chip would then have something on it that could analyze the input and output voltage, as well as the connected modules voltage parameters, and automatically adapt the resistance to the right amount. You could use a nickel cable, which changes resistance depending on its temperature.

There may be a better or simpler way of going about this, but no one has suggested anything so I assume that you're all just bashing numbers on a calculator like cavemen.

Yeah but imagine if like.. You could develop in such a way that the math is abstracted away, and you operate within a set of rules that don't limit what you can do, but prevent you from making mistakes. Do you just have to use a drag n drop simulator for that?

How hard could it be?

typical CS major

>Yeah but imagine if like.. You could develop in such a way that the math is abstracted away
ok...
>and you operate within a set of rules that don't limit what you can do

ok. math doesn't limit what you can do, physics do. math just represent what is physically happening, i'm not going to bother to extend this point beyond its logical scope, but no. you need to know the math in order to understand the building blocks. Once you understood those you can build up the shit you imagine AND can know a priori it will work. At this point you will develop by intuition, draw some schematics, simulate, verfy that shit works as intended, implement in real world, test, rinse and repeat as necessary.

>Do you just have to use a drag n drop simulator for that?

look for Proteus schematic capture.

Of course you need to know the math. That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying it's ridiculous that you have to calculate the math yourself. Don't worry my man, my monadic circuits will stop all of that nonsense. I'm already working on a code of conduct that you must comply with in order to use it as well.

>I'm a software engineer
>want electrical resistance to be abstracted away
lemme guess, you only know python and maybe some javascript but only enough to create a mess and you actively shill against C and often cry about it not being "secure" or some shit, right?

you should expect to have to do at least back of the envelope calculations for every electronics circuit. Look at a transistor datasheet sometime. They don't put all those numbers and graphs there just because they want to.

you can make an rc filter with a huge range of component values for the same cutoff frequency. But only certain values make sense; resistors and capacitors come in certain values, and capacitors are not usually available in "big" sizes (1F). Unlike in software, where you operate in a logical construct with many layers of abstraction, electronics is limited by practical realities, that are sadly very complex - but that's reality.

Depending on what you're making, you can use ballpark figures for breadboarding then determine the best values through experimentation.

And some sort of debouncer

>This much crying because you have to divide a voltage a current to get it in the right range for some LED
I thought most CS majors minored in math. I stand corrected.
Since it's embedded systems, you're supposed to be dealing with FPGA's, PLC's and MicroC's. The 'circuitry' part is just connecting a sensor to some system. Literally the hardest things about embedded systems are figuring out how to convert some thing into a voltage between some range, programming a chip/synthesizing logic and/or designing hardware/PCB layout.
DESU, you calling yourself a 'software engineer' is a bit suspect.

t. Electronics Engineer.

Attached: 1389068220023.png (778x1068, 48K)

Sorry user I googled and I only found logic gates diagrams, not circuit diagrams.

My monadic components will only deal with one parameter, or type, at a time. For instance, rather than using precalculated, static valued resistors, it would have a nickel cable modulated by pulse frequencies to adapt to any desired resistance value. This will be configured by a separate supervisor module performing static analysis of the entire circuit to determine the amount of resistance needed between each connection. Because, as you know, nickel wire changes its resistance depending on its temperature.

You just need to do this once, and then you can reuse it on any circuit design, and you never have to do the math again. The supervisor module will persist the state of the circuit and each resistor value if you want to create a simplified version once you've finished your prototype. This way you will never need to do any mathematical calculations by yourself, and there is no risk of human mistakes overloading any of your components.

I haven't worked out how to generalize the other components, but I will figure it out when I need to.

Doesnt this sound much better? Why do EEs insist on calculating values themselves??? It doesn't make you smarter to do so. Why is it that EE requires a degree, but software does not? You'd think people in the field would be more intelligent.

parasitic elements, user. You are only considering resistance, but that wire has some inductance and some capacitance to ground. It is only going to work the way you think it will work for stupid simple circuits. It's why even breadboarding fails as you go up in frequency, the plug in breadboards are trash for signal integrity.

oh what a brilliant idea mister ideas man. But I see one teeny tiny problem, you can't even do basic Ohm's law yet. How do you expect to be able to implement a complex integrated circuit with so many features as this without a deep and thorough understanding of all facets of electronics?

I'm still confused. Can you sketch a block diagram of this device?

Just get an fpga then write your circuit in code. I recommend digilent, get the cheapest board you can get because xilinx charges to develop on their more advanced chips.
Keep in mind that unless you use dacs this will be digital only, but it sounds like that's exactly what you want. Up to a point you can just ignore the math.
Also buy ten because you sound dumb enough to burn up the first nine.

Think of it like a burrito

> Calls himself an engineer
> Complains about math

Fuck off.

He 'just' wants a device that acts like an ideal resistor or capacitor that he can plug in and configure like tweaking constants in software code.

Shh, stop interfering. Let OP tell it. I want to see the diagram of his magnum opus.

Kek

No configuring or tweaking needed here. It should 'just' werk.

this nigga complaining about abstractions but digital electronics is all abstractions. 0 & 1 = voltage level, logic gates, flip flops = transistors

I missed that detail. How does whatever agent that configures the device supposed to know the value? You want your software agent to read your mind, and engineer the circuit you want (with no understanding on your part - of course) then auto configure all your monadic devices to the proper value?

Good sir, just ask for a magic wand and skip the unpleasant prototyping phase entirely!

You have a ton of easy to use gui tools for this which do this all for you.

Like I said, the supervisor module will predetermine the values using static analysis techniques.

Your boss is going to ask why you aren't already using this technique by next week, so study up on category theory

I can't wait to retire.

He wants to replace all the resistors in a circuit diagram with nickel cables (the thing they use to heat up toasters). So if you want high resistance you heat up the cable based on the input and output. Basically it's a toaster

This is very likely a bait post but so many software engineers are way too ignorant of just basic low level computer science/architecture.

It's a monad I think. Or something similar. Do roasters really use nickel wires? Why??

>but no, these miserable fucks keep doing math, by themselves, ON PURPOSE.
Yes, I get nervous when I read page of text without any equations.
>Also, why are transistors so complicated?
Quantum mechanics.

Attached: ee.jpg (2479x3508, 891K)

>Also, why are transistors so complicated?
Because God made them that way

How did you become a "software engineer?" I studied CS and had to take a year's worth of calculus then linear algebra and statistics.

If you think that's hard try learning feedback control, I graduated years ago and I still have nightmares about transforms.

>do you actually have to do calculations when designing a circuit?
do you have to deal with logic, data structures and algorithms when writing software?
>b-but muh higher level of abstraction
fuck off. That's why electronics are physical layer on communications model, you can't abstract them more than they are. Can you abstract logic itself to something more intuitive? why do i have to deal with recursion? for fucks sake user, prior to try to change the game rules you have to learn the game rules.