Why haven't you taken the laptop pill yet Jow Forums?

Why haven't you taken the laptop pill yet Jow Forums?
Let's recap:
Desktops are:
>loud
>bulky
>don't come with a built in display
>don't come with a mic nor speakers
>sometimes they don't come with bluetooth
>sometimes they don't come with a keyboard nor mouse
>not portable
>won't save you from losing your work on a power outage
>can't be used on a bed/couch/kitchen etc...
>cables everywhere
>boring to repair
Laptops on the other hand:
>are portable
>have batteries
>are mostly silent
>come with a keyboard, touchpad, display, mic AND speakers
>depending on the model, they're are easy to repair (the ones with everything from the cpu to the wifi card, ram and storage exposed after removing the bottom lid).
>can be cheaper than desktops while delivering features that none of them have
>can be used as a tablet
>some can even fit on your pocket

Attached: laptop.jpg (791x791, 50K)

What's that laptop OP?

If only tablets with detachable keyboards were good enough so that we wouldn't need desktops or laptops.

Attached: 1434260588751.jpg (1280x1244, 288K)

T H E R M A L T H R O T T L I N G

Attached: 1567304349132.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

dunno ... maybe it's the 6 screens on my superworkstation? laptops are good for 'adult gifs'

They release volatile organic compounds due to inferior heat dissipation. They are a serious health risk.

Attached: 1563967328017_0.jpg (871x971, 126K)

Not an issue when you use them as fancy terminals. For development, I backup mine by powerful PC which does all the dirty work, while my MBP debuggs remotely and stays cold. Great battery life, too.

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13

The trade-off is that they are slower and more expensive/performance.

The redpill is a laptop with a Dockingstation for shitposting/programming/University stuff and a Desktop for gayming/everything that requires performance.

Maybe don't buy apple computers or meme ultrabooks?
Now you're just speaking out of your ass.

>MBP
Lol.
What kind of faggot are you?

>Now you're just speaking out of your ass.
I'm a medical physicist. Laptops reach very high temperatures which cause these materials to degas a large amount of particulate matter which you are breathing in. Particulate matter of this size is absorbed into your blood. This causes many diseases. You may as well inhale fumes from burning tires.

my dream is to build a desktop setup that i can just dock my laptop to for desktop grade performance, too bad i'm poor

Laptops:
More expensive than their desktop counterparts
Terrible at ergonomics
Shit keyboard and keyboard layout
Always have some sort of tradeoff ex: lightweight = poor specs
Disposable and hardly repairable

eGPUs my friend

>durr what's context
Different use cases require different equipment.
You can go ahead and try to do hardcore 3D animation on a laptop, but it'll be hell on earth for you especially if you do it day in and day out no matter what laptop you use (as if it were your job).
If you were a musician, on the other hand, you'd want to use a laptop because you'd want something you can take with you on tour.
Most people who only use their computers for casual tasks should be using a laptop, yes, but to try to position laptops as 'factually' or 'objectively' better than desktops would just be silly and naive.
As laptops become exponentially more powerful, so do desktops. The power gap will never close.

Laptops:
+ Portable
+ Powerful (enough for most people)
: Wildly variable pricepoints
- Far less repairable / modular than desktops
- Not powerful (enough for some people)

My first laptop arrived today. I'm a complete computer newfag, idk what software to get

GNU, obviously. Windows is unusable.

I'm actually thinking of running Mac OS because I use a lot of music production software in school

macOS is good. If you can use it then do so.

nice larp idiot

> Desktop loud
> Laptop silent
what?

>not having both and tailoring each to your specific needs

Return it and get a macbook.

I'll bite.

>loud
Not necessarily. depends on the hardware.
>bulky
depends on the form factor you choose
Which is a good thing, you can pick any display(s) to suit your needs. Also, there's an iMac.
Some do, you can buy high quality speakers and mic.
Desktops are expandable. You can add bluetooth if you want
come on, that's reaching.
>not portable
well, duh. If you need something portable, buy a laptop. Also, there's mac mini and Nuc.
what's UPS?
don't tell me how to live my life.
>cables everywhere
If you're a slob
>boring to repair
good argument, bro.
>are portable
yes, that's why you buy them
>have batteries
they wouldn't be very portable without it.
>are mostly silent
ahahaahahahahahahahhahahahahahah. Mostly NOT
>come with a keyboard, touchpad, display, mic AND speakers
yeah, it would really suck if they didn't
>depending on the model, they're are easy to repair (the ones with everything from the cpu to the wifi card, ram and storage exposed after removing the bottom lid).
which is only a few devices on the market
>can be cheaper than desktops while delivering features that none of them have
what
>can be used as a tablet
sure, if that's what you need
>some can even fit on your pocket
a phoneposter spotted!

5/10 made me reply out of boredom

checked

stop triggering autistic gaymurs, OP.

My last PC had 128mb RAM and geforce 2, I took the laptop pill long time ago and it's great

I'm surprised didn't reply with
>>chinkshit
>dropped

bga failure

I feel like if I get a laptop too powerful, I end up spending more time on it doing unproductive shit. Easier to separate desktop for entertainment and a weaker laptop for work.

I don’t want Comrade Pooh to know my fetishes, thank you very much.

>Desktops are:
>>loud
LOL

Enjoy your fan spinning up to 5000RPM when you open your web browser, poorfag.

Computers should not be portable.

Laptops are:
>hard to repair
>lack interchangeable options
>aren't as fast
>break easily
>harder to cool
>have less ports
>are more expensive
Go choke on your jew pill, OP.

>MacBook
>cold
The comedy never ends!

What are you, 10?

The super cheap laptop + decent desktop combo is the true redpill

>no scientific evidence
Aaaand into the trash it goes.
>hard to repair
t. faggot who thinks all laptops are macbooks and never disassembled a thinkpad
>have less ports
docking stations, expansion dongles, 2'5/3'5 inch sata drive docking units
>are more expensive
Yet they come with more features, are portable and more useful
>harder to cool/break easily
Again, stop buying shit laptops and claiming every single one sucks like the ones you used.

Last time I owned a laptop was in 2007 with some AMD processor and integrated nvidia gpu I think. It was pretty gud but chunky and like 2 hours battery life.
Bought a T440 a few weeks ago with i5-4300u, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd and 1080p IPS for £170, bought a 68+ battery for £35 and now it lasts well over 10 hours for me. Fans dont spin up and it takes quite a bit for it to even get to 60C. It's surprisingly fast too. So far its been a 10/10 laptop experience but for muh gaymez I will always have a desktop.

But I have user... x1 extreme just came in this weekend.

Attached: IMG_20190830_174056.jpg (4032x3024, 2.67M)

On what planet does anyone think all laptops are Macbooks? I fix shit for a living. The only people that have easy to open laptops around here are the ones who asked me what to get. As for connectivity, your argument is to make it more like a desktop? More features? The standard laptop has wireless and a touchpad as the only common extra things making them different from a desktop. Stop buying shit laptops? The only ones that are worth anything tend to cost well over $1000, and still tend to have major issues well before they should.

>>loud
>>bulky
This doesn't have to be the case, but can certainly be true.
>not portable
Desktops aren't supposed to be any of these things. These aren't critiques or even cons, unless you're anchoring your argument to the side of laptops to begin with (which you obviously are, but this isn't how you prove something is better or worse - this is a sales pitch).
I'm off the grid, so this isn't an issue for me.
I don't use a computer in any of those places, so this isn't an issue for me.
>cables everywhere
I have exactly one more cable that isn't hidden than a laptop using its adapter (ethernet cable).
>boring to repair
Your personal opinion. I would say easier to repair, since you have significantly more room to work with and many desktops don't feature soldered in hardware by design, meaning it's easier to replace dead parts. It's also frequently cheaper, since specialty mobile versions don't have to be manufactured. None of your points address the serious downsides to having a laptop, though, which are
>subpar performance, even with top-end hardware, compared to desktop equivalents
>always trading performance for battery life, necessarily tethering you to a power outlet if you want to do any serious work that lasts longer than an hour or two (read: most actual work)
>frequently difficult to upgrade unless you pay a premium for a "desktop replacement" style laptop
>mobile parts are underperforming and overpriced compared to desktop counterparts
A laptop is either a compromise or a toy for people who use a computer as an entertainment device, or only do light word processing and e-mailing for work.

You've attempted to sell me something I have no desire to use. Good attempt, though.

>desktops are loud and laptops are mostly silent
Have you ever actually USED a computer of any kind? How do you come up with this retarded crap?

>t. faggot who thinks all laptops are macbooks and never disassembled a thinkpad
Thinkpads(insofar as repairability of laptops is concerned) are the exception to the rule. Have you ever tried to disassemble a laptop that ISN'T a thinkpad?

Fucking this. Surface pro 4 is a prime example of a laptop that was deliberately designed to not be opened and serviced. The whole fucking thing is glued together.
I can take my t440 apart in minutes.

Let's recap:
Desktops are:
>loud
>bulky
>not portable
>cables everywhere
>boring to repair

>are onions
>have onions
>are mostly onions
>come with a onions, onions display, onions AND onions
>depending on the onions, they're are easy to onions (the ones with everything from the onions to the onions card, onions and basedage exposed after removing the bottom lsoy).
>can be baseder than basedtops while basedinging features that none of them onions
>can be used as a basedlet
>onions

Attached: 9yh6ArS.jpg (766x1024, 287K)

Fucking this. Why did the tablet turn out to be such a stillbirthed platform? It's so much more convenient than a laptop.

>no scientific evidence
Your lack of knowledge in physics and chemistry is what you are referring to. It is trivial that inhaling VOCs cause diseases. They are VOCs because the materials have very low boiling points. They degas PM2.5 into the air. The materials used in laptops are a health hazard combined with their typical operating temperatures. This is partially why indoor air quality is poor relative to the outdoor air quality.

Attached: FB6A5040-D569-4111-A2E2-4CC3F0AC1FA9_bypfixyuf.jpg (1200x768, 102K)

Or try HP Pavilion. The number of plastic clips and hidden screws is immense. You need a manual and luck to get that bullshit open.

Benefits of a Desktop
> Loud -- you'll always know when its on
> Bulky -- Harder for someone to steal it
> No built in display -- you can pick out your own!
> No built in mic or speakers -- Government can't hear you fapping to anime girls
> Doesnt come with bluetooth -- Just get a cable!
> Doesn't come with keyboard or mouse -- Thats because you can always put one in that you like! Those track-pads hurt the wrist
> Not portable -- No need! The desktop is a DESKtop! Leave work at work, have fun at home.
> Won't save you from losing work in a power outage -- To keep you on your toes, you should save often anyway!
> Can't be used on a bed/couch/kitchen -- not with that attitude it can't!
> Cables everywhere -- Thats when you learn the importance of cable management!
> Boring to repair -- Only to the weenies who can't handle it!

Laptops are good man don't get me wrong, some of my best friends use laptops, but I'm stickin' with my good old desktop here. Later dude!

Attached: Far out bro.jpg (489x305, 27K)

My piece of shit Toshiba satellite of 3 years is near fucking dying despite me paying 700+ for it

Fucking Chink fans are killing me
This is like the 3rd one in my life that has failed all because of the fucking chink fan

I swear I'm going to desktop's forever after this

Attached: 338-Solrock.png (300x276, 76K)

astronomic IQ

Take the common sense pill.
>everything has its uses
>desktops have a much better performance/cost ratio, and are generally more reliable
>but portability of laptops is extremely useful
Ideally you'd own one of each.