/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: B8672F54-CBAA-4B99-BB80-1731A8DF69B5.jpg (4032x3024, 3.04M)

first for x230t being epic laptop. also first for FUCK ANIME FAGGOTS

Good thinkpads with a nvidia gpu (need cuda) capable of running modern gayms?

Just got an E595 which is my first thinkpad, is there any sort of care I should be aware of to keep it going for as long as possible?
While googling I saw a single post on reddit mention the E series can leave key imprints on your screen when closed but that makes no sense to me and I couldn't find any source on it.

anime website

Attached: thinkpad.png (1920x1080, 984K)

imagine posting on 4channel and hating anime

Attached: 1558659965178 (1).jpg (960x738, 58K)

anime is ok

Lenovo legion y530 are welcome in /tpg/?

>archiso

Ideal thinkpad for lower end gaming and general use? (tester for VGL, so running PES 16/17). Seeing T420/30/40 for around 200-300 syrupbucks on eBay.

Attached: 1533909678961.png (1616x909, 2.81M)

How do I get rid of the T440p's wifi whitelist?

Just won an auction on a x60 with a t5600 CPU, intel says it's 64 bit capable. So does that mean it can use 8gb of ram?

I bought a Lenovo laptop. Now what?

Attached: l.jpg (800x860, 120K)

Now you sell it and get a ThinkPad.

For me it's the X220

Why? An Ideapad is just as good.

get some russian to mod your bios for you then flash it with a $8 programmer off ebay

Whatever supports Thunderbolt and quad-core CPUs. Yes, these are gonna be lower-end specs in a year or two. May I suggest Zbook/W520 and onwards? Srsly, T430 w/NV GPU isn't enough for indies nowadays.

>anime site

Attached: 1560092085155.jpg (4048x3036, 2.11M)

>Jow Forums

>ideapad
>windows
>weird western shit
you were so close.. all you have to do now is install chrome, ditch amd, buy an iphone and you will be well on your way of being Jow Forums approved!

>he thinks g isn't the secret anime board

Attached: 356929CC5B014F45B749EA708B985F06.png (800x799, 752K)

i have a 9750h laptop and the cpu gets pretty much limited to a max of it's base clock once the battery falls below 50%, no matter the power profile. anyone know what's causing this and how i can fix this?
bios is pretty barebones so can't change anything on there.

install gentoo

>shadman

ignore ideapad users

Attached: 1567325789112.jpg (751x900, 141K)

I did look into it a bit, and the W520 is a bit out of my budget going by eBay pricing. I don't think I'll be going above CSGO if anything. Possibly War Thunder on low settings. But the main objective is being able to run older PES games for virtual divegrass testing.

I'm replacing a 5 year old Ideapad that can run PES, but it's shitting the bed.

is eBay the best place to get a thinkpad? I got suspended for some bs reason and I'm looking for a t440p

>ideapad
Inexpensive and good quality/ratings
>windows
best os for actually getting shit done. I don't want to deal with libreoffice for school.
>weird western shit
Shad isn't weird

>chrome, ditch amd, buy an iphone
sorry but it's firefox, amd, and android for me.

>good quality

Attached: dude trust me.png (500x111, 15K)

Is Windows 10 on X201T maximum comfy? Anyone using 10 on the X tablet series?

>good reviews
macbooks, beats, samsung, iphone, etc. all have the best ratings and guess what..
they're all shit. reviews mean shit.

also
>ideapad
>good quality
kek'd

>windows 10
>getting shit done
use windows 7(9) fag

Attached: windows9.jpg (642x800, 65K)

//////ATTENTION ALL//////
DO NOT GIVE THE IDEAFAG ANY MORE UNNECESSARY (You)'S
//////END OF MESSAGE//////

macbooks and samsung are good quality, just overpriced

price is not the problem fren, they're shit just shit products i wouldn't buy even if half off.
just got note 10+ for 600$, hardware is perfect but one ui is fucking shit and you can not flash rom because knox is there to make you phone worthless.

Attached: 0944_-_WA6KafX.jpg (750x750, 138K)

no, this is thinkpad general

was installing arch on my X220, just switched to debian though because muh stability

>
flash coreboot

>72565221
>72565286
not giving you a (You), but nice bait

this is an anime website user...

>E series
return it and get a real laptop (T580 would be best for you user

Attached: 1556993040488.png (1920x1080, 111K)

Now THIS is top-shelf bait. Bravo.

Attached: 1562186113343.jpg (720x719, 47K)

I encountered that one other thread that claimed the Elitebook 8460p is better than the T420, and anons there said the Dell Precision are the best laptops in the current market right now. Is this true?

Moot isn't around anymore. He fucked off as soon as he came into terms with the fact that gamergate and pol overtook this website.

I'm about to buy a T430S 2.90 GHz i7/16GB DDR3/256 GB SSD for $330 CAD. Am I getting fucked?

raped would be more accurate

yeah I know, but I'm travelling somewhere on Tuesday and I need a new laptop before I leave. I wanted a T430S and it's the only one in my city with an i7. It's worth about $260 CAD right? I figure I'm paying 70$ for convenience.

going away to study, refurbished laptops seem like the only option (for my budget)
I'm considering getting the Toshiba Tecra R940 for 240€
what do you think?

My X220 is just past eight years old and it's going to be 10 before long now. Theoretically, how many more years can I get out of this sumbitch?

depends on what you expect of it :^)

8GB RAM and a pair of SSDs will last you for a long time.

8gb of ram is now horse shite 32gb will last you for a long time. Forget 16gb its also shite

8 is fine for Linux. I usually don't exceed 2.5 in normal use even with Firefox open.

What's a good Thinkpad model for laying in bed watching hentai?

X200

Guize, I have a w520 and every time I scroll, I hear a small buzzing noise coming from some hardware on the bottom left corner. It ramps up immediately as I'm scrolling and turns off immediately after.
I think it basically signifies a spike in CPU usage.
What the heck is it?

not anymore?

Attached: 1554769652389.png (800x600, 66K)

if you only want to watch stuff in bed look for something like a tablet since you don't want to deal with fans and a hot laptop in bed when watching

must be the reason /qa/ is full of schizospammers bumping old threads for months

I just ordered a refurb x230.
i7, 4GB ram for 200€.

what is the best way to upgrade the screen to 1080?

Is the nitrocaster mod with the LG LP125WF4-SPB1 screen still the best way to go about it?

I live in Europe. Anyone know where I can order it from europe?

x200, x201, x220 ?

The X200 supports libreboot, so if you're into Freedom, go for that

I don't know much about the X201 sadly

The X220 (I think) still supports coreboot and has a more recent cpu, so if you need the extra performance, it's there. It also has a trackpad and not just the trackpoint for people who haven't taken the trackpill yet

x201 is the last usable model IMO. It still got a classic keyboard layout and 16:10 screen, but at the same time a relatively modern CPU (1st gen core i), wich supports AES-NI and VA API. The main downside is a maximum of 8GB RAM supported.

Ignore this faggot, I have all 3, first gen core series sucks donkey balls, X200 or X220.

Whats the build quality like on T460?

Is it possible to upgrade the camera in my t440?

not that the cameras have improved, like, at all anyway lol

They are pretty shit which is why I was hoping there would be at least SOMETHING slightly better.

Not really, you might be able to do some secret squirrel bullshit individually bridging connections on the board from a better webcam and then stuffing the Frankensteined board back in the housing but that's a lot of work and effort for something that still won't be very good

If you need a really good webcam buy a logitech standalone webcam and just carry it around with you, it'll be infinitely better than anything you'll get onboard any laptop and is like $25

Help! I was just fired from my job and I need a flashy looking laptop that I can demo software to people on.

Basically I need something that can run ubuntu + 6 docker services quite well with about 8GB ram and 4 threads but also look decent in a business meeting.

Anyone can help?

X200 reporting in.

Attached: USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1685085351.jpg (1080x810, 237K)

I guess it's official then... we are no longer an anime site

probably coil whine

based jap layout

Anyone got a X200/220 tablet? What's the screen like for writing? Do you have to keep your palm off the screen? The ability to send hand-drawn diagrams is something i'd miss.

T440p w/ 4x00MQ

x201 is peak comfy, x220 is nice but it has no latch or 16:10 screen so isn't as good
nice desu

Attached: 1550414423595219.jpg (1740x2320, 2.66M)

Why did you stopped putting the previous thread at the beginning of the OP?
Previous thread:

x220 having no latch is the reasons why i dont have one yet. how could they do this to us?

the screen still stays shut okay, its just not satisfying to open and close

I'm heading to a location where, unfortunately, power outages are common and can be lengthy
Looking at the option of a Thinkpad + usb powered backup drive vs. UPS. The point being a graceful shutdown in case of an extended power outage - using mains power most of the time and reverting to battery if needed
At minimum, it would be running home security/automation as well as a Nextcloud service for my family
Display/graphics don't matter, but its preferable to run a CPU prior to IME
Suggestions?

Don't use laptops as servers. Get a UPS.

Sometime ago I got a used t470 with some slight scratches on the display, which bother me more and more with the time. I have the innolux N140HCA-EAB, which is shitty anyway.

Should I upgrade to the 300 nit AUO one, or fiddle around more and install the low-powered 400 nits NE140FHM-N61 one from t490/s. Is the slower response time reason to worry ? I dont play much games and see the occasional movie

thx

>tfw recieving my x250 today
Im excited lads

Attached: genova_suit.jpg (720x960, 62K)

Man i am stupid.
I bought an expresscard dummy card, but I accidentally bought one for the wrong machine. I thought they were all identical. Turns out I was wrong. I tried shaving the card to make it fit.
Long story short it's stuck maybe a centimeter inside the slot.
I thought the end was what kept it from fitting, so I removed the end, intending on putting some tape or something on the inside to make it stay put, but it was in actuality the front keeping it from fitting. After I shaved the front I was left with a too short plastic thing that I put inside. It fit, snugly so. I tried to remove it and somehow pushed it in deeper and now it's stuck there.

Is this bullshit possible to remove?

Attached: IMG_20190902_165943.jpg (4608x2176, 2.46M)

the lines? im pretty sure ive heard magic erasers work wonders on shit like that

Are keyboard between xx30 models interchangeable?

Looks worse in the pics than IRL

Forgot second pic

Attached: IMG_20190902_171621.jpg (4608x2176, 2.05M)

Thanks, I'll try find some. Not sure we have those in Ireland

Got my refurbished X1 Carbon 3rd generation today in preparaion for uni in a few weeks and I really like it.
The screen is nice and the keyboard is really good. I'm still getting used to the weird red dot mouse thing, but I'm very happy that I got it. Thanks to the user who I spoke to about it

Get a P serise ThinkPad then

How long does the battery last on the t450 with the 3 cell external battery? (not the s variant btw) I need a new laptop for college and battery life is a must.

Will a battery for a T530 work in an X220. Also is an X220 a viable pick as a daily driver? Web surfing, video watching, writing and office programs.

How can i make my T400 boot faster from a SSD?

I think it is viable for that but honestly if you don't care about the old ibm style aesthetics and keyboards that much, just get something more modern.
I do hate how lenovo has neutered the whole thinkpad line but those machines are getting pretty old desu.

>put ssd inside laptop
>install linux on it

this +core/libreboot if you haven't already

Why libreboot/coreboot ? The stock bios is a problem ?

Should I keep my t420 on manjaro or change it back to windows for uni?

Why x220 doesn't have latch ? T420 does, so y think go for x201...

>Why x220 doesn't have latch
idk i didn't design it retard

Attached: 1530417390681.png (189x164, 50K)