2019 AD

>2019 AD
>Linux still doesn't have a global menu bar

Attached: black-menu-bar-featured~2.png (203x166, 19K)

GNOME had this and we hated it. So we got rid of this.

Nah idgaf.

>we

what do you mean, a global menu bar?
I don't quite understand, pedro

> it's the taskbar but just text and at the top of the screen!
macfags are truly the world's dumbest of fucking idiots.

it's fucking great for navigating software.
>consistent look
>consistent layout
>more or less consistent keyboard shortcuts
>great search tool

Steve Jobs was a genius. This menubar remained the same since his days, since it's hard to improve upon it.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 14.50.47.png (1486x1022, 718K)

This

Unity had it.

>global menu bar
What the fuck does this mean? Ever consistent context menu? yeah we do, like four of them, it's a shite dynamic for those who use their desktop as design appliances though and bad for everyone else.

Didn't he even take it into NeXTSTEP?

Except that it has.

Attached: Screenshot_20190902_145942.png (1280x800, 1.15M)

>bad for everyone else.
bad how
legit interested

Linux is a kernel. Why would a kernel have a menu bar?

Attached: thats_what_you_think_faggot.png (708x158, 9K)

Contextual menus are powerful because you are supposed to narrow the scope and focus the options to the tools relevant, give too many "options" and you end up getting lost, provide too little and the design freaks scream. Macos is lucky, they got a relatively early ever present context menu, but out of the box it's trash when compared to a simple script launcher when all you want to do is launch say steam or firefox.

Based KDE

>>Linux still doesn't have a global menu bar
Good.

Unity has this and I fucking hated it.

Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME a macfaggot comes up with the
>muh feature that Linux doesn't have
KDE has it. Based KDE, BTFOing mactoddlers since 1998.

This,and it sucks on fagOS, too.

Fucking based as hell

>Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME a macfaggot comes up with the
The only difference, Apple has developer guidelines and forces developers to abide by some rules.

I doubt that the global menu is more than a gimmick in linux OS, since most programmers don't give a fuck about it.

KDE is based (once again)
FagOS is cringe (once again)

You cant change the DE (or even customize it in a meaningful way) in OSX so they kinda have to use it

Sort of; it's movable and closable but the concept is the same.

Attached: openstep_services_menu.gif (468x312, 15K)

yes, and this is what the users love. Consistency. A fixed ruleset.

>more options bad
>Apple user
Like fucking clockwork.

Sure it's bad. Even in programming. You wouldn't want every one of your programmers to implement their unique programming patterns/styles.

What would that software look like? Who could maintain it? And would it be a nice experience to work on it?

Linux is a kernel, retard...
And KDE does have a configurable global menu since years. You can even have a global menu and an app specific menu at the same time, if you want. And you can have the menu on every screen position you want. Take that, mactoddler.

>I doubt that the global menu is more than a gimmick in linux OS, since most programmers don't give a fuck about it.

Qt based programs use it automatically, Firefox has patches from SuSE that enable it and appmenu-gtk does the rest.

Thats why forks exist like MATE is a fork (though more of a continuation) of GNOME 2 after GNOME 3 came out.
Also more options >>>> less options IMO.

So wait.
You admit that when applied to another operating system it's a gimmick.
But it's literately just "apple do majick" that makes it not a gimmick on macos.
The.
Absolute.
State.

GNUtards still think that d*namic linking is a good idea, show them something like this and the expected response will be something like "gui reeeee"

Good

Apple has this (pic related). It enforces the use of global menu and helps you create a consistent interface.

GNU/linux is hacking together something that mimics the apple menu bar.

Tell me, can the KDE global menu show you the location of the element you search for like this for every program that supports it? If not, then it's just a shitty gui gimmick.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 15.37.07.png (2180x1570, 2.02M)

first of all, what did Y ever do to you
second of all, gui reeeee
third of all, libraries are not for macfag tier tools where the name of the game is cope, libraries and dynamic linking is for developers not shills who aim for minimum viable product.

Unity has this. KDE can have it.

>What is .dylib, what is .dll?

Yes, it has been proven that KDE has an ever present context menu already in this thread - that is exactly what has already been told to you.
I however do not use KDE because your shitty gimmicks are shitty gimmicks be they enforced by apple or supported by KDE.
dmenu and actually using good tools > context menus.

>GNOME had this and we liked it. So they got rid of it.

>Unity has this.
Isn't Unity deprecated. As far I know, Ubuntu is using gnome.

That's the problem. So many competing DE's, and all of them suck.

>since most programmers don't give a fuck about it.
What is your argument here?
That the possibility exists that a Linux program won't make full use of this? Sure.
But the possibility also exists for apple, unless applel just blocks all Programms which do not conform to its standards, which is pretty much indefensible.

You can now come up with ever more specific demands that Linux is supposed to have until we are at a point where there are minute details that do not align and you will cry victory.

Linux is about user choice, it doesn't enforce anything, because that would be retarded and profoundly disturbing. If you care more about consistency then software I do not know what to tell you.

>That's the problem.
Whats the problem?
Not having an authoritarian software model and letting users figure out what they want?

Personally these global menus are all fucking garbage, I never want to see one ever again, literally just a waste of space.
But the great thing is on Linux I can CHOOSE have one, or choose not to have one.

No, but Unity can. Sadly, it was killed by Red Hat shills and tryhard LARPers.

Attached: Ubuntu_Unity_Keyboard_shortcuts_-_En.png (1680x1050, 1.12M)

>If you care more about consistency then software I do not know what to tell you.
*than
I do. MacOS has also more software than linux.

Does KDE have that search tool? That things is extremely useful and every OS/Desktop should have something like that.

And Canonical killed it for a fucking foot. God-fuking-dammit.

>MacOS has also more software than linux

citation is required or you have to live with the fact doubles of people will know you're a lyer.

>runs all big commercial software
>runs almost everything that is open source
>has tons of software that runs only on MacOs only

>And Canonical killed it for a fucking foot. God-fuking-dammit.
The only thing shitty about unity was the design. Simple improvements would have picked it.
>blueish main colour (instead of fucking orange)
>more transparency
>softer shaddows

>I do.
So you are insane.

>MacOS has also more software than linux.
???
Any evidence?

> That things is extremely useful and every OS/Desktop should have something like that.
No, not every desktop should have that. Global menus are pure garbage and I am glad I will never have to use one, the search functions seems especially useless.

And?

accurate description of everything the gnome project does

just fork gnome and create your own version with global menu, goy

Linux is a kernel.

No, Unity is forked and is still being worked on.

these are cope, just give me a statistic or some one elses argument, I'm tired and your "it must have more software because it has some windows software then some software that doesn't run anywhere else!" argument is so paper thin it hurts both my temples.

The irony of this post.

>the search functions seems especially useless
is really useful for programs that have a fuckton of menus and submenus and you can't remember the right one

I'm almost sure Ubuntu Mate has something similar to this.

I can run libre office, gimp, blender... I can even install cli tools like ffmpeg and run them in MacOs.

What else is there?

I do not see any use case.
Even on the rare occasion that I use a program which has such a menu, it is almost always the case that I search for something without knowing its exact name.

So can Linux, so this is pretty meaningless.

>linux

Anyone knows if the KDE Plasma 5.14(on debian stable) has this feature without the annoying bugs that previous Plasma versions had?

also, the MacOs version of MPV looks way more polished than the linux version lol

(I can run the linux version MPV too lol)

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 16.16.56.png (2052x1240, 1.77M)

/thread

>Steve Jobs was a genius.
Yes, but the interface was mostly designed by Bill Atkinson.

Attached: Steve-Jobs-Bill-Atkinson-1.jpg (800x532, 126K)

It does. Ubuntu Mate is the shit.

Why would anyone want that
I fucking hate the Mac menu bar, it makes no fucking sense. Have it attached to the program not the top of the screen

>So can Linux, so this is pretty meaningless.
Can linux run Photoshop natively? Can it run Sketch at all?

Attached: sketch.jpg (720x354, 31K)

>shit on linux
>post macos screenshot

it's called the terminal

Underrated post.

It makes perfect usability sense, because the fixed position makes it consistent and easier to aim.

this

so fucking comfy and A E S T H E T I C

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 16.25.08.png (1844x948, 1.87M)

Are you that guy that wants to do "something with media"?

>thinks people who use macOS know what a terminal is or use it.

this, we mostly use iTerm2

Except every time you have to go to the very top of the screen

I use the default terminal application. Why would I need anything else?

>gnu software
Good........

>Why would I need anything else?
split windows, hotkey window overlays, history, more customisability etc

the little things basically..

Why would you want this though? It's an outright antifeature.

>Sadly, it was killed by Red Hat shills and tryhard LARPers.
Are you kidding me? Unity was scrapped because it received nothing but complaints about bugs, and criticisms about Canonical doing special snowflake shit. It doesn't help that Shuttleworth was also making cost cuts to boost his companies value. To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised Unity lasted as long as it did. The outrage over it when it was introduced, was ridiculous, drama queen, bullshit. But I guess that's typical for the Linux community. Look at all of the clowns in this thread complaining about the DE's we have. Linux gets used for so much in this world besides desktops, yet these idiots don't realize how good they have it, given how few and thinly spread the developers for Linux are. Terminal driven stuff will always be a bigger part of Linux than the desktop. Industry demands it.

>Can linux run Photoshop natively? Can it run Sketch at all?
No, but Linux only software also exists, so what is your point.
Comparing 10 programs is completely meaningless.

>global menu bar
earth is flat and so is our bar
deal with it

so fucking cringe and G A Y*

are the crystal gems

Exactly. Red Hat shills attacked Unity because "it's a useless fork" and "it fragments the community" while tyhard LARPers hated on it because it was too easy and noob-friensly unlike their Arch setups.

That's it. The community didn't help with Unity development and every attempt to adapt Unity to run on other distros was met with scorn from those two groups.

no linux fucking software is worth moving to linux for you absolute monkey

I'm on linux to revive old hardware and that's it, this OS can't even use paint.net and FL studio so I really just use linux to watch videos on MPV through smplayer and even then this is just a shitty ripoff of MPCHC

What's that good for?

Unity had that and i liked it.
Then they decided to poopoo the project.

By who?

Dwm makes my life easier. I wouldn't switch to an OS which a garbage UI design like macOS windows is a bit better but that isn't much.

I use Linux for basically all my University, webbrowsing and video watching, it's just so much easier.

Also how is mpv a "ripoff" the concept of a videopplayer didn't originate with mpcch, it's about as much a rip-off of something else as mpv is of it.
And even if? Who cares, as long as mpv is great software it's irrelevant.

MacOS runs Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoCAD, also much-used Apple-specific stuff like Final Cut and Logic Pro, etc.

I like Linux, and I also like Windows. Each OS has its own advantages and disadvantages - each is best suited to different tasks. Having MacOS web servers, while possible, is fucking stupid, for instance. Having a gaming PC running anything other than Windows is also a bit stupid. Although having said that, I've heard that Cemu (Wii U emulator) runs best on Linux, so for that you should use Linux.

So yes, each OS has different advantages. But it must be admitted that Linux, while a great system for so many purposes, doesn't have Adobe Creative Cloud and stuff like that. You might be able to run some of those programs under Wine but it's very far from ideal. So if someone wants a UNIX system that can run Creative Cloud, MacOS is not a terrible choice.

It had nothing to do with RedHat, and more to do with Canonical wanting to be RedHat.

>Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoCAD, Final Cut Logic Pro, Cemu (Wii U emulator)
Harmful nonfree software, do not use. None of that software is an "advantage".

macOS IS NeXTSTEP.

It doesn't have the search functionality like in

Ubports. It's old news. It was forked almost immediately after unity was abandoned by canonical.

Except that people already know how to use it.